Why the Mage Tower really kills my enjoyment

General Discussion
Prev 1 15 16 17 Next
Like I stated, I agree with the removal.
What I don't agree with is the limited access to it at this point in the expansion.
At least with MoP, and WoD challenge dungeons, you could queue up whenever.
Yes, take it out with the release of BFA, but remove the nethershard cost and keep the tower up.
If Blizzard needs logic to go ahead with that, we pushed em off the beach and out of Azeroth, stormed and rampaged across their world, slaughtered their upper rank, and defeated Sargeras. I seriously doubt the straglers left are so angry that they come back to destroy the damn mage tower.
They maked tower like a lot of the end game content was design for the minority of the population that plays all the time or are hardcore.
04/12/2018 02:53 PMPosted by Innorruk
What I don't agree with is the limited access to it at this point in the expansion.
Yes, take it out with the release of BFA, but remove the nethershard cost and keep the tower up.
If Blizzard needs logic to go ahead with that, we pushed em off the beach and out of Azeroth, stormed and rampaged across their world, slaughtered their upper rank, and defeated Sargeras. I seriously doubt the straglers left are so angry that they come back to destroy the damn mage tower.

I disagree, Blizzard keeps removing content like it means something instead of leaving it for years to come forbplayers to consume. They just have no clue that players play their own characters and want their rewards and do not care what anyone one else has.

They are forgotten as soon as they are seen.

So stick with that vision Blizzard and how are those subscriptions going again?
04/12/2018 03:07 PMPosted by Synthor
They maked tower like a lot of the end game content was design for the minority of the population that plays all the time or are hardcore.

That's the thing, it's not a lot of content.

There are so many cosmetics in the game. It's only a small fraction that ends up being time/challenge-exclusive.

Between people who like exclusives and people who don't, isn't that a decent compomise? The vast majority of stuff isn't exclusive (for players like OP), but a few things are (for players not like OP). OP's asking for 100% of rewards to function the way they want, other players be darned, just because.
I hear you OP. I wish it would be available when the game is easier. I think I could eventually beat it on some toons, but I just don't have the patience or temperament. I don't think my computer would last....or I would quit the game altogether.

Also, for the toons I might be able to complete it, I don't really care about the appearances.

So I choose not to do it, knowing that I won't get those appearances.

It's too bad though because the Outlaw Rogue appearance is just so awesome (though there is a severe lack of leather pirate tmog looks to go with the swords...for whatever reason only clothies can be pirates).
04/12/2018 01:20 PMPosted by Malvalen
04/11/2018 05:48 PMPosted by Destrala
-The cosmetics should stay available. Make an achievement that expires which shows a player completed the challenge before it was outdated. I would even be fine with making the cutoff prior to the release of Argus, as the common consensus is that gear scaling trivialized the challenges to some degree.

This is what was done with the green fire for Warlocks. You can still obtain it, it's a cool cosmetic, but you just don't get the achievement if you didn't complete it before the end of MoP. I don't see why this couldn't also be a think for the Mage Tower.

I was able to get green fire before WoD. I'm usually the top healer in my raid group. I don't think I'm bad at the game, but the Mage Tower challenges seem to have proven me wrong.

Green fire wasnt the challenge mode for MoP. Green fire is a flavor quest. Hunters have one to for Gara.

MoP had actual challenge modes. So did WoD. You know.... those challenges for cosmetic armor/weapons that you purposely didnt mention? That everyone here is ignoring? Because that wouldnt fit your narrative to remember those would it?

Guess what? Both MoP and WoD challenge modes were removed. Just like Legions mage tower.
This mindset is not only toxic, but divisive. I don't feel it is in Blizzard's best interests to encourage behavior that divides the community. To be honest, I've held off on posting about this for some time specifically because of the rather toxic nonconstructive nature these threads bring out in people.

Are you kidding me? Quit being such a brainwashed sjw. There will always be things that differentiate people. How you're comparing the mage tower to blizzard being divisive is astounding mental gymnastics. Just go away.
04/12/2018 03:11 PMPosted by Synthor

I disagree, Blizzard keeps removing content like it means something instead of leaving it for years to come forbplayers to consume. They just have no clue that players play their own characters and want their rewards and do not care what anyone one else has.

If removing items that you aren't skilled enough to obtain makes you want to quit why are you still around? "They are forgotten as soon as they are seen" isn't going to get any of these rewards mailed to you. If they are that forgettable you won't mind not having them.
04/12/2018 03:11 PMPosted by Synthor

Considering this is the 3rd xpac where they had challenge modes that they removed at the end of the xpac, I think they're doing just fine. Legion was one of their more popular xpacs.....2 xpacs after challenge modes became a thing.

Oh, did I just burn your argument to the ground? So sorry.
My experience with the Mage Tower

Oh, cool quest set up. One for each artifact. Skippy do, talk to a couple people. Oh hey, Dragonlance reference, cool. Ladee da. Mage Tower? Oh, cool, finish that set up. Teleport me away Dearie.

Initiate talky bit. WHOOMP!

I'm dead. What happened? Okay. Let's try this again and pay more attention to what is going on and less to the scenery. Health Stone. Soul Stone. Eat a buff. Initiate talky bit. WHOOMP!

Laughed so hard, I had to call up a friend who played and ask if they'd done this quest set yet.

It's for an appearance for your weapons. Nothing big about it. You don't need it for flight or your class mount. I could probably do it on a couple of my characters now but I'm not really that interested in the red tint to my weapon. It's not that big of a deal.

I have gone through the first stage on my alts that get Karaman. It's nice having an extra guard in the Underbelly. Hope I get to keep him when they pull the quest chain out, but I suspect not.
04/12/2018 01:49 PMPosted by Tetsubin
What does a collectible do in terms of player incentive that a rare achievement does not?

Players who enjoy challenge don't care about achievements any more than you do. They want meaninful incentives.

Offer a reward that is not an expiring cosmetic, but rather an expiring buff.

The reason you wouldn't mind missing out on achievements or buffs is because those aren't compelling rewards.

Lol right? These people are tossing out "rewards" they don't give a crap about as if it is some fair trade for those of us who did them.

"Let us have those appearances they worked so hard for and, uh, mail them a certificate or something."

We did these knowing they are going away because they are skins that are going away. Not for some shyte achievements. I don't care about achievements. My achievements could be wiped clean this minute and I wouldn't care.

Doesn't matter anyway.
Blizz said they are going away so we did them, often prioritizing them over other game activities.

So they will go away.

Full stop.

Whine all you want, but if Blizz reneged on this they lose it as any sort of retention mechanism. Don't say it isn't one because only reason I have been subbed this long was to finish MT before BfA.

I will enjoy seeing a new thread like this literally every time mage tower is up until it goes away when someone is failing so hard they feel the need to come and cry on the forums. You will have had 17 months or so to get the ones you want when it finally goes. Only person holding you back from that is you and your poor time management or skill. That is literally it. And no I don't care about the outliers who are away in the peace corps on a 2 year deployment, who are blind and have to play the game by brail and having their service dog steer their toon, or some dude who lost all 4 limbs in a tragic smelting accident and has to lick their keyboard to play. Outside of those you are your limiting factor.
Some of us are great players yet suck under the pressure of a timer.

This has to be the most ridiculous statement I've read on any forum in a long time. A good player is someone who is adaptable and consistent, no matter the situation.

Any idiot can do any rotation in WoW. It's being able to continue to do your rotation when variables outside your control arise that make you good. Its knowing how to adapt to situations outside the norm. Its knowing when mechanics take prescient over your DEEPEEESS.

Back on topic the mage tower is fine. Either man up and learn the mechanics. Or gear and buff until they no longer matter. Or stop caring because it's a completely optional thing that has zero bearing on anything. Blizzard should absolutely remove the current rewards. And hopefully, despite the biblical amount of tears generated by bad players, the amount of people who enjoyed them is enough that Blizzard makes a season 2 of them, with another unique cosmetic reward.

Fun Fact: A completely valid point is still completely valid even if it triggers you.
04/11/2018 05:55 PMPosted by Annastasi
1) Get Good: Yes thank you. I wasn't aware that I was paying a subscription to play a job, rather than a game. This mindset is not only toxic, but divisive. I don't feel it is in Blizzard's best interests to encourage behavior that divides the community. To be honest, I've held off on posting about this for some time specifically because of the rather toxic nonconstructive nature these threads bring out in people.

it's not toxic though.

if they made content only for the lowest common denominator, those who can play at a higher level would have nothing to do. it's 100% ok for there to be difficult content in the game that not everyone can do easily.

the mage tower is self-nerfing. If you can't do it at X gear level, get more gear and try again.

They did it was wrath and it was the highest sub period wow ever had it catered to the casual gamer over the no lifer.
Also some classes there is no gear = win literally comes down to a leggo rng afflic lock is one bear is another where as ret paly just repent and beat down the other 2.
Some are almost so moronic its hard to even believe a dev lead signed off on them looking at you demo challenge.
In a video game sometimes you have to do challenging things to get unique rewards. If you don't raid you don't get raid mounts. If you don't pvp you don't get pvp mounts. If you don't gear up your toon and learn your class you don't get mage tower skins. There isn't anything anyone can do for you other than just let people have it for free which is not going to happen.
04/12/2018 04:14 PMPosted by Thôr
04/11/2018 05:55 PMPosted by Annastasi

it's not toxic though.

if they made content only for the lowest common denominator, those who can play at a higher level would have nothing to do. it's 100% ok for there to be difficult content in the game that not everyone can do easily.

the mage tower is self-nerfing. If you can't do it at X gear level, get more gear and try again.

They did it was wrath and it was the highest sub period wow ever had it catered to the casual gamer over the no lifer.
Also some classes there is no gear = win literally comes down to a leggo rng afflic lock is one bear is another where as ret paly just repent and beat down the other 2.
Some are almost so moronic its hard to even believe a dev lead signed off on them looking at you demo challenge.

Affliction you can cheese with Infernal and Guardian you definitely don't need legendaries.
04/12/2018 06:18 AMPosted by Metôx
The bad / alt Druid will.

I'm a bad alt druid and I have the feral skin. Did it at about ilevel 915 with no legendaries. Died a lot. Kept trying. Got the glow kitty. Next mage tower I will work on getting the werebear. I expect to die a lot again

I'm not a great player, I'm not one of these people who walks in and one shots or even 5 shots these challenges but I learn, I get better and I keep trying

There is no reason why anyone who wants a mage tower skin can't go and get it, just be prepared to put the effort in. Or don't and accept that you won't have that skin
04/12/2018 01:09 PMPosted by Phaaze
The problem isn't the mage tower difficulty or that it's being removed for next expansion (though removal of content sucks naturally). It's that it is unreasonable to get it on every spec of every class or miss out

No it isn't
04/11/2018 06:13 PMPosted by Wasbelf
04/11/2018 06:06 PMPosted by Fiznazzle

Considering people still cant do it, it's still a valid challenge. In bfa, it wont be at all. No, you can not scale it to match classes that will change. The entire thing would have to be changed.

Remove the achievement, leave the "challenge", just like green fire.

04/11/2018 06:12 PMPosted by Aruthos

not 100% of participants

which is what you're suggesting should happen

Which are mostly alts, or people with disabilities.

I'm legally blind and I have 30~/36 mage tower appearances, mostly on 905-920 geared alts with !@#$ legendaries.

Maybe people who put effort in should be allowed to have something for it for once, instead of handing out participation trophies to everyone.

If you want some of that self same logic, Kruul is dead. No more tanks get their appearances.
I still don't know why people like OP only complain about something that's relatively easy to obtain, yet I never see them mention things like Gladiator mounts, Cutting Edge, ect ect.

It just really makes it hard to take their complaints seriously when it's always about just one tiny specific thing.