Increase Characters Per Account Limit OR

General Discussion
==FULL TITLE==
Increase Characters Per Account Limit Beyond 50 or Only Apply It To Low Level Characters

==PROBLEM==
I have 48 characters on my account and the lowest level of any of them is 60. I left the two slots open in case the next expansion had a new class (so I could maybe do one for each faction). Instead they announced a boatload of allied races instead so I'm definitely out of character slots.

The name-holding argument doesn't work, people can just use starter accounts for that anyway.

I understand they would have to store more data, but maybe not as much as you think? Blizzard already doesn't permanently delete characters above level 50 anyway. Source: https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/15312

==SUGGESTIONS==
I would find a limit on the number of characters below a certain level, like level 50, acceptable on an account level. Or tiered limits - 50 characters under level 60 allowed, 60 characters under level 70 allowed, 70 characters under level 80, etc.

Raising it by 25-50 across the board would be nice. I wouldn't mind paying for the slots either. Paying for every expansion twice and two subs (or alternating every other month) is a lot worse than that.

==NO ONE NEEDS THAT MANY / PLAYS THAT MANY==
It's been 50 for a very, very long time. So many additional races and classes have been added since vanilla, but the account maximum hasn't budged. I really do think it's time.

Yes, I do play all of them when my sub is active (save this past month, I was unlocking allied races on my main). I mostly like to play battlegrounds or occasionally a dungeon on all my alts and sometimes I'll just use a random number generator between 1-48 to determine which to play, jumping around characters several times in the same sitting. Sometimes I'll play whichever is lowest level, or whichever has the most rest XP saved up.

In a perfect World of Warcraft for me, I would have enough slots for one of every class of every race I'd like to play as: Draenei (8), Night Elf (8), Lightforged Draenei (5), Void Elf (7), Undead (8), Troll (10), Blood Elf (9), Nightborne (7).
This would require 62 character slots itself, with more potentially needed as new classes/races are added in the future.

I find myself a bit paralyzed by indecision on it. If I did buy a second account and then later the limit was finally raised, it would feel pretty bad.

==ALTOHOLIC WORKAROUND==
Another option is that since characters over level 50 are never permanently deleted, I could simply cycle a new one in/out approximately twice per subscription period using the character restore function. It's *much less than ideal*, but if you find yourself in a similar predicament as me perhaps it could work for you. If the limit does ever get raised, then you could then bring one back every 14 days (assuming the server they're on isn't full, and that Blizzard doesn't change their mind about the retention requirements)

==YOU CANT BE SERIOUS==
Or maybe just wait for WoW classic :3 ? Leveling 50 characters in that should take forever, plus there's less race/class combinations to worry about in the first place.
I mean welcome to how blizzard treated Collector's Edition folk for every single pre purchase x-pac up til BFA.

Not saying things might not change, you just might get ignored by the company until say.. half a decade later or so.

This personally doesn't affect me but I hope they extend the slot limits for people like you, OP.
I do know that if you decide to get a second account, linked to your first, you don't have to worry about unlocking the allied races again. If you play as much as you do, perhaps a second account would be worthwhile. It would give your imagination room to run riot.

If at some point Blizzard does go ahead and bump up the character limit, then I suppose you could merge individual characters from your newer account back to your older one. Then discontinue the new account. I think that this is the very reason why the number won't be lifted, though.
I'm curious, as thus isn't the first post I've seen about this topic. What exactly do you do with so many characters? How do you decide which you want to spend time on? Is the bulk of your game time just leveling alts?
04/15/2018 08:53 PMPosted by Neptunia
I find myself a bit paralyzed by indecision on it. If I did buy a second account and then later the limit was finally raised, it would feel pretty bad.
It's very unlikely they would bump the limit, but like Jim says, you can always transfer your extra characters back to your old account and eliminate the newer one.

I personally have two accounts even though I'm not near the limit. I confess it's mostly because I got a free game when I went to see the Warcraft movie, so I recruited myself for a recruit-a-friend mount. But there are advantages to two accounts, the best one being you can have two characters active at once.

You can keep asking for a bump to the character limit, but if I were you, the next time the base game goes on sale, I would get a second account. And don't forget to do the recruit-a-friend!
...I honestly cannot fathom why people need that many characters.
04/15/2018 09:12 PMPosted by Shirt
Neither can Blizzard. One of the devs actually said they would like to see if there was actually someone that actively played 50 characters.
04/15/2018 09:01 PMPosted by Jim
I do know that if you decide to get a second account, linked to your first, you don't have to worry about unlocking the allied races again. If you play as much as you do, perhaps a second account would be worthwhile. It would give your imagination room to run riot.

If at some point Blizzard does go ahead and bump up the character limit, then I suppose you could merge individual characters from your newer account back to your older one. Then discontinue the new account. I think that this is the very reason why the number won't be lifted, though.

Yeah, with the Allied Race unlock being across my Battle.net account and some of the promotional pricing for BFA bundles it is tempting. My main concern is that merging the characters from the new account back to the original one if the limit is raised in the future would be $25 / character. Buying every expansion twice isn't ideal, but I guess I could always just buy it on the account with open character slots first and wait for a sale for the other account or something.

I think my main point is that it's just a lot of hoops to jump through for altoholics just because of a number that's been static for 13 years.
04/15/2018 09:06 PMPosted by Lux
I'm curious, as thus isn't the first post I've seen about this topic. What exactly do you do with so many characters? How do you decide which you want to spend time on? Is the bull of your game time just leveling alts?

Pretty much. I covered some of your questions in the OP but it is kinda long. I use a random number generator (or pick the lowest level, or one with the most rest XP) to decide which one to play and then mostly do a few battlegrounds, or maybe dungeons, before switching again. I prefer doing battlegrounds on non-max level characters because they gain experience (I also have one of the heirlooms that increases battleground experience by 50%)

Max level progression is so wonky these days that if I don't do something immediately, it'll probably be a lot easier to do later. It certainly doesn't apply to everything, but third relic slot, artifact traits, artifact knowledge, etc. I didn't touch any of these on my main for a very long time, and then one day they were just handed out for free in a patch anyway.
04/15/2018 09:11 PMPosted by Brahmina
04/15/2018 08:53 PMPosted by Neptunia
It's very unlikely they would bump the limit, but like Jim says, you can always transfer your extra characters back to your old account and eliminate the newer one.

I personally have two accounts even though I'm not near the limit. I confess it's mostly because I got a free game when I went to see the Warcraft movie, so I recruited myself for a recruit-a-friend mount. But there are advantages to two accounts, the best one being you can have two characters active at once.

You can keep asking for a bump to the character limit, but if I were you, the next time the base game goes on sale, I would get a second account. And don't forget to do the recruit-a-friend!

I'll keep RAF in mind, thanks! I'll have to look up the details though, because using RAF bonuses can make you ineligible for allied race heritage armor sets and I wouldn't want to lock myself out of that accidentally.

They don't, but surprisingly over the years I've managed to accumulate my fair share of them as well. I never expected to hit the cap either but apparently I have.

Admittedly the only thing stopping me from deleting some of the older ones to level new ones on my current server is nostalgic attachment. I might not play my old hunter, warrior, and priest from Wrath but I remember all the time I spent raiding with friends from BC-Wrath on them. I've also got an assortment of a couple dozen characters that I RAF boosted with my brother and another server that I RAF boosted with my girlfriend that no longer get played because we ended up moving to a PvE server. There's also the server with my first 5 characters, one made by each member of my family so that I could have the whole family together on the login screen back when I was 11.

I'm not about to request Blizzard commit the dev time and resources to expanding the current max cap but I certainly wouldn't object to a paid extension of the cap either.
04/15/2018 09:17 PMPosted by Neptunia
04/15/2018 09:01 PMPosted by Jim

Yeah, with the Allied Race unlock being across my Battle.net account and some of the promotional pricing for BFA bundles it is tempting. My main concern is that merging the characters from the new account back to the original one if the limit is raised in the future would be $25 / character. Buying every expansion twice isn't ideal, but I guess I could always just buy it on the account with open character slots first and wait for a sale for the other account or something.

I think my main point is that it's just a lot of hoops to jump through for altoholics just because of a number that's been static for 13 years.

What hoops? You're making things much too complicated. Just get that second account -- and hang on to it. You don't necessarily have to keep both of them active at all times. You don't have to actively play every character on both accounts all the time. And for an altoholic, it's wonderful to always have open character slots available for, well, whatever you want to use them for.

At any rate, Blizzard's unlikely to increase the per account limit when they can simply sell you a second copy of the game and start collecting two subs instead of one.

P.S. You don't want to know exactly how many WoW licenses I have (not that they are all active, or that they all have BfA -- I don't even have Legion on all of them, although that will change when it gets rolled into the battlechest).
I could see it being a paid service. I can't see blizzard increasing storage for ALL accounts to 75-100 characters
It's funny how you folks don't get the altoholics... I myself have 31 level 110 toons, most of them over 915 ilvl. After deleting all my alts on Darkspear (5) I'm still at 42 toons total. The remaining 11 toons are one each of the new races, all parked at level 20 for now, and then 7 more toons between levels 91 and 110. So yeah, it goes without saying that I play most of my toons quite a bit. I raised this army of alts to farm mounts, pets and gold. I average 4-5 Minion of Grumpus mounts per year, and have many of the rare dungeon drop mounts and pets. So mock the altoholics if you like, but I play how I like to play, not how you tell me I should like to play. =P
You guys sure have plenty of spare time
There's this thing called a 'delete' button. Use it. Stop whining. Thanks!
07/01/2018 02:08 AMPosted by Shootinununu
It's funny how you folks don't get the altoholics... I myself have 31 level 110 toons, most of them over 915 ilvl. After deleting all my alts on Darkspear (5) I'm still at 42 toons total. The remaining 11 toons are one each of the new races, all parked at level 20 for now, and then 7 more toons between levels 91 and 110. So yeah, it goes without saying that I play most of my toons quite a bit. I raised this army of alts to farm mounts, pets and gold. I average 4-5 Minion of Grumpus mounts per year, and have many of the rare dungeon drop mounts and pets. So mock the altoholics if you like, but I play how I like to play, not how you tell me I should like to play. =P

Since you are raising your army of alts to make gold you should be able to afford to buy and maintain a second account.
I vote for allowing us to buy more slots. That way only those dedicated will do it.
07/01/2018 02:08 AMPosted by Shootinununu
It's funny how you folks don't get the altoholics...

I get myself just fine. I bought a second account instead of thinking Blizz will give me more slots for free.

edit: typo