Is anyone here a girl IRL?

General Discussion
Prev 1 8 9 10 26 Next
I'm female in real life, I play mostly female avatars. I do have a few male avatars just to be different, and sometimes the NPC chat is different and I want to hear it... lol

I don't assume real life gender when I see other's avatars. Guys play male and female toons, Gals play male and female toons.
03/18/2018 09:05 PMPosted by Vastarie
Here's a sign that there's something very wrong with the video game community as a whole: people making a big deal that women play and enjoy gaming as much as they do.

It's pretty pathetic. "What? Girls like the same things I do? But they have cooties! I'm gonna harass 'em until they go away!"

I try not to draw attention to myself when I play or post here. Someone above mentioned 'talking like a guy' and that's the truest damn thing. Like, just... go away and let me level my Paladin.

Inevitably you're gonna get some meathead telling you (unsolicited, of course) why you're playing your class/spec "wrong." It's infuriating. You stay quiet because otherwise you get nothing but little boys pretending to be men tormenting you.

Mostly just makes me want to find a guild that's all-women so I can escape from the storm and talk with people who aren't out to constantly annoy everyone they can. :|
03/18/2018 09:13 PMPosted by Florence
03/18/2018 09:05 PMPosted by Clopatra
I just wanted feedback, wasn't trying to start anything?

Why do you pose that as a question? Anyway, you got your feedback and that feedback is that you're just posting a Sunday troll thread and when caught you're working the "humble innocence" shtick. It's a very effective method of deflecting and you play the part well I gotta give ya credit, but just know while you fool a good amount of people here, it's just not gonna work on everyone.

03/18/2018 09:09 PMPosted by Clopatra
Agreed. Maybe they should make "genderless" characters to play. Lol that'd be crazy

^^See that? Pure troll material.

Lol good job you figured it out. And yes I will welcome any feedback given, but I won't sit idly by why I get personally attacked. Thanks for ruining my fun post. Get help.
Of course there are,almost everyone plays video games these days be it a console,PC,handheld or mobile title. Even if they play games other deem as bad but they genuinely enjoy them then they are in a sense a gamer,to say otherwise is just silly :P. Some keep their sex a secret/play as an avatar of the opposite sex as most ladies who play WoW and other online games just want to play in peace without worry of getting perved on by some thirsty/salty douche canoe who'd put the player in question on blast and call them fat or every synonym for prostitute or "fake gamer" the minute they receive rejection. Doesn't help when some players legitimately air grievances they're again labeled as fakes/boob streamers,liars,harlots or the extreme fringe of feminist trying to somehow emasculate and oppress dudes in some weird over the top conspiracy [Not everyone obviously but there are nut bars out there like this] and not gonna lie,it sucks.

Some also keep their sex a secret out of fear of not finding a guild to raid in because of the occasional dink whose under the perception that "girls start drama/don't belong here" when in reality drama goes both ways,sex has nothing to do with it. I'll never understand why this mentality is still around when in this day and age,everyone regardless of sex,creed,race,etc. should be able to play a game and enjoy it without being antagonized or accosted for it. I'm sure you didn't have intention on offending anyone but there is a reason why many tend to feel strongly on this topic.

TLDR- yes there are many girls who play but often keep it tight lipped to avoid potential hostilities because some people are obnoxious jerks who don't know the meaning of the word filter.
03/18/2018 08:29 PMPosted by Moiralia
Or a liar, because "girls don't play wow".

Dang, if girls don't play WoW, there goes 3/4 of my raid team. :(
03/18/2018 09:13 PMPosted by Brahmina
Here's a sign that there's something very wrong with the video game community as a whole: people making a big deal that women play and enjoy gaming as much as they do.
Um.

Women are people. Surely you're not implying otherwise, are you? Also, the "community as a whole" contains women. Don't separate us out like we're some other species.

*sigh*

I am a woman.

And don't even waste your time nit-picking and picking apart every little thing I say just for the sake of arguing.

I could counteract your statement and simply say, "we should both speak for ourselves and not try to represent billions of individuals with individual personalities and personal convictions".

It's why I really should learn my lesson and avoid hot button topics like this.

..... but I'm a very, very slow learner!
03/18/2018 09:14 PMPosted by Marhielle
That game was fun, I was sad when it closed. I was really enjoying the Steam Punk stuff they added near the end.

As for why 'Gamer Girls' liked it. Simple, lots of women like super hero comics. We could make the ultimate bad !@#$ version of ourselves.

My main was 'Mariel Martog'. I made her look like a High Elf in a Biker Jacket and skirt. (regen scrapper). Here on WOW Kompressor became my main for years. However, I've always been a Mariel. (alternate version of Mary my middle name)

I liked that island with all the fairy creatures they added. What was it called, Croatoan? The Green Knight fit in perfectly in that (His logo was a Celtic symbol and was repeated on his cloak). Character creation was fun. Even when I got bored of the game itself (There were only so many trips to Oranbega that I could take), I still found myself constantly playing around with the character creator. Besides The Green Knight, a battle axe wielding Tanker, I also had a City of Villains Mastermind who looked like Skeletor and controlled Undead, a patriotic superhero of some kind (Tanker, I think, with super strength) named Sentinel, and a couple others. Not counting all the various heroes I made just from goofing off on the character creator.

Damn shame they shut it down. That game needed updating, not shutting down. It's a real shame that there's no other superhero MMO out there (That I know of anyway) that has City of Heroes' level of character customization. I tried DC Online and Champions Online, and they were both utterly awful when it came to character creation (And Champions Online was just terrible all around, from game play to setting to graphics. At least DC Online was somewhat fun in its gameplay, although I never stuck with it as I couldn't create the character I wanted, the way I could with City of Heroes).
Girl IRL

But tauren guys are the bomb so theyre a majority of my characters.
I do play female elves though >:)
I'm a lady and I do mostly play lady toons however today I made a hawt voidelf guy.
03/18/2018 09:09 PMPosted by Clopatra

Agreed. Maybe they should make "genderless" characters to play. Lol that'd be crazy

Arakkoa playable race, when?
Thank you everyone for commenting! I rarely make posts on here and this was a topic I had been thinking about for awhile (I had no idea this is a weekly thing on the forums and curse me for posting it on a Sunday) It is sad that we live in a world where people can't just let people do things without judgment or harassment. I don't talk on discord, and I never mention I am a female in game. Some people just suck I guess. I'll be deleting this thread soon. My intentions were to have a fun discussion and instead I got called names and harassed, even got accused of lying about my years playing. I know it is a game forum but I'm honestly kind of hurt and frustrated at what this turned into. I don't know why I was naive and expected something different. Again, thank you.
03/18/2018 09:20 PMPosted by Damalys
TLDR- yes there are many girls who play but often keep it tight lipped to avoid potential hostilities because some people are obnoxious jerks who don't know the meaning of the word filter.

One reason why I am posting on my alts, and not my mains.
03/18/2018 09:20 PMPosted by Damalys
yes there are many girls who play but often keep it tight lipped to avoid potential hostilities because some people are obnoxious jerks who don't know the meaning of the word filter.
I appreciate the condescension towards my gender as if we were delicate flowers incapable of dealing with mean comments online just like men do.

But this is not considered sexist, right?
There are no grills on intrawebs...
03/18/2018 07:42 PMPosted by Myma
I AM ANYTHING YOU WANT ME TO BE!

What if someone wants you to be Freddy Mercury, and perform "Killer Queen"?
Girls don't play wow, silly.
03/18/2018 09:00 PMPosted by Caelus
03/18/2018 08:56 PMPosted by Stride
Can someone pleeeaase tell me what Gamergate is and why there is drama right now? I tried googling an article and I couldn't understand what it was saying at all except that it had something to do with journalism.
Gamergate was a bunch of dudes who hated that women played video games, and stalked, harassed, threatened, and leaked the personal information and locations of the big name women in the gaming industry. Because they hate women that much. Like that guy up there in this thread.

They even doxxed Felicia Day. Who deserved no bad attention.

The group crashed in on itself when nobody in the little squad actually knew its true purpose, and its organizer stated that Gamergate was a mistake.

Wow thanks for explaining, that's really sad.

Growing up I had very few friends and was bullied for being a girl that liked video games. In the game itself, I have also been bullied by people for being a girl that likes games. Guys want to use the gaming world as an escape, but it feels like for me I can't escape unless I lie about who I am, which I do not feel like anyone should have to do. I wish it was safer to do so without having to be afraid of those sorts of people.
03/18/2018 09:24 PMPosted by Azrael
I tried DC Online and Champions Online, and they were both utterly awful when it came to character creation

Last post.

Agreed, if a good Super Hero MMO came out, I would jump over in a heartbeat.

I have accounts on Both CO and DCO. I had fun with them, but they just didn't give me what I wanted. I also tried TSW and it felt almost like a Super Hero MMO in a CW kind of way. Only after a while it got tedious.

Frankly the only MMO that has been able to keep me since COH is WOW. Mostly because no free-to-pay mechanics. I have no will power when it comes to clothing.
03/18/2018 08:07 PMPosted by Vitaminsee
i was booted from a guild when they realized i was female. they said it made them nervous and they felt like they had to behave themselves lol
i understood. it's not easy being a guy these days.

...because apparently, it's difficult for many random guys on the internet to just be decent people anyway, regardless of gender.