"Only one of us wanted this war." - Anduin

Story Forum
04/05/2018 09:52 PMPosted by Veloran
Possibilities taken from a single cinematic.

"We defeated the Burning Legion."

As long as Sargeras lives, so does the Legion.

While a freed Sargeras could unite the Legion, Sargeras is currently imprisoned. Furthermore many of the senior leadership of the Legion is dead. Odds are the surviving Lords of the Burning Legion will battle for supremacy in order to be Sargeras's heir.
I mean, he's just ... wrong. At the very least the Alliance has Jaina, Greymane and Rogers who have all been out and out warhawks for sometime now.
I think this is a conversation between just Anduin and Sylvanas.

In which case, he's actually right.
04/05/2018 11:31 PMPosted by Jayimluz
I mean, he's just ... wrong. At the very least the Alliance has Jaina, Greymane and Rogers who have all been out and out warhawks for sometime now.
unless he is saying between him and sylvanas, she wanted this war, which is true from what we can see in the demo of the new book
Sylvanas is the one who wants the war because her people, the undead, can't procreate. Dead humans are the only way to make more undead. She has had her own motives all along even before the undead allied with the horde.
04/05/2018 09:52 PMPosted by Veloran

"We defeated the Burning Legion."

As long as Sargeras lives, so does the Legion.

While a freed Sargeras could unite the Legion, Sargeras is currently imprisoned. Furthermore many of the senior leadership of the Legion is dead. Odds are the surviving Lords of the Burning Legion will battle for supremacy in order to be Sargeras's heir.

Did we actually kill any of the Dreadlords? I think one in the Paladin and Priest order campaign, but aside from that I'm not sure. They followed the Void before Sargeras, they could reunite the Legion under it again.

Moreover Sargeras is a one-man Burning Crusade all on his own. While he's alive this is a temporary reprieve at best.

Also, low-key here, the Anduin comic absolutely confirms that the Legion, in some form or another, persists into the future. The narration in that story is from the perspective of Olduin, written to match the flashback the story takes place in, and mentions that the war against the Legion is still continuing and that his people still must fight Demons.
04/05/2018 09:15 PMPosted by Valko
"Goblins aren't the most charming people"

This ones definitely a lie.

Yeah they are just full of charm and innocence. You should definitely trust a business deal with Goblins
04/06/2018 12:34 AMPosted by Gashy
Yeah they are just full of charm and innocence. You should definitely trust a business deal with Goblins
No one said anything about innocence.

Goblins are plenty charming, it makes it easier for them to sell you rocks painted like gold.
04/06/2018 12:23 AMPosted by Veloran

Also, low-key here, the Anduin comic absolutely confirms that the Legion, in some form or another, persists into the future. The narration in that story is from the perspective of Olduin, written to match the flashback the story takes place in, and mentions that the war against the Legion is still continuing and that his people still must fight Demons.

There was no hint on what they're fighting. It could be army of Old Gods which is more likely.
04/06/2018 12:37 AMPosted by Lovebreaker

There was no hint on what they're fighting. It could be army of Old Gods which is more likely.

The narration begins with Olduin looking at his father's letter, which itself connects those current events to the time period of Legion. The blue text boxes are written in a way that show his age (Carrying Varian's message since the day he became king, how he dreamed of his coronation "as a boy"), and they mention that they are still fighting the war against the Legion and the Demons.

Also, considering it takes place in the future, the Legion and the Void might not be mutually exclusive by then.

Or you know something happens between now and the Burning of Tedrassil that will make Anduin think it was all Slyvanas. Don't forget, she wants something in Stormwind, what that is we dont know yet.
04/06/2018 01:09 AMPosted by Zerde

Or you know something happens between now and the Burning of Tedrassil that will make Anduin think it was all Slyvanas. Don't forget, she wants something in Stormwind, what that is we dont know yet.

It better not be any of the people buried there

Or as usual you are just trying to use that lily white paint on the Alliance as always! Seriously dude anytime anyone event hints there might be a slight shade of grey to the Alliance you pull out that paint bucket. Get over it, the Alliance isn't perfect.

*Edit to Add* Yes, yes I know Hurr Durr Sylvannas is Ebilz. Not denying that or the Horde is not perfect but for the sake of the light get a grip. The Alliance has warmongers (Genn, Jaina, Rogers) and has been corrupted by imposters (Onyxia, the Dreadlords, etc) so while its possible he is saying it to Sylvie it could just as easily be that the creator of the cinematic purposely transitioned to the shot of her smiling to give that impression. The whole 'wait for the book' isn't always the go to answer here as this appears to take place in game.
Don't forget, she wants something in Stormwind, what that is we dont know yet.
Maybe she wants to stop Stormwind from attemping to invade UC a third time? Obviously this fails though, as nobody can stop Stormwind from invading every single zone on 3 worlds!
We need context guys.

“Only one of us wanted this war” is between the two of them. As in just Sylvanas and Anduin adressing the issue.

Anduin is not saying Sylvanas is the only person in Azeroth who wanted the war, he is saying that he never wanted war and she did.

Not that I think its the case, but the thought occurred to me of how weird it would be if she wanted to "save" Arthas. If she thought that existence was so hellish that not even that little boy (it was little boy arthas wasn't it?) deserved it.
04/06/2018 09:18 AMPosted by Shippyship

Not that I think its the case, but the thought occurred to me of how weird it would be if she wanted to "save" Arthas. If she thought that existence was so hellish that not even that little boy (it was little boy arthas wasn't it?) deserved it.
She said it was a battle both she and Nathanos longed for. Even assuming Sylvanas might care about saving Arthas, which I doubt, Nathanos isn't gonna give a care.
Moreover Sargeras is a one-man Burning Crusade all on his own. While he's alive this is a temporary reprieve at best.

He's imprisoned by the Pantheon. How would he escape? Also he is/was a bodyless spirit.

I thought that vision was him fighting a new threat, like the Void.
04/06/2018 12:12 AMPosted by Itsakilt
Sylvanas is the one who wants the war because her people, the undead, can't procreate. Dead humans are the only way to make more undead.

Humans die all the time, though, not just in war.
If he's talking to Sylvanas, then "only one of us [between us two] wanted this war" isn't wrong.