Why play Gnome?

General Discussion
Because we are the master race and I've played this character since launch in 2004.
Because they're not an Elf.

#BringBackGarithos
04/15/2018 05:08 AMPosted by Zentron
Why do you play Gnome?

I've been playing gnomes for over... mumbles some math '... (10x)(13i)^2 ... chickens ... on a train ... Jane had ... [sin(xy)/2.362x]... 13 years, been playing gnomes for 13 years now.

Originally I had wanted to play a High Elf mage, but none were available to play in 2005, and night elf druids didn't work for me. So I decided to play a warlock instead, as they had a better leveling curve than mages at first, since I was on a RP-PVP server, I could only roll alliance, as the PVP servers were locked so you could only play one faction. So my choice was Gnome or Human warlock. I didn't like the looks of Humans, so I made a gnome. In fact at the time, gnomes where the most popular Alliance Warlock.

I quickly noticed all the things you did, the view of the game was completely different, also if you zoomed all the way out, you could make your character barely noticeable. As a caster this worked well, I had a good view of the enviroment, when I moved it felt faster, obstacles felt legitimate, over all the game was just better as a gnome.

Then came the RP, nothing is more fun than Drinking Rum and role playing a gnome. You can break the 4th wall in character, Gnome RP was truly a free space for creativity. My warlock (who BTW this warrior replaced, as the warlock is no longer a gnome, since we got High Elves.) was just fun, he was a mad scientist of evil world domination plans. His demons where just minions to help build his weapons of massive over destruction.

Yes, I loved playing my gnome. This is why I wish I could still main a Gnome.

Reason I stopped playing gnomes, got sick and tired of being abused. There is so much disrespect a player can take before they get sick of it.

For years I wanted a Gnome Hunter "they'll eat you" was the typical Blizzard Response to the question, also gnomes don't understand the light being why we didn't get priests or paladins.

Frankly, I nearly quiet wow altogether because no matter which gnome I played, no matter how serious I was no one would take me serious. I started to play Dreanei and Dwarves, my main from Mop to Legion was a Dwarf Hunter, my main in legion a night elf demon hunter, my second main is a dreanei fury warrior.

Now that I have 2 level 110 Void Elf Warlocks, (my old main, and the one I used to unlock the transmog). My main for BfA will be a Void Elf warlock named Mary, who is a reflection of who I am IRL.
04/15/2018 06:12 AMPosted by Eyrinjia
For starters, we Gnomes have the best starting area music in this game.

agreed, it's like a techno western theme, just love it.
04/15/2018 08:13 AMPosted by Catbuyer
Because once you go Gnome ... you ... go home?

that reminds me of this old classic video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Klbw1E_w8U
04/15/2018 06:18 AMPosted by Tinxie
04/15/2018 06:12 AMPosted by Eyrinjia
For starters, we Gnomes have the best starting area music in this game.

For Gnomeregan!
For the Alliance!
For Azeroth!
FOR THE KAZOOS!!!!!

We have the best starting area (period) in the game.

Also, my reason for playing gnome is the same as the OP, it's just a different experience.

How does the gnome's gnome sized starting zone compare to the worgens, goblins, taurens or DK'S?!
Gnomes look good in the captain's hat that's my argument.
04/15/2018 01:27 PMPosted by Alphons

Also, my reason for playing gnome is the same as the OP, it's just a different experience.

How does the gnome's gnome sized starting zone compare to the worgens, goblins, taurens or DK'S?!

Neither the worgen, nor the goblins, nor the tauren, nor the DK have KAZOOS!!!
I love my gnome DK.

She has a really nice Kazoo.
04/15/2018 01:27 PMPosted by Alphons

For starters, it's not gnome sized, it's normal sized like everything in the game. Secondly, it's over quickly, allowing you to pick your own path.

Thirdly, it's steampunk, logical, and has great music.

Gilneas, is long, can't leave it until the story is done, although it's nice looking, it gets boring quickly, and has no replay value.

Goblins, even longer and more boring than Gilneas, the steam punk locations are ugly and chaotic, the music is annoying, I usually listen to pandora when playing anything other than my gnomies.

DKs, had a great start zone in Wrath, and it was fun once. It was skippable for a while, but now you are forced to play it out. ugg, I hate it now with a passion.

As for Tauren, that's my second favorite start zone. Sadly I just don't like playing them, most of my Horde characters are Blefs and Orcs.

I do like my Female Orcs, they look like me.
the one alliance race i wont play. nope. not even
04/15/2018 05:08 AMPosted by Zentron
The other day I was feeling bored so I thought I try a Gnome for a change.
To be honest, I've never tried one until yesterday.

I made a LvL1 Gnome Rogue and boy...WOW was a different game.
Was it because of his size? Everything looked twice as bigger and the World
was Twice as bigger! When the little guy reached LvL6 and went to the Dwarven town, boy...those Dwarves at Kharanos looked like Giants to me like twice as tall as my guy was, and those hills looked like mountains to me! I was running around in circles to find a way to climb until I realized it was just a hill that I could just climb...

It looks certain that I am gonna play a Gnome for it brings me a brand new WOW experience for a change; but I wanna ask more people about your experiences.

Why do you play Gnome?

P.S. quite a depressing starting story at Gnomeregan by the way. Those poor people working under the condition of harmful radiation and being kicked out of Ironforge, I hope they find their home soon.

Well done & welcome to the land of the little people! You will love all the advantages. Squeezing through tiny gaps. Can't cross that canyon? Just insult someone and they'll quickly punt you over to the other side without even realizing they fell for your clever trick. Gnomes, the most intelligent race.
04/15/2018 06:15 AMPosted by Shudder
Gnomes are too short for me. That really is all I dislike about them.

Just cannot get into them because of that. Same with dwarves and goblins too.

Looking up all the time is annoying, zooming out is like playing as a dot.
We're shorter so we're closer to Satan.
04/15/2018 03:46 PMPosted by Wrench
We're shorter so we're closer to Satan.

You're also high, punting and all.
04/15/2018 08:57 AMPosted by Jellarie
I play a gnome because:

1- when I'm playing my gnomes I am always happy. Everything about them just makes me smile

2- I'm tiny in the real so it's just more comfortable.

3- I haven't met an unfriendly gnome.

Also Blizzard doesn't care enough about Gnomes to write lore about them (thank god) they are almost unchanged from Vanilla.

Have fun Void Elves....
If gnomes could be Paladins, my main would currently be a gnome..
My only problems with Gnome is running through puddles and you start swimming while the rest of your group just walks on by. The shrill voice can sometimes get irritating (not as bad as the Worgen 'sniff' IMO).

Haven't had any problems with 'being taken seriously' or camera angles.
The cuteness. Also, (like IRL) I like to change the hair color options. Maybe being the smaller race also had an appeal for me. Used to be an intelligence boost for the mage, now just a tiny more mana pool.
Yeah, the insults get old but the fun outweighs all those. Plus, I’ve already got used to them by now. Haven’t heard an original one for awhile now.

Not to mention all the lore, work, development we have gotten the past ~13 yrs. /sarcasm

I’ve been trying to get the PvP artifact appearance lately, so in learning how to PvP, i’ve noticed that I get targeted like a lot. Mebbe cause i’m a mage but now that I think about it, i believe it’s because of my race lol.

I just <3 the gnomes, idk why.
I have two Gnome characters and really like them. The only draw back is seeing their armor. Other than that one thing I see no problem with them.

I have theories on there they came from and what makes them a fun loving bunch. It's all theory because there is nothing that spells it right out. In a nut shell I think they were created by whomever as machines and got the "curse of flesh". However they don't see it as a curse at all, nothing like being a live. I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time and most certainly will not be the last. I like the idea though.

edit; Fixed a word. Would like to add. One thing that is adds to the experience is doing /chicken as a female worrier on a rogue. Draws them like flies.