BFA Alpha Megathread 3: The ReMegathreading

Wyrmrest Accord
Prev 1 22 23 24 26 Next
For whatever reason they seem to feel really strongly that High Elves are just too similar to Blood Elves to be justifiable. I don't really *understand* this feeling, as their visual similarity is entirely dependent on how the devs design them. With a slightly more athletic model and militaristic set of animations to reflect their tendency toward ranger asceticism rather than arcane decadence, a new set of hairstyles, maybe some Alleria-style tattoos...they'd look just as distinct from Blood Elves as Nightborne do to Night Elves.

But they really don't wanna take that route, and they're unusually firm about it. It is fine with me, as I'm not a huge High Elf fan, but it is one of those weird points of bullheadedness that Blizzard sometimes gets, like their longstanding aversion to hiding shoulderpads despite fan demand. So Alliance gets rando dumb lore elves instead. Hopefully we'll see Void Elves take up the place in the story where High Elves used to (perhaps Vereesa and some of the silver covenant join the void elves and assume a void form themselves? idk). If we expanded the Void Elves to include former High Elves rather than blood elves exclusively it'd give RPers some good material to work with if they wanted to play a elf with an entirely alliance-loyal past.
The devs, I notice, will sometimes dig their heels in over insanely trivial things. It's why we still don't have account-wide rep, despite most rep being useless outside of gating that gets repealed in a few months.
04/26/2018 05:42 PMPosted by Enekie
It's why we still don't have account-wide rep

or transmogable glasses

blizzard i'm begging you please
They need to just have a cataclysmic event kill what's left of the High elves. It was bad enough that a big chunk of the Alliance's screen time was dedicated to Thalassian elves when we couldn't play them, but now we have a playable variant of Thalassian elves and any further development of Vereesa and the Silver Covenant is just robbing the void elves.
04/26/2018 05:46 PMPosted by Zyco
They need to just have a cataclysmic event kill what's left of the High elves. It was bad enough that a big chunk of the Alliance's screen time was dedicated to Thalassian elves when we couldn't play them, but now we have a playable variant of Thalassian elves and any further development of Vereesa and the Silver Covenant is just robbing the void elves.

They should really just say "lol Umbric learned how to make new void elves, all the Silver Covenant members are void now. Also here's a pink skin tone". Tie void elf and high elf lore together and solidify them as a single Quel'dorei subrace for the Alliance. Void elves become more relevant and high elves stop taunting alliance players with their unplayability.
I can only hope there's going to be some event that gets the Covenant to go Void. But in any event...

*Continues to grind out rep for his Blueberry Consolation*
04/26/2018 05:51 PMPosted by Goldwing
I can only hope there's going to be some event that gets the Covenant to go Void.

This is what I'm anticipating.

I'm guessing Vareesa is gonna go down fighting the Horde and the Silver Covenant will decide to drink the void juice For Vengeance.
I like void elves but I don't understand why we just didn't get High Elves instead of the Fedorai
04/26/2018 06:13 PMPosted by Chonga
I don't understand why we just didn't get High Elves

Clearly, neither does Blizzard.
04/26/2018 06:16 PMPosted by Azhaar
04/26/2018 06:13 PMPosted by Chonga
I don't understand why we just didn't get High Elves

Clearly, neither does Blizzard.

Well clearly, there's no organization of them because there aren't enough of them around.

*Pushes them away from Suramar*

Yep. Too few of them to matter.

*Closes the portal to the Isle of Thunder*

Barely any of them left to speak of.

*Throws a blanket over the front of Zul'Aman*

They're basically extinct.

*Sets the Argent Tournament ablaze*
I think the Void Elves were probably introduced so that we could get a reminder/introduction of the Void as the new Big Bad.
I still feel like the no high elves is 100% a PvP consideration but for whatever reason they lack the courage to admit it.

So we're left with a lore explanation that makes anyone who has played the game and seen the frequent use of high elves scratch their heads and wonder why Blizzard doesn't understand their own lore.
I'd hope it was a poor attempt to deflect at potential story reasons for the lack of the High Elves inclusion.

Maybe Sylvanas blights Varessa and raises her into Undeath, causing the rest of the Covenant to Void out in outrage.

*Shrugs*

Like it or not, the Ren'dorei are basically the Alliance High Elves at this point. May as well accept it and move on, least we turn into the blazing tire fire that is General Discussion.
I can't really buy the PvP thing, either, because pandas. And void elves using the same model pretty much negates that argument, as well; they were always talking about "silhouettes." For that matter, night elves and nightborne are similar enough, despite the new nightborne models, to be confusing at a distance.

Unless, of course, other player's nameplates, on-click auras, etc. are a conveniently different color, negating the entire issue.
Personally, I want the next Q&A to address Blizzard's Raid design philosophy. Which, since at least Warlords, seems to be "Throw as much crap on the floor to dodge around as possible".

I poked my head into the fight against Argus looking to get the quest done for rep. Tears were shed, as even the Adventure Journal did not prepare me for...that.

Blizzard please, I'm an old man. If my bulging joints are any indication, I'll soon have arthritis piled upon my carpal tunnel. Please. The spirit is willing but the hands are weak.
In less Elf-y news:

http://www.wowhead.com/news=283914&webhook/strand-of-the-ancients-battleground-removed-in-battle-for-azeroth
Hm. I get the wisdom there, since that BG probably has the least to do with actually fighting another player.

But I think I'll miss it. I'd love to see more battlegrounds where you compete against the enemy team via less direct means, but that would sort of defeat the purpose of fighting other players, wouldn't it?
04/26/2018 08:17 PMPosted by Sideswipe
In less Elf-y news:

http://www.wowhead.com/news=283914&webhook/strand-of-the-ancients-battleground-removed-in-battle-for-azeroth

Ahahahaha fantastic. Easily one of the worst battlegrounds.
It was the only battleground where your entire victory hinged on whether or not your team could look behind them.
I wonder why they haven't bothered to just remove the 40 mans instead of separating them into their own category. Horde players are never going to queue for them so what difference does it make?