Let hunters queue as tanks.

General Discussion
03/16/2018 10:46 PMPosted by Tadkins
Provided they have a tenacity pet ready to go.

Was recently in a lowbie dungeon. The real tank was kind of slow in a few aspects, notably that she wasn't even in a tank spec. The healer was wondering what was going on and as soon as I realized, I summoned my turtle and told everyone "I got this."

It was pretty funny. Successfully tanked a dungeon as a survival hunter. I guess technically my turtle tanked it, but semantics.

Why not make it official? Let hunters queue as tanks. :D

In other words, the queues would still be just as long, as most hunters are Marksmanship hunters. It's hard for a hunter to queue as tank when they don't have a tank pet due to lone-wolf talent.
As much as I hate Hunters

(and oh my god do i really hate hunters)

It would be nice to see Mail and Cloth Tanks at some point.

Really it should go to Earth Shaman though.
03/17/2018 10:44 AMPosted by Sunday

How about we expand the pure DPS classes so they can fill these voids before we give the hybrid classes even more flexibility?
03/16/2018 10:50 PMPosted by Kaiyeri
Let's not. We have enough issues with tanks.

and hunters.
03/17/2018 11:07 AMPosted by Annastasi
03/16/2018 10:50 PMPosted by Kaiyeri
Let's not. We have enough issues with tanks.

and hunters.

Aspect of the Pack trolling (which prompted Blizzard to remove that spell from the hunter spellbook), as well as misdirect trolling, especially on healers in raids with the intent to wipe the raid. Thus, OP's suggestion to buff the most stigmatized class to tank entire dungeons and raids is not a very good suggestion.
03/17/2018 10:48 AMPosted by Bril
03/17/2018 10:44 AMPosted by Sunday

How about we expand the pure DPS classes so they can fill these voids before we give the hybrid classes even more flexibility?

Because then the Pure DPS come to the forums and complain that Raid Leaders will expect them to fill non DPS roles
We need more tanks! And after doing the BM hunter challenge I kinda think it could work... though survival would make way more sense. As it is though Bm is all about your pet damage and utility. Would be a cool idea but really they should just make a cool hybrid survival/bm spec to do it
How about you just offer all those furry warriors an incentive to spec prot.
I was in an instance with a Brazilian who didn't speak English, and spent a good 15 minutes asking if he had a shield and could respec prot because our tank quit on us.

Finally, after much Google translate he informed our frustrated party that "I have no shield on my purse".

What kind of warrior isn't prepared to go protection in an emergency???!
Sure let them que, and let's see how long they last
I think OP should take a look at this video in regards to their request.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n5E7feJHw0
No.
03/17/2018 09:52 AMPosted by Trelayn
Eh, I wouldn't feel comfortable with that. My pets have a habit of getting stuck on nothing. That would be a disaster in a dungeon/raid if they were supposed to be tanking.

Not to mention the current issue with line of sight on the chess part of Upper Karazhan, alot of hunter pets seem to be confused on that part.
It'd actually be pretty cool if hunters could be tanks, where they cast abilities for their pet and reinforce them with their own abilities.

New tank spec. maybe?
Shamans really should get a tanking spec after all these years. I remember back in the Dark Ages when that'd happen occasionally. Was kinda fun.

I've pet tanked before due to incompetent actual-tank. Never in Survival though, always Beast Master. Listen, I'm willing to put up with the dregs of WoW society in those dungeons as a tradeoff to faster leveling (or that's what I did before dungeons were nerfed to hell and no one runs anything anymore) but bad tanks and healers are not on that list.

If you are tanking, you should spend the first few pulls gauging your group. Is the healer getting stressed out? Are the DPS burning down packs quickly? Is anyone going out of their damn way to rip aggro off of you? If so, you slow it down and pull easier. If everything is good, you ramp the speed and how much you pull at once until you find that tipping point and you stay the eff under it from that point forward.

If you're healing, you spot the idiots. There are always idiots. It is a rule. And as you heal, your ability to highlight these idiots will activate faster and faster, until you generally know by the end of the first pull which of them will be giving you trouble. Either the tank has more plate mail than brains, you're gonna have a bad time. Either he's gonna pull twenty packs, or he's gonna pull ten but constantly run ahead and leave you and the DPS behind (let him die repeatedly. Let the wipes happen. Teach the idiot to knock that crap off). Or there's gonna be that one DPS who really has to poop, so he's nagging everyone to hurry tf up and pulling for the tank. We let those players die and then kick them.

But going in as a Hunter, up to a point, you can reasonably tank things with your pet in an emergency. But you have to make it abundantly clear to the rest of the party and get their OK - especially the healer, who's going to be dealing with something without proper abilities and mitigation tools - before you attempt it. I did it in that underwater Cata dungeon. The one with the gilblins who, without fail, TPK at least once. I've done it in Gnomer, which is... an experience. I've done it in the Badlands Uld-something dungeon. I've done it in SFK.

Hunter pets should get their own skill trees again. I'm kinda surprised there's no healing-pet tree. One tanking, one DPS, and one 'utility'? That seems wonky.
On my MM Hunter, my turtle can tank just about anything. No problem, he is really good at it. lol

I haven't done dungeons, but he is fantastic in scenarios and WQ's! lol

/pets Ignatius.
Make enh/surv tank specs because nobody plays them for high level dps anyways.
and i thought i saw everything on gd forum