[Feedback] Shadow Priest Rotation and Talents

Battle for Azeroth Items and Classes
1 2 3 39 Next
...Yo!

[Developer Note: Further down in this thread there is another more concise post. This first one is very extensive but also written for the community and myself as much as any developers, I've been more concise and pointed in the one further down.]

As some of you may know. I am Ellipsis - Ice Bear, HowToPriest theorycrafter, moderator, crumpet eater, and general EU forum busybody.

Since with the most recent Alpha (Apparently this is Beta now?!), Blizz has restructured and (hopefully) archived all the previous forum posts. It feels sensible to repost my own thoughts, highlight some areas of discussion that have come up over the past few weeks discussing shadow priest in BFA. Since I'm getting in here early this time I'd like to establish a few post ground rules, because hopefully this thread can also serve to be the "Feedback Megathread" for the shadow spec and community. There's a lot of prominent community members on the US I've wanted to discuss topics with for a while, hopefully with this thread that can happen.

1: Keep feedback constructive.
2: Focus on fun, not numbers.
3: Don't just redesign the spec yourself. Think of concepts that solve problems, and things it'd be cool to have, try to avoid attempting a detailed rework / spell design.
4: People will disagree, but please keep it civil.
5: Wish lists aren't feedback. If you can tie why you think something is a good idea into what specific problems you're having and how it solves them then do so. But simply saying "My feedback is I want x" isn't helping.

(Now give me an hour or so to actually write this thing)

Ice Bear's shadow thesis statements:
The general direction of reducing the impact of Voidform, and Voidform stacks is a good one. However, the rotational strength and complexity that shadow arguably had in legion, largely came from the pace and strength of the Voidform mechanic. Something must, at least in some part, replace this for shadow to remain a fun and engaging spec going forward.

Shadow's only form of burst aoe damage is also still heavily gated by voidform with void eruption, despite the form itself being nearly irrelevant damage wise but also half of our intended rotation. It's not fun to have something as core as burst / burst aoe tied to timing and delaying a spell which, unlike other examples where this does occur, is tied to our core rotation and is arguably one of our most important rotational spells.

Pacing:
I'll split this into two sections, in this section I'll discuss shadow's pacing whilst levelling. Later on I will discuss the pacing in endgame content.

Whilst levelling, shadow's pacing is noticeably lower than it is on Live servers, to a jarring degree. This is largely due to the vastly reduced effectiveness of Voidform and abysmal levels of base haste we're capable of scrambling together in levelling gear. It's no secret nor surprise that haste makes casting specs feel more fun to play, it increases the fluidity of a lot rotations and provides more for the player to 'do' when playing. Other specs are of course also affected by this massive reduction in stats going into BFA, the issue with this for shadow is that the rotation was designed in Legion around having large amounts of potential haste which is simply no longer there in BFA. Shadow has a simple rotation with no interactions or 'procs' (Not saying procs are the best way to solve this), it barely even has a baseline cooldown. This was fine in Legion because of the pace Voidform brought. Without any haste, shadow feels like an understatted oldschool fire mage. Slow, monotonous, without interaction, and not much fun.

It's not 'all' doom and gloom for levelling though. Void eruptions redesign feels good when it hits large numbers of targets, it also feels good to have fairly hard hitting mind blast regardless of being in void form or not. Eruption's change to not require dots was definitely a step in the right direction, but as it plays such a massive role in how we play in BFA, I'm often finding it either becomes available too late, or I'm sitting on my thumbs waiting for a good time to use it. Again, this would be fine for a none rotational ability, but void eruption is a rotational ability. Being put in a position where you don't want to erupt and waste the damage slows the spec down even more.

Continued later in the thread (I didn't reserve space because I am a dummy).
Why is a holy priest hosting shadow feedback?
04/24/2018 01:43 PMPosted by Exterminatus
Why is a holy priest hosting shadow feedback?

Because I can't put the number 2 in my name, sadly. Apparently it breaks immersion or something. :P
Who left the window open to let this British boy in!?! *placeholder while I'm not home to post stuff*
Continuing on from earlier...

In endgame content, where we 'should' have better stats and targets have much higher health, the issues of not being able to erupt a target until it's almost dead should overall be lessened. However, and especially on raid encounters, shadow priests will be holding their void eruptions for add spawns and other such aspects of fights. This is not fun. Not being able to enter voidform, which is the thing the shadow priest is currently designed around, and not being able to press the 4th button in what is often a 3-4 (+2 dots) rotation ruins the pacing of the shadow rotation. It just feels like waiting.

The much reduced overall cast speed, and increased GCD, also serve to hurt the enjoyment of shadow. The complexity of the Voidform mechanic, and what it adds to the spec, is not longer enough to justify the simplicity of the base rotation. Even with optimised raid gear (The best I could get when raid testing was 20%, but I would really hope we were undergeared for that test and more reasonable would be 25%) too much of the thing that made Voidform and ultimately shadow fun in Legion is lost.

Voidform:
Ok let's talk about the elephant in the room. The huge, tentacle covered, eldritch monstrosity that hovers ominously on the edge of every single shadow discussion. Possibly unpopular opinion incoming:

I think there is an iteration of Voidform (with drain) that can work. But for that to be the case, we have to be clear that though Insanity is a hugely complex resource that's fun to theorycraft, messes with stat weights and scaling, is probably a nightmare to code and make work, and also a nightmare to model for us mere mortals who do not have access to Blizzard standard simulations, it has almost zero impact on how the player acts or reacts in a given situation, Voidform simply is. Void bolt is always your highest priority, followed by blast, followed by dot uptime, followed by flay. There is zero reason why your insanity or Voidform stacks will ever change that. Voidform does not introduce choices, which can be messed up and ultimately raises the skill required to play the spec, you simply press the same few buttons in the same order whether you're in voidform or not.

In Legion this was fine, largely because it was fast, but also because stacks mattered and you had a finnicky cooldown rotation created by pushing shadow theorycrafting past what anyone had envisioned for the spec. But in BFA you have neither of those things, adding more to the shadow rotation in Legion wasn't needed and wasn't justifiable, but in BFA it is no longer unjustifiable, and it's very much needed. If shadow had choice and control over when and where it put the brunt of its damage / aoe, then the BFA iteration of voidform with drain could work as a pacing mechanic that did not tie as directly into damage. Whilst void eruption remains the primary burst ST and Aoe ability, and the means for entering Voidform, this cannot happen.

By this point you might be thinking I've just spent 1000 words rewording the same thing, and you wouldn't be entirely wrong. Rotation, Pacing, Burst, Aoe, they're all tied together in this one big problem that needs to be solved, and part of the reason for that is they're all a product of the Voidform mechanic.

On to some more direct feedback

Ellipsis...
Talents:
Shadow's talents have received what was initially a minor overhaul, but I'm tempted to say it's rather substantial moving into the beta. Blizzard stance on not placing talents of similar purposes in direct competition with each other makes the rows seem heavily disjointed, but the upside of this is that you no longer choose the mathematically best talent and stick with it in all situations. This is something that has plagued shadow throughout Legion and prevented it from using some interesting options.

• 15:
  • This talent row appears designed to introduce new players to the spec. It does this very well by augmenting Mind Blast in some way. Zero complaints about this row, and especially glad to see the Mangaza's Madness legendary effect added here.

• 30:
  • This row is about movement / survivability. Before even looking at the talents, the fact they are not all movement talents is disheartening. Shadow lacks any form of baseline movement increase or movement ability, and being forced to give up something every other spec would consider almost unquestionably baseline in order to provide better group utility stings a lot. As far as the talents themselves go, Mania does not interact well with the BFA insanity drain model. You're very rarely at a high amount of insanity, as it's very difficult to keep it maxed out even at low stacks, and when you are in most dire need of an off GCD movement speed increase (High stacks) you don't have enough insanity to use it. Body and Soul is fine but again, with our shield hopefully seeing a significant power boost, tying movement and survivability together forces shadow priests to make choices or sacrifices other specs simply do not ever have to make.

• 45:
  • Focusing on dots and target management, this row works well. Dark Void's most recent iteration is great for providing aoe application of pain, and does not compete to directly with Misery, which would be more useful for packs of 3-4 longer lasting enemies. Twist of Fate serves as a pseudo single target option in this row, bringing execute, but also some emphasis on increasing single target through adds.

• 60:
  • The CC row, granting some varied but in some cases lacklustre options. Mind bomb keeping its relatively short cooldown is good to see, especially with the move towards weakening all forms of mass CC and the fear over stun does certainly weaken it, but not enough that it becomes useless. A single target stun is also useful when levelling and a cool semi re-addition to shadow's kit. Last word, however useful as an interrupt option for raiding and in some cases mythic+, is weak as we're using up a talent slot to gain what is ultimately a 30 second cooldown interrupt with a minor benefit. Something to make shadow more useful on CC immune targets is good, but something worse than even the longest CD baseline interrupts isn't really desirable.

• 75:
  • This row looks like a "What type of fight is it" row, and serves that purpose with some issues.
    Auspicious spirits is a boring passive. With voidform being so much weaker, insanity generation is even more intangible and irrelevant to the player than on Live. This also isn't adding anything visually or enabling any form of choice. The spirits already spawn from pain crits. A passive in every row isn't a bad idea for those who want a simpler rotation, but auspicious spirits in BFA really adds nothing to the spec.

Shadow Word: Death, if Voidform was the elephant, then this is some sort of ethereal Ferret scurrying amongst our feet. Shadow Word: Death is now a talent, and though I'm very much displeased at this decision, it's not the main thing I want to bring up. Shadow currently has two execute talents in two separate rows, which both serve as the "Ok I guess this is single target" talent for that row. You will pick them both together almost without question, therefor it seems to make sense to consolidate them and fill the leftover space with a none execute single target focused ability.

Shadow Crash: Great to see it stay, slightly sad it's not baseline but I can see reasons for that not being the case.
    Talents continued:

• 90:
  • This row deals with pacing in some way, though Lingering insanity does not currently provide enough of a haste boost to justify taking, or even feel in any situation at all. The talent appears designed for Legion Shadow and, like AS, is completely unnoticeable.

Mindbender is with us once more, though with the change to voidform and greatly reduced value of insanity, hopefully the damage of the ability can be of greater value compared to the insanity generates.

???: PI is gone, replaced with 'something'. It's likely this yet to be added talent will be some kind of throughput cooldown. Hopefully this ability does not continue the mistake of its predecessor in BFA and increase our insanity generation directly. Shadow needs output in the form of stats or damage, not insanity which is an ultimately backloaded mechanic and contradictory to the bursty nature of output cooldowns.

• 100:
  • A row focused on voidform uptime.

Legacy of the Void: Simple, appreciated, deceptively strong and something many honestly feel should be baseline by this point. I haven't put enough thought into that point myself to comment, though I'm glad to see it still in some iteration.

Void Torrent: I guess this is trying to be a sort of "Burst" ability? For when a priority target or high damage phase happens. Void Torrent struggles to accomplish this for two reasons. Firstly it's gated behind Voidform and Suffers the same issue as Void Eruption as far as the chances of simply being unable to press it or use it effectively because you don't want to delay Voidform (I promise that's the last time I'll mention Void Eruption), and secondly because it extends voidform and pauses insanity drain. Pausing drain and extending voidform are backloading damage. A third bonus point. Void Torrent isn't a fun ability to press, you stand still for 4 seconds (And it feels awful to have this spell interrupted by RNG mechanics on live, let alone if it actually did damage), do nothing, and the visuals aren't that impressive.

Surrender to madness: There was a rant here that has since been deleted. Using your major defensive to make an offensive cd workable is not fun, nor does it feel good to have to do for you or your raid team wondering why you died. Also being unable to generate insanity after it ends, instead of being unable to enter Voidform, means mania is pretty much useless with this talent.
    I don't have a problem with Voidform... when and where it works (long-lived boss encounters, mostly). I just want a talent choice that lets me skip Voidform if I want for certain types of content (like PvP, world questing, and leveling).

Voidform works great on a target dummy, but it doesn't work all that well in most of the rest of the game. Please give me an option in my Shadow Priest talents that lets me skip Voidform altogether, because the design behind it is intrinsically flawed. The only way to fix it would be to change Voidform into something else altogether - and I think that's a redesign that can wait for the expansion pack after Battle for Azeroth.

In the meantime, please give me something like this to use on my Shadow Priest (replace something on the Level 100 talent row with this for best results):

Master of Insanity (or Master of the Void or "Put whatever name you want for it here")
    Replaces Void Bolt (Passive)
    Passive
    Your insane knowledge of the void enables you to cast Void Bolt without entering Voidform. Void Eruption now requires and consumes 60 Insanity, no longer activates Voidform, and deals 30% less damage. Void Bolt now requires and consumes 28 Insanity, but no longer has a cooldown, deals 20% more damage, and permanently replaces Voidform.

All percentages and costs above subject to change pending necessary balance tuning. It should not deal as much sustained damage per second as the Voidform Shadow Priest, but it will give the Shadow Priest more control over their resources and burst damage - making it better for certain types of content in spite of the lower overall DPS. For more details on this talent suggestion, please see this thread where it is explored in great detail (also contains suggestions for making it work with Lingering Insanity): https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20762117746?page=1
    Well I'll repost my thoughts just to avoid it being lost into the wind:

For Mythic+ and open world:

It seems so simple to me to just add a talent AOE Nuke Spell that doesn't require void form in row with a 'raid go to talent' like bender or shadow word death.

For Raiding:

I'm not sure if some base cast speed can be built into shadow to make it play similar to how it does with mythic gear now (which is wildly fun), and have the tuning of numbers balanced around it upfront.

If Shadow has an effective starting cast speed/haste at X, then more haste from higher void forms will have diminishing returns; but still have a small gain/incentive which is less punishing. (This should preserve the 'fun factor')

The push to retain voidform should stay intact along with the cast speed/APM interactions, but what needs to change is the damage curve should not give us our relevant dps for high void forms but rather a small gain/reward. This way, it's not the end of the world if we have to deal with a raid mechanic.

To a post made in an earlier thread: the cast speed/APM should be such that a 200 ms player can play it, but lets not have it be over done in the slowness category or the class fantasy will not be believable.
    04/24/2018 04:47 PMPosted by Nyellè
    Well I'll repost my thoughts just to avoid it being lost into the wind:

I'm actually in the middle of attempting to compile any points raised over the past few days in the now archived feedback threads to add to this one in some more bite sized form. So thanks for making my job easier :P

I'm not sure if some base cast speed can be built into shadow to make it play similar to how it does with mythic gear now (which is wildly fun), and have the tuning of numbers balanced around it upfront.

I'm a firm believer it can't. I also don't think "Reduce base cast speed" is the way to go, as that interferes unnecessarily with the GCD. Shadow does need some kind of pacing increase though, especially to differentiate voidform from shadow form without massively increasing damage.

To a post made in an earlier thread: the cast speed/APM should be such that a 200 ms player can play it, but lets not have it be over done in the slowness category or the class fantasy will not be believable.

That's something I hadn't given much thought to. We are supposed to be insane void casters getting gradually consumed by our power. I don't feel that in BFA, the fantasy just isn't there outside of a few tentacle visuals.

04/24/2018 04:17 PMPosted by Neptune
    but it will give the Shadow Priest more control over their resources and burst damage

I'm not sure personally that's the right way to go about it, and that what you've proposed is essentially a rework. But your point about control certainly resonates, I'm not that fussed that I can't control Voidform very well because it's been massively reduced in power compared to Shadowform. What I am fussed about is that large amounts of our potential damage are tied to Void Eruption, and Void Torrent, and therefor tied to Voidform.
    To All Those Who are Reading this thread, what stage of Grief are you in?

Denial – The first reaction is denial. In this stage, individuals believe the diagnosis is somehow mistaken, and cling to a false, preferable reality.

Anger – When the individual recognizes that denial cannot continue, they become frustrated, especially at proximate individuals. "Why me? It's not fair!"; "How can this happen to me?"; "Who is to blame?"; "Why would this happen?".

Bargaining – The third stage involves the hope that the individual can avoid a cause of grief. For instance: "I'd give anything to have him back." Or: "If only he'd come back to life, I'd promise to be a better person!"

Depression – "I'm so sad, why bother with anything?"

Acceptance – "It's going to be okay."; "I can't fight it; I may as well prepare for it."

If you are posting like me you are in the Bargaining phase (I've been back and forth between the last three)

I've compared the playstyle of shadow with a drug like affect, and per a thread I made a month ago....I'm addicted to shadow's playstyle like a drug..addicted to insanity. I've learned that the stages of grief above make perfect sense...what I don't get is why blizzard addicted me to it and going to take it away? Still pondering on that one...

Current State: Shadow BFA is looking to be very sobering and a big hangover if nothing changes.
    04/24/2018 04:57 PMPosted by Hpellipsis
    I'm not sure personally that's the right way to go about it, and that what you've proposed is essentially a rework. But your point about control certainly resonates, I'm not that fussed that I can't control Voidform very well because it's been massively reduced in power compared to Shadowform. What I am fussed about is that large amounts of our potential damage are tied to Void Eruption, and Void Torrent, and therefor tied to Voidform.
    Well, the problem is Voidform. Remove Voidform, and you solve the problem.

My suggestion just aims to remove Voidform in the simplest way possible - using a single optional talent to do so. That bold word, optional, is important - because it means that if you like Voidform, you're welcome to keep it and everything else in your kit will still work with it. After all, It is the baseline playstyle of the Shadow Priest.

Anything you do that keeps Voidform will retain the problem (unless you completely redesign Voidform - but I think that option is out of the question, because that would be a whole lot of work, and there are 35 other specs that need some polish too). If you retain the problem, then all your theory crafting has gone to waste. It's like an exercise in exercises. It might be fun, but after you're done changing things around, the elephant is still there, sitting in the room and beating you on the head with its massive trunk.
    Quick addendum / addition / Pointed Feedback:
    I realise this feedback is very 'off the cuff' and not amazingly well pointed. That's partly how I write, and partly the fact I'm just reeling this off into the forum editor without structuring it :P

With that in mind, I'd like to dedicate one post in this thread to my own specific feedback on specific things. Mostly this is me summarising the bolded parts of the other posts, but I'll be adding to THIS SPECIFIC POST whenever there's anything I feel strongly about and doesn't just go into the umbrella pacing / void eruption debate. So without further ado...

Auspicious spirits effect has little to no baring on gameplay. Insanity generation is no longer relevant, the talent is just a flat damage increase to a very minor ability.

Lingering insanity is far too weak in its current iteration. The amount of voidform stacks we get mean lingering insanity is at best 10% haste decreasing by 1% every second, and more realistically nearer 6-7%. The effect isn't currently comparable to mindbender, and it's barely noticeable when questing or even bashing on a dummy with an optimised single target rotation.

Without Shadow Word: Void, Void Bolt and Mind Blast still routinely come off cooldown at the same time. I believe the technical term is 'Munching' but it doesn't feel good to waste time not pressing a cooldown spell because another one is available. It's the same as mind blast's cooldown being 1 gcd longer than what it's written and balanced around.

Voidform doesn't add enough pace to distinguish it from Shadowform. When questing you feel very little difference being in Voidform (Aside from you take 10% more damage...).

Voidform still increases your damage taken by 10%. This was arguably ok when Voidform could be treated as sort of a damage CD, but now it provides 0 damage increase the "Glass Cannon" fantasy doesn't fit.

More on glass cannon. Dispersion: In legion dispersion was reduced to a 60% damage reduction, with self silence and an artifact trait to provide 50% of your HP back over the duration. This effect gave dispersion uses when soloing or questing, as whilst sitting in dispersion you're unable to protect yourself in any way except attempting to run. As it stands on Beta, dispersion feels like your absolute last resort when you will almost certainly die through it anyway. Right now it's a defensive cooldown that almost never saves you, and doesn't feel good to press because of that.

San'Layn: A talent we learn at level 30, which only affects one spell, a spell we do not learn until level 70. This talent does nothing for 40 levels and this makes no sense.

Void Eruption's strength / anchored position in the rotation leads to players to want to stop casting in order to get more eruptions: It's been mentioned a few times, but with Void Eruption locked in as the means of entering voidform and also our primary source of aoe damage, timing / maximising eruptions can very easily be a dps increase over maximising voidform uptime, even if it involves not casting any spells at all in order to drop out.
    04/24/2018 05:28 PMPosted by Nyellè
    Acceptance – "It's going to be okay."; "I can't fight it; I may as well prepare for it."
    I hit acceptance during Legion when I realized that both my Druid and my Warlock were superior to my Shadow Priest in just about every single way.

Once I got invited to Alpha, I decided I would use the opportunity to voice my concerns for Shadow Priest (which has been my main class & spec since MoP). There isn't much time left before they have to wrap this up, and we haven't even seen many Azerite traits yet.

This doesn't leave much hope that they can fix the issues facing the Shadow Priest before the 8.0 pre-patch hits the live servers. But I'm still hoping that the feedback we give now can play a role and help them to solve the Shadow Priest by 8.0.5 or 8.1 or something. But I'm not getting my hopes up too high, because in spite of all the feedback the devs read about Shadow Priests, internally they might think Shadow Priests are fine.
    04/24/2018 06:46 PMPosted by Hpellipsis
    Voidform doesn't add enough pace to distinguish it from Shadowform. When questing you feel very little difference being in Voidform (Aside from you take 10% more damage...).

Voidform increases your damage taken by 10%. This was arguably ok when Voidform could be treated as sort of a damage CD, but now it provides 0 damage increase the "Glass Cannon" fantasy doesn't fit.
    This is really bad. It's also confusing when you're reading the tooltips. You'd think from reading them that you gain 10% spell damage on top of Shadowform - but you don't. That's quite strange considering that if you aren't in Shadowform when you cast Void Eruption, it actually activates Shadowform before putting you into Voidform.

So you're basically trading physical damage reduction for a slow-stacking haste buff and a slightly reduced cooldown on Mind Blast now - and access to Void Bolt for a little bit. It's definitely a worthwhile trade in group content, where you aren't tanking anything - but it's not a good trade-off in PvP or when doing solo content.

It'd be nice IMO if Voidform just stacked on top of Shadowform, such that you didn't lose any of the Shadowform benefits when you enter Voidform.
    Yeah, the shadowform/voidform buffs are not intuitive at all. If they stacked, it would feel a lot less messy.
    04/24/2018 06:46 PMPosted by Hpellipsis
    Voidform increases your damage taken by 10%. This was arguably ok when Voidform could be treated as sort of a damage CD, but now it provides 0 damage increase the "Glass Cannon" fantasy doesn't fit.

I wouldn't say it provides no damage increase. Void Bolt and the reduced MB/SW:V CD are both pretty significant on their own.

Not that I disagree. The loss of DR is weird and our defenses are anemic even with it.
    04/24/2018 09:15 PMPosted by Skootalloo
    I wouldn't say it provides no damage increase. Void Bolt and the reduced MB/SW:V CD are both pretty significant on their own.

I was referring more to the flat benefit of being in Voidform compared to live, and you are correct those things have some impact. Honestly though, it's not anywhere near as much as you'd expect from an ability as "poster child" as Voidform. Some people at H2P did some sim experimentation and found an impressively negligible dps increase in staying in voidform as long as possible compared to leaving as fast as you could. (By hardcoding insanity generation in voidform to 0)
    04/24/2018 09:15 PMPosted by Skootalloo
    The cooldown reduction on MB/SW:V is close to worthless.

It effectively gives you 10% more Mind Blast casts. So in the best case that's a 10% increase in DPS provided by Mind Blast minus the DPS provided by Mind Flay in those GCDs. That hardly amounts to anything.

Looking at Voidforms total dps increase: It is about 20% over not using it at all. That's split about 2/3 into Voidbolt damage, while the remaining 1/3 is split between VER, Haste and MB-CD. VER being the biggest contributor.

There is only one single-mechanic that benefits from even trying to extend Voidform: the 0.5% haste bonus per stack

- VER wants minimal duration and minimal time outside.
    - VB wants maximal uptime, ideally by entering as often as possible (your first cast in VF is always a VB - extending does not guarantee more VB casts)
    - MB-CD wants maximal uptime.

There is no reason why extending a single Voidform is ever going to be worth it. Gameplay wise, esp. with SW:V, you're probably holding off MB/SW:V to leave with 1/2 charges ready, instead of wasting them on VF.

The VF tooltip also could effectively be reduced to "increases damage done by 10%, and you can cast VB" - dps and gameplay impact of the haste and MB CD is just that negligible.

Without Shadow Word: Void, Void Bolt and Mind Blast still routinely come off cooldown at the same time. I believe the technical term is 'Munching' but it doesn't feel good to waste time not pressing a cooldown spell because another one is available. It's the same as mind blast's cooldown being 1 gcd longer than what it's written and balanced around.

What if they removed void bolt from the gcd completely, gave it a slightly longer CD and added a proc to mind last dmg to reset the cool down? That way you have incentive to stay in voidform. They could also entertain the idea of SW:V being a baseline mechanic of voidform to differentiate between rotations. They might need to buff void bolt damage to make this matter though.

Could they also look into baking something into voidform that would reduce the remaining cool down on mindbender?

EDIT: Had another thought, we all miss tenta-bro, what if this was an activated ability to spawn the tenabros with a charge system only usable outside of void form? Gain one charge per 10 stacks or something and allow the priest to pocket these for faster ramp on demand. This could help with the problem of void form being meaningless and shadowform being unexciting.