Alpha

UI and Macro
For those that haven't seen, addons are enabled in the latest alpha.
Let the fun begin.

I look forward to revising what I have so far - but I'm not digging into Alpha just yet.

Got too much on my plate now and I'm already having to make energy decisions about how I spend my day.
Bare in mind guys - this build only went live on Alpha 4 hours ago and there has been major changes in the Lua API backend.

Don't expect your addons to work right away. Be patient with the addon authors while they update their addons. Depending on how extensive the Lua changes are they may elect to put out beta versions of their addons.

Once there are beta versions out and you get Lua errors with their addons please be sure to get the error report to the addon authors either via comments on their addon page or via their ticketing system. This will assist them in updating their addons for when BfA eventually comes out.
Sage words indeed Bluspacecow. I should have noted my post was intended mainly for authors, there are some significant changes.
04/19/2018 10:10 PMPosted by Fizzlemizz
Sage words indeed Bluspacecow. I should have noted my post was intended mainly for authors, there are some significant changes.

Any idea if there's a thread somewhere on wowace , curseforge or wowinterface discussing exactly what those changes are ?

I know Kehymo (sp?) usually puts a thread up on wow interface but I couldn't find one :(
Nothing yet. As you said this is new and I'm not sure wether Ketho is still constant for the Diffs (townlong-yak.com maybe), times are changing.

From my initial steps, things like zero byte .lua files registered in the .toc/xml includes are now notified as "not able to load".

Events that are not "known" (out of date, malformed, bogus) raise an error.

The addon messaging system has changed (I'm not how much or if it's temporary), the SendAddonMessage, RegisterAddonMessagePrefix functions are currently not available (nil).
While we're discussing documenting changes, do you think we could drop the somewhat outdated "UI Changes coming in 7.2" sticky and maybe replace it with either something more generic ("Recent UI Changes" comes to mind) or with something specific for the upcoming (or even current) game release level?
04/19/2018 11:44 PMPosted by Fizzlemizz
The addon messaging system has changed (I'm not how much or if it's temporary), the SendAddonMessage, RegisterAddonMessagePrefix functions are currently not available (nil).
I'm quietly voting for keeping this, despite the pain it would cause.

AIE would die.

In all the many multiverses out there, there isn't one where that isn't a good thing.

<grin>
I absolutely 100% accept that the authors need to work on the alpha stuff and don't expect things working right away. Is there typically a place where a list of working addons would be?
SendAddonMessage
RegisterAddonMessagePrefix
IsAddonMessagePrefixRegistered
GetRegisteredAddonMessagePrefixes

are now
C_ChatInfo.SendAddonMessage
C_ChatInfo.RegisterAddonMessagePrefix
C_ChatInfo.IsAddonMessagePrefixRegistered
C_ChatInfo.GetRegisteredAddonMessagePrefixes

(Credit ebonyfaye@wowinterface)
04/20/2018 08:09 AMPosted by Adamology
I absolutely 100% accept that the authors need to work on the alpha stuff and don't expect things working right away. Is there typically a place where a list of working addons would be?

No
It's not an organized thing. There is no licensing, certification, or centralized marketplace like Apple or Google has. And while Blizz makes the API and there really isn't any support options through them even when the Blizz API itself has a bug.

Also, Blizz doesn't allow addon developers to charge for their addons and those guys still have to work a real job that pays the rent. Still they are usually really good about updating, fixing, enhancing and they will do what's needed when Real Life gives them a chance.
04/20/2018 08:49 AMPosted by Zensunim
SendAddonMessage
RegisterAddonMessagePrefix
IsAddonMessagePrefixRegistered
GetRegisteredAddonMessagePrefixes

are now
C_ChatInfo.SendAddonMessage
C_ChatInfo.RegisterAddonMessagePrefix
C_ChatInfo.IsAddonMessagePrefixRegistered
C_ChatInfo.GetRegisteredAddonMessagePrefixes

(Credit ebonyfaye@wowinterface)
That'll be incredibly simple to adapt into existing addons by localizing them into the addon data under the old names.
04/20/2018 08:58 AMPosted by Tinkerizmo
04/20/2018 08:09 AMPosted by Adamology

No
It's not an organized thing. There is no licensing, certification, or centralized marketplace like Apple or Google has. And while Blizz makes the API and there really isn't any support options through them even when the Blizz API itself has a bug.

I appreciate the response, but you're incorrect on just saying "No"

https://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/cat156.html

Thank you, though!
<span class="truncated">...</span>
No

I appreciate the response, but you're incorrect on just saying "No"

https://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/cat156.html

Thank you, though!
Tinks is correct. There is no canonical list of working addons or references into the Blizzard API or even clear documentation of what changes from patch to patch (let alone from XPAC to XPAC).

None.

www.wowinterface.com does a reasonable job of documenting some aspects of the API, but it's neither comprehensive in what information it does present nor complete in describing even the profiles of all of the available API functions.

www.gamepedia.com's API documention is even worse - rendered nearly useless by badly broken indexing - pages I KNOW are there, that through gyrations involving finding pages that have links to them, I can PROVE are there, simply do not show up in explicit searches of the site in their own search box.

https://www.townlong-yak.com/framexml/live/ is probably the closest to anything canonical but has no meaningful indexing to its content. The best bet there is to download the entire thing and use something like Notepad++ with its search in files feature to look at examples of how different API functions are used.

There are at least three books out there that purport to describe the WoW API environment but they're all very much out of date (and I don't think it would be possible to stay current given the rate at which Blizzard makes non-trivial changes to API functions).

www.wowprogramming.com used to be a very-well indexed site (tied to the most popular of those three books), but very recently they've done something horrible to their site structure that has rendered virtually every google search result you get back from them useless - dead links. Their internal search facility is garbage. It's a case of "If you know what you're looking for, you can find it," but generally, if you know what you're looking for, you don't need to find it. Something called "Fugitive Information" in a management information class I took many years ago.

Digging into existing addons that work is a good way of figuring out what's going on, but with the rise of Ace3 and a few other de facto standard libraries, what you're learning isn't the Blizzard API, but the Ace3 API - something I've avoided as much as possible - nothing against Ace3, but I'm trying to learn the Blizzard API.

Your best bet, truly, is to familiarize yourself with Lua (and XML if you want to go that way). Define what you want to do as precisely as you can (maybe not write up a formal document about this like I do, but make a list of things you want the addon to do at least). Find a good template addon (I can provide one if you like). Start adding functionality incrementally.

When you run into problems, come here.

We're very good at solving problems, debugging issues, spotting bad habits that'll get you in trouble with run-time efficiency, all sorts of things.

This forum, more than any other source, is where I have learned the most.
The in-game /API system seems to be growing and getting better with BfA although still not exactly easy to use. That said, I'd rather have access to the information than a pretty but empty dialog. It currently has at least one bug and some out-of-date information is still there but it is early stages and the API may change between now and release.

Lots of information there.
Be nice to see some official support for the API.
Wowpedia's API changes page -

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Patch_8.0.1/API_changes

Ellypse's API changes observations -

https://github.com/Ellypse/wow-ui-source/wiki/Battle-for-Azeroth-alpha-UI-changes-observations
04/20/2018 07:37 PMPosted by Bluspacecow
https://github.com/Ellypse/wow-ui-source/wiki/Battle-for-Azeroth-alpha-UI-changes-observations
This bit:
New APIs
C_Spell used to get data from spell IDs. You can check DoesSpellExist(spellID) and IsSpellDataCached(spellID), and you can RequestLoadSpellData(spellID) (there is no direct access to the spell info in the API as for now, you still have to use the older functions).
Is gonna give me some gas with my new addon, but I'm pretty sure I've got my code compartmentalized well enough to make the adaptation simple enough. I'll have to wait for it to hit before I do anything with it.
FYI for anyone coming here trying to find alpha versions of addons this thread here is compiling a list of addons that work on alpha -

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20762167742?page=1
Anyone know how to use the new map APIs to replicate the functionality of GetCurrentMapContinent()?

Doing print(C_Map.GetCurrentMapID())in Tiragarde Sound returns 895

Doing print(C_Map.GetMapInfo(895))returns table: 0000023C87B87F30

I have no idea how to parse the table information into anything useful.