Pet Battle Updates in Beta

Battle for Azeroth Beta General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 9 Next
05/22/2018 04:04 AMPosted by Zunde
I still don't agree with scaling.

Anyone who want's to "Get into" pet battles can slap on Zookeeper and get 2-3 level 25 pets worth of tokens a day doing world quests and such with no effort on their part.

Considering actual pet battlers are not getting any difficult content for them it's all scaled world quests for babies.

Have you done any testing with the WQ with lvl 1's ? I would love to know if the quest are less time consuming with a team of lvl 1's vs a team of lvl 25s. I can't help thinking this scaling will just provide incentive not to level up pets at all if the rewards are just as good with lvl 1s but take less time.
Update--

You'll notice in today's new Beta update that battle pet currency has changed. Here are the main changes:
  • Pet Charms will be named Shiny Pet Charms. Shiny Pet Charms continue to be acquired by doing pre-BFA battle pet content.
  • A new currency has been added -- Polished Pet Charms. These are acquired by doing BFA content, such as Pet Battle World Quests.
  • Vendors that sell battle pet items that are always useful have had their wares changed to require new Polished Pet Charms as currency. For example, the vendor Serr’ah in Dalaran now wants the new Polished Pet Charms. Similar vendors who sell such items have had their costs adjusted as well.
  • Vendors that sell things like unique pets or toys that have always required Shiny Pet Charms will still require Shiny Pet Charms. For example, Giada Goldleash in Dalaran will still sell all of her pets and toys for Shiny Pet Charms.
  • The Pocket Pet Portal item, which was an achievement reward for completing 30 of the Pet Battle World Quests on the Broken Isles, will be added to a vendor with a Polished Pet Charm cost. This is to avoid players feeling obligated to farm previous expansion’s world quests. You can do current content to catch yourself up. This is coming in a future Beta build.
  • Ultimate Battle-Training Stones are going to have their cost increased from 45 to 60 Pet Charms.
What this means for you: always-useful items will eventually move to the new currency, so you don't feel obligated to do older content. If you still need pets from older content, they are purchasable with that content's charms.

Spend those charms!
Will we see a polished-to-shiny charm conversion option? Much like how you can buy older inks with new inks?
There will not be a conversion, nor will you lose them.
05/24/2018 04:58 PMPosted by Muffinus
There will not be a conversion, nor will you lose them.

I think he means the ability to trade new charms in for old ones like you do at ink vendors for inscription.
I just wish we could get account data so I could test battle pet stuff on Beta. I don't fancy having to relevel all my pets again, but I do really want to test out things.
Good lord, could they have made this more complicated. Shiny vs Polished vs regular vs ???? I dont even know
So it sounds like if we want to use the tokens we have now for items that will grant levels to pets, or raise their quality to rare, we need to buy them now. Otherwise the current Pet Charms (soon to be Shiny Pet Charms) will become useless for that purpose. Is this correct?
05/24/2018 04:52 PMPosted by Muffinus
What this means for you: always-useful items will eventually move to the new currency, so you don't feel obligated to do older content. If you still need pets from older content, they are purchasable with that content's charms.

Spend those charms!

While the transparency on this... bizarre change is appreciated, this feels so much like “counter the too-serious raider” type design. I didn’t realize that pet battles were such “srs bsns” that the evergreen nature of the feature had to be reined in “for our own good” haha!
05/24/2018 05:24 PMPosted by Yell
Good lord, could they have made this more complicated. Shiny vs Polished vs regular vs ???? I dont even know

With all due respect, it is pretty simple

Shiny = Legion and earlier expansions
Polished = BFA
05/24/2018 05:51 PMPosted by Lysjana
05/24/2018 05:24 PMPosted by Yell

With all due respect, it is pretty simple

Polished = BFA

It seems like they are still splitting the currencies with stuff still purchaseable with the old currency, but newer stuff needing the new currency. IMO it would be a lot simpler to just use the new currency for everything and have a conversion for the old currency.
Make sure to spend all your Marks of Honor, incoming Marks of Shiny Honor next patch.

Ready to collect timewalking badges all over again, Badges of Shiny Timewalking are coming soon
05/24/2018 05:59 PMPosted by Yell
Make sure to spend all your Marks of Honor, incoming Marks of Shiny Honor next patch.

Ready to collect timewalking badges all over again, Badges of Shiny Timewalking are coming soon

Inb4 “Shiny gold”
05/24/2018 05:59 PMPosted by Yell

It means you won't have to hoard the current badges? I don't see how that's bad
New stuff, new currency..
Timewalking is something different entirely, it's almost as if you're looking for something to complain about intentionally
I honestly don't see the point of making pet battles more convoluted?

If someone wants to farm the old content that is just as difficult as the new content, why punish them? If someone wants to spend their new content spoils on buying that pet they missed out on 2 xpacs ago, why not?

Someone will have all the new stuff day one no matter whether you make the currency change or not, so why treat pet battling as such serious business instead of a fun minigame?
I can see the argument for moving leveling and upgrade stones to a new currency. I still think its a TERRIBLE idea. If I have 5000 pet charms right now why do I need to dump them all on leveling stones before I even want to use them?

The following items should absolutely NOT be new currency only.

Pet Bandages - granted these aren't that useful for most players but if someone new to pet battles wants to play why force them to use their brand new currency on the most generic thing?

Magical pet Biscuit (big pets) - COSMETIC
Magical Mini treat (lil pets) - COSMETIC
Perky Pug costumes - COSMETIC

You need to leave these items on the broken isle dalaran vendors as available with Shiny pet charms. You can implement new vendors in BFA where they can cost the new currency.
05/24/2018 05:51 PMPosted by Lysjana
Polished = BFA

To be more specific:

Existing Pet Charms renamed to Shiny Pet Charms.
  • Shiny = used to buy Pre-BFA stuff, but ONLY the vendor battle pets and Mirror toys
  • Polished = used to buy BFA vendor pets (will need ~6k to buy them all atm) + all battlestones (regardless of expansion) + any other items sold by Lio the Lioness and Serr'ah (yes, even the vanity items)
Why is this even a thing that exists?
Sooooooo, will we be able to level new BfA with old Ultimate and Flawless stones, or not?