Voice Chat Now Available for Testing

Battle for Azeroth Alpha General Discussion
Voice chat in the Battle For Azeroth Alpha is now enabled and ready for early testing and feedback.

You'll find the voice chat controls along the left side of the text chat window, and you can configure your devices and push-to-talk in the Voice Chat section of System settings.

Please feel free to post your feedback on this new feature here in this thread.

Thank you!
I logged in just to see this and I don't think it's been enabled yet. Says it cannot connect to a voice chat server

https://i.gyazo.com/3d468a6d9fb4566631ff0d110475fa89.png
04/13/2018 02:30 PMPosted by Delritha
I logged in just to see this and I don't think it's been enabled yet. Says it cannot connect to a voice chat server

Worked for me when joining raid. Seems clear enough, but I haven't experimented with it much. Only big issue I've had is that it's difficult to distinguish who's talking, since the text displaying their name is relatively thin, and has no background to it. Needs a shaded tint like the chat box to better distinguish the name.
It's worth noting that voice chat should currently only be available for players in a party channel.

We'll post here with any notable changes as we test.
04/13/2018 02:30 PMPosted by Delritha

Did you get a warning window upon reaching the loading screen during character login for your new session? I had that happen when the servers came back up. I didn't really look at it because I was focused on getting inside Uldir, but I think the error was about a certain codec being either invalid or nonexistent.
I had to run the WowVoiceProxy executable to let it pass my firewall but after that the mic icon popped up in raid.
Works well enough in 5mans, not tried it in raids yet. Clarity leaves a little to be desired but probably some other factors involved (server latency, hardware quality, etc).

Not sure it'll be a replacement for skype/teamspeak/discord/mumble/whatever yet, but iut's lightyears ahead of the old in game voice client *shudder*
Anyone have any voice chat custom channels set up we can join? Would be nice way to test out quality

EDIT: Oh, just read the second blue post, well thats unforunate, IMO it should be available in raids & custom channels as well.
I get cannot connect to voice chat server even when not grouped, but this was before the reboot 5 mins ago.

Edit:
Post server reboot, chat is working fine in scenario with 10 peeps in it.
04/13/2018 03:01 PMPosted by Huntapub
I get cannot connect to voice chat server even when not grouped, but this was before the reboot 5 mins ago.

Try your firewall settings, I've had to enable a few WoW applications manually through mine.
Is there an off button anywhere?
04/13/2018 03:34 PMPosted by Sorelai

Next to your chat box on the left there is a Deafen and Mute button.
Really poor audio quality settings/codec. Push to talk doesn't work sometimes, making you need to press it several times until it works.
The biggest hit against this currently is the audio quality. Sure, some of this can be blamed on an individuals hardware or internet - but some people I've played with a little regularly for dungeon content on a discord tried it out and it was awful. To put it into context - we've met on discord voice before with no audio problems -

But with this voice chat in a dungeon we ran today - Tol Dagur - We ended up scrapping the idea to utilize it after numerous issues. These include the Push To Talk not always working, and interfering with abilities. For example, if you use Alt for your push to talk, your abilities will begin to cast as if you have yourself targeted [this is the default setting for forcing self casting].

The biggest changes I would like to see come to this system, and honestly required for me to personally forgo discord / ts / etc - Audio Quality and Making it so your Push to Talk hotkey can never interfere with your abilties, or be considered a "modifier" for targeting purposes. The game should not recognize the button is pressed past the the Push To Talk for vocalizing.
Seems that its entirely possible to have this bound to something that is already bound to an ability.

Unsure if this is intended but it is probably not a great idea.
The "lost connection to the voice chat service. Can't connect to a voice chat server right now. Please try again later." persistent and CONSTANT message on the screen since logging in is losing its sparkle. Wish it would go away :)

This.

You present Voice Chat as something that is desirable. It not always is. There must be a way to communicate that you are not able or willing to join voice chat.

Examples: It could be because you are currently in an environment where voice chat isn't going to work. Or maybe because you are hard of hearing. Or maybe because you are not comfortable speaking or listening to the language in use (even if you can communicate in it in writing just fine). Or maybe you are just not in the mood... Or maybe you just don't have a working microphone nearby.
Of equal importance to all the above stated is the potential for abuse. Had someone in a Motherlode I was tanking last night just screaming the N-word for 5 minutes straight. Eventually muted them and they got vote kicked but yeah it’s annoying.
Is there a way to toggle the join request for voice chat notification off?
04/14/2018 12:06 AMPosted by Yocoliah

This.

You present Voice Chat as something that is desirable. It not always is. There must be a way to communicate that you are not able or willing to join voice chat.

Examples: It could be because you are currently in an environment where voice chat isn't going to work. Or maybe because you are hard of hearing. Or maybe because you are not comfortable speaking or listening to the language in use (even if you can communicate in it in writing just fine). Or maybe you are just not in the mood... Or maybe you just don't have a working microphone nearby.

Or you simply don’t want to voice chat with random strangers.

Or you would rather use one of the dozens of dedicated chat systems available already.