Why do people think comps will carry them?

Arenas
Im not crazy good, I am average. I love playing feral, its fun. I feel like I actually have to play and adjust to my mistakes to keep advancing in the ladder. But some of the people I have played with don't think this. I am just curious as to why people think this way. If I play X, such comp will get me to x. To the people that feel/ play this way, why?
Its always been that way, it sort of works like this:

Player A and Player B both achieve 2700 cr, both are mages.

Player A:
  • Played Assass/Arcane
  • Never pressed polymorph, just cleaved an entire team
  • Didn't really do anything other than spam AE and occasionally land a CS
  • Probably no voiced it

• Player B:
  • Played Frost/Sub RMP
  • Had to set up x cc in order to get clean setups to land kills
  • Landed a lot of counterspells, maybe even steal + counters on hpals
  • Probably voiced it

• In this situation, almost every player would say that Mage B was the better mage between the two, and that Mage A only got to the same rating due to his/her class being incredibly broken.

Its a semi true statement in a lot of ways, the amount of effort and skill required to play an arcane mage in arcane assass is much less than the effort and skill required to play a frost mage in sub frost.

The big take away is to not allow other's thoughts of you take away from what you think is progress, its your character, you pay your $15 a month, you don't need anyone's approval.
    Sometimes some comps are just overpowered in the meta. Like beast cleave in WOTLK and how easy it was to just blow somebody up. Additionally if i remember correctly BM, Arms warrior for the first season of mop (stampede bugged and was dealing massive damage all season and arms warriors actually had a stackable buff that could one shot). There are times where some comps can carry mediocre players.

But yea, what Feyan said, its your 15 bucks do what you find fun. Rerolling just to be FOTM is pretty empty.
    I doubt you could get to 2700 as RMP without casting sheep Feyan.
    But I understand the broader point you're making.
    04/15/2018 03:41 AMPosted by Arcueid

eh the sheeping as assas/arcane is very minimal when i played it 2 times we landed kills with Cs's on healer and kidneys on main target
    04/15/2018 03:21 AMPosted by Chillmeister
    There are times where some comps can carry mediocre players.

@every destro / fdk right now
    04/15/2018 03:41 AMPosted by Arcueid

no. if you watch the NA tournaments recently they literally just get procs and kidney the kill target. hes not exaggerating
    I believe you can actually play any comp till about 2k rating if you're competent at your spec. Problem usually is finding people willing to queue something they don't see played in a tournament.
    04/15/2018 12:50 PMPosted by Suspended
    I believe you can actually play any comp till about 2k rating if you're competent at your spec. Problem usually is finding people willing to queue something they don't see played in a tournament.

you can play any comp to any rating if u know how to play it my dude
    04/15/2018 01:10 PMPosted by Sad
    04/15/2018 12:50 PMPosted by Suspended

thats where i know you from, i qd in to you and zuba and couldn't remember where i'd seen your name
    it does
    04/15/2018 01:21 PMPosted by Feyan
    04/15/2018 01:10 PMPosted by Sad

thats where i know you from, i qd in to you and zuba and couldn't remember where i'd seen your name

ya man u was actually owning us lmao good knocks always
    WHY DO PEOPLE MAKE THREADS WITH CAPS LOCK TITLES? Fixed btw.
    04/16/2018 11:00 AMPosted by Ythisens

I like you :)

who's a good yak
    Because in most cases, they already are.
    I always prefer non-meta comps. I feel you have a slight advantage, in certain cases, if the other team doesn't have an idea to successfully counter/beat your comp.

Can I buy you a beer
    Imagine playing a non sought-after spec.
    The amount of people willing to play with you is low.
    The amount of "viable" comps to play with you is low - thus reducing players to play with.

Playing at lower ratings, the common thought process is, "I havent seen that comp played before, so I won't play it".

And then you have what Feyan said, the comps/specs that take a lot of skill vs the comps/specs that take little skill.

Code of Conduct:
    Spamming or Trolling
  • Causing disturbances in forum threads, such as picking fights, making off topic posts that ruin the thread, insulting other posters
  • Making non-constructive posts
  • Reported