Not "RPG" enough

General Discussion
yup, wow is very lite on the the rpg factor, no real choices for talents or unique choices except for transmog, still fun but look at the top 100 enhancement raiders and they pretty much run all the same except literally transmog or the off legendary, no individual personality on each person's shaman.
WoW's more free form than what I would have thought of an RPG growing up (JRPGs like Final Fantasy or Chrono Trigger) with all the choices you have in the way you want to customize your character and spend your time. It is of course less of an RPG than a tabletop game, but any video game is going to be; you can't have a dungeon master responding directly to your character choices and building a new world around you in real time.
I think WoW is lacking a lot of the character building mechanisms that RPGs tend to have, like more stats to play around with, more malleable skill sets to choose a build from, etc. Like a lot of the things it used to have.

If WoW used more action oriented combat, I don’t think I would mind the current setup as much. As a tab-target game, I think it’s lacking the strategic elements that work well with this kind of system.
04/24/2018 01:52 AMPosted by Allvoltage
yup, wow is very lite on the the rpg factor, no real choices for talents or unique choices except for transmog, still fun but look at the top 100 enhancement raiders and they pretty much run all the same except literally transmog or the off legendary, no individual personality on each person's shaman.

This is no different at any point in WoW's life.

The top 100 players always ran the same spec, because at some point there is optimal, regardless of your options.
I mean, I am in a RP guild where I RP with other RPers...

Roleplaying is what you make it, OP.

If you're interested hop on by MG and I can see if you can join in our guild and we can teach you how to RP if you're interested! :)
If you want an MMORPG that actually values the RPG aspects, look elsewhere. WoW keeps heading deeper into action-adventure territory and basically just cosplays as an RPG.
It certainly used to be a lot more "RPG".
What I will say is that because of add ons that track your numbers, and how this game becomes a number chasing game rather than a monster killing game, it does tend to force people into directions that they maybe don't want to take because certain talents or gear produce better numbers.

For example, you might be a death knight who loves breathing frost onto people, but the current best build may produce 200k more dps than breathing frost. So long your role play of frost breathing death knight or so long your fun gameplay without constantly having to answer questions like 'why are you in BoS build lmao?'

Also, if you wanted to role play as evil, it is pretty difficult to do that unless you are on a pvp server.
Everyone is to used to how easy and fast everything is these days to make any meaningful changes at this point.

Would be nice to have some actual rpg elements back but this generation can't stand having to actually put a little effort in for things that aren't raiding.
The game started as an RPG. It’s now a third person PvE MOBA
WoW is not an RPG,
The game chooses your stats for PvP
The game gives little to no choice on talents
There is no choice in your actions or story, it's on rails.
WoW is an action game with gear, and gear means more than skill

WoW is not an MMO.
It's a lobby based game where you queue then join, then back to lobby
04/24/2018 03:58 AMPosted by Akston
04/24/2018 01:52 AMPosted by Allvoltage

This is no different at any point in WoW's life.

The top 100 players always ran the same spec, because at some point there is optimal, regardless of your options.

It's not a matter of what is optimal. it's a matter of having the ability to choose your own spec if you feel like it. Pre-talent casualization I could choose to be a meme holy priest damage spec if I wanted for Bgs. That was magical. I could play holy-prot hpal, that was fun too. That's customization. Just because there is an optimal spec doesn't mean there is no choice. Many builds make the game more fun.

By your logic let's just delete shadow priests too since they're not optimal: let's just remove content, it's the same whether they're there or not.