PAX East: Beta Testing coming soon

General Discussion
Daniel Stahl revealed game systems will be tested in Closed Beta very soon. Make sure to enable the Beta Opt-in in your Battle.net account for the upcoming waves of invites.

This is the interview held last week.

https://youtu.be/NCA5bW3raUo
Wait Blizzard had more then just a trailer on loop and a gift shop at Pax East ...
04/12/2018 01:31 PMPosted by Input
Wait Blizzard had more then just a trailer on loop and a gift shop at Pax East ...

They held multiple interviews:
https://www.mmo-champion.com/content/7512-Battle-for-Azeroth-Developer-Interviews-Blue-Posts-FinalBossTV-Priests
Soon is a very broad term in Blizzard's dictionary. It could be next week. It could be in June.
They've been bringing in random people for weeks now. I'm not sure what the yardstick is for changing from Alpha to Beta is at Blizzard, but from our viewpoint it probably could have been labeled Beta a while back.
Well the difference I guess is we are not testing systems heavily in Alpha, whereas Beta is intended to focus on systems -- sorta everything up to end-game set out for testing.
04/12/2018 01:50 PMPosted by Fadegrin
Well the difference I guess is we are not testing systems heavily in Alpha, whereas Beta is intended to focus on systems -- sorta everything up to end-game set out for testing.

They've had betas that were significantly less feature complete.

It's a label and it really doesn't seem to mean anything in particular expansion to expansion. I don't know, maybe there's a publicity milestone they shoot for with it.
04/12/2018 02:12 PMPosted by Crepe
04/12/2018 01:50 PMPosted by Fadegrin

They've had betas that were significantly less feature complete.

It's a label and it really doesn't seem to mean anything in particular expansion to expansion. I don't know, maybe there's a publicity milestone they shoot for with it.

At the very least you would think a Beta would include the basics of all new features and functionality. Azerite Armor is barely included in the system. War Fronts are not in the system. They just started testing the Island Expeditions a couple of weeks ago. Even old systems like Professions are still mission from the expansion.
Yep Beta is soon™! Please make sure you guys have opted in! You can do that in your account management under Beta Profile settings.

Please be mindful of things like phishing scams as Customer Support sees a spike of account compromises around Betas. Currently we're not giving out codes and only flagging accounts for Alpha/Beta access. You'll see some of the usual beta code giveaways as we get farther into Beta and those will be coming from trusted sources via giveaways.
04/12/2018 02:28 PMPosted by Ythisens
trusted sources

I'm guessing that includes Wowhead?
Yep Beta is soon™! Please make sure you guys have opted in! You can do that in your account management under [url="https://us.battle.net/account/management/beta-profile.html"]Beta Profile settings[/url].

Please be mindful of things like phishing scams as Customer Support sees a spike of account compromises around Betas. Currently we're not giving out codes and only flagging accounts for Alpha/Beta access. You'll see some of the usual beta code giveaways as we get farther into Beta and those will be coming from trusted sources via giveaways.

Done. Ythisens: Have I told you how dashing your horns look today? *Wink, nudge*
04/12/2018 02:31 PMPosted by Praying
trusted sources

"Beta keys are only available to our premium members."
does being in the alpha mean you continue when it goes to beta?
04/12/2018 03:09 PMPosted by Studmuffyn
does being in the alpha mean you continue when it goes to beta?

Yes. Once you're admitted to the test realms, you're in until they close. Or until you get kicked off (this has happened in the past to people who were disruptive).
04/12/2018 02:31 PMPosted by Praying
trusted sources

LOL

Wowhead is such a disease
04/12/2018 01:37 PMPosted by Crepe
They've been bringing in random people for weeks now. I'm not sure what the yardstick is for changing from Alpha to Beta is at Blizzard, but from our viewpoint it probably could have been labeled Beta a while back.

I don’t know if it’s quite ready to be called a beta yet. We’re still capped at 119, with one piece of low level Azerite Armor, lol, and there’s only a few features to actually test.

Slap a few things in and maybe it can be referred to as a “beta” but when I log on I still feel like I’m testing alpha.
04/12/2018 03:36 PMPosted by Xoja
Slap a few things in and maybe it can be referred to as a “beta” but when I log on I still feel like I’m testing alpha.

There have been betas where entire zones hadn't been implemented yet.

BC had points of no return where if you went too far, it instantly killed you. That was their hint that the zone wasn't open yet.
I never get beta invites. Just as long as blizzard doesn't repeat the twitch streamer key giveaway like last time. That was a disaster.
Do they pay anyone to do testing? I'm sure some people give good feedback but people try harder when they're paid.
04/12/2018 03:36 PMPosted by Xoja

Alpha doesn't really imply it's the same build(s) as what they have internally. It's just another layer that will inevitably be behind what they are going to push out next.