Pet Battle Updates in Beta

Battle for Azeroth Beta General Discussion
Hello!

We're currently hard at work implementing Battle for Azeroth’s pet battle content, and we'd like to start talking about some of the changes you’ll be seeing in the Beta.

Pet Battle World Quests will soon begin showing up on both of the new continents. Similar to Legion, they will count towards your zone’s emissary, but this time around, the level of the pets opposing you will scale to the highest level pet on your team. This will allow a player with a team of only level 1 pets to take on the World Quest and get some battle pet experience. Please give them a shot with pets of all levels, and let us know how that goes for you.

We will be introducing a new currency in Battle for Azeroth that can be used to purchase a variety of things, so there's no need to hold on to those Pet Charms that are burning a hole in your pocket.

Several new pet battle mechanics are coming to Battle for Azeroth. Some of these will appear on enemy pets, and some on yours. A few examples include:
  • A powerful spell that summons a random Weather effect
  • Several additions to suite of Heals that will have increased effects based on your pet’s health
  • Aura effects that heal your pet (or damage the enemy pet) based on the last hit dealt

• In addition to new pets and abilities, we’re making a few targeted changes to a few pets and abilities that are seen frequently:
  • Bone Serpent: swapped positions of Call Darkness and Lift Off
  • Crow and Gilnean Raven: -200 power, +200 speed
  • Cyclone: damage changed from 7 to 3-7
  • Haunt: returns the pet at 50% health when sacrificed instead of 100%.
  • Teroclaw Hatchling: Dodge and Nature's Ward now occupy the same tier (as do Hawk Eye and Ravage).

• Please feel free to let us know how the changes play for you.

Thank you!
    will current pet upgrade tokens still work on BFA pets?
    04/25/2018 04:03 PMPosted by Inic
    will current pet upgrade tokens still work on BFA pets?

Yes.
    Unless the pet battle world quests also reward azerite, there probably won't be much higher participation percentage this xpac.
    If the goal isn't to increase player participation, then the information above makes complete sense.
    Either way, it's cool to see changes made to the system.
    How much pet experience will the WQ's give? Currently there aren't a ton of trainers up at once on the broken shore, so I'd hope we'd be able to fight these pets again after the WQ is finished or there are plenty up at a time.

Having a limited amount of trainers up could be a issue if they give a decent amount of XP with people who have alts, unless pet WQ's are now account wide.

Also, one more thing that was somewhat bothersome to me was that when pet world quests were offered during legion, and the reward was a normal reward, such as order hall resources or artifact power, it was considerably less then almost all of the other offered quests. With these changes to letting people complete these with level 1 pets, it might be a good time to make sure the quest rewards are more in line with others in the zone.
    Hello!
    but this time around, the level of the pets opposing you will scale to the highest level pet on your team.
    Thank you!

You have no idea how happy this makes me.
    04/25/2018 04:32 PMPosted by Tipsylass
    Hello!
    but this time around, the level of the pets opposing you will scale to the highest level pet on your team.
    Thank you!

So i can just level pets in Elwynn Forest now?
    04/25/2018 04:32 PMPosted by Tipsylass

So i can just level pets in Elwynn Forest now?

To clarify, the trainers you will battle for Battle for Azeroth World Quests will scale to the level of the highest level pet on your current pet team, allowing you to complete the World Quest with low-level pets.

While we may expand this system to other trainers and battles (a few already use it, like Crysa), we don't plan to expand it to wild pets at this time.
    Any plans to expand the total cap on the number of pets you can have past the 1500 of Legion?

Or make the existing cap increase of Legion a little easier to get?
    No plans currently to expand the cap, are you finding that you're out of pet space?

We're looking into the difficulty of getting the 1500 pets item in a BfA world.
    You nerfed crow. Second worst news since the GCD change.
    Not really hitting that 1500 cap so it probably won't be an issue until after BfA for most collectors. Was mainly curious.

04/25/2018 04:52 PMPosted by Muffinus

That's good, my second account is getting a little tight and that achieve currently takes a while to get.
    04/25/2018 04:52 PMPosted by Muffinus
    No plans currently to expand the cap, are you finding that you're out of pet space?

I was looking at pet things the other day - most gonzo pet collectors have just short of 1k unique pets. But it can be advantageous to have more than one of a pet leveled for pet dungeons, plus the 15 each of the various egg pets on Argus that you just keep getting and etc drops.

I am absolutely not pushing 1500, but I can see that the end of BfA may see me there, I have 150ish unique pets that I don't have yet plus various multiples. Then add on BfA... So, I don't care about a pet thing to increase now, but I will definitely want one in the next 2 years.
    We will be introducing a new currency in Battle for Azeroth that can be used to purchase a variety of things, so there's no need to hold on to those Pet Charms that are burning a hole in your pocket.

• Teroclaw Hatchling: Dodge and Nature's Ward now occupy the same tier (as do Hawk Eye and Ravage).
  • [/b]

Will pet charms still work on old vendors (e.g., Lio the Lioness)?

RIP Teroclaw. Time to find a new PvP team.
    Please, PLEASE reconsider the unjustified nerf to Teroclaw Hatchling. There's many other pets that are far more difficult to kill, and Teroclaw already has low health. These changes are not necessary since it isn't able to survive every single encounter like Anubisath Idol or Emperor Crab, both of which are nigh unkillable unless the enemy is a glass cannon with their counter family. Teroclaw Chick has enough negatives to prevent it from being a god, and this nerf would ruin the poor thing. It's already a flightless bird; do you want to shame it even more?

EDIT: This is relevant.
    https://www.amazon.com/Giant-Jumbo-Pink-Eraser-Mistakes/dp/B00HZ0FN8W
    RIP Teroclaw, you solo'd your way into my heart.

Any eta on copies then as the alpha to beta wipe took out all my pets on the server and I'd like to get stuck into trying these out
    "Crow and Gilnean Raven: -200 power, +200 speed"

Is this meant to be 20? 200 makes them pretty much unable to do damage.

As someone still rocking an original 260 power / 325 speed (or S/S) raven this would be problematic.
    What will become of currently existing Pet Charms. Will they still be obtainable and usable at existing vendors or will they be supplanted by the new currency?
    Ah I never like ta see a winning combination gettin' the nerf bat. Poor ol' Teroclaw's been such a good little soldier this expansion. I spose we'll just have to find a new way for some encounters. I'm ambivalent about the world quest changes, but it's nice for people new to pet collecting, particularly enabling them to try out different teams with unusual pets.