WoW isn't accepting of new players

General Discussion
1 2 3 22 Next
I came here to complain because I've been trying to teach my girlfriend to play World of Warcraft. She is brand new to the game and every time we join an instance, I tell them that she is new and she is still trying to figure out how to play. Yet the people just ignore me and vote to kick her with insulting terms such as 'Noob' or 'Moron'. I remember playing back in The Burning Crusade and back then, the community was helpful. People were actually pleasant back then, but now people are just straight up rude.

From the leveling process through instances, it doesn't seem possible for new players. No one is understanding that some people still have to learn because they themselves have done it a thousand times. I fear that with more experiences like this, it will hinder the experience of the game for her.

-Fin-
As much as I feel bad for her, at the end of the day leveling is about efficiency for most people. If she's slowing down the group, it's likely she'll be kicked.

Run with guild or friends, or just avoid instances till she learns her class.
You need a guild or some friends so you don't have to be grouped with random people. This isn't a brand new game where everyone is learning anymore. It's people leveling alts and ARs who have no patience at times. So you need to find ways around dealing with random groups.
04/16/2018 11:25 AMPosted by Deathpry
I came here to complain because I've been trying to teach my girlfriend to play World of Warcraft. She is brand new to the game and every time we join an instance, I tell them that she is new and she is still trying to figure out how to play. Yet the people just ignore me and vote to kick her with insulting terms such as 'Noob' or 'Moron'. I remember playing back in The Burning Crusade and back then, the community was helpful. People were actually pleasant back then, but now people are just straight up rude.

From the leveling process through instances, it doesn't seem possible for new players. No one is understanding that some people still have to learn because they themselves have done it a thousand times. I fear that with more experiences like this, it will hinder the experience of the game for her.

-Fin-

Op do you know what comes after level 1?
Answer...
Level 2.
so i did some digigging, coz thatz what i do when something don't add up.

Your account is not new, it has MoP, witch is really nice, but here is the kicker.
Your posting so you added time, and how is the girlfriend Playin ?
On her "pwn", normally on follow, account ?
On her own account, that she bought?
But you only have up to MoP... Ummm
there are helpful people here and there but yeah there are a lot of toxic people too.. Back in BC you were still basically stuck with your server community, I think only cross-realm battlegrounds had become a thing at that point and even then it was within server groups and _I think_ premade had to be all one server.

SO those things said, you were basically forced to work with people, and the communities were much smaller because they were more or less limited to a single server. If you were an a-hole people would go on the server forums and talk crap about you. You had a reputation in a very real sense.
Honestly, in leveling dungeons just dont tell people she is new.

If she isn't pulling extra stuff or doing something to actively hurt the group, 9 outta 10 times people will just ignore her and go about their way.
Please don't let unhappy people dissuade your enjoyment of the game. I for one, would love to have a new person in the group. There are all kinds of different folks out there.
I have hardly ever seen a word spoken in an instance. Maybe leave out the chit chat about her not knowing whats going on and more than likely itll work out.
Do a better job of helping her.
I came here to complain because I've been trying to teach my girlfriend to play World of Warcraft. She is brand new to the game and every time we join an instance, I tell them that she is new and she is still trying to figure out how to play. Yet the people just ignore me and vote to kick her with insulting terms such as 'Noob' or 'Moron'.

Don't tell people that. People are rabid while leveling right now, they're ticked off about the difficulty change. Just put your head down and play your role to the best of your ability.

If this is happening EVERY TIME, don't keep doing the same thing. Or really, just don't go into instances til you hit Legion. It's pretty chill there on the LFG/LFR level content (in my experience) and people are more willing to be helpful. Plus, she'll know how to play by then.
I think a lot of it is luck of the draw who you get grouped with also. I told the group I was with this weekend in a heroic that I had never healed before (I was on my pally). They were pretty cool and even though I had no idea what I was doing they didn't seem to mind. Just got lucky I guess
The problem is group finder, which didn't exist in Burning Crusade, requiring much more social fabric be in place. LFG brings the LCD to the table. The best bet is to seek out leveling/pve guilds on your server where you can take part in a community interested in playing and being friendly. At worst, if you've made any friends, having one more in your group when you queue means you get to set the ground rules and prevent those kinds of kicks.

I'm really sorry for your experience.
People were more helpful in BC? Not really, there were just so many more new players that it couldn't be helped that you were going to get stuck with some. Also guilds were actively looking to recruit and train new people then as well. That is the difference between a 2 year old growing game and a 14 year old declining game.
04/16/2018 11:31 AMPosted by Rahan
Honestly, in leveling dungeons just dont tell people she is new.

If she isn't pulling extra stuff or doing something to actively hurt the group, 9 outta 10 times people will just ignore her and go about their way.
This actually sounds like the right idea; tell people she's new and they'll be looking for reasons to kick her (people are trolls). But I couldn't count how many times I've seen someone simply not doing well on, say, the damage charts, and they've not been kicked so long as the group still does okay and they're not doing anything hugely deleterious, like pulling mobs and such.

I'd suggest having her set you as a focus so she can always find what target you're attacking, which could both help her figure out what to attack in what order and make sure she's not hitting the wrong things. Teach her how to work the system while she's learning her character, two birds, one stone. ;) And finding a decent guild or some friends would help, they'll always be more forgiving. There's still some decent people out there, and there's some of us that love to see new people (so long as they listen to instructions about things like turning growl off and not just pulling things). But we're probably not as common in this age of regionwide group finder and anyonymous dungeon queues.

-Fin-

Fin,

Find a guild that has people that like to help develop people. There are people that our out there that like to help new people or talent for the up coming expac. And the big this IMO is new player need to put there time in to leveling from 1 to 110 , this is a very big learning curve for new players to WOW.

There are guild out there.
It doesn't get any better at 110 tbh. You've got toxic people in even normal dungeons *blegh*.
04/16/2018 11:32 AMPosted by Nemaides
Please don't let unhappy people dissuade your enjoyment of the game. I for one, would love to have a new person in the group. There are all kinds of different folks out there.

Couldnt have said it better myself.

I personally just came back to the WoW community this year from not playing for 10 years and loosing my main account so I was forced to start over.
I personally didnt have a bad experience as a low lv player but I mainly stuck to Lvling and Questing and Completing Zones till I got to lv 25 then I started doing Dungeons with friends and guild members.

If Dungeons seem to be a problem, focus on lvling, quests, and learning your class to be able to be efficient in Dungeons. Plus isnt exploring a wonderful thing? :P
Your post is anecdotal, OP. It's hard to put a single solution on a problem subject to the immediate people in that situation. Many of the posts here are mostly correct though. Generally simply keeping quiet and doing your best is enough. I very rarely see anyone talk in level-up dungeons. It's extremely common to have 2-3 people who have no idea how to even do the dungeon. The average group I am in just goes with the flow; very rarely have I seen anyone kicked outside of them being rude/mean.

Also, if you are at all familiar, perhaps you should sit down and talk to her through the theory of how to group play in an MMO. It's extremely systematic and a good explanation might go a long way.
I had a new player way back in RFC, a worgen warlock IIRC - you'll find if you communicate it early on most people will take it with a grain of salt - we all need to start somewhere; I know when I get new players and they speak up if anyone griefs em - I'll step in and tell em to stow it.
Nobody forced you to group with the other 4 players back then. If you miss the old day then do it on the old way and get the other 3 players willing to help you, instead of forcing your problem to random people.

Another thing to notice is that the community of this game has never been a pleasant one. People avoided instanced content for fear to be branded as noobs, and you didn't have CRZ and group finder to save you.