Waiting on Bard

General Discussion
I've been playing WoW since 2005. Been waiting for a Bard class since DK's were added to the game. I implore Blizzard to consider adding my favorite rpg class! We NEED a class that focuses on BUFFING. We need a fourth meta responsibility.
Like the Monk, it wouldn't be played much but I'd deeply appreciate it in the game none the less.

I would love to have a class that is an entertainer theme. Have three specs, a dancer melee DPS spec, a spec that is themed after the war drummer focused on ranged DPS and support, and a performer healing spec.
03/07/2018 09:11 AMPosted by Aeolai
I've been playing WoW since 2005. Been waiting for a Bard class since DK's were added to the game. I implore Blizzard to consider adding my favorite rpg class! We NEED a class that focuses on BUFFING. We need a fourth meta responsibility.

You gonna kill an Orc by playing music? Lmao I hope you wait forever that class would kill this game for me. Such a dumb concept playing music to heal or fight. Makes no sense and is just so lame it hurts to think about it as a class, cringe worthy at best.

Go play DnD they have those
Let's not ever get bard.
I've been hoping for a bard ever since I left mine behind in FFXI to play WoW. Bard's always been my favorite.
+1 on bard suggestion!
Support class does not work in WoW. Everything would have to be re-tuned in the entire game to put that in. And a Bard as pure DPS or healing sounds dumb, imo.

You're going to be waiting a long time.
bards are deft enough to use weapons and smart enough to use spells, i don't think it's all about music. but if there was any need of a second class having a mind control spell, bards seems nice.
So, how would this work in dungeons and raids? Do they take a DPS spot? Healer? Do we add a new slot so that the queues take forever?

How would this work?
Honestly, if another game ends up pulling me away from WoW, it will be because they have bards. Support classes like them work well in other games like EQ, there is no reason it can't work in WoW with some work and tuning.

Songs to increase haste, vers, or a main stat. The effects could be amplified in different ways. Different weapons could increase song effects or durations. ECT...
03/07/2018 09:37 AMPosted by Vaeana
So, how would this work in dungeons and raids? Do they take a DPS spot? Healer? Do we add a new slot so that the queues take forever?

How would this work?

DPS or Heals. Think of a BM hunter for one spec. Bows and some light buffs.

Another spec is like a disc priest. Heals and some light buffs.

A third spec is mainly buffs, but can assist in both healing and dps.
I was thinking maybe they could work similar to the Hunting Horns in *cough* another game.

Where when you use a specific ability, it plays a "note" and if you play a specific sequence of notes, you can play a song that has unique effects.
03/07/2018 09:38 AMPosted by Aeolai
Honestly, if another game ends up pulling me away from WoW, it will be because they have bards. Support classes like them work well in other games like EQ, there is no reason it can't work in WoW with some work and tuning.

Songs to increase haste, vers, or a main stat. The effects could be amplified in different ways. Different weapons could increase song effects or durations. ECT...
SOME work and tuning? Try EVERYTHING would need reworked and re-tuned. The entire game.
WoW combat does not support a Bard class, unless you want to make the Bard have nothing to do with the Bard class fantasy, outside of aesthetics.

At that point, why bother?
The Bard class in EverQuest was an amazing class, but did very little damage. It was just support. Not sure how you would do single player quests and level with one unless you are in a group. I don't see WoW having Bards.
03/07/2018 09:30 AMPosted by Thallia
Support class does not work in WoW. Everything would have to be re-tuned in the entire game to put that in. And a Bard as pure DPS or healing sounds dumb, imo.

True on the first point but seriously on the second, pure anything wouldn't fit the bard. It has always been known as a support class throughout all rps I've played at least. And some people, including myself like to buff party members, and would love to give this class a shot.

Also in terms of doing damage, if you think about it how did a rogue do damage to a black dragon aspect with tiny daggers in cataclysm?

The answer is magic, as always, also rogues had a set of magical legendary daggers to help but that's besides the point, bards could do some damage or support with magical notes and symphonies played epically from the back of the group.

As for solo play, that is where I see some problem, it would be a slow process leveling but not impossible unless they had a decent offensive kit with a flaming guitar like the one in Mad Max.

it's not like they retool the entire class dynamic every expansion or anything
Our hero, our hero claims a warrior's heart.

It doesn't necessary have to be a support class. You could do heals/ranged dps/melee dps pretty believably with a bard (although melee dps might step on the rogues' toes a bit, but we could always two-spec them like the demon hunters).

Basically a music-themed spellcaster or stabby friend.

That being said they were totally attempting to do the support thing with ret pallies in early Legion, so who knows if it could be on the cards or not. They are bringing back class specific buffs and such for BfA.
The problem is I don't see bard being as "support" as they typically are in most RPG systems.

I can come up with a melee dps, a ranged dps, and a healer spec that are musically or artistically themed but they're more like the bards in PFS than in D&D.