BFA Dungeons, Island Expeditions, and Raids
Prev 1 13 14 15
10/25/2018 02:55 PMPosted by Sarrlock
Well since Blizzard is listening to feedback I have returned.

After doing a whole bunch of island expos I can now give you guys better feedback!

Apparently all the major issues with the isles stems from the way in which the content was designed.

Basically it is a way for heroic+ raiders to level up their necklaces. This assumption is based on the layout of the islands, the difficulty of the mobs, the reward structure, the timers design etc.

If Blizzard wants people to like island expeditions they need to do as follows:

1. Change the reward structure.
-Atm you can either farm rares for rewards or farm azurite in order to win. You cannot do both. This leads to a lot of headbutting, vote kicks, etc.

2. Fix the godawful rng.
-Atm I have to spam islands hoping for the rare I want, then I have to kill the rare, and hope I get the item I want. Hence godawful double dipping rng.

3. Alter the timer.
-I get you want us to race and feel anxiety, but in the lower modes I don't have enough time to explore and kill rares. Let me have more time and some actual fun darn it.

4. Alter the difficulty of the mobs in lower modes.
-Atm some of the mobs hit way harder than they should (I am looking at you elementals), while others have super annoying CCs and OP heals.

Honestly though, the laziest way to fix most of the problems would be:
-Upon winning an island expedition give people a loot bag that would contain some gold, dubloons, and a one percent chance to drop any of the mounts, pets, and toys.

P.S. The items on the dubloon vendor are too expensive atm. I would have just put in a new currency. Also please add a blue parrot to the vendor since those darn pirates never want to give me the green parrot. ><

P.S.S. It would be nice if you would list the loot tables somewhere other than wowhead (like on the forums) as many people still don't know how the rewards work in island expeditions.

Well written! I love your ideas, man!
I am not sure if this is a bug and feedback is not appropriate in the Bug Reports forum (per its guidelines), so I am posting here.

I had two https://www.wowdb.com/items/163480-murloc-eye in my inventory. I accepted the quest using one of them and turned it in to the appropriate NPC.

Both [Murloc Eye] were consumed; I lost out on 600 AP.

I know it is possible to have duplicates of a quest-starting item without issue - see the various such items for Darkmoon Faire - so I did not know I need to complete Island Expedition quests ASAP rather than 'holding on' to them.

I ask that this behavior be modified to match the behavior of the DMF items like [Mysterious Grimoire], etc.

Is that most players think a tiny shard of azerite and a small chance at recolored transmog gear isn't a good enough reward.

I mean we are SUPPOSED to be ransacking the islands and taking them for all that they are worth.

Where are the awesome mounts and pets? Oh they are locked behind invasions that have a 1/20 chance to proc and a 1/100 chance to drop.

Well that is simply put; BOULDER DASH! BOULDER DASH I SAY!

So here's what I want: *Takes a swig of volatile rum*

SWAG and Pirate booty!

-Increase the azerite rewards.

-Put in a swag bag at the end of the island expedition that has a 1% chance to contain anything from the massive island loot pool. Especially the mounts and pets.

-Make the currency vendor on the ptr better, give him a different currency so I can use the OP doubloon items to farm this crummy content.

Seriously blizzard give us swag!

#yologivemehswagplox

Edit:

Also @Blizzard would it kill you to up the drope rates once again?

I mean seriously it seems like the guys mega-ultra nerfed the rates since a few weeks ago.
Could we please get someone to look at the damage the troll mobs do on the island "The dread chain" The casters seem EXTREMELY overtuned.
^ Trolls and elemental mobs tend to do rather OP damage.

Anyways I was messing around in an isle expo the other day and watched as the azerite golem spawned, my team killed it, the expo was just about over. Some invasion happened but the scenario ended like 5 seconds later.

It got me thinking about the azerite golem event... it would be nice if the island would be invaded before the azerite golem spawns to give people more time to kill the lucrative invasion mobs. I mean I like being able to autocomplete the scenario when crummy mobs like trolls invade, but it makes it a chore to collect anything.

I would actually love it if blizzard changed it so that we get 2 invasions per island with the azerite golem spawning towards the end to add some drama. I would probably lump the invasions into 2 groups with the "good invasions" like mogu, pirates, and twilight dragons in one group and the "crummy invasions" like trolls, naga, and elementals being in the other group.
Island expeditions would be way better if:
We had at least 15 islands per week (best solution for immersion imo)
or
The 3 islands changed on a daily basis instead of weekly.

That would reduce the chances to get the same islands over and over, increasing the feeling of actually exploring, instead of knowing exactly where we are going. That would greatly improve immersion.

They told us at Blizzcon 2017 that we will get to explore uncharted islands but, with only 3 islands, the exploration is none existant. We are getting the same islands over and over after only 3 expeditions. Different npcs don't help that at all.

Do we know why there's only 3 islands per week ?
They are small and generic so it wouldn't be a huge deal to have more than 3.
They told us at Blizzcon 2017 that we will get to explore uncharted islands but, with only 3 islands, the exploration is none existent. We are getting the same islands over and over after only 3 expeditions. Different npcs don't help that at all.

Well to be honest you are supposed to explore the islands if you are hunting for rewards.

This is what I do (and most collectors do):
Step 1 scout the island, step 2 clear the paths, step 3 kill the lucrative rares, step 4 get both teams up to 3k (ignore the azerite rare) and spawn an invasion, step 5 kill all the invasion mobs, step 6 loot chests and win (optional).

This is what most players do:
Step 1 kill stuff, step 2 loot stuff, step 3 kill the azerite golem and win.

That is one reason why people aren't seeing rewards. Also, it is why I keep asking blizzard to remove the azerite golem and add in a loot bag at the end that could contain the mounts/pets/toys since most people don't get to kill the lucrative npcs.

P.S. Most collectors have been booted from a lot of island expos because we don't zerg the scenario. That 30 min debuff bites.
11/01/2018 04:39 PMPosted by Sarrlock
Most collectors have been booted from a lot of island expos because we don't zerg the scenario. That 30 min debuff bites.

I seen the opposite too. Sucks both ways.
The stuff I keep hearing about unpleasant drama with people kicking each other out of the enforced 3-person groups, combined with the time pressure really puts me off. I like to enjoy and explore what I am doing.

Without impinging on what people have already, I would love the *option* to be able to do a de-tuned version solo, or maybe even some means of running with a pair of AI followers selected by me from the ones I have.

Now *that* might be an interesting mechanic to give the followers some more purpose as they don't seem to be quite as developed a concept as they were in Legion.

Just my personal thoughts from my perspective :)
Leveled a toon 110-120 without a single pet/transmog drop 2 days ago, got quest items but that was it. After reaching 120 I got a drop the following run.

Feels like they gimped the drop rates on lower combat toons.
Really dont like doing dozens of these only to have nothing to show for it, i mean whats the point? Stop wasting our time and fix your drop rates for real.
Have been doing these excessively now for a few weeks. Doing both rare hunting groups and random LFG. The random invasions are off putting. This week is "Twilight Flight" and out of the 20 I have done I have seen them 3 times and gotten no loot. Mogu I have seen at least 8 times, and the rest are mixed elementals. Oh and the Black dragon flight showed up for some reason.

I would like to see a better system of getting the right invasions to show up and a better loot system. It's expensive to repair after a dozen or so runs with nothing to show for it.

Like if it is twilight dragons this week how about they show up more then 1/10th the times. The number of rares you kill of anything (pirates/dragons/ect) should multiply your chance to get mounts/pets.

RNG sucked in legion and it sucks even worse now.
Copying this from another thread:

11/07/2018 08:32 PMPosted by Ponypwn
THE REWARD HAS TO BE WORTH IT

island expeditions are a total fail. Blizzard must realize this and not give a flying *!@#. At this point it seems apparent its just about milking more timed played from each player with the least about of development required.

@ Blizzard
People have been asking you to reduce the RNG fest in island expeditions.

I like quite a few of the ideas such as being able to target certain invasions npcs, placing the mounts etc on the vendor, or having a loot bag at the end of the expedition.

Instead all you did was add some random new items onto a vendor. Sure it is nice in a sort of clueless way, but when people tell you the content and its rng are terrible you should probably do something about it.
Explain how potential loot is distributed please. Beyond "hope and pray".

Embarrassing that people even need to request this, even more embarrassing that you refuse to do it.
I finally managed to get squawks to drop by farming the island expeditions on normal difficulty on my twink alt.

I killed a lot of darn pirates; when they were up on one of the islands, during the mini invasions, and during the invasion events. Darn thing dropped from one of the mini invasions where only 1 pack of mobs spawn.

Now I am just... done with these.

All I can say is that the rng is terrible and I wish everyone else good luck.
11/09/2018 12:01 AMPosted by Sarrlock
I finally managed to get squawks to drop by farming the island expeditions on normal difficulty on my twink alt.

I killed a lot of darn pirates; when they were up on one of the islands, during the mini invasions, and during the invasion events. Darn thing dropped from one of the mini invasions where only 1 pack of mobs spawn.

Was it fairly common to see a random pack on pirates on every island? Or an extreme rarity? I haven't done these in about 3 weeks, since pirates were last on the rotting mire. Also, was there a rare? Potentially dreadbeard? Congrats man, my grind is still very real.
11/09/2018 04:25 AMPosted by Cattywompus
11/09/2018 12:01 AMPosted by Sarrlock

Was it fairly common to see a random pack on pirates on every island? Or an extreme rarity? I haven't done these in about 3 weeks, since pirates were last on the rotting mire. Also, was there a rare? Potentially dreadbeard? Congrats man, my grind is still very real.

It was fairly rare to see a random pack of pirates. Typically I saw murlocs.
As for the rare, it was some female npc named something two pistols or something. I killed her pretty quickly.
I'm really getting tired of being booted for going after rares rather than engaging in the "pull everything" mentality. Can we at least make it so you can't be booted? After killing a few rares only to be booted and left with no chance at any loot is frustrating, to say the least.