So what's going on with flying in BFA?

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5
My guess, going by MoP and Legion, I'd say we'll be able to fly around 8.2
10/05/2018 10:23 PMPosted by Daftbugger
I'm going to weigh in on the flying issue. Really, once you have the whistle it's not that difficult to get around. As a reminder, this is a game requiring "achievements" to gain anything. Complaining about it being boring/tedious and wanting to do away with anything that takes time and effort is contradictory. I like the game as it is (well, more or less). Whatever Blizzard does, someone is going to !@#$% about it. If you really hate it there are other things to do. Hell, your mom would probably be glad to get you out of her basement anyway.

LOL. Sure, do whatever you want, even if you know in advance it's going to be so unpopular that lots of people have said in advance they'd quit the game over it. That just makes perfect sense.

Maybe try to be a little more subtle next time, Ion.

I expect flight will be back in the same patch they open the end zone that has been intentionally designed so that flight can never be implemented there.

Next expansion they will just remove flight from end content again.
Complaining about it being boring/tedious and wanting to do away with anything that takes time and effort is contradictory.

Running from Point A to Point B does not take any effort. Especially if it's you've ran that particular path over a dozen times already to reach the world quest at Point B.

Whatever Blizzard does, someone is going to !@#$% about it.

So your "solution" is to never complain about anything. How about you have fun with your enforced mediocrity while leaving alone those of us who wish to improve the game.
Running from Point A to Point B does not take any effort. Especially if it's you've ran that particular path over a dozen times already to reach the world quest at Point B.

Then why do you object to it?

10/05/2018 11:22 PMPosted by Rankin
those of us who wish to improve the game.

I disagree. You wish to make the game easier -- easier for you.

To an actual game designer (who cares about the game, not themself) "faster and easier" does not mean "better".

It also does not mean "better" to all the game websites (game magazines, if they still exist) that influence the game purchases of millions of players. To earn a "9" instead of a "6" from those websites, Blizzard has to produce a "challenging" outdoor questing game, not a "trivially easy one". That is the obvious reason for delaying flying: no company in the world knows how to create a "challenging" outdoor questing game if players can fly.

So what YOU want (flying, day 1) would cost Blizzard millions of subscriptions to each new expansion. You call that a "better game"? I don't think so. Not to a company that is trying to stay in business.
10/05/2018 11:59 PMPosted by Qri
Then why do you object to it?

Because it's only being done to extend content instead of giving us more to do. It's also nice to have for alts.

It also does not mean "better" to all the game websites (game magazines, if they still exist) that influence the game purchases of millions of players. To earn a "9" instead of a "6" from those websites, Blizzard has to produce a "challenging" outdoor questing game, not a "trivially easy one". That is the obvious reason for delaying flying: no company in the world knows how to create a "challenging" outdoor questing game if players can fly.

Being able to fly does not make content easier to do. It just makes content easier to get to. The group finder does more to trivialize world content than flying ever has. Find semi-challenging world quest, click on eye icon, get shunted into a raid group and blow up the quest mob. Apparently that is acceptable as long as you ran to the world quest area on the ground instead of flying to it.

So what YOU want (flying, day 1) would cost Blizzard millions of subscriptions to each new expansion. You call that a "better game"? I don't think so. Not to a company that is trying to stay in business.

WotLK, when flying was available on day one, had the highest subscription count the game has ever had. Further, being able to fly has very little to do with subscription numbers, otherwise WoD would have been a smashing success according to people like you. What really matters is having a wide variety of engaging content for players to do.
5 posts into this necro and not one realizes what they're doing Jesus
i'm sick of not flying, getting totally bored anyway, flying might make me stay or maybe i'm just past it. That 5 mil bruto trader has shot me in the foot. I need something exciting to happen, like flying.
Being able to fly does not make content easier to do. It just makes content easier to get to.

Realize this is a necro'ed thread, but this pushed my buttons...

Of course it's easier to do. You don't have scores of trash mobs between you and your objective. You can drop down on a target (or node, or fishing spawn, etc.), take care of business, and exfiltrate post haste. Access is only part of it. It saves time, repair costs, circumvents adds, etc.
you'll have fun on blizzards terms and you'll like it by god!!

you think you want flying, but you don't.

screw you blizzard -.-
Already stated multiple times pathfinder part 2 comes out a couple weeks after the last raid of the expac launches. Likely when the LFR wing opens. Plenty of time to enjoy the content until then. Relax folks.
03/18/2018 01:23 PMPosted by Airella

Just remember flying was never an issue until the current devs made it an issue. I don't recall ever hearing people complain that they could fly once they hit max level.

This, so hard. People only jump on the "lol I liek not flying, l2immersion nubs!1" bandwagon because it's what the cool kids are doing, and it gives them another petty excuse to criticize others for the simple crime of wanting the damn choice.

I STILL have yet to see anyone give a serious and not-trolly response to this statement:

If you don't like flying, why don't you simply not fly? Why do those of us that DO like flying need to be grounded just to satisfy you?
10/31/2018 03:05 PMPosted by Toreth

Just remember flying was never an issue until the current devs made it an issue. I don't recall ever hearing people complain that they could fly once they hit max level.

This, so hard. People only jump on the "lol I liek not flying, l2immersion nubs!1" bandwagon because it's what the cool kids are doing, and it gives them another petty excuse to criticize others for the simple crime of wanting the damn choice.

I STILL have yet to see anyone give a serious and not-trolly response to this statement:

If you don't like flying, why don't you simply not fly? Why do those of us that DO like flying need to be grounded just to satisfy you?

That's because there is literally no legitiment argument in favor of not flying. Everything people claim they like is available to do when we have flying.
i
Play the game get pathfinder, no fuss or bother at all.

If only! And yet folks who've been playing since the start of BfA and have pathfinder 1 complete still can't fly. Funny, that.

This, so hard.

It's an issue with the designers, not the bulk of the player base.

And the change in WoD did not come from "nowhere".

MoP had 3 no fly zones, and 1 "shoot down" zone to limit flying. Thunder Isle, Isle of Giants, and Timeless Isle were all "no fly" zones. By design. One MIGHT hand wave Thunder Isle as "not being designed for flying", since you actually zone in to it (though it's not instanced). But TI HAD flying (you could flying around it, plus the Albatrosses), and IoG was so simple, it wasn't really an issue.

Yet, flying was disabled.

The Operation Shieldwall (and Horde equivalent) were shoot down zones. They shot you even if you mounted up on the ground.

The designers learned in Cata the problems with unlimited flight, since they gave it to everyone at the very beginning. I honestly don't even know if there are roads in Twilight Highlands. Hyjal was "designed for flight" simply by the fact that you can't (safely) navigate it on the ground, not as a low level character. One road had continuously spawning Ogres that would clobber you, as an example.

Vash'jr is also "designed for flight", being a completely 3D environment (save that you're "flying" through water). Vash'jr is routinely noted as a top "hated" zone the the player base.

Cata was the last straw as demonstrated by what they did in MoP, and, later, going off the deep end in WoD.

People only jump on the "lol I liek not flying, l2immersion nubs!1" bandwagon because it's what the cool kids are doing, and it gives them another petty excuse to criticize others for the simple crime of wanting the damn choice.

The "you" in this case is the designers.

Don't have to convince the players, convince the designers. THEY don't want you to fly. So, you know what? You don't fly.

It's really simple.

They want to control the experience. They want to reveal it on their terms. It's their story, their encounters, their assets, their world. They put a boat load of work in to it, it's not untoward that they may want to limit how you experience it.

And, no, still, again, it's not "to extend content", "keep subs", "make you play longer", blah blah blah. They CAN NOT STOP YOU from quitting.

If you buy BfA, you can get PF1 before you sub runs out, many have done so. And then come back when PF2 pops up. You can just quit on principle!

Many HAVE! "No flight, no monies!" and they've stuck to their guns. Who knows if they'll be back when flight is enabled.

You control the quarter, they control the machine.

BfA is far and above MUCH easier to navigate on the ground than Legion was. Azsuna, High Mountain, Stormheim, Broken Shore? Hardly anything like those in BfA. The jungles of Zuldazar are probably the worst of it. You can pretty much just draw a line from anywhere to anywhere save for a wee bit of swimming and ride it.

Flight is a game element and mechanic that the designers choose to not release until later. You don't have flight for the same reason my chaos bolts aren't pink (DESPITE my hair), because Blizzard doesn't want pink Chaos Bolts. They think that if there were Chaos Bolts, they wouldn't be pink. They had a meeting, they made a decision, they painted and coded it up -- no pink Chaos Bolts.

They didn't even ASK me.

Note, I'm not telling you to stop complaining, or having threads, or anything. Not my cup of coffee. I'm just pointing out the lay of the land.

Recall the end scene of Good Fellas where the wife is asking the FBI agent about all the things that they can do in protective custody. And he's just nodding his head along with her and then says "No".

Same thing here.

Flying waits. And it's gated behind Pathfinder.

Share and enjoy!

This, so hard.

It's an issue with the designers, not the bulk of the player base.

And the change in WoD did not come from "nowhere".

MoP had 3 no fly zones, and 1 "shoot down" zone to limit flying. Thunder Isle, Isle of Giants, and Timeless Isle were all "no fly" zones. By design. One MIGHT hand wave Thunder Isle as "not being designed for flying", since you actually zone in to it (though it's not instanced). But TI HAD flying (you could flying around it, plus the Albatrosses), and IoG was so simple, it wasn't really an issue.

Yet, flying was disabled.

The Operation Shieldwall (and Horde equivalent) were shoot down zones. They shot you even if you mounted up on the ground.

The designers learned in Cata the problems with unlimited flight, since they gave it to everyone at the very beginning. I honestly don't even know if there are roads in Twilight Highlands. Hyjal was "designed for flight" simply by the fact that you can't (safely) navigate it on the ground, not as a low level character. One road had continuously spawning Ogres that would clobber you, as an example.

Vash'jr is also "designed for flight", being a completely 3D environment (save that you're "flying" through water). Vash'jr is routinely noted as a top "hated" zone the the player base.

Cata was the last straw as demonstrated by what they did in MoP, and, later, going off the deep end in WoD.

People only jump on the "lol I liek not flying, l2immersion nubs!1" bandwagon because it's what the cool kids are doing, and it gives them another petty excuse to criticize others for the simple crime of wanting the damn choice.

The "you" in this case is the designers.

Don't have to convince the players, convince the designers. THEY don't want you to fly. So, you know what? You don't fly.

It's really simple.

They want to control the experience. They want to reveal it on their terms. It's their story, their encounters, their assets, their world. They put a boat load of work in to it, it's not untoward that they may want to limit how you experience it.

And, no, still, again, it's not "to extend content", "keep subs", "make you play longer", blah blah blah. They CAN NOT STOP YOU from quitting.

If you buy BfA, you can get PF1 before you sub runs out, many have done so. And then come back when PF2 pops up. You can just quit on principle!

Many HAVE! "No flight, no monies!" and they've stuck to their guns. Who knows if they'll be back when flight is enabled.

You control the quarter, they control the machine.

BfA is far and above MUCH easier to navigate on the ground than Legion was. Azsuna, High Mountain, Stormheim, Broken Shore? Hardly anything like those in BfA. The jungles of Zuldazar are probably the worst of it. You can pretty much just draw a line from anywhere to anywhere save for a wee bit of swimming and ride it.

Flight is a game element and mechanic that the designers choose to not release until later. You don't have flight for the same reason my chaos bolts aren't pink (DESPITE my hair), because Blizzard doesn't want pink Chaos Bolts. They think that if there were Chaos Bolts, they wouldn't be pink. They had a meeting, they made a decision, they painted and coded it up -- no pink Chaos Bolts.

They didn't even ASK me.

Note, I'm not telling you to stop complaining, or having threads, or anything. Not my cup of coffee. I'm just pointing out the lay of the land.

Recall the end scene of Good Fellas where the wife is asking the FBI agent about all the things that they can do in protective custody. And he's just nodding his head along with her and then says "No".

Same thing here.

Flying waits. And it's gated behind Pathfinder.

Share and enjoy!

If enough quit and complain they'll change it. It just take a massive amount...like the amount of people that said "HELL NO" to their no flying going forward stance.
10/31/2018 04:06 PMPosted by Ryuk
If enough quit and complain they'll change it. It just take a massive amount...like the amount of people that said "HELL NO" to their no flying going forward stance.

And yet here you are, along with the up-voters.
10/31/2018 08:09 PMPosted by Piddy
10/31/2018 04:06 PMPosted by Ryuk

And yet here you are, along with the up-voters.

I'm in old content. Not that it matters to the almighty time played metric. Make no mistake I will not be here for the next expansion launch especially if flying is still gated.