Character Models, and RP.

Wyrmrest Accord
I wonder if people look down upon it, I'm curious on people's view on it.

I've always wanted to try RPing as a male troll using the female model, but not sure if people would dislike that. I just prefer the animations and over all how the armor looks way more than on the Male model. (Plus there's that hunch, until Zandalari come out.)

Do you believe this to be immersion breaking?

Also why do you dislike / don't mind it?
I don't consider it immersion breaking, and it doesn't bother me if people do it. It might initially confuse me to see someone use one gender model but play the other, but ultimately it's their choice! I also don't think you'll find many folks who look down on it- and if they do, it really is their issue and not yours. I don't really mind it because Blizzard doesn't really give us any variety within races for body type/shape, so until they do (and I would looooove if they did), we all just have to make do with what they give us.

But boy howdy I'd be super happy if they let us have buffer, gruffer female models and slimmer, more feminine male models too. But that gets into my miles-long wishlist for customization overhauls and I don't wanna get -too- off-topic...
It doesn't bother me, but I've seen this so frequently (and always with male characters using female models) that it really shows how desperate players are for some prettier, less roided-out male models. Maybe someday there will be a male race with a slender body and delicate facial features, but for now we just have a bevy of giant-chinned bodybuilders.

Nightborne have the slender, somewhat feminine body I guess, but their faces look like elderly and unusually furious raisins and that kinda ruins it.
I think it's fine. I personally have a lot of scrawnier male characters that I just... can't use the male models for, so I get it.
It's fine to do, but be prepared for an army of people who call you a female because they've not glanced at your RP profile.
04/01/2018 03:33 PMPosted by Verlinnea
It's fine to do, but be prepared for an army of people who call you a female because they've not glanced at your RP profile.

Pretty much the one downside I can think of.

Personally it's no different than having a different skin tone, height, missing limb, etc. So knock yo self out.
Gender is a myth anyway, so knock yourself out.

Someday I'd like to see a female character using a gigantic male model, though.
04/01/2018 03:52 PMPosted by Ursuola

I want it to be with a draenei. a big ol strapping lady with nice thick tendrils
04/01/2018 03:52 PMPosted by Ursuola

I def had an idea to make a female half orc half ogre with the upright brown orc models coming up
I had a friend use the male troll model to RP a gangly, brutish female troll. it was cool

most people take issue with the male-using-female-model because there's a bit of a streak of fetishists using it to make "girlyboys" for ERP instead of people who simply want a non-beefcake male shape. if you're not up to that, most people won't care aside from a few misgendering due to not noticing the description, that'll correct themselves if it's pointed out (I really don't know why people don't read most descriptions (that aren't novellas) like, aren't we all word-nerds that enjoy reading and writing? why is that something so common?)
I still hold out hope that someday we'll have a variety of body types to choose from on character creation, and sliders to affect weight and muscle mass and-

Alas. It is but a dream. </3

Though I remain shocked by the lack of female dwarves using male dwarf models to get a bearded lady dwarf. What's up with that?
I would sell Verlinnea's soul for body type selections.
We at least seem to have a good first step with the straight backed orcs coming? Maybe?
04/01/2018 08:08 PMPosted by Karanga
We at least seem to have a good first step with the straight backed orcs coming? Maybe?

and with the big-beef Kul'tiran men and women. my roommate's in the alpha and the thicker human models look great. haven't come across any of those datamined, forsaken-skeleton-rigged scrawny human dudes yet though
If i have a male hes in a male model. Ditto with females.
Just be patient, if we give them enough hell, they'll give us upright trolls.
04/01/2018 01:52 PMPosted by Xin
Do you believe this to be immersion breaking?
Seems fine by me. I generally still prefer people people get close if they can. Like, roleplaying with someone playing Pandaren that says they are a Gnome would be harder to keep up mentall.

But what you posit seems cool.
An IC friend of one of my characters is a female model void elf, but actually a male character. The character is supposed to be very feminine looking, though. Kinda says something that the male VE model was too masculine. xD
I used to do this, had a female night elf that I RPed as male. Those male night elf animations are just... too much to deal with. Pretty much everyone I ran across was cool with it and would use the right pronoun once they saw my profile.
I've got an issue when people want to inject diversity for the sake of having diversity, sometimes forgoing character for gimmick, or as mentioned the whole fetishistic deal, but otherwise?

Nah, not really.
04/05/2018 08:47 PMPosted by Gryffn
I used to do this, had a female night elf that I RPed as male. Those male night elf animations are just... too much to deal with. Pretty much everyone I ran across was cool with it and would use the right pronoun once they saw my profile.

Male NE models are rather horrendous...