Pet Battle Updates in Beta

Battle for Azeroth Beta General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next
Magma Trap (or Snap Trap) paired with Tidal/Magma wave is still a very powerful combo in pet battles - ridiculously so considering the guaranteed stun on the trap's (forced) destruction.

I feel like this is an overused mechanic that should also be addressed, certainly more powerful than the teroclaw.
04/25/2018 03:43 PMPosted by Kaivax
We will be introducing a new currency in Battle for Azeroth that can be used to purchase a variety of things, so there's no need to hold on to those Pet Charms that are burning a hole in your pocket.

Account-wide currency, or do I need to worry about which of me is holding all my pet charms when the 8.0 patch drops?
Just a few questions. :D

Pet Battle World Quests will soon begin showing up on both of the new continents. Similar to Legion, they will count towards your zone’s emissary, but this time around, the level of the pets opposing you will scale to the highest level pet on your team. This will allow a player with a team of only level 1 pets to take on the World Quest and get some battle pet experience. Please give them a shot with pets of all levels, and let us know how that goes for you.

Will we be able to battle BfA pet battle trainers if the WQs aren't up? It was nice when we got to Argus and we could battle them whenever we felt like it and didn't have to wait for the WQ to show up. Also, will pet battle WQs be accessible before 120, or only at max level?

Several new pet battle mechanics are coming to Battle for Azeroth. Some of these will appear on enemy pets, and some on yours. A few examples include:
  • A powerful spell that summons a random Weather effect
  • Several additions to suite of Heals that will have increased effects based on your pet’s health
  • Aura effects that heal your pet (or damage the enemy pet) based on the last hit dealt

• I can't wait for these new abilities. :D That said, will we be seeing any brand new weather abilities in BfA? Weather abilities are some of my favorite abilities to play around with and it would be nice to see some new ones.

I'm assuming new healing/damaging abilities will be added for those last 2. Especially the Aura effects.

In addition to new pets and abilities, we’re making a few targeted changes to a few pets and abilities that are seen frequently:

Are those targeted changes the only changes planned for BfA or are more in store? Since weather abilities were being looked into, are there any plans to perhaps go over the old weather abilities and buff/nerf those that are more/less prevalent (Lightning Storm - more; Mudslide - less, as an example.)?
    We’d like to take a moment to discuss Battle Pet philosophies as they pertain to current nerfs, future buffs, and Master Trainers.

We like adding new Battle Pets in expansion packs with powerful abilities. Along with this, we generally “retire” pets that have seen many days of spotlight in both PvP and PvE. Recently you have seen this with the Bone Serpent and friends.

By doing so, we hope to keep both the PvE and PvP meta-games fresh, interesting, and involving player-driven strategies. We don’t intend to increase the level cap or rarity of pets, so this approach allows us to update both past and future content, unlocking new strategies for players that intend to collect them all. It’s analogous to Hearthstone moving some cards to Wild – it allows for the new expansion, and its abilities, to shine, without an ever-increasing power level for all pets that ultimately becomes unsustainable.

Ultimately, this empowers the player that has the largest collection – and this is what Pet Battles is all about. If you have a large stable, you will find that previously-underpowered things bubble up to the surface when other things sink, and your ability to collect them all will ultimately best allow you to weather the storm of change.

If you find that any older content becomes very difficult as a result of these changes, we’d like to hear from you – new combos should allow you to overcome older challenges, but we have a LOT of Trainers in WoW, so you never know when one may surprise you (or us).
    04/26/2018 05:19 PMPosted by Muffinus
    We like adding new Battle Pets in expansion packs with powerful abilities. Along with this, we generally “retire” pets that have seen many days of spotlight in both PvP and PvE. Recently you have seen this with the Bone Serpent and friends.

Curious, what does it mean by "retire" here? Does that mean they will no longer be able to be attained? Or just not balanced anymore? Perhaps something else?
    04/26/2018 06:03 PMPosted by Lucetia

Curious, what does it mean by "retire" here? Does that mean they will no longer be able to be attained? Or just not balanced anymore? Perhaps something else?

I believe he means nerfs to make them effectively less competitive akin to green proto and panda water spirit in warlords as an example, or valkyr nerfs
    Minor thing but a lot of Legion pets from rare spawns are 100% drops the very first time to kill them but are World Quest rares that you kill multiple times.

Because you get 1 every single time you level people easily get tons of them from leveling alts and they're worth almost nothing in the AH and people end up deleting them after a couple alts.

I think it would be a lot cooler if the pets were like a 10% drop, so that they're not rare but it's more of a cool reward.

Just think of all the poor deleted Risen Saber Kittens and poor little Benax!
    04/26/2018 06:03 PMPosted by Lucetia

It means either changing the stats or shifting around abilities to break a moveset.
    04/25/2018 09:30 PMPosted by Funshinebear
    What will become of currently existing Pet Charms. Will they still be obtainable and usable at existing vendors or will they be supplanted by the new currency?
    Please be explicit, Blizz.
    there's no need to hold on to those Pet Charms that are burning a hole in your pocket.
    The implication is "spend them now bc they're Soon™ going to be useless", but don't be coy!
    04/25/2018 09:30 PMPosted by Funshinebear
    What will become of currently existing Pet Charms. Will they still be obtainable and usable at existing vendors or will they be supplanted by the new currency?
    Please be explicit, Blizz.

Muffinus talked about this in his interview with Hazelnuttygames and the old charms will still be obtainable and useable on the old vendor items you just won't get them from BfA content.

https://youtu.be/Ep2OUD0W2CA?t=705

Watch the whole interview if you've got time it's a very good one :)
    As a pet collector , I don't care for being forced to pvp for pets , and yes it is being forced. In legion it's not that bad as you can slowly grind up to prestige 7 to get the 2 pets , but now it's being changed to an rng thing in bfa so now if I don't finish this grind I may literally never get them. If you insist on implementing this sort of thing make it so I can do it at my leisure over multiple expansions. Between my two accounts I believe I had over 400 attempts to get ashes and I was fine with that. No matter what I can choose to go and farm that mount and never worry about the chances changing or it not being possible anymore. I like to pick goals for w/e it maybe and be able to log in and work towards those goals at my pace. I have played since day one and rarely complain. I just dislike being forced then rushed to do something I hate for something I like. I put off the prestige grind until a few months ago and now all I have time to do is log in and grind prestige . Yes it's my fault , but I assumed prestige wouldn't be messed with.
    We’d like to take a moment to discuss Battle Pet philosophies as they pertain to current nerfs, future buffs, and Master Trainers.

By doing so, we hope to keep both the PvE and PvP meta-games fresh, interesting, and involving player-driven strategies. We don’t intend to increase the level cap or rarity of pets, so this approach allows us to update both past and future content, unlocking new strategies for players that intend to collect them all. It’s analogous to Hearthstone moving some cards to Wild – it allows for the new expansion, and its abilities, to shine, without an ever-increasing power level for all pets that ultimately becomes unsustainable.

Ultimately, this empowers the player that has the largest collection – and this is what Pet Battles is all about. If you have a large stable, you will find that previously-underpowered things bubble up to the surface when other things sink, and your ability to collect them all will ultimately best allow you to weather the storm of change.

If you find that any older content becomes very difficult as a result of these changes, we’d like to hear from you – new combos should allow you to overcome older challenges, but we have a LOT of Trainers in WoW, so you never know when one may surprise you (or us).

Is that a "no" on new weather effects, then? :p
    04/25/2018 04:52 PMPosted by Muffinus
    No plans currently to expand the cap, are you finding that you're out of pet space?

We're looking into the difficulty of getting the 1500 pets item in a BfA world.

Muffinus,

As someone who has 1225 pets and maybe 5-7 I can realistically yet get; with all excepting the non level ones at 25 and rare. The 1500 should be ok, if the number of new pets doesn't exceed 200ish in BFA :)
    If I may, has there been any input around making pet teams character-specific? I'm not a huge fan of all my characters having to use the same team, RP-centric that I am; it's rather put me off indulging in pet battles.
    This is a technical question, but do complete whole-journal petID reassignments still happen in BfA? It's not really something that can be tested by an individual.

To be clear on what this is: for no reason I've yet been able to discern, occasionally someone will log in on live servers and all of their pets will have a new petID. As if every pet was caged and re-learned. With the value placed on breeds, and the inability to easily discern a breed from the API we have now (was hoping for breeds exposed in-game for BfA like they have been for the web API for years), and the fact that pets can change level and rarity, the workaround has to be rather complicated to be accurate and reliable. It is easily the most frustrating aspect of creating an addon that wants to keep track of specific pets.

I originally thought this was from people doing realm transfers. But some affected people swear up and down that they've never transferred.
    My personal issue of why i don't want to even step into pet battling, is from how pets can have different stats, making certain pets ideal for certain comps, on top of knowing the comps, abilities, and counters, i just don't want to put forth the time to pet battle.. even though i want the toys SO BAD.. i have like 330 something toys, and i want more! I just can't bring myself to pet battle for this reason u.u
    04/25/2018 04:52 PMPosted by Muffinus
    We're looking into the difficulty of getting the 1500 pets item in a BfA world.

I initially read this as "there's an item-rewarding achievement for getting 1500 pets in BfA" and nearly wept; I'm at 930-something level 25s with no duplicates and a unique(ish) name for each one, so the idea of an expansion containing ~600+ more or having to pick up duplicates and leveling and naming them all was just... oh my goodness, no. I'm already annoyed when I'm having trouble with a particular battle and all the strategies suggest a breed I didn't happen to random into when I was capturing the thing (or when they suggest having multiples of the same pet, different breeds or not).

I feel like the 1500 cap should become default, in much the same way as old expansions' flying got rolled into 150% flying in 7.3.5, but I don't honestly remember what the default cap IS anymore—1k according to Wowhead comments on the pocket pet portal. Yipes, yeah, given how close we are already to players like me (who don't DO duplicates) reaching that cap, I feel like the default cap needs to be raised again.
    04/27/2018 12:15 PMPosted by Rimunii
    If I may, has there been any input around making pet teams character-specific? I'm not a huge fan of all my characters having to use the same team, RP-centric that I am; it's rather put me off indulging in pet battles.

I'm from an RP background, and don't share this concern. Having access to your OOC slate of pets doens't stop you from choosing not to use them for IC purposes.

Is there an ability to put user notes on your pet collection in the default UI? That would be helpful to support your RP use case, by making it easier to keep toons apart with a simple note.
    I'm always sad to see pets nerfed into the ground, because it just means they join the heap of things I'll never interact with again, and that is not a part of my collection that I like to see increase in size. The worst part of it is that you almost never actually buff anything, so rather than seeing old pets rotate in, one just has to wait and see what new, broken nonsense becomes fotm.

I think it's wishful thinking that, by nerfing successful pets, you'd see "previously-underpowered things bubble up to the surface when other things sink", because logically, if these pets were good, people would already be using them. Underpowered pets are not kept down by the top dawgz, they were just never that good in the first place, hence why they are actually underpowered, and not simply under-used. My beloved Clefthoof Runt, Chunk, will never be good, no matter how many overpowered pets are brought low. Unless the abilities he has see some reworking or straight-up buffs, he'll remain forever weak and pitiful (but no less beloved). The overwhelming majority of pets are of Chunk's caliber, where either their kit makes no sense, or it just doesn't amount to enough to render them usable for anything. I'd rather see more changes to underwhelming, unimpressive abilities, to bring more pets into the meta, than to see more "sent into retirement" nerfs.
    04/26/2018 07:05 PMPosted by Vahdis
    Muffinus talked about this in his interview with Hazelnuttygames and the old charms will still be obtainable and useable on the old vendor items you just won't get them from BfA content.

https://youtu.be/Ep2OUD0W2CA?t=705

Watch the whole interview if you've got time it's a very good one :)
    Ooh, thanks!