Why kill the Web AH?

General Discussion
Prev 1 9 10 11 14 Next
I just don't believe few people are using it and most of the ones using it are using exploits. You telling me the vast majority of the users only use the in game AH? Or the vast majority of the users don't use the AH at all? It doesn't make sense. It seemed that once or twice a year after an update the AH would stop working and it would take as long as a month to get it to function again. It sounds like they didn't have many resources into keeping it working as is and this is nothing but a cost cutting measure. I suspect, they killed the in game voice chat for the same reason.
04/12/2018 08:16 AMPosted by Alvinius
You telling me the vast majority of the users only use the in game AH?

i used the Web AH when it was first released but it is too limiting with 200 auctions per day. So with addons, I made the in-game auction house better and use it to manage my auctions several times a day. During big selling periods, I could have up to 2000 auctions going at a time. And no, it wasn't by listing cloth and ore in lots of 1.
Is it not an option to charge a monthly fee again in order to use the AH portion of the app? I've been actively using the mobile AH for 6+ years, and I paid for the app the moment it was available, all the way up until it became free to use. Why not go back to the subscription option, if funding for the area is a concern? I'd be happy to pay again just to be able to use this feature. It's been so excellent while I'm at work, travelling on vacation, out to the store, etc. And the mobile system felt a lot cleaner and efficient than the in-game version.
04/11/2018 02:33 PMPosted by Mauerbrecher
Considering that sub numbers aren't healthy enough to be announced anymore, why is it that far fetched to think that Activision would change the metric to hours played when trying to convince investors that a very expensive project is worth continually investing money into?

Because sub numbers have nothing to do with the actual "health" of the game. I haven't had a sub since the day the token launched, and have had 100% uninterrupted game time. Come to think of it, I haven't paid for much of anything Blizzard in 2 years because of my Blizz-bucks... yet that's wonderful for their bottom line since they make $20 for every $15 I "spend". For every person who plays the game via non-sub means, Blizzard effectively raised the sub from $15 to $20 without anyone caring - meaning that actual subs are the least profitable way for them to measure the game's health.
04/12/2018 04:20 AMPosted by Ottilia
04/11/2018 05:42 PMPosted by Zeerionjax
Why have the numerous complaints about the heirlooms being nerfed been ignored? Why has the new level scaling not been fixed, or is it the aim of the shareho ... err ... development team to make it as frustrating as possible in hopes of enticing more people to buy level boosts, one of the most expensive services offered in WoW. Why have the developers ignored, for the most part, the various complaints from, and copious feedback that players have offered.
As much as I hate the leveling experience too, we are NOT the majority of the playerbase.
Blizzard aren't stupid. The game is surviving this long because they are watching the majority of the players.
Now say, if perchance 1 million players hated the new leveling system and flooded the forums, yes, Blizzard would notice that.
It's not happening because for some bizarre reason, the absolute majority like the new leveling, or they are content to go with the flow without complaint.
Your argument is therefore mute. You can't say Blizzard isn't listening. They actually are. To the MAJORITY. We here, are NOT THE MAJORITY.

What a load of total BS. I can go to any WoW related website, and some that have WoW sections and see the MAJORITY of players are not liking the slower leveling and the loom nerfs. Theres ZERO power progression and this old content was made in a time where classes actually were designed around said content. Right now, the leveling is a total fail, and will remain so. Theres no new flood of new players, theres no flood of older players rushing to level anything through that artificial slog! I tried it 4 times so far with the 4 new races and have made it to level 25. I cant stand it, and even the most popular by far zones in the lower leveling process, Duskwood, Eastern, Western Plague are EMPTY, and its not due to sharding. Q's are up to over an hour, sometimes much more.

Its a fail and yes the majority has spoken up about it and there it still sits lifeless. They cant even take a day or two to fix the 60-80 mobs(it would take a lousy blanket numbers run to decrease the mobs HP by whatever % seems better. But again there it sits, empty and still broken.

Boosting the looms XP would take ummm hours and giving back the stats, same thing. The only thing that might take a tiny bit more time would be making looms give less XP and nerf their stats to green level items whenever players enter GROUPED content.

They need to fix it, because it really is broken, no matter what the minority on this forum alone says.

Not even going to get into that total disaster that is WoD. That is a total mess.
04/12/2018 08:21 AMPosted by Ellumina
And the mobile system felt a lot cleaner and efficient than the in-game version.

From listening to people who used it, that seems like an almost unanimous opinion. It would be very nice to see the in-game interface overhauled. I have a vague memory of them saying they would look into do that and do realize it is outdated. We can hope right?

I just don't believe few people are using it and most of the ones using it are using exploits. You telling me the vast majority of the users only use the in game AH? Or the vast majority of the users don't use the AH at all?

Yes, and Blizzard has the data to back that up. Those that use the AH, do so mostly in game. I am actually pleased the were transparent enough to tell us that most of the issues with it were exploits, in addition to the low user base.

It sounds like they didn't have many resources into keeping it working as is and this is nothing but a cost cutting measure. I suspect, they killed the in game voice chat for the same reason.

Yes, it IS a cost cutting measure. They explicitly said that. Not enough people used it to be worth the cost of keeping it updated and fighting the exploits. Nobody pretended that this was not about money. You are also right that the initial effort at voice chat was cut for a similar reason. It did not work anywhere near as well as third party programs like Vent and it was not used by very many people. Why keep an inferior program running when few people even use it? They have brought voice back in a much improved way with the new chat in OW and the Bnet wide voice chat groups.
the small amount of players that actually used it.

So lets remove mythic raiding too.

Its a bunch of work that very few players use.
There are a ton of amazing features that can be implemented into the actual auction houses interface. Could get rid of the whole going back & forth to the mailbox to get expired auctions by simply having an expired auction tab on the AH that reads from the mailbox - I do know its possible. Just click and go - no need to leave the AH ever again ;) great for my bank toon lol But there are so many useful things that can come out of revamping the auction house and making it a much better user experience for all of us gold goblins :D
04/12/2018 09:38 AMPosted by Chaaka

But the players that actually do use it are fairly likely to quit if it is gets removed.

It is less likely that the users of the web AH will quit the game because it is removed.

I suppose Blizzard should have posted an exhaustive business case analysis on the subject, then said they've now expended their budget for customer interaction for the year putting it together, see you next year. Because it seems that nothing short of that is good enough.

Also, two numbers being on the small side doesn't make them the same number.
04/12/2018 09:38 AMPosted by Chaaka

Whats mythic raiding?!?? :D :D :D
04/11/2018 07:38 PMPosted by Sedryn
I don't believe for a second it has to do with cost, and neither should you. There's another reason, but they'll probably never admit what it is.
He gave multiple reasons. One of which people were exploiting it.
I just don't believe few people are using it and most of the ones using it are using exploits.

Hypothetically, if you could get a peak at the usage databases, what metrics would you like to see?
It's nice that we got a clear response with precise rather than vague (or no) reasons. I can understand being disappointed that the AH is being removed from Armory app, but calling Ythisens a liar is uncalled for and just plain rude. Some of us do appreciate their time and responses even if it's not what we want to hear.

I used the app but also did stuff in game in AH. Hopefully, by no longer having to support the app AH they can work on improving the in game AH which Ion (and I think one other dev) has acknowledged is very outdated and needs work.
I agree Revannia... Not that it's the answer I *wanted* but a definitive answer nonetheless less. To that and, I'm glad they communicated. I find it hard to believe a fraction of a single digit percent used, but hey, I don't have the data after all.
04/12/2018 10:09 AMPosted by Revannia
Hopefully, by no longer having to support the app AH they can work on improving the in game AH which Ion (and I think one other dev) has acknowledged is very outdated and needs work.

Just a quick note on that. The web team was responsible for the app. They don't work on in game things, just web and mobile.
04/12/2018 10:57 AMPosted by Crepe
04/12/2018 10:09 AMPosted by Revannia
Hopefully, by no longer having to support the app AH they can work on improving the in game AH which Ion (and I think one other dev) has acknowledged is very outdated and needs work.

Just a quick note on that. The web team was responsible for the app. They don't work on in game things, just web and mobile.

Based on what Yth said, it was not just the Web team working on the app. It was actually taking away from WoW development time as well. The two teams have to work together and in-game changes have to be made in addition to app changes.
04/12/2018 07:19 AMPosted by Fixilocks
That's too bad - I was really hoping the AH was going to get an upgrade. It is dated and a very poor interface in the game right now and needs some real work. I find it hard to believe that the AH overall is used by only a small percentage of players, so the excuse to ignore it isn't there - yet they have completely ignored upgrading it for basically the entire life of WoW so far. CRAZY PANTS.

I agree that the in game Auction House definitely needs some updates and Ion touched on this awhile back in a Q&A. While we don't like suggesting addons (as we feel that the default UI should have enough functionality in a perfect world), they were suggested by Ion as a work around in the meantime. I currently don't know of any plans to update the Auction House, but as soon we hear information on any changes, you can be sure we will share it with the community. There was a lot of great feedback in here about the in game UI for it so I really appreciate the discussion about it so I can pass this on.
I would prefer to go back to paying a sub for it vs losing it. Yes I have used the mobile AH long enough to remember that I used to pay an additional monthly fee for it. This is a feature I will miss and one I think goes unused by many for the simple fact a lot of players don’t know it existed.
04/10/2018 02:12 PMPosted by Chishuk
What's really bad is the fact that the interface for the Mobile Auction House was so much better than its in-game counterpart. Listing stacks, researching items that aren't "Of the Gorilla" or whatever particular stat set is on the piece for transmog sellers, relisting items by clicking a button instead of opening mail, running up the stairs into the AH, and trying to remember what you sold it for beforehand... the list goes on.

I don't really get why they want to discontinue it when it's been around for so many years in the first place... hell, it's the reason I have the app in the first place. I don't often chat with my guild whilst I'm browsing Facebook, or look up things in the Armory at a whim. I used the thing to post auctions so that I didn't have to run back and forth between my auction character's bank and mailbox all the time, spending thirty minutes sorting through things. It's really a bummer that they're killing it off, because it's the interface that the blasted auction house actually needs.

Just so you know, most of this can be solved with addons. It's why i never use the app, in game is better to use once you have addons.