Protection Paladin Feedback

Battle for Azeroth Items and Classes
Prev 1 6 7 8 10 Next
'it's going to take a patch' ----- see ya in 9.0 folks. =_=
06/14/2018 01:11 PMPosted by Reese
'it's going to take a patch' ----- see ya in 9.0 folks. =_=

Glad Blizzard flat out ignores our concerns.

Just because not as many players play a Protection Paladin to make complaints doesn't mean there aren't major problems with their current changes.
I like how most all of the talents in BfA are either extremely weak or completely useless for prot paladin. Good job making interesting talents. Also, what will be done about making classes feel decent again after being completely nerfed without our artifact weapons? BfA content looks good but classes look like garbage.
I'm still hopeful for the changes to block, which haven't been implemented yet. They also still have plenty of time to adjust our class before launch. If all they did was was take HoTP off the global I'd probably be happy.

I do feel like the class is super slow, but I've now played far enough in the beta to start seeing interesting azerite traits. We're nowhere near where I want to be, but throwing us the HoTP bone would go a long way to getting me there.
I have 11% haste on beta now, at iLVL 306, and the rotation feels SLOW. Very SLOW. I had a trinket that would proc and get me up to 15% haste, and even then that felt slow.

Like the previous person said, there are talents that make no sense for Protection. We share Judgement of Light with Holy Paladins, make an adjustment to it. Make it reduce damage taken by the mob with judgement procced on it by x% or something. Make it different.

The HoTP being on the global is still the number one issue for me. It was intended as a reactionary mitigation, and its no longer that. Either make it more powerful, add the HoT effect from our Artifact or take it off the GCD....
Retribution aura is still there as well. At this rate prot's going to have that dead talent for 2 expansions straight.
I have been in every alpha/beta since Vanilla, and what concerns me the most is the lack of communication this go round. I dont think we have gotten a single direct answer as to why LoTP/HoTP was put on the GCD other than the canned "we moved a lot of spells to the GCD".

Ok thats all well and good, but Blizzard, explain why you replaced Word of Glory with Light of the Protector, called it a reactionary mitigation, and as it was designed to be such, you left it off the GCD. Now, you keep the spell functionality the same, but put it back on the GCD. This has already caused one death in a Heroic Dungeon last night, as I was spamming my LoTP button on a boss, after having no Cool Downs left, and I was killed because I took a hit and couldnt restore some of the damage with LoTP in a "reactionary manner" as the heal was intended to be. So can we get an answer as to why you refuse to add this spell back to the GCD, and if you intend on leaving it on the GCD, then it needs to be changed to heal more than what it does, or adds some kind of HoT like the Artifact gave us, so that even for a bit AFTER we push it, we are still mitigating a little bit of damage.

As for Retribution Aura. This talent is a waste. It is effectively a one talent row. Replace Retribution Aura with Devotion Aura, 3 Minute CD, "The Paladin prays to the light to protect himself and his allies, decreasing damage taken by 20% for 6 or 8 seconds" 40 yard Range. It keeps with the class fantasy, it brings back an old classic Paladin spell with a new twist, and gives us a viable 3rd choice for that row. As it stands, with no way to mitigate spell damage anymore (other than Holy Shield), that row's only choice at the moment is Blessing of Spell Warding. To add a viable 3rd choice (in my opinion anyways), Roll the effects of Knights Templar from the level 75 Row into the Cavalier talent on the Level 60 row. That will make that row all about damage reduction, giving you a choice to protect yourself against all spell damage, protect yourself in short bursts from all damage, or to protect your entire raid from damage.

For the level 75 spot that Cavalier took up, replace it with something that will Augment Light of the Protector (not HoTP obviously as its on the same row). Something like "Light of the Divine" - "Your devout faith to the light has enhanced your Light of the Protector spell, causing it to heal 10% more over base heal, and provide a heal over time for 10 seconds after being cast". This would give you a choice on that row to either be able to heal others, enhance the healing on yourself, or to AOE taunt and prevent damage for a brief period of time. It would also make the sting of LoTP being on the Global CD a bit less harsh.

Just some ideas...
06/22/2018 05:42 AMPosted by Axyorix
I have been in every alpha/beta since Vanilla, and what concerns me the most is the lack of communication this go round. I dont think we have gotten a single direct answer as to why LoTP/HoTP was put on the GCD other than the canned "we moved a lot of spells to the GCD".

Ok thats all well and good, but Blizzard, explain why you replaced Word of Glory with Light of the Protector, called it a reactionary mitigation, and as it was designed to be such, you left it off the GCD. Now, you keep the spell functionality the same, but put it back on the GCD. This has already caused one death in a Heroic Dungeon last night, as I was spamming my LoTP button on a boss, after having no Cool Downs left, and I was killed because I took a hit and couldnt restore some of the damage with LoTP in a "reactionary manner" as the heal was intended to be. So can we get an answer as to why you refuse to add this spell back to the GCD, and if you intend on leaving it on the GCD, then it needs to be changed to heal more than what it does, or adds some kind of HoT like the Artifact gave us, so that even for a bit AFTER we push it, we are still mitigating a little bit of damage.

Couldn't have said it better myself Axy.
Wow need to correct myself. Havent messed with talents at all in awhile. I see that Ret Aura is gone now. Always a good thing.

I still think LoTP needs to be changed or just off GCD though lol.
Ret aura is gone? Just logged onto beta to check, it's still there.
Wow I need more caffeine it seems. I meant Aegis of Light. Sorry...
Aegis of Light is still here.....

The problem with HOTP isn't that its on the GCD. Its that its based on your hp at the very moment of the cast. Because your health is dynamic, it can be hard to play around. The ability just isn't flexible enough.
Damn, it was Knight Templar that Unbreakable Spirit replace. Sorry guys, I am out of it today it seems. Dont know why I thought it replaced Aegis of Light.
Agreed Reese, that was one reason why it was off the GCD, was because of the nature of the heal, doing more healing based on missing health, your health can change greatly in that GCD time. At this point, I dont see it getting changed. I am 327 iLVL on beta now, and I can say that I am not enjoying Avengers augmenting SoTR... it just seems odd. Because AS is not up as much as Judgement is, so you are augmenting it much less often. Half the damn time I am stuck in Muscle memory I hit SoTR and then AS just because its what I have been used to for years.

Azerite Armor effects have made things a tad bit better, but I still feel like my character got weaker, despite the fact I am now a more seasoned adventurer (gained 10 levels). One other thing I dont like, is the fact that we have not really gotten any new spells at all in 2 expansions. One of the things I always looked forward to each expansion, was some new shiny to use. Despite the fact my character has gained more experience and should be stronger with new abilities (in the fantasy form of thinking), I feel like things have actually gotten worse. I will still play a Prot Pally, and raiding and what not still will be fun, but I dont feel like my character has progressed much at all.
I though they were over hauling block? Have they done that or they change their mind?
With the most recent builds being tuning/balancing changes to classes, and the fact that 8.0 is on the background downloader, I wouldnt expect any sweeping changes at all until 8.1.

I can say, that after reaching about 12% haste at 120, the gameplay feels better, I feel like I can once again offer some sustainability when the crap hits the fan, so the healer can focus on the other members of the group as I alternate cooldowns etc... Rotation feels a bit better (I still hate AS augmenting SoTR though) as well.
06/27/2018 07:45 PMPosted by Fablè
I though they were over hauling block? Have they done that or they change their mind?

The math for Block DR is different. Its similar to armor in how it scales based on your shield. Functionally, its the same as live.
06/25/2018 01:25 PMPosted by Axyorix
I can say that I am not enjoying Avengers augmenting SoTR... it just seems odd.

It is odd to begin with. But the fact that it doesn't continue the "bonus" buff if you use SoTR again, is a bit frustrating on top of that.
06/28/2018 11:14 AMPosted by Âeons
06/25/2018 01:25 PMPosted by Axyorix
I can say that I am not enjoying Avengers augmenting SoTR... it just seems odd.

It is odd to begin with. But the fact that it doesn't continue the "bonus" buff if you use SoTR again, is a bit frustrating on top of that.

If you overlap a buffed Shield of the Righteous with an unbuffed one, or vice versa, it should average together the two armor values based on the duration remaining, rather than simply overwriting one with the other. This is similar to how Shield of the Righteous behaved in the past with e.g. temporary mastery buffs.
Im not entirely sure i understand why Retribution aura is still a talent really seems so underwhelming and offers no unique or fun gameplay to protection paladin is there any chance we will see this changed in the upcoming expansion before it hits or is it here to stay how it is right now? just seems very out of place and underwhelming.

Sorry I play on Eu cant post on here with my normal account