Fel Explosives, and the specs that suck at it

General Discussion
Fel Explosives is probably the most frustrating for some, and the biggest pain in the !@# for others in regards to affixes.

Moonkins, Frostmages, and quite a few other classes focus their entire effort on fel explosives and literally carry groups through it, and it is great.

The problem with this is that any group that has someone that refuses to use their OP'ness (or doesn't have one) to help out killing orbs leads those that are unable to do anything on a journey of anger and frustration.

I would like those of you that have issues with this affix this week, to post their abilities that hit them, their cd, whether or not it kills them as well as any annoyances you have with it in an effort to open up some sort of change from Blizzards end.

Protection Paladin
    Shield of the Righteous
    • 16 Second Cooldown (Reducable)
    • Kills on Crit
    Judgment
    • 6 Second Cooldown (Reducable)
    • Kills on Crit
    Melee
    • 2.6 Second Cooldown (Reducable)
    • Kills on Two Crits

Annoyances:
Although Frost Mages and Boomkins can use their abilities (Icelance/Moonfire) to cleave off of the Fel Explosives, Protection Paladins Avenger's Shield works in a completely ridiculous way.

Avenger's Shield can target Fel Explosives, but whenever you use Avenger's Shield, it ignores it and just bounces to something else. The only ability we have that kills them, can't even hit them.

I know other cleave/aoe classes are in this boat, hopefully we can get some uniformity in this regard.
03/10/2018 09:45 AMPosted by Demo
Avenger's Shield can target Fel Explosives, but whenever you use Avenger's Shield, it ignores it and just bounces to something else. The only ability we have that kills them, can't even hit them.

If Avenger Shield could target Explosive orbs, then people would only allow Prot Paladins in their groups during this affix.

Avenger Shield does a massive splash damage and even has a legendary that double the bounces. One Prot Paladin would be able to clear out all of the orbs a majority of the time.

If you have problems with Explosive Orbs, I would recommend a little bit of Crit and Haste with the talent that grants 2 charges of Judgement.
I would honestly rather they triple or quadruple explosive hp and just let them be aoe'd. Half the time tab target won't even target them.
03/10/2018 09:55 AMPosted by Respira
Avenger Shield does a massive splash damage and even has a legendary that double the bounces. One Prot Paladin would be able to clear out all of the orbs a majority of the time.

They could always make it so that the orb is only affected by the initial hit. They're quite clearly capable of making the first hit act differently from subsequent hits.
When i heal this affix I save holy fire for it. 6s CD and it kills them right out. The problem is how long it takes to target them amidst 6 other mobs and me trying not to let people die. If I hit tab 3 times and still get other mobs, I usually have to stop and heal.
03/10/2018 09:55 AMPosted by Respira
03/10/2018 09:45 AMPosted by Demo

If Avenger Shield could target Explosive orbs, then people would only allow Prot Paladins in their groups during this affix.

If you have problems with Explosive Orbs, I would recommend a little bit of Crit and Haste with the talent that grants 2 charges of Judgement.

I think you are looking at this from the wrong perspective. A lot of classes literally have a spammable ability that one shots them.

Protection paladins have 3 abilities that cannot one shot them unless they crit, and they have mid to long cooldowns.

Even if Avenger's shield is added to abilities that hit, they are STILL worse than those other classes, because it's uptime is not 100%, theirs is.

In regards to being brought all the time, Bears still have spammable moonfire that kills them, so no.

Edit: I also started this thread for all classes, not just mine.
03/10/2018 10:19 AMPosted by Demo
I think you are looking at this from the wrong perspective. A lot of classes literally have a spammable ability that one shots them.

Protection paladins have 3 abilities that cannot one shot them unless they crit, and they have mid to long cooldowns.

Even if Avenger's shield is added to abilities that hit, they are STILL worse than those other classes, because it's uptime is not 100%, theirs is.

In regards to being brought all the time, Bears still have spammable moonfire that kills them, so no.

Some classes are better at something than others that is nothing new, but still explosive is really not that hard to deal with, 1 melee or the tank on his own is enough to deal with them most of the time.

Protection warriors only have shield slam, but usually get some resets or just use battle cry on emergencies, I can basically solo that affix if I want to. The same thing on my dk, I usually top the damage on the orbs with really no issue.
03/10/2018 10:36 AMPosted by Dartakan
03/10/2018 10:19 AMPosted by Demo

Some classes are better at something than others that is nothing new, but still explosive is really not that hard to deal with, 1 melee or the tank on his own is enough to deal with them most of the time.

Protection warriors only have shield slam, but usually get some resets or just use battle cry on emergencies, I can basically solo that affix if I want to. The same thing on my dk, I usually top the damage on the orbs with really no issue.

What group wiping affix are some classes better than others?

Yes volcanic, quaking, sanguine, all have preferences... but none of them wipe your entire group if you do them wrong, is there one that does?
03/10/2018 10:53 AMPosted by Demo
What group wiping affix are some classes better than others?

Yes volcanic, quaking, sanguine, all have preferences... but none of them wipe your entire group if you do them wrong, is there one that does?

Wiping is not the only thing that matters, some affixes can waste just as much time if done wrong. Not like you should be wiping to fel explosive anyway, like I say for the most part you only need 1 person on dedicated clean up duty and everybody else helps out when you get those +5 spawns at the same time.
I have to say that I find the system more annoying then involving... To many are class or role dependent. At the end of the day I would prefer that it simply have a flat increase to stats rather then some wacky new thing happening.
03/10/2018 10:11 AMPosted by Lockoclock
I would honestly rather they triple or quadruple explosive hp and just let them be aoe'd. Half the time tab target won't even target them.

Either this or just make them have 1 hp. It's not fair that some classes can spam instants and other classes have to use their main nukes on them.
Explosive week is FUN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWQLEMAPsgY
Teeming and Explosive together are terrible in trash heavy dungeons. This part is also excusably good in that week to week 'good keys' and 'bad keys' change it up (even though some combos and dungeons are still really over the top, and with exponential scaling get dumb really quickly)

...and in fortified so the trash pulls last long and... ugh.

I realize they don't want them to be 'totem stomped', but if they had more hp and lived longer but made them targettable via macro, it would be significantly less annoying of an affix. It's not 'hard' affix per se, but rather hard to target, which is a different (bad) kind of artificial 'hard'.
03/10/2018 11:10 AMPosted by Primalmatter
I have to say that I find the system more annoying then involving... To many are class or role dependent. At the end of the day I would prefer that it simply have a flat increase to stats rather then some wacky new thing happening.

Because that makes it totally interesting. And you can't really have a solid opinion when you've only dipped your toes into it. Explosive doesn't need to be solely on the tank nor should it. I've covered/helped on all roles in a dungeon. As someone said it's a team effort as it should be. They gave us "great" affixes for the mdi. No pug group going to knock out enough 23s with people not willing to do their part.
Haven't tried arcane since the first week fel explosives came out. I would target the explosive and cast arcane barrage, but they were immune to it since it's considered an aoe spell. Even at 0 arcane charges when it only hits one target. Only way I could kill them was with arcane blast.
03/10/2018 10:18 AMPosted by Lillyann
When i heal this affix I save holy fire for it. 6s CD and it kills them right out. The problem is how long it takes to target them amidst 6 other mobs and me trying not to let people die. If I hit tab 3 times and still get other mobs, I usually have to stop and heal.

I might be mistaken, but I was pretty certain that orbs couldn't be tag-targeted. They had to be clicked on. I think the wowhead guide says that explicitly. Are you guys sure that you are able to tab target them at all?
Yes it is an annoying affix and I swear there is special coding that causes a higher chance to spawn an orb per mob relative to all mobs pulled...so a 3 pack mob? No problem. An 8 pack imp swarm? You're dead.

Also what needs changed is guarantees that the orb isnt hidden. EoA is awesome for spawning them inside the pool for the last boss and under the sand for the 2nd.

I think it is good though for certain specs to get affixes to shine with. If anything, I would spice mythic+ up with generated dungeons where mobs themselves had random affixes...so the real skill is quickly determining the best way to handle and execute each random pull.
03/10/2018 02:39 PMPosted by Galabris
Also what needs changed is guarantees that the orb isnt hidden. EoA is awesome for spawning them inside the pool for the last boss and under the sand for the 2nd.

Turn on health bars.
03/10/2018 02:58 PMPosted by Gambanteinn

Turn on health bars.

The health bar doesn't show for me unless I hit it first which is redundant.
03/10/2018 02:58 PMPosted by Gambanteinn

Turn on health bars.

Even then, I have noticed that sometimes the health bars on the orbs don't pop up instantly when they spawn in.

What they really need to do though is make the time it takes for an orb to spawn in less random. I've had larger packs where barely any orbs decided to spawn in, while smaller ones were just raining orbs at times.