Early Expansion = BFA is screwed

General Discussion
If I remember correctly, the two worst expansions, WoD and Cata, were early releases (maybe not, I don't quite remember). We all remember how that turned out.

Blizz, I know you aren't going to listen. I'm not in Alpha, I'm no one important, just someone ranting on General Discussion. Why listen to me? But I'll try anyway. Blizzard, I'm begging you to reconsider that date.

Stick with September. Give yourself time to test and polish, and actually FINISH the Alliance part of BfA. With the August 14th release date, you're going to rush at the last second, cut a ton of good content, and roll it out without a second thought. It's going to fail, just like WoD.

Maybe make the release date even later than September. Heck, roll it out on Christmas! Give yourself time, alright? Can you actually start putting effort into expansions instead of giving us a half-polished turd and saying, "It's good enough"?

/rantover
I don't think you're remembering correctly. WoD was released in November 2014, a good 26 months after MoP. Not sure about the timing with Cata, but then Cata was not one of the worst expansions (Cata's my favorite).
where is my downvote button?
WoD wasn't an early expansion. The drought was actually infamous.
Cata launch was fine, not sure what you are referring to.

I do agree though that if it's not gonna be done by August, it should be released when it's done.
If they really think they can get the amount of content out that Legion had at release by the date they've given, great.

If not, I'd rather wait.

They set a new standard with Legion and I expect them to meet it.
We all pretty much assumed it would be at the end of August much like the release of Legion, pretty sure 2 weeks are not going to be all that devastating.
Alright, so I was wrong about the early releases. Neither Cata nor WoD were early. And, I'll admit, Cata was my third favorite.

But even if WoD wasn't released early, it was terrible and unfinished, and if BfA is gonna come out early, it's gonna be even worse. I'm prepared for that.
Legion was released about a month early too, let’s not forget that.

How does that fit into your “early releases are terrible!” Motif?

Also, Draenor was released early (Nov. 13 instead of Dec. 21). The issue with WoD was that it was very clear things were getting cut from production.

With BFA, things haven’t been cut yet.
04/05/2018 12:08 PMPosted by Lindeyna
Alright, so I was wrong about the early releases. Neither Cata nor WoD were early. And, I'll admit, Cata was my third favorite.

But even if WoD wasn't released early, it was terrible and unfinished, and if BfA is gonna come out early, it's gonna be even worse. I'm prepared for that.

yeah... two weeks is going to change everything
Okay, I can see I didn't quite get the point across. I'll be honest, I was just ranting and didn't really try to get any points across.
Here's a good quote describing how I feel about this early release, by Milkshakemoo:

04/05/2018 07:21 AMPosted by Milkshakemoo
4 month left for Alpha/Beta...

Looking at how Class development currently is..

I might not gonna buy BFA... especially with most cd and interrupts now in GCD and looking at the past class development, i don't think they'll change their mind on this one :/

No new ability / talent when you reach 110
Now that artifact weapon traits is disabled in BFA, you pretty much gain nothing when you reach 110.

On level 120 all you get is Azerite Gear which doesn't really give much imo, atleast Artifact Weapon changes most classes core gampelay, i know Azerite Gear is still just recently available on Alpha, but i am pretty sure it'll be mostly passive that you can ignore gameplay wise, sure you have to choose which Trait you want to choose, but it'll not do much on the core gameplay.

Oh my god i can't get hyped... i remember i was super hyped when Legion is still in Alpha, i pretty much get as much info i can, spoil myself, and still very hyped.

But BFA... it's... just meh...

Maybe because WoD was such a bad expansion which made Legion look 10x better and now it made BFA look worse.

But honestly, even i was a bit hyped when WoD was announced, and that hype is killed when i see the pruning of abilities, which led me to not play WoD.

4 month... good god almighty... it's so early.
WoD ended up bad because of the influx of titan devs and overextending resources on garrisons. Not because it was released early.
WoD is perhaps the farthest thing there is possible from an early release. It had a drought of content that was 14 months long.

Also time of year does not dictate early as you seem to think. It is how long from the previous release. Legion was released August 30, 2016. BFA will be almost 2 full years. How is that an early release?
Some of these issues are design decisions that are not affected by the early release.

If they decided that they wanted to add another 120 ability, they could. Their design decision is to not. 4 months or 5 months won’t change that.

And we don’t even know if it is technically early. The preorders had to say “on or before Sept. 21” for legal constraints to be able to say that it released in summer. For all we know, Blizzard could have had this August date in mind from the very beginning.
04/05/2018 12:18 PMPosted by Graphy
And we don’t even know if it is technically early. The preorders had to say “on or before Sept. 21” for legal constraints to be able to say that it released in summer. For all we know, Blizzard could have had this August date in mind from the very beginning.

Shhhh.

We don't do logic on the forums.

At least that's what I've been told.
04/05/2018 12:18 PMPosted by Graphy

Also this^

Keep in mind, Legion pre-order said the exact same thing, the technical end of summer for legal reasons.
I'm free in August, got stuff to do in September, this date works for me!
Logic dictates to me that with all the pre-orders already banked, glitch and bug filled release on Aug 14th is quite possible.
It feels really rough compared to my other experiences with betas/alphas.

It might be possible that it will launch without raids at first unless they are extremely far ahead in their internal builds.
04/05/2018 12:01 PMPosted by Lindeyna
If I remember correctly, the two worst expansions, WoD and Cata, were early releases (maybe not, I don't quite remember). We all remember how that turned out.

There was a 14 month content drought before WoD was released, and IIRC 10-12 months of no content before Cataclysm was released.

I'm not sure exactly how you define an "early release" - but while WoD had a host of problems being released too early was not one of them.
Again... why people keep saying Cata was bad??? I was there. I did the content, i did heroics. To date some of the BEST questing experiences in the game. ENTIRE overhaul of Azeroth, and yes including the impossibly hard dungeons at the beginning.

Why people keep saying Cata was bad????

Smh