PSA: How to Block Warcraft Logs

General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 Next
03/30/2018 07:56 AMPosted by Reshyk
03/30/2018 07:17 AMPosted by Whiteknight
Funny thing. I don't care about people seeing my parse because I have nothing to hide. I'm not ashamed.

I average purple which is quite acceptable.
And that’s the problem with trying to starve out “elitists” by hiding logs. You’d need to deny them access to EVERYONE. Not just gray parsers. Not just casuals. Everyone. I doubt you could create a movement on this scale on the first place but even if you could, if only the bottom 50% block data you gain nothing. These people wouldn’t have been invited anyway. Blocking the data doesn’t change that outcome. And the people who don’t block will be showing good enough parses to get invited. The average group-maker’s life isn’t changed.

TL:DR; I feel like the only people who would join you and block their data are the ones who aren’t using it correctly and wouldn’t be invited in the first place. Everyone else is improving and doesn’t care about your statement.
Where you are flawed you arbitrarily picked the bottom 50%. If you get enough players on the high end to block it, I can guarantee you things would change.
03/30/2018 06:54 AMPosted by Rrayy
03/30/2018 05:56 AMPosted by Werbatim

Why would it bother the 'elitists' if they can't see your logs? You are getting the decline either way.
If enough people were to block them to the point elitist raiders couldn't find enough people actually using them, I guarantee you it would bother them.

If you actually think thats possible, then you need to step out of your bubble. Humans thrive on competition. Even if they're not competing with others, they'll compete with themselves to out do the man they were yesterday. You will never get enough people to stop to even put a dent that could only be noticed under a microscope. You're arguing against nature.
03/30/2018 05:45 AMPosted by Rastlin
03/30/2018 05:44 AMPosted by Kirela
Um... how does this work exactly? If I go raid with my guild this week and I turn off my logs does it just hide me in the guilds logs like I wasn't even there?

Ye gods that sounds weird as heck. I'm sorry OP that you can't be proud of your logs and you have to hide them. I guess it's good that players have options though...

It is MY DATA and it is PRIVATE and NO ONES BUSINESS.

I can look at my own logs of course.

Bottom Line: My Data is PRIVATE.
Oh boy...you must be new to the internet.
03/30/2018 07:52 AMPosted by Rastlin
<span class="truncated">...</span>

See, rastlin you aren't worried about privacy or anything like that. You're just mad because you get excluded from things and you want any opportunity to get carried when you should be looking at yourself saying 'dang, I need to get better'. You feel you deserve to get into whatever group you want no matter if you're good or bad simply because you're here playing the game and paying 15 bucks a month. I'm so disgusted.

And with that I'm done.

I earned AoTc.

My HAPPINESS is that others get the chance.

No it’s not. This is pure selfishness. You are doing it for your own gain so stop pretending to do it for others.
Gather round children and let me give you a word of advice.

Opting out of a system isn't going to stop people from using and since the most successful players use it you simply won't be given a chance.

Spend effort on improving rather then spending effort to hide your flaws.
<span class="truncated">...</span>You haven't seen elitist raiders in action then.

*rolls eyes*

How could you know what an elitist raider even is when you have zero raiding experience?
Easy. This isn't my only toon(Hilarious that those that use the armory as shaming tactic continue to believe people only have one toon, which is the only way this tactic could possibly work). Also, I have been in guilds and have witnessed it. In chat and voice chat.
03/30/2018 08:02 AMPosted by Primalmatter

Opting out of a system isn't going to stop people from using and since the most successful players use it you simply won't be given a chance.

As I mentioned, an "Opt IN" would be preferable.
I feel a little bad responding to troll bait, but this would be a hoot in reality.

"Sir, I saw you just purchased a a drill, could I interest you in some bits to go with it!"

THAT IS MY PRIVATE INFORMATION, YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO KNOW THAT!
03/30/2018 07:58 AMPosted by Yrenyos
03/30/2018 06:54 AMPosted by Rrayy
...If enough people were to block them to the point elitist raiders couldn't find enough people actually using them, I guarantee you it would bother them.

If you actually think thats possible, then you need to step out of your bubble. Humans thrive on competition. Even if they're not competing with others, they'll compete with themselves to out do the man they were yesterday. You will never get enough people to stop to even put a dent that could only be noticed under a microscope. You're arguing against nature.
Anything is possible, however remote.
03/30/2018 07:57 AMPosted by Whiteknight
03/30/2018 07:52 AMPosted by Rastlin

I earned AoTc.

Well hiding your parse only screams grey. I assume you were carried. Or you bought it.[/quote]

No, I would never pay a silver for a carry.

NEVER. I believe that is CHEATING.

Not sure how to prove wasn't "carried". But I got AoTc by playing the game. And without using the fake AoTc add on.

But why do YOU care anyway?

How does MY gameplay effect YOU?
03/30/2018 08:04 AMPosted by Rrayy
03/30/2018 07:58 AMPosted by Yrenyos

Anything is possible, however remote.

No, it's not.
03/30/2018 08:05 AMPosted by Rastlin
Not sure how to prove wasn't "carried".

Funny you should mention that, there's this website called Warcraftlogs.com....
03/30/2018 08:03 AMPosted by Rastlin

As long as groups can Opt OUT of inviting those that don’t use it I’m fine. Like give me an option to not see people who opted out of logs when I’m looking to fill a slot
03/30/2018 08:03 AMPosted by Rastlin

And as mentioned before all you are doing is admitting you're terrible.

Instead of complaining about a system that reveals your flaws why not actually get better?

Numerous resources and online videos.

I use no healing addons and manage to parse purple. get gud.
03/30/2018 08:06 AMPosted by Yrenyos
03/30/2018 08:04 AMPosted by Rrayy
...Anything is possible, however remote.

No, it's not.
Yes it is. Anything is possible if enough people put their minds to it.
03/30/2018 08:03 AMPosted by Rrayy

*rolls eyes*

How could you know what an elitist raider even is when you have zero raiding experience?
Easy. This isn't my only toon(Hilarious that those that use the armory as shaming tactic continue to believe people only have one toon, which is the only way this tactic could possibly work). Also, I have been in guilds and have witnessed it. In chat and voice chat.

From your attitude I'm not surprised you don't work well with others.
03/30/2018 07:58 AMPosted by Rrayy
03/30/2018 07:56 AMPosted by Reshyk
... And that’s the problem with trying to starve out “elitists” by hiding logs. You’d need to deny them access to EVERYONE. Not just gray parsers. Not just casuals. Everyone. I doubt you could create a movement on this scale on the first place but even if you could, if only the bottom 50% block data you gain nothing. These people wouldn’t have been invited anyway. Blocking the data doesn’t change that outcome. And the people who don’t block will be showing good enough parses to get invited. The average group-maker’s life isn’t changed.

TL:DR; I feel like the only people who would join you and block their data are the ones who aren’t using it correctly and wouldn’t be invited in the first place. Everyone else is improving and doesn’t care about your statement.
Where you are flawed you arbitrarily picked the bottom 50%. If you get enough players on the high end to block it, I can guarantee you things would change.
I picked the bottom 50% because I’m skeptical that the top 50% would go along with it. Those are the kind of people who want to get into groups, who know how to get the most out of their class, and they want people to know that they can perform.

It basically comes down to this, if you want to join someone’s group and they ask, “why should I take you over anyone else?” Which option will you pick? Your choices are: “I have no reason for you to do that” or “Here’s my resume. I kick !@#. *mic drop*”
...Easy. This isn't my only toon(Hilarious that those that use the armory as shaming tactic continue to believe people only have one toon, which is the only way this tactic could possibly work). Also, I have been in guilds and have witnessed it. In chat and voice chat.

From your attitude I'm not surprised you don't work well with others.
I work just fine with others. Never assume like that.
03/30/2018 07:56 AMPosted by Rastlin
the quote
Again, you are arguing against a utopia vs reality.

If you got nothing to hide, you gain nothing by acting otherwise. I have seen plenty of youtube videos of obstinate donkeyhats who make even basic traffic stops a hassle for cops arguing their rights.

Spoiler: It never goes well for the fools (who often ARE fighting the cops because they have expired tags or licenses). If you got nothing to hide, your best bet is to comply and not try and play the "muh rights" card.

Same with logs. Like it or not, hiding your logs is going to be assumed as you having something to hide. You can posture all you want, but we dont live in a utopia. Same thing as a someone on trial for murder who pleads the 5th when questioned. You arent arguing your innocence since it is assumed an innocent person would argue their innocence.

My reply

The 5th amendment is one of our most basic, and PRECIOUS, rights.

edit: the quotes were all messed up[/quote]

I am a realist. I care about how things work in practice and not in a book.

I could drive myself mad if I took my current job and look at all the things done wrong by the books. Design decisions mind you. Like why a table was created and set up the way it was, coding decisions, etc. All made by people who arent me and wasnt the theoretical best way.

But in the end, it may be the equivalent of duct tape, it met the need for that time.

I am not gonna get into a constitutional debate. I am not arguing the merits of the 5th amendment. The plain and simple fact is if you are accused of a crime and you invoke it, you are giving people a message of guilt without saying the words. If being innocent but pleading the 5th tickles your fancy, have at it. Dont be surprised though when it doesnt end well for you

Same thing I would tell my theoretical kids as the whitest of white guys...if confronted by a cop, you do exactly what they say when they say to do it. They ask for information, you give it. They demand to look through your car or search your pockets, you let them. You utter 1 word about "you cant do that cause muh rights" and I'll kick your donkeys myself. The goal is to survive the encounter and then seek retribution for rights violated later.