unofficial unaVOIDable elf discussion part 12

General Discussion
Prev 1 13 14 15 17 Next
As a Blood Elf main player, I feel like the direction of the game is becoming a joke now. We can take having Paladins on Alliance and Shamans on Horde and then switch them over so that each faction can have the joy of experiencing the feeling.

But races? Seriously? Blood Elves on Alliance and Night Elves on Horde kinda weakened my loyalty to this game and Blizzard in general. Minor changes in the character models could have made them look SO different yet we just got re-skinned stuff with hairstyles that could have been very well received with BE and NE. High Elves would have been a million times better plus the tension between factions could have been very well exploited having them and BE on each faction.

I'm sure money to cover development costs is not an issue for Blizzard, so the reason why we are getting this kind of content is still out of my comprehension.
I may be wrong on this, but it appears the one to lead the Alliance into Uldir to fight G'huun and the void is... Brann Bronzebeard.

http://bfa.wowhead.com/quest=51088/heart-of-darkness

So much for void elves being important, uh?

But... hey, maybe some generic void elf can take a minor role in that.
02/26/2018 11:21 AMPosted by Alamara
I may be wrong on this, but it appears the one to lead the Alliance into Uldir to fight G'huun and the void is... Brann Bronzebeard.

http://bfa.wowhead.com/quest=51088/heart-of-darkness

So much for void elves being important, uh?

But... hey, maybe some generic void elf can take a minor role in that.
i feel bad for void elf players
Trying to inch this more into productive conversation and suggestions, this is what I'd like them to do with Void Elves.

-Have Void Elf members that are part of the 7th Legion, maybe in the form of rangers, warlocks, and Void priests.
-Give Void Elves more characters. All we have are Alleria and Umbric. Nightborne have way more characters, why can't we?
-Give them a definitive architecture style, because right now they don't have one. Have them setup base somewhere in one of the Kul Tiran zones, maybe in Drustvar studying ways to counteract the dark magic there.
-Give them a strong important role in the Alliance. Nightborne bring telemancy and more arcane knowledge to the Horde, what can Void Elves bring to the Alliance? How about an expansive knowledge on the Void and how to counter it, would make them a strong asset against the Old God occultists that are running rampant in Kul Tiras.

None of this would still be put them in the same league as Nightborne in terms of content and lore, but at least it would show the devs recognize they exist as a race.
02/26/2018 11:46 AMPosted by Rendlayn
Trying to inch this more into productive conversation and suggestions, this is what I'd like them to do with Void Elves.

-Have Void Elf members that are part of the 7th Legion, maybe in the form of rangers, warlocks, and Void priests.
-Give Void Elves more characters. All we have are Alleria and Umbric. Nightborne have way more characters, why can't we?
-Give them a definitive architecture style, because right now they don't have one. Have them setup base somewhere in one of the Kul Tiran zones, maybe in Drustvar studying ways to counteract the dark magic there.
-Give them a strong important role in the Alliance. Nightborne bring telemancy and more arcane knowledge to the Horde, what can Void Elves bring to the Alliance? How about an expansive knowledge on the Void and how to counter it, would make them a strong asset against the Old God occultists that are running rampant in Kul Tiras.

None of this would still be put them in the same league as Nightborne in terms of content and lore, but at least it would show the devs recognize they exist as a race.

That last point, you can see it in Zandalar (or whatever the horde capital is) where Oculeth is in charge of a huge portal room leading to various cities. I thought it was a nice and unexpected touch. I'd like something like that sprinkled around Kul Tiras. It just sucks because we won't have any long quest lines to get attached to the void elf characters like we do with key Nightborne NPCs.
02/26/2018 11:46 AMPosted by Rendlayn

My list:

1) Make a proper racial hub. Either:

(a) Improve Telogrus Rift by adding constructions and more events (like a group of elves being properly tuteled in how to resist the void, another under the ritual to become void elves and so on).

OR

(b) Anchor Telogrus to a place in the world, and develop that place into a thalassian (high elf/void elf/exiled blood elf) comunity. Again, put events there, like elves being prepared to resist the void. My suggestion: revamp Quel'danil Lodge into a proper town. From there, you can access Telogrus proper.

2) Create a proper host of void elf characters, preferably a leader to represent each class. Put them in the racial hub, with gossip indicating their opinions on the transformation. Make some of them known former high or blood elves, so not all void elves are new faces.

3) Include in BfA an elf base quest area, in which most of the NPCs are elves (high and/or void) and the quests are also related to void elf interests.

4) Put more void elf NPCs in the main cities, with gossip text and/or events to show how they relate to the other races.

5) In Boralus, make a proper Alliance area featuring the void elves among all Alliance races.
I would like to bring up the issue how weapons rest on the female waist for void elves. The larger weapons are simply oversized and just look goofy. I feel like if they downscaled the larger one hand weapons just a bit and adjusted them a little more up on the waist closer to the chest directing them a few degrees downward they would look fine.
At least let other Alliance players be able to visit Telogrus Rift, do Horde get to visit a faction-aligned Suramar and Thunder Totem?
02/26/2018 01:15 PMPosted by Rendlayn
At least let other Alliance players be able to visit Telogrus Rift, do Horde get to visit a faction-aligned Suramar and Thunder Totem?

I can't access the Horde version of Nighthold with my lvl 110 orc. Maybe I need to complete the Insurrection campaign? I don't know. I didn't try to see Thunder Totem.

It seems all allied race starting locations are off-limits to other races for now.
It would've been interesting if they took a small elvish city (similar to Allerian Outlook) and corrupted it with void magic (made everything purple and glowy). I know there were rumors that an abandoned High elf zone was going to be used like this, but it never happened.

It just feels weird that the Void elves have no houses or buildings to work from. They practice all their void magic just standing near the pools in Telogrus? Where'd all their books and resources go?

Everything just feels very unfinished tbh.
02/26/2018 01:57 PMPosted by Stëphanie
It would've been interesting if they took a small elvish city (similar to Allerian Outlook) and corrupted it with void magic (made everything purple and glowy). I know there were rumors that an abandoned High elf zone was going to be used like this, but it never happened.

It just feels weird that the Void elves have no houses or buildings to work from. They practice all their void magic just standing near the pools in Telogrus? Where'd all their books and resources go?

I don't think any place the void elves control would feel "corrupted". Their whole thing is control over of the void, not let it run amok. Void gems, void lanterns and such things? Okay. But those void black holes and creeping darkness we see in Mac'Aree? No way.

Talking about that, I feel the void elves are far less "edgy" than people give them credit for. Their focus is on honing their willpower, having a strong moral core (the "light" to guide them in the darkness), gaining the trust of others and using the Void for good. They talk all the time about protecting those they love, defend Azeroth, fight for the Alliance. Of the void being a tool, a weapon, rather than an ethos.

With the right exposition, I feel they could be developed into something interesting, even downright heroic.

Or I may be reading too much into it and Blizzard will just let me down. Again.

It reminds me a bit of Dreadscar Rift, which is the warlock class hall.

There's more detail and more things to do in the class hall, obviously, but it doesn't come across as very "lived in" either, at least not in the same sense as the paladin order hall.

Right now there is really nothing to do in the Void Elf rift, which doesn't help. But more detail, etc. would also be nice.
Dang I thought that line was removed.
02/26/2018 12:54 PMPosted by Arathirian
I would like to bring up the issue how weapons rest on the female waist for void elves. The larger weapons are simply oversized and just look goofy. I feel like if they downscaled the larger one hand weapons just a bit and adjusted them a little more up on the waist closer to the chest directing them a few degrees downward they would look fine.

There should be an option to hide weapons outside of combat. I love glaives, but even they look less awesome when they're sheathed. Disappearing weapons aren't much less realistic than ones that get glued to parts of the body.
Krainz from SoL found this:

http://www.wowhead.com/quest=48489/the-spires-of-home

At some point, Blizzard planned for Alliance players to meet Lor'themar with Alleria.

I imagine that the quest would be to recruit the blood elves, only for them to reject Alleria, then we'd proceed to Ghostlands.

It would make more sense from Alliance PoV to see the reason why Umbric was exiled, and to know Durzaam before he suddenly appears out of nowhere in Telogrus.

In current implementation, only way for an Alliance player to know the whole story is to unlock the nightborne Horde-side.
02/26/2018 02:06 PMPosted by Kalastra

It reminds me a bit of Dreadscar Rift, which is the warlock class hall.

There's more detail and more things to do in the class hall, obviously, but it doesn't come across as very "lived in" either, at least not in the same sense as the paladin order hall.

Right now there is really nothing to do in the Void Elf rift, which doesn't help. But more detail, etc. would also be nice.
I feel like adding buildings would be such a game changer; there's way too much empty space right now.

Suramar, Highmountain, and even the Vindicaar, feel more "at home" because everything is more compacted. While those zones aren't necessarily smaller, they use up space way better than Telogrus Rift.

There's also more interaction between the other allied races and their zones. For example, the LF draenei are building LF warframes and the Nightborne are rebuilding their city. We see them actually doing something besides strolling around an empty space rock.

Telogrus needs more utilized space, overall. Just a few structures here and there (or even some void-looking creatures) would really give it more character. Even the Dreamgrove (druid class hall) had only a couple of houses, but it still felt "lived in" because of the wildlife everywhere.
02/26/2018 12:42 PMPosted by Alamara
My list:

1) Make a proper racial hub. Either:

(a) Improve Telogrus Rift by adding constructions and more events (like a group of elves being properly tuteled in how to resist the void, another under the ritual to become void elves and so on).

OR

(b) Anchor Telogrus to a place in the world, and develop that place into a thalassian (high elf/void elf/exiled blood elf) comunity. Again, put events there, like elves being prepared to resist the void. My suggestion: revamp Quel'danil Lodge into a proper town. From there, you can access Telogrus proper.

2) Create a proper host of void elf characters, preferably a leader to represent each class. Put them in the racial hub, with gossip indicating their opinions on the transformation. Make some of them known former high or blood elves, so not all void elves are new faces.

3) Include in BfA an elf base quest area, in which most of the NPCs are elves (high and/or void) and the quests are also related to void elf interests.

4) Put more void elf NPCs in the main cities, with gossip text and/or events to show how they relate to the other races.

5) In Boralus, make a proper Alliance area featuring the void elves among all Alliance races.

Thinking about the above message, if I were to choose a roster of NPCs for the void elves...

Priest Leaders: Lyria Skystrider and Shadow Priest Ennas.
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Lyria_Skystrider

(I'd also remake that little scene in Silvermoon, with them now recruiting elves for the ren'dorei, then blasting the magisters and escaping rather than being mind-controlled)

Umbral Ranger Leaders: Taela Everstride (Hunters) and Theloria Shadecloak (Rogues). Both followers of Alleria that had lost hope of finding a home.
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Taela_Everstride
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Theloria_Shadecloak

Warlock Leader: Summoner Nolric.
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Summoner_Nolric

I'd also use Ros'eleth for something, but not as a void elf. A high elf supporter.
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Ros%27eleth

Umbric would obviously lead the mages, but it would be cool to have some other mage characters. And I have no idea for a monk leader.
02/26/2018 02:27 PMPosted by Alamara
Krainz from SoL found this:

http://www.wowhead.com/quest=48489/the-spires-of-home

At some point, Blizzard planned for Alliance players to meet Lor'themar with Alleria.

I imagine that the quest would be to recruit the blood elves, only for them to reject Alleria, then we'd proceed to Ghostlands.

It would make more sense from Alliance PoV to see the reason why Umbric was exiled, and to know Durzaam before he suddenly appears out of nowhere in Telogrus.

In current implementation, only way for an Alliance player to know the whole story is to unlock the nightborne Horde-side.

That text does feel like it's leading up to the meeting we see on the Nightborne campaign. It seems that at one point the alliance player was also intended to be a part of that. I can see that as such, they excises the portion to avoid the alliance side being too long.

But yeah, we still have nary a world of how the exile of Umbric's people even came to pass, merely second hand references to it, not even a single account of the events.

I do hope we get to see it later, perhaps in a quest where the void elves mobilize during the war.
Outside of the Pandaren community, monks tend to be on the fringes anyway. No shame in continuing that tradition with void elves.