Why kill the Web AH?

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 14 Next
04/11/2018 09:41 AMPosted by Mirasol
The most logical explanation is that costs to keep it updated are not worth the relatively small number who use it.

Basically this. The Web/Mobile Auction had a lot more issues with keeping it up than it was really worth for the small amount of players that actually used it. Trying to tackle and fix those issues (for transparency the majority were just exploits) just takes dev time away from working on new content. While it may change in the future, we currently at this time aren't planning to bring this back.

04/10/2018 02:08 PMPosted by Mauerbrecher
Because they need to show investors that people are still logging into the game.

If you really, truly believe us deprecating the mobile Auction House, which was used by the tiniest fraction of a single percent of the community, has anything to do with the health of the game, then I don't think we're ever going to be able to see eye to eye on much.
Basically this. The Web/Mobile Auction had a lot more issues with keeping it up than it was really worth for the small amount of players that actually used it. Trying to tackle and fix those issues (for transparency the majority were just exploits) just takes dev time away from working on new content. While it may change in the future, we currently at this time aren't planning to bring this back.

What about rolling it's features into the game? It works much better than the in game AH.
Trying to tackle and fix those issues just takes dev time away from working on new content. While it may change in the future, we currently at this time aren't planning to bring this back.

How is this so? The group of people working on the mobile AH/Web AH are in some way tied into how fast new content gets pushed out? Is that what you're saying?
Hopefully they keep the phone app for follower missions and seeing WQs, etc.
04/11/2018 02:19 PMPosted by Teradan
Trying to tackle and fix those issues just takes dev time away from working on new content. While it may change in the future, we currently at this time aren't planning to bring this back.

How is this so? The group of people working on the mobile AH/Web AH are in some way tied into how fast new content gets pushed out? Is that what you're saying?

They wanna make money. You have to balance dev costs. Odds are they're different teams but you get a certain level of budget for new developments and the ROI on the mobile AH wasn't great
04/11/2018 02:19 PMPosted by Teradan

Yes, that is what he said. Mobile app does not work without in depth game knowledge and an intentional interface developed for it by the game Devs. The WoW team is either working directly on the app, or working with the in-house app developers. Most likely the WoW team did the app themselves. They can work on new stuff or they can spend time on something a tiny fraction of the community uses.
04/11/2018 02:16 PMPosted by Ythisens
The most logical explanation is that costs to keep it updated are not worth the relatively small number who use it.

Because they need to show investors that people are still logging into the game.

If you really, truly believe us deprecating the mobile Auction House, which was used by the tiniest fraction of a single percent of the community, has anything to do with the health of the game, then I don't think we're ever going to be able to see eye to eye on much.

Unfortunately, that's what many people have convinced themselves. That any change they don't like is the team just making sure people log in for that "muh time played metric"
04/11/2018 02:19 PMPosted by Florence
Hopefully they keep the phone app for follower missions and seeing WQs, etc.

Considering the many 'issues' facing the AH app were exploits I think it'll be easier to maintain the garrison app due to there be less ability for players to abuse it.

Considering that sub numbers aren't healthy enough to be announced anymore, why is it that far fetched to think that Activision would change the metric to hours played when trying to convince investors that a very expensive project is worth continually investing money into?

Investors like big numbers and often don't actually bother to look too far into the little details of said big numbers.

Presenting them with millions of numbers of logged in time rather than a few million subscribers makes sense if you're thinking about just giving them a massive number.

It's business.

I'm not married to that idea though, if someone can really give some good debate against that, then that's great,
The Web/Mobile Auction had a lot more issues with keeping it up than it was really worth for the small amount of players that actually used it.

You realize the small amount of players that "actually" use it was due to its constant issues and lack of any support whatsoever? That app has been outdated for a long, long time.

Though I am salty to see it go, I really really hope you guys find an easier, more secure way to bring this back.

Or at the very least, UPDATE THE IN-GAME AUCTION HOUSE. It's interface is also outdated and rather cumbersome to use.

Thanks, I love you.
04/11/2018 02:41 PMPosted by Rawrshocks
Or at the very least, UPDATE THE IN-GAME AUCTION HOUSE. It's interface is also outdated and rather cumbersome to use.

I'm pretty sure there are addons for that.

Why did you ruin the leveling speed and take away power progression for a huge amount of players? Or are we also some tiny fraction of a single percent? When on here (the old PTR forum), and every other form of media, the time it takes to now level, and the nerf to the loom stats is overwhelmingly negative, and WoD is a joke, and all of it remains unfixed, or better yet, not even acknowledged.

As for the mobile AH, could care less, but because blizz has shown zero transparency on how they actually gauge the games health(because theres a ton of players wanting to know if you are counting just logging in for a half hour, as a days worth of play?) Or what exactly it is you do use as a metric, instead of actually counting "active" paid and token subs?

Just saying.
glad it's gone

there are bot programs that can automate the app while dodging warden type stuff
04/11/2018 02:33 PMPosted by Mauerbrecher
Considering that sub numbers aren't healthy enough to be announced anymore, why is it that far fetched to think that Activision would change the metric to hours played when trying to convince investors that a very expensive project is worth continually investing money into?

Investors like big numbers and often don't actually bother to look too far into the little details of said big numbers.

Presenting them with millions of numbers of logged in time rather than a few million subscribers makes sense if you're thinking about just giving them a massive number.

It's business.

I'm not married to that idea though, if someone can really give some good debate against that, then that's great,

They use a metric called Monthly Active Units (MAUs). This is kind of standardized across all their games, of which only WoW has a sub. This makes the metrics easy to compare between games. Logging in to the game via a phone, tablet, or PC all count towards that metric. That is why you can't log in from the PC and the app at the same time - they both count as a tracked login on your account. The Mobile AH was not hurting that - it counted towards it. If anything, removing it REDUCES, some of their login metric data.
I'd like to see more search options with the in-game auction house.

Being able to limit searches to a minimum stack size would be nice. Automaticaly excluding all listings for 1 of an item where you really want a stack of 20 would be great.

I'd also like the ability to set an item level range for search results.

It would be nice if the AH had some of the abilities of the app. For example, the app will automatically set your sell price.
04/11/2018 02:33 PMPosted by Mauerbrecher

It's business.

They use a metric called Monthly Active Units (MAUs). Logging in to the game via a phone, tablet, or PC all count towards that metric. That is why you can't log in from the PC and the app at the same time - they both count as a tracked login on your account. The Mobile AH was not hurting that - it counted towards it. If anything, removing it REDUCES, some of their login metric data.

So it counts 1 person multiple times or 1 login per person a day?

If I were logged in on the website, the mobile AH, the legion garrison app, and the game, would it count as 4 or 1?

Does relogging add another mark or is it 1 mark the first time I log in for the day?
The Web/Mobile Auction had a lot more issues with keeping it up than it was really worth for the small amount of players that actually used it. Trying to tackle and fix those issues (for transparency the majority were just exploits) just takes dev time away from working on new content.

...and there ya go.

Get rid of it never to return. Thank you!
04/11/2018 02:54 PMPosted by Mordecaí

This blue is a liar and has no data to prove his statements.
GAH!

We get an answer--AN ACTUAL ANSWER!--but because it doesn't fit with whatever preconceived notion you have, it's a LIE?

Just...just go away. Please.