Ele in BFA

Shaman
I really like the talent changes that blizzard has made, and looking at the spec, I really think blizzard has a made a good effort to correct many of the annoyances in legion. I'm certainly glad they did away with the whole fulmination thing.

The one thing that I desperately wish blizzard would change is the way earthquake works. It's only at all useful when a lot of enemies (3+) are standing close together without moving, which in many situations can be very rare. I hope that either through a direct change or a talent, we get an AoE maelstrom spender that does it's damage instantly and upfront to remove this annoyance.

Overall, I think blizz did a great job though.
I don't get this. Lost mobility, lost ability to cleave and target switch, ST and AoE both looking bad, shocks back on CD, I could go on. I struggle to find a single thing Blizzard did with Elemental in BfA that looks better. I'm casual, but there is no way I'll play Elemental if it goes live anything like it looks now.
I think the above didn't read recent notes. The spec is the same as in legion minus the following:

Flame shock 6s cd 18s dur.
No gust.
Earth shock 60 mael max.
No more Elemental focus (%increase on crit damage).

Essentially nothing else is different. Talents were moved, but that's all. We gain Tremor back, capacitor baseline, not too much of a trade. Only thing really lost is going to be Gust. Which, given the current direction of things, they want us to be tankier and less mobile. If done correctly it could work. Not the most entertaining playstyle, but eh, alpha.
That 6 sec fs.....why blizzard??? That is one of the most annoying QOL reverts they have done to ele. Also, some of the talent tiers are are going to slow the game down a bit. Icefury and echo on the same tier is an example.

It may work but man does it look boring as heck.
My thoughts and opinions:
60 Maelstrom cap on ES - good, welcome change.

Losing Gust of Wind - not ideal nor thrilled about losing it, but certainly not a game breaker. We still have good mobility with Ghost Wolf.

CD on Flame Shock - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
03/20/2018 02:14 PMPosted by Thunderbud
That 6 sec fs.....why blizzard??? That is one of the most annoying QOL reverts they have done to ele. Also, some of the talent tiers are are going to slow the game down a bit. Icefury and echo on the same tier is an example.

At a guess they want ele to have to cast more in pvp.
Doesnt look good bois
03/20/2018 05:43 PMPosted by Ssjscarecrow
03/20/2018 02:14 PMPosted by Thunderbud

At a guess they want ele to have to cast more in pvp.

It's not just the procs being less that makes the 6 sec cd annoying. Let's say someone dispels fs on cd. Now even the hard casted lvb will hit for less. Also, no one enjoyed the game of healer dispel vs. Reapplying fs that happened in prior xpacs. Plus vs priests mass dispel will make me wanna take a long walk off a short pier...

In legion having echo/icefury being on separate tiers promoted hard casting. Putting them on the same tier just reduces casting options and slows down the gameplay. As much as I love ele blast for Pve , it's not viable in pvp.. which means another passive talent.
Just got Alpha. Played to 111 so far. Initial thoughts

Earth Shock hits like a wet noodle, it needs to be buffed.

Earth Shield is too weak.

Flame Shock cool down is a major annoyance. Wish CD could be removed or duration up to 25-30.

Ice fury hits like a truck when MotE is taken.

No Gust of Wind is painful.

AoE build is fine.

All I got so far.
03/21/2018 03:20 PMPosted by Thunderbud
It's not just the procs being less that makes the 6 sec cd annoying. Let's say someone dispels fs on cd. Now even the hard casted lvb will hit for less. Also, no one enjoyed the game of healer dispel vs. Reapplying fs that happened in prior xpacs.

if no one enjoyed it then why did anyone play it? its a large shift back to how it played previously which is jarring i get it, getting a qol update and then taking it away is awful.

I'm just gunna hope lavaburst is more meaningful to cast due to fs having the cd, meaning we will have less procs. I liked bigger lavabursts instead of filler lavabursts.
03/21/2018 08:11 PMPosted by Ssjscarecrow
It's not just the procs being less that makes the 6 sec cd annoying. Let's say someone dispels fs on cd. Now even the hard casted lvb will hit for less. Also, no one enjoyed the game of healer dispel vs. Reapplying fs that happened in prior xpacs.

if no one enjoyed it then why did anyone play it? its a large shift back to how it played previously which is jarring i get it, getting a qol update and then taking it away is awful.

I'm just gunna hope lavaburst is more meaningful to cast due to fs having the cd, meaning we will have less procs. I liked bigger lavabursts instead of filler lavabursts.

A lot of shaman didn't play the specialization because of this issue. Elemental wasn't a big player in arena PvP in particular. Enhancement and Restoration were huge participants at the time as well, and all three specializations had access to windfury totem, so it really came down to how well (how poorly) Elemental was in the match ups.
There were modest showings in 5's but they were completely absent from 2's and limited in 3's. Dispell mechanics were in full swing and Flameshock dispells even provided the shaman with a mini lust hast buff. All that wasn't enough, because burst on demand is required in PvP, not consistent damage. So when you're hoping for lucky instant casts, and the other healer is simply taking down the only magical debuff you apply every time on cooldown, the luck just isn't going to be there for any kind of burst.
03/22/2018 02:52 AMPosted by Joan
A lot of shaman didn't play the specialization because of this issue.

Thats unfortunate, but if you didnt like a spec, then liked it, then didnt like it again, such is the life of a changing game.

03/22/2018 02:52 AMPosted by Joan
So when you're hoping for lucky instant casts, and the other healer is simply taking down the only magical debuff you apply every time on cooldown, the luck just isn't going to be there for any kind of burst.

You don't need luck. 8 second dispel cd. 6 second fs cd. fs>lavaburst while its on cd for damage. This would be fine if lavaburst actually did damage like it used to, before becoming a constant damage ability.

Not to mention healer will dispel other things.
The returned CD on Flame shock isn't even a balancing issue for me, it's a fun issue. Blizzard should be asking themselves before they make changes whether those changes are more fun or less fun. This is a game we play to have FUN, after all. This reversion simply doesn't pass the fun test. It's less fun, so they shouldn't make the change, period.
I'm already mourning the loss of Gust of Wind. I skipped WoD and came from MoP and Gust of Wind was the only consolation to losing Lightning Bolt while moving.

Gust of Wind is fun in and out of combat. Maybe I'm alone on this, but I really think Ghost Wolf blows for combat situations. I hate using it because we can't do anything but run in the form.
03/21/2018 08:11 PMPosted by Ssjscarecrow

I'm not saying the game as in playing arenas. I am saying the micromanaging of ele keeping up 2 fs and healers just dispelling it. Neither healers or ele shams enjoyed the back and forth. It was annoying and made the game super slow.. Also it's hard to make lava burst a nuke spell if we have procs and without procs we will be a training dummy
03/22/2018 09:19 AMPosted by Thunderbud
Also it's hard to make lava burst a nuke spell if we have procs and without procs we will be a training dummy

They did it in mop.
Was just playing Elemental in Alpha and got pretty discouraged when I noticed that Flame Shock has a 6 second cooldown again. Does anyone know if this is intended?
03/22/2018 10:35 PMPosted by Ssjscarecrow
03/22/2018 09:19 AMPosted by Thunderbud
Also it's hard to make lava burst a nuke spell if we have procs and without procs we will be a training dummy

They did it in mop.

People can take control of lava and try 3s right now if they want. If people want the lvb "nuke" feel that's the talent.

If you played a good healer in MOP, they would simply dispel flame shocks and you would get trained. On top of that you had locks who could dispel protect with ua. The only reason it was a nuke in MOP was with unleash cast into a proc which was rng and could do 50% of someone's health. Which was not healthy for the game.

The point is now we have seen what is was like without having to rely on one dot on a cd for a huge part of our dmg and it's great.. Them reverting it literally serves zero purpose and is simply going to slow our gameplay down who nobody asked for.
No gust? fml... that was the most fun thing about elemental in legion. Naturally i abuse it to gtfo fire in raids but more than that i loved crossing gaps with it in open world w/out flying.
It looks like the latest Alpha build just completely gutted Elemental Blast and Icefury. They actually have a hard time competing with tickle (lightning) bolt now. Liquid Magma totem also nerfed to the point I'm not sure it is worth the button press.