Alliance San'layn as a Playable Race

General Discussion
Screw high elves, if we are gonna get another model that looks like a blood elf then let it be San'layn! Being a void elf is NOT emo enough for me. I want a racial that sucks other people's blood and so I can RP as Bella whose trying to find her Edward.

In all seriousness..

It would be cool to have them as a race.

I mean I would rather have a DIFFERENT actual race, but if we are going for more elves...why not?
San'layn are just undead Blood/High Elves.

Play a Blood Elf Blood DK, because the San'layn is not a race.
03/26/2018 12:45 PMPosted by Soleros
the San'layn is not a race.

I mean..the same could be said for void elves. Right?

Blizz ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Don't get me wrong, I love my void elf. I'm just saying xD
ugh.
We already have two Elves with heavy Dark Elf themes on the Alliance. Don't need a 3rd.

If anything we need one that embraces the Wood Elf ranger theme.
The San'layn are gone. Wiped out.

We also don't need vampires. Keep the Twilight stuff to a minimum in WoW, please.
because the San'layn is not a race.

Forsaken...

And if anyone gets Undead Elves it's Horde. They've been asking for them since Vanilla.
03/26/2018 03:19 PMPosted by Mythlos
We already have two Elves with heavy Dark Elf themes on the Alliance. Don't need a 3rd.

If anything we need one that embraces the Wood Elf ranger theme.

I would say night elves fit the bill for woodelves. Aside from being dark skinned, nature is kinda
their thing right?
03/26/2018 03:21 PMPosted by Kaiyeri

[/quote]

Ohh I didnt know about that. I thought some were in Stormheim though?
You just got purple Belfs...
03/26/2018 03:26 PMPosted by Jessikah
03/26/2018 03:21 PMPosted by Kaiyeri

Ohh I didnt know about that. I thought some were in Stormheim though?
Their condition is similar to the Darkfallen, but the Darkfallen are Blood Elves. The Red Blade fleet are humans.

The Red Blade fleet of human pirates found the tomb of Lucard, who upon being woken up seeped out a mist from the ancient ruins, transforming the pirates into blood-crazed vampires. Sir Finley gave the order leader a sharp wooden stake to stab Lucard through the heart with, but it turned out to be ineffective.
Lucard is a Vrykul vampire.

So we do have NPC vampires that are human, but I'd rather not have player characters as them.
03/26/2018 03:22 PMPosted by Lux

I would say night elves fit the bill for woodelves. Aside from being dark skinned, nature is kinda
their thing right?

Well it's not like a 1:1 deal. They use nature themes (living in trees is an obvious one) but most of their culture is pretty much Dark Elf.

It's most obvious in Warcraft 3, although WoW admittedly shed a spotlight on their Wood Elf side.

Their politics/societal class for one is distinctly dark elf. It's heavily matriarchal. Their priestesses are effectively the leaders, much like Drow.

A lot of their combat fighting is inspired by the drow (glaives for example). Their druidic culture has many Dark Elf themes. Faerie Fire was one of their abilities in Warcraft 3, also a Dark Elf thing. Meditation in slumber is another one.

Not to mention their color palette and the affinity to the dark.

If I were to collate their themes I'd say:

Night Elf: Wood Elf + Dark Elf
Blood Elf: High Elf
Nightborne: Dark Elf + High Elf
Void Elves: Dark Elf

We're pretty saturated on the Dark Elf theme overall, although it's mostly on the Alliance. Wood Elves are underrepresented overall and non-existent on the Horde.

I think the biggest problem with Night Elves is that their Ranger theme is very poorly developed. Druidism/Elune are most of what we deal with, with some major themes in Sentinels/Wardens/Demon Hunters.

There's no time for them to develop it all. With the burning of Teldrassil, we're moving even further away from their Wood Elf themes.

I think a race that focuses on the ranger themes would be pretty cool.

And it's not like that High Elves didn't do that before. In fact their theme in Warcraft 2 and 3 leaned heavily in that direction. It's only been out of the spotlight in WoW, and even the Farstrider Blood Elves have pretty much languished with all the developments the Sunwell and the Fel have gotten.

There are only two more possible elves that can be added into the game at this point, in High Elves and Undead Elves (Dark Rangers/San'layn)

Alliance:
High Elf: Wood Elf + High Elf

Horde:
Forsaken/Undead Elf: Wood Elf + Dark Elf

We'd have a much better spread, with Horde getting some Wood Elf theme focus as well. I don't think adding two more elf races (to end it all) is a bad idea, and High Elves (both living and dead) are pretty much two of the most requested races overall.
Gonna need less edge on that.
03/26/2018 03:22 PMPosted by Lux

their thing right?

Well it's not like a 1:1 deal. They use nature themes (living in trees/nature magic) but most of their culture is pretty much Dark Elf.

It's most obvious in Warcraft 3, although WoW admittedly shed a spotlight on their Wood Elf side.

Their politics for one is distinctly dark elf. It's heavily matriarchal. Their priestesses are effectively the leaders, much like Drow.

A lot of their combat fighting is inspired by the drow (glaives for example). Their druidic culture has many Dark Elf themes. Faerie Fire was one of their abilities in Warcraft 3, also a Dark Elf thing. Meditation in slumber is another one.

If I were to collate their themes I'd say:

We're pretty saturated on the Dark Elf theme overall, although it's mostly on the Alliance. Wood Elves are underrepresented overall and non-existent on the Horde.

I think the biggest problem with Night Elves is that their Ranger theme is very poorly developed. Druidism/Elune are most of what we deal with, with some major themes in Sentinels/Wardens/Demon Hunters.

There's no time for them to develop it all. With the burning of Teldrassil, we're moving even further away from their Wood Elf themes.

I think a race that focuses on the ranger themes would be pretty cool.

And it's not like that High Elves didn't do that before. In fact their theme in Warcraft 2 and 3 leaned heavily in that direction. It's only been out of the spotlight in WoW, and even the Farstrider Blood Elves have pretty much languished with all the developments the Sunwell and the Fel have gotten.

There are only two more possible elves that can be added into the game at this point, in High Elves and Undead Elves (Dark Rangers/San'layn)

Alliance:
High Elf: Wood Elf + High Elf

Horde:
Forsaken High Elf: Wood Elf + Dark Elf

We'd have a much better spread, with Horde getting some Wood Elf theme focus as well. I don't think adding two more elf races (to end it all) is a bad idea, and High Elves (both living and dead) are pretty much two of the most requested races overall.

I would die for a forsaken high elf. Someone kill me and give me a rez yea?
03/26/2018 03:39 PMPosted by Jessikah

I would die for a forsaken high elf. Someone kill me and give me a rez yea?

I always imagined them having banshee themes as well.

Their racial could be Sylvanas' banshee scream from the trailer.

Banshee Scream: Release your soul, traveling to a targeted area. Drain x% hp for every target hit, and do y effect for 2 seconds. 20 yard range.

They'd basically have all the Dark Ranger aesthetic, with some additional ghost-like features like floating hair.
The San'Layn were Darkfallen, led by revenant Sin'dorei princelings and if they were still around(They aren't. We eradicated the last of them in Icecrown Citadel), they would not be Alliance. Lore much?
03/26/2018 03:35 PMPosted by Mythlos
One you mean. High Elves have been playable as a race since 2007.

You mentioned Warcraft III so I assumed you played it. You should know that the Blood Elves ARE the High Elves.
Play a Blood Elf Blood DK, because the San'layn is not a race.

Well if we wanna go down this slippery slope, then Forsaken isn't a race either...

Neither are the worgen....

Or the Lightforged...

Or the Mag'har...

Or the Dark Irons...

or... or... You know what? Maybe Blizzard shouldn't throw the word 'race' around so carelessly.

Most of the above are nothing but cursed/altered versions of already existing races.
03/26/2018 03:56 PMPosted by Orphais
Lore much?

Nope.
I'm all for playable vampires. Probably won't be the San'layn, but hopefully Blood Thane Lucard's court in Stormheim is a sign of things to come.

If WoW ever adds anything akin to Skyrim's Vampire Lord, I will be one happy puppy indeed.