Holy Priest feedback

Battle for Azeroth Items and Classes
1 2 3 26 Next
I didn't see a thread for Holy Priests, so thought I'd create one and all feedback could be consolidated here.

My own thoughts:

- Loss of Light of T'uure just adds more to the feeling that Holy Priests are stuck being the immobile healer. Instant PoM would somewhat alleviate that, as would stronger Renew. Our speed boost talents should be upped to 60%.

- Little to nothing has been done to help Holy Priests with survivability in Mythic+. This will still be a very obvious shortfall of the Holy Priest, and we can already predict that they again will be second-class citizens when it comes to high levels of Mythic+. Ability of Disc Priests to spam shields on entire party will probably break the meta at the high end.

- Holy Nova now feels useless once again. Does tiny damage, heals even tinier damage. Holy Nova was once in this form, and it was changed because it was universally panned for being a joke, don't the developers remember this? The main consequence of this change has been to nerf Holy Priest questing.

- Divine Hymn was supported by many traits in the Artifact that are now gone. Divine Hymn feels especially weak in 5-mans, because the whole "heals for 10% more" aspect goes mostly wasted when you're the only one tossing out heals and you're also stuck channeling that actual spell. I suggest that its effectiveness be increased by 110%, rather than 100%, when used in dungeons. Could also build in the PoM bouncing from the Artifact as well.

- Adding channeling to Symbol of Hope just adds more to the feeling that Holy Priests are not allowed to move and be useful at the same time, unlike most other healers. Suggest either it be instant cast or allow moving while channeling.

- Appreciate the slightly lower cooldown on Guardian Spirit from 4 down to 3 minutes. It's still much longer than the external cooldowns of Resto Druids, Holy Pallies, and Mistweaver Monks. It should honestly function with the talent Guardian Angel built in, which is already forced to unsuccessfully compete against Light of the Naaru.

- Cosmic Ripple generally cannot compete against Holy Word Salvation and Apotheosis because it is uncontrolled healing that is also fairly weak. Sure, it's free healing, but free healing in this form is not worth a level 100 Talent point.

- Circle of Healing deserves a second look after its sad spot in Legion. Cooldown should be reduced, mana cost should be reduced, and/or healing should be increased. It does not come close to the other talents in its row right now. Remember when it used to be the Holy Priest equivalent to Resto Druid's Wild Growth? Guess which one stayed baseline and the core of AE healing, while the other was both made a talent and neutered beyond usability.

- It's time to talk about Heal. Right now, its only role is as the button you hit in LFR when all the healers are out of gas, 1/2 of the raid is dead, and you're just running on fumes until the Enrage Timer takes you to your sweet oblivion. Something should be done about it, but not in a way that it always competes with Flash Heal. Maybe for every Flash Heal you cast, the cast time of Heal is lowered by 5% and the crit is increased by 5%? Just a random idea basically stolen from the Resto Druid talent Abundance, I'm sure others will have better suggestions.
Holy Nova's damage does feel a little weak, but I can live with it. It's still better than single target when I have to deal with several trivial adds at once. Definitely not saying I wouldn't gladly take a buff to its damage though.

I don't have a lot of specific feedback about Holy because I've only quested with it. I was pleased that I only lost the artifact ability and gained Holy Word: We're Not Wiping On My Watch as a talent. It seems like a really neat ability. The only thing I'd maybe change about it is have it apply a damage reduction buff instead of the instant AOE heal because Holy already has a long throughput CD. That combined with the PoM/Renew effects would make it a little more useful for ongoing damage, which is what it seems to be tailored to. I'll gladly take it as it is though.

I was surprised to see Symbol of Hope return as a baseline spell. Don't really have any opinion of it either way. I do think the concerns about how much stuff Holy has to channel are worth addressing though.
04/25/2018 06:27 AMPosted by Nixxea
Holy Nova's damage does feel a little weak, but I can live with it. It's still better than single target when I have to deal with several trivial adds at once. Definitely not saying I wouldn't gladly take a buff to its damage though.

I don't have a lot of specific feedback about Holy because I've only quested with it. I was pleased that I only lost the artifact ability and gained Holy Word: We're Not Wiping On My Watch as a talent. It seems like a really neat ability. The only thing I'd maybe change about it is have it apply a damage reduction buff instead of the instant AOE heal because Holy already has a long throughput CD. That combined with the PoM/Renew effects would make it a little more useful for ongoing damage, which is what it seems to be tailored to. I'll gladly take it as it is though.

I was surprised to see Symbol of Hope return as a baseline spell. Don't really have any opinion of it either way. I do think the concerns about how much stuff Holy has to channel are worth addressing though.

Holy Word Salvation is really great and quite useful in raids, but it also highlights how weak Cosmic Ripple is in comparison.
04/25/2018 04:09 AMPosted by Shortchanged
- It's time to talk about Heal. Right now, its only role is as the button you hit in LFR when all the healers are out of gas, 1/2 of the raid is dead, and you're just running on fumes until the Enrage Timer takes you to your sweet oblivion. Something should be done about it, but not in a way that it always competes with Flash Heal. Maybe for every Flash Heal you cast, the cast time of Heal is lowered by 5% and the crit is increased by 5%? Just a random idea basically stolen from the Resto Druid talent Abundance, I'm sure others will have better suggestions.

I honestly think it would be fine to just remove heal from the game and reduce the mana cost of flash heal to the same as heal. This would mean serenity may be coming off cooldown a little faster more often. They could reduce the cooldown reduction per cast by a second if it was an issue. Right now binding heal is cheaper than even heal, same cast speed as flash heal but heals for significantly more if all 3 parts of the heal are effective. Having a 1.5 second cast filler already works (it was a popular playstyle even if it wasn't the highest HPS possible), now it would just be a matter of choosing between a 3 target heal that splits its cooldown reduction between two holy words, or a single target heal for serenity.

They also already ditched nourish/healing touch for druids and merged their big fast heal with their efficient heal (though the efficiency depending on abundance I think may be an issue for them). I think it would work even better in the case of holy priests. While I am against the pruning of interesting and unique things, I don't really feel like heal holds an important unique roll in the kit and could be merged with flash without being missed.

- Holy Nova now feels useless once again. Does tiny damage, heals even tinier damage. Holy Nova was once in this form, and it was changed because it was universally panned for being a joke, don't the developers remember this? The main consequence of this change has been to nerf Holy Priest questing.

This was discussed a lot in multiple alpha threads. They seem to be nerfing AoE damage across the board, so I don't know that we'll ever have very strong AoE damage as a healer if that's their philosophy on AoE damage.

I think making holy nova an interesting part of our kit can instead involve adding a new feature on top of it being a light mobile heal + light DPS. Someone in alpha suggested making PoM bounce every time holy nova hits it (maybe also giving it a chance to not consume a charge?).

- Loss of Light of T'uure just adds more to the feeling that Holy Priests are stuck being the immobile healer. Instant PoM would somewhat alleviate that, as would stronger Renew. Our speed boost talents should be upped to 60%.

I'd really love instant PoM back baseline. I've been asking for that for years.

Maybe they could even bring the extended PoM bounce range from the PvP talent that would now be missing half its value and add it into benediction?

- Little to nothing has been done to help Holy Priests with survivability in Mythic+. This will still be a very obvious shortfall of the Holy Priest, and we can already predict that they again will be second-class citizens when it comes to high levels of Mythic+. Ability of Disc Priests to spam shields on entire party will probably break the meta at the high end.

In alpha I had suggested bringing back some old survival talents. I think a decent idea would also be to just make perseverance baseline and just add a third mobility talent in its place. We are horrendously slow without a mobility talent and way too squishy. We shouldn't have to choose between two things we just really need simultaneously.

I'd also consider making the baseline perseverance even stronger if 10% DR just wasn't good enough. Perhaps making every tick of renew on yourself proc focused will would be nice. 30% DR that's up all the time may be viewed as too strong, but it would be a strong personal DR vs. Disc priests being able to reduce damage being taken by the entire group. If that was too strong just buffing a baseline perseverance to 15% could be an option too.

04/25/2018 06:27 AMPosted by Nixxea

I think either Divine Hymn or Symbol of Hope should just be converted to an instant cast that puts up a buff with no channeling. If it were divine hymn, maybe making it just a larger healing buff for a longer duration could be an option instead of a tranquility clone. Possibly adding PoM bouncing back to it (but limiting how many it will make bounce per second so it's not OP when combined with the salvation).
Oh good a Holy Priest Thread!

So I just got access to Beta yesterday and I have started playing it out. I have a few comments as well that I think should get looked at!

It was stated earlier but we still have no personal. We can talent into renew being a 10% dmg reduction but it isn't going to be taken, especially in mythic +- we are already so limited with movement.

Disc was given desperate prayer. What.... So disc has Pain Sup, Desperate Prayer AND Holy Word Shield. Holy has DP and Guardian, which isn't really a great CD. I think if Holy could get Holy Word Shield that would be nice or even a holy form of dispersion. I feel really weak and I think I am going to get rocked when Mythic + goes live in BFA.

I fear priests are going to get put in a position where the questions are going to be asked, why Holy instead of Druid/Sham/Monk and honestly as of now, there isn't a reason to consider Holy Priest from a PvE standpoint. As it stands now, I feel like Disc is going to be the preferred healing spec for BFA.

We need a good dmg reduction/defensive CD, and mobility. I don't think any priest really cares about Hymn of Hope. It doesn't do anything for us but buff the other healers on our team for progression content (and is useless in mythic +) Hymn of Hope went instant during legion, it should stay instant in BFA. Otherwise we are just clunky and a supporting role that happens to be weaker than the other supports.

I would have rather seen Circle of Healing be baseline and Hymn of Hope a talent choice. CoH has not been a popular choice for the entirety if Legion, and it doesn't appear to be a popular choice early on with Beta.

Also.... Disc gets Holy Nova as well? From looking at the 2 specs, Disc got reworked and granted more Holy Abilities and Holy got nothing but Hymn of Hope. Hardly seems fair. Holy has been a "weaker" spec for so many expansions except I think it did really well in Legion (minus the defensive and mobility for Mythic+) but Holy was a spec seen in so many RAIDS. Don't put us back in the corner with little to no utility and spells no one will care about.
In alpha I had suggested bringing back some old survival talents. I think a decent idea would also be to just make perseverance baseline and just add a third mobility talent in its place. We are horrendously slow without a mobility talent and way too squishy. We shouldn't have to choose between two things we just really need simultaneously.

I'd also consider making the baseline perseverance even stronger if 10% DR just wasn't good enough. Perhaps making every tick of renew on yourself proc focused will would be nice. 30% DR that's up all the time may be viewed as too strong, but it would be a strong personal DR vs. Disc priests being able to reduce damage being taken by the entire group. If that was too strong just buffing a baseline perseverance to 15% could be an option too.

Just to add, another option would be to make feathers baseline (as has been requested by many people) so we had baseline mobility, and then transform that talent tier into all survival talents. In either case we'd get either survival or mobility baseline and then be able to pick from options for the other.
I just want to know Why priests, alone of all healers, have to talent for ANY mobility?

Monks - Roll
Druids - Dash
Pallies - Divine Steed
Shamans - ghost wolf

Sure, some of the above are better than others, but they are all BASELINE. Why must the priest start with none, and then be forced to Sophie's Choice between any mobility or survivability?
04/25/2018 02:21 PMPosted by Zenetta
I think either Divine Hymn or Symbol of Hope should just be converted to an instant cast that puts up a buff with no channeling. If it were divine hymn, maybe making it just a larger healing buff for a longer duration could be an option instead of a tranquility clone. Possibly adding PoM bouncing back to it (but limiting how many it will make bounce per second so it's not OP when combined with the salvation).

Of the two, I'd definitely go for Symbol of Hope as an instant. It may sound weird, but I kind of like channeling Divine Hymn. It adds to the feeling of the spell.
My biggest complaint is that holy doesn't have a lot to bring that makes it feel special. A lot of what we do have that is unique isn't really useful. I love Holy Words but "doing a lot of healing" isn't enough when compared to what the other healers can do.

I really don't understand this change. What purpose is there for holy nova having a completely inconsequential heal? Why does it's damage need to be nerfed so severely? Holy Priest already has a fairly boring dps 'rotation.' Basically losing our aoe dps to give it a minor heal makes it into a niche spell that is very rarely useful-- something holy already has a few of.

04/25/2018 05:04 PMPosted by Zenetta
Just to add, another option would be to make feathers baseline (as has been requested by many people) so we had baseline mobility, and then transform that talent tier into all survival talents. In either case we'd get either survival or mobility baseline and then be able to pick from options for the other.

I definitely agree with this. It's hard to imagine anything really competing with feather and if I actually did want to choose something over feather I would be fairly upset about losing it.

Little to nothing has been done to help Holy Priests with survivability in Mythic+. This will still be a very obvious shortfall of the Holy Priest, and we can already predict that they again will be second-class citizens when it comes to high levels of Mythic+. Ability of Disc Priests to spam shields on entire party will probably break the meta at the high end.

If they aren't going to give us survivability for whatever reason, they need to give us some kind of useful and unique utility in Mythic+ so that we bring something to the table. Right now it feels like there really isn't anything that a holy priest bring exclusively that a group would be excited about.

I personally would love to see something like Mind Soothe come back as an aoe spell on a cooldown that let groups bypass a trash pack every now and then.

Another thing that could work is to give us Holy Ward from our PVP legion talents as a PVE spell. The ability to ignore a CC is an iconic priest ability that would feel great to have back.
04/25/2018 04:29 PMPosted by Celeenia
I fear priests are going to get put in a position where the questions are going to be asked, why Holy instead of Druid/Sham/Monk and honestly as of now, there isn't a reason to consider Holy Priest from a PvE standpoint. As it stands now, I feel like Disc is going to be the preferred healing spec for BFA.

I think we'll fill the same role we do on live, just with a secondary raid CD in HW:Salv. We round out raid comps pretty well and are still dramatically easier to play than Disc.

Disc in beta hasn't changed too much. Plea was dropped for PW:S and they lost LW. The plea change is a wash (or at least it should be), but the loss of LW is something. One fewer burst CD for a healer centered around chaining burst CDs.

I think Holy's in a decent place overall. Mobility remains our largest issue, but that's not really anything new. Likely it's meant to be that way.

That aside, can I gush about HW:Salv for a bit? God, I love it. It's an absurd amount of healing rolled into one spell. Plays well with Benediction and Light of the Naaru. Pretty sure it out-heals Divine Hymn in raids, looks like it might even be the strongest raid CD period.

Gonna do a bit of napkin math to see if I can figure out what its average CD time is:

So we'll start with a 'base' CD of 6 minutes, which is what you'd get from using only Holy Words, casting no spells other spells to reduce their CDs. Every spell you cast that reduces the CD of one of the two HWs effectively reduces the CD of HW:Salv by 4 seconds (chopping 8 seconds off a 60 second CD, which in turn takes 30 seconds off Salv). Assuming we average one CD reduction every 3 seconds, that amounts to an effective CD of about...2.5 minutes?

I might be a bit generous with those assumptions. I ignored efficiency, so there'd be some losses there since we're not always getting the maximum CD reduction. Still, I thought it'd be longer. Even assuming only one CD reduction every 4 seconds (which I don't think is correct), that's still a 3 minute CD on average.
Coming into BfA I wanted three things from Holy. Survivability on par with other healers, enough dungeon viability to not be the only unrepresented healer in the MDI and a solid reason to give a raid leader for why I should play holy over disc. So far that’s a fail on all fronts.

Holy isn’t an unfun spec. It’s got a flow to it that’s kind of groovy, with a fast paced and satisfying playstyle. But it still suffers from its biggest problem. It’s a great raid healer and nothing else. Disc, both restos, Holy to a lesser extent, even MW can do anything Holy can do while still offering something beneficial in a competitive dungeon environment.

So far it looks like this will be another expansion where I don’t really play the second healing spec I picked a priest for in the first place. And that’s kinda sad.
04/25/2018 10:09 PMPosted by Skootalloo
04/25/2018 04:29 PMPosted by Celeenia

I think we'll fill the same role we do on live, just with a secondary raid CD in HW:Salv. We round out raid comps pretty well and are still dramatically easier to play than Disc.

Disc in beta hasn't changed too much. Plea was dropped for PW:S and they lost LW. The plea change is a wash (or at least it should be), but the loss of LW is something. One fewer burst CD for a healer centered around chaining burst CDs.

I think Holy's in a decent place overall. Mobility remains our largest issue, but that's not really anything new. Likely it's meant to be that way.

That aside, can I gush about HW:Salv for a bit? God, I love it. It's an absurd amount of healing rolled into one spell. Plays well with Benediction and Light of the Naaru. Pretty sure it out-heals Divine Hymn in raids, looks like it might even be the strongest raid CD period.

Gonna do a bit of napkin math to see if I can figure out what its average CD time is:

So we'll start with a 'base' CD of 6 minutes, which is what you'd get from using only Holy Words, casting no spells other spells to reduce their CDs. Every spell you cast that reduces the CD of one of the two HWs effectively reduces the CD of HW:Salv by 4 seconds (chopping 8 seconds off a 60 second CD, which in turn takes 30 seconds off Salv). Assuming we average one CD reduction every 3 seconds, that amounts to an effective CD of about...2.5 minutes?

I might be a bit generous with those assumptions. I ignored efficiency, so there'd be some losses there since we're not always getting the maximum CD reduction. Still, I thought it'd be longer. Even assuming only one CD reduction every 4 seconds (which I don't think is correct), that's still a 3 minute CD on average.

Our healing output may be fine, but you just said it, MOBILITY and not having a personal is a HUGE draw back. We kind of got to play around with not having a personal IF we had the legendary cloak for our personal rez. I wish that would become baseline, or a talent so at least when a mythic+ group or a raid group call out "pop a personal" we can do something aside from getting on our knees and praying for something from someone else. lol
Holy priest seems to have been left in the dark ages as a class and it's frustrating. I've been playing it quite a bit and heal/flash heal/renew just seem pointless. My flash heal heals for 10% of a tanks's health at same ilvl. That's just useless. Yes the big heal can full heal a tank but i shouldn't have to spam useless heals to get to the heal that will actually get the job done. Renew is not even on my bars. It only gets applied via PoM. Prayer of healing doesn't seem to do enough healing to counteract any mechanics in Mplus and even less in a raid. Again, it seems like an ability used just to get your PW off cooldown.

I love holy priests but they need something that will make them feel like 2/3rds of their abilities aren't useless.

When a restodruid pops wild growth you can see your party recover. When they spam regrowth you can see people get healed. Shamans have all sorts of aoe healing, protection totems, aoe stuns, speed boosts for party. Priest is just left holding the bag of spells that are useless.
04/26/2018 08:24 AMPosted by Nakua
Holy priest seems to have been left in the dark ages as a class and it's frustrating. I've been playing it quite a bit and heal/flash heal/renew just seem pointless. My flash heal heals for 10% of a tanks's health at same ilvl. That's just useless. Yes the big heal can full heal a tank but i shouldn't have to spam useless heals to get to the heal that will actually get the job done. Renew is not even on my bars. It only gets applied via PoM. Prayer of healing doesn't seem to do enough healing to counteract any mechanics in Mplus and even less in a raid. Again, it seems like an ability used just to get your PW off cooldown.

I love holy priests but they need something that will make them feel like 2/3rds of their abilities aren't useless.

When a restodruid pops wild growth you can see your party recover. When they spam regrowth you can see people get healed. Shamans have all sorts of aoe healing, protection totems, aoe stuns, speed boosts for party. Priest is just left holding the bag of spells that are useless.

I like the play style of holy, and I like the change for when you cast renew it reduces the CD of PWS, but as I stated earlier, our mobility and lack of a personal CD is what our biggest challenge is.

Looking at the talents for tier 45- Instead of giving us the option of forcing our self to die to get angel form and heal for 20 seconds, why not give us the pvp choice of making spirit a cast able spell for 9 seconds. It would give us an immunity, and not make us play around dying. Also who will ever take Guardian Spirit as a talent.... that is useless and should be scrapped- they should give a row of speed burst talents and a row of personal talents.

Body and Soul is also a waste of a talent. Blizz has the options to really play and get in well with holy priests if they do this relatively minor fix. PERSONAL and Mobility, that is all we are asking for!
04/26/2018 05:33 AMPosted by Celeenia
IF we had the legendary cloak for our personal rez. I wish that would become baseline, or a talent so at least when a mythic+ group or a raid group call out "pop a personal" we can do something aside from getting on our knees and praying for something from someone else. lol

Me too. I love X'anshi. It makes our Spirit of Redemption feel really good instead of just a thing that pops when the raid is wiping.
It was said a lot in the alpha threads, so just to add here:

An idea mentioned a lot to bring a bit of mobility back to holy was to restore Prayer of Mending back to instant cast baseline. The spell was instant for years and just feels better to use without a cast time. It would also give us another thing to cast while moving.

They could also take the extra range from the PvP talent and stick it into benediction. The extra bounce range was nice to have, but probably wouldn't be worth a talent or PvP talent slot by itself. The extra range would also have value in PvE when spread.
04/26/2018 08:09 PMPosted by Zenetta
It was said a lot in the alpha threads, so just to add here:

An idea mentioned a lot to bring a bit of mobility back to holy was to restore Prayer of Mending back to instant cast baseline. The spell was instant for years and just feels better to use without a cast time. It would also give us another thing to cast while moving.

They could also take the extra range from the PvP talent and stick it into benediction. The extra bounce range was nice to have, but probably wouldn't be worth a talent or PvP talent slot by itself. The extra range would also have value in PvE when spread.

I love everything about this post.
I made a seperate thread just to discuss bulk but I'll echo my sentiments here. It is unacceptable for them to go forward with what they have right now in terms of a survival kit.

They will be beyond second class citizens, as described by the op. They will not be viable. Without the cloak and double ga the spec will require a battle rez on every encounter.

What did they have in the past that kept them afloat before legion?
04/27/2018 08:13 AMPosted by Metrohaha
I made a seperate thread just to discuss bulk but I'll echo my sentiments here. It is unacceptable for them to go forward with what they have right now in terms of a survival kit.

They will be beyond second class citizens, as described by the op. They will not be viable. Without the cloak and double ga the spec will require a battle rez on every encounter.

What did they have in the past that kept them afloat before legion?

Well, in a lot of raid tiers Disc was the go-to high level content spec because of all the damage they mitigated...

We also didn't have M+ dungeons that scaled to a point where it was as big of an issue.

Although, holy did also use to have PW:S for a long time if you knew you were about to take a hit. We also had a lot of other talents and tools we use to be able to have all at once.

If you look up Wotlk/cata/mop talent calculators we also had various things like:

Spell Warding: A talent that reduces spell damage taken by up to 10% at max rank

Inspiration: a buff granted to any target of our critical healing, reducing physical damage taken.

Blessed Recovery: automatic self healing HoT that triggered if we took a melee or ranged crit

Blessed Resilience: I'm not sure if this came into play more in PvE at first, but it use to proc off any crit and reduce the chance you could be crit again. Then later on it was a big self-healing bonus. In cata this proced off of ANY large damage hit in addition to taking crits.

In cata, Blessed Resilience stacked with Test of Faith which was a talent that increased healing on any target below 50% health.

(Edit: and while we now have focused will, focused will only procs off melee hits and infrequently if ever comes into play in PvE where resilience in Cata proced off any hit taking at least 10% of our health or any non-periodic crit and did come into play in PvE)

Inner Fire: an option to reduce physical damage being taken by increasing our armor. At times this was a toggle between fire and will so we could go more mitigation vs. more speed and cheaper casts.

Lightwell: Other people may have ignored it a lot, but clicking on this yourself was a lot of self-healing that we could take advantage of while doing something else. In cata combined with resilience and test of fath it was huge.

In MoP I think holy also had access to talents like Angelic Bulwark (increases shielding on yourself, buffing self PW:S by 30%) and Final Prayer (automatic proc at low health that procs a shield, 90s CD).

We use to be able to have surge of light all the time, even combined with binding heal. This allowed us to have instant cast flashes available more often if we needed an emergency burst of healing on ourselves.

Those are the things that jump out at me the most when reviewing old priest calculators.