What's the plan for Epic Battlegrounds?

War Mode and World PvP
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next
04/25/2018 03:50 AMPosted by Jerrel
WG was some of my favorite game play of all time. TB was fun too. Ashran not as much. I still que for AV specifically every once in a while. Also, bring back highmaul coliseum. Thanks!

As long as they remove the title I'm fine with this.
04/24/2018 09:00 PMPosted by Phalanx
Our thoughts are that queuing for a large battleground like Alterac Valley or Isle of Conquest is opting-in for a different experience than all the other battlegrounds, in the sense of the larger 40 vs 40 scale and the longer duration time. That's the main motivator for moving them to a separate queue.

While we have no immediate plans to change the gameplay of AV or IoC, its not out of the realm of possibility. Certainly with them being in their own queue gives us the opportunity to tweak them separately. We also would like to re-introduce other larger scale maps from the past into the playlist over time.

Right now the only difference is there's 40 players in the game.

AV is a boring gutted mess that offers no incentive to do anything but zerg for most players.

Not reintroducing some stuff removed in TBC is a mistake. This is your chance to fix that mistake. Nobody can complain because it's in its own random queue.
04/24/2018 10:41 PMPosted by Erigoras
REWORKED TOL BARAD ASHRAN, WINTERGRASP CONFIRMED WOOP WOOP!

YEAH!
YEAH
I hope you guys go all the way with this "larger" battleground thing, and consider it like "well these battlegrounds SHOULD take more time".

And on that note, I hope you change AV. The best part of AV every expansion, is when it's in the prepatch stage to the next expansion. All the guards are buffed and it makes AV 100x more fun. I hope you guys make something like this a permanent thing.
I think they noticed many players opting out of those bgs.

If it leads to restoring them to their former glory and increasing the rewards I'm all for it.
04/25/2018 11:40 PMPosted by Flintløck
I think they noticed many players opting out of those bgs.

If it leads to restoring them to their former glory and increasing the rewards I'm all for it.

AMEN AND ASHRAN IS BEING REWORKED TO FIT IN THIS QUEUE

YAY!!!!
04/26/2018 12:00 PMPosted by Erigoras
AMEN AND ASHRAN IS BEING REWORKED TO FIT IN THIS QUEUE

YAY!!!!

I'll go more indepth with this:

Ashran is temporarily being retired to be worked on to fit in with the new Large BG system. All achievements are being moved to the Legacy tab and will be brought back once Ashran is reimplemented.

I'm really excited.
Awesome. I've personally never been a fan of 40 man BGs as I prefer feeling like a valued player in a BG. it's very hard to contribute or make yourself stand out in a group of 40 where as 10v10 your individual play matters a lot more.
I would hope Alterac Valley would get everything that has been removed over the years returned. With it now separate from the quick battlegrounds, players now have the opportunity to choose that style of gameplay if they want. I feel old AV would fit the bill well alongside Ashran.
Our thoughts are that queuing for a large battleground like Alterac Valley or Isle of Conquest is opting-in for a different experience than all the other battlegrounds, in the sense of the larger 40 vs 40 scale and the longer duration time.
While we have no immediate plans to change the gameplay of AV or IoC, its not out of the realm of possibility.
You talk about longer duration for Alterac. But how could it last longer, if you dont want to change anything? a large battleground that could be finished in 6 minutes is not that what i want to see. please make the NPCs stronger and remove alteracblitz.

04/25/2018 10:10 PMPosted by Zelath
The best part of AV every expansion, is when it's in the prepatch stage to the next expansion.
this.
I remember last prepatch very well. Two days after prepatch we saw Ivus and Lokholar, airsupport and wolfriders. War returned to Alterac in every single match and players liked it, because it was PvP, not just a race against the enemy faction.

PLEASE BRING BACK ALTERAC VALLEY.
While we have no immediate plans to change the gameplay of AV or IoC, its not out of the realm of possibility. Certainly with them being in their own queue gives us the opportunity to tweak them separately. We also would like to re-introduce other larger scale maps from the past into the playlist over time.

Please do. With 40 man battlegrounds in a separate queue, players will understand that the experience is meant to be epic. And when someone has to leave in the middle of one, it's not a big deal because there are 39 other players to hold the line.

I loved the original AV, but that was before NPC's and objectives could be steamrolled. Now it's a race and I have it on permanent blacklist.
Posted by Phalanx

Please do. With 40 man battlegrounds in a separate queue, players will understand that the experience is meant to be epic. And when someone has to leave in the middle of one, it's not a big deal because there are 39 other players to hold the line.
I'd have to agree, please do update and increase honor/rewards for participating to compensate. You can then choose if you want to run lots of little bg's or 1 big bg to get your honor (or Conquest?) for the time you have available.
I enjoy the little bg's, but I would greatly enjoy stepping in the big ones again if they were more PvP-centric and less "race to kill the boss before the other team does, don't get distracted by enemy players get up here"-centric.
04/26/2018 09:45 PMPosted by Jatish
I would hope Alterac Valley would get everything that has been removed over the years returned.

I don't think anything really needs to be added back in. I imagine that will be covered by Classic whenever that comes out.

The only thing that needs to change in current AV is as Wormfood and Rend have said: make sure rewards are comparative to smaller battlegrounds for equal time spent and seriously beef up the NPCs.

Pre-patch AV is the best. Players working together and communicating to take down bunkers, graveyards and captains. Defense being a viable tactic again.

Games only lasted around an hour, and I think these queues being separate should mean that people know what to expect. It might also mean that the people that do queue actually want to be there.
For Isle of Conquest to last longer, I think there are two approaches: give gates more health (this isn't particularly appealing because attacking a door isn't engaging gameplay), which leaves room for players to respond and increase the general and his guards' damage and health significantly.

I still don't know why the 5 guards that appear when the gates go down are non-elite, below max-level NPCs. They could be a little dungeon group, 3 DPS, a healer and a tank - give them the new AI so they attack healers and are pain in the proverbials to defeat.

The NPCs next to the general should also mirror that, so that the fight is more than 'pull the boss and kill him'.
Our thoughts are that queuing for a large battleground like Alterac Valley or Isle of Conquest is opting-in for a different experience than all the other battlegrounds, in the sense of the larger 40 vs 40 scale and the longer duration time. That's the main motivator for moving them to a separate queue.

Will the larger BG queue reward more honor at the end since they are designed to take longer?
I like the larger battlegrounds having there own queue as I enjoy those bgs over others at certain times so being able to queue for those makes it definitely more fun.

In saying that if you want to make large BGS more fun why did you remove all the quest related and NPC blocks from oldschool AV I am talking about the 3 day AVS where to make a push the group had to collectively gather resources for mines for commandoes or armor upgrades and you had to tell the npc to release them at the RIGHT time to enable a push this made AV exciting and interesting even though it was days long when you won, you knew why you won!

Because you used strategy and you used pvp and killed each other to no end in choke points on the map IE alliance got choked out down frostwolf hill and Horde were choked out on the bridge....the bridge might be too good of a choke point to be honest if oldschool came back.

Ivus and the Treedude and guarding the druids to get the safely down to that part of the map for a summons meant something.

I am not expecting a 3day AVS to ever come back even if I enjoyed leaving waking up the next day and feeling like some pvp and the same match was slogging out.

But longer even if an hour or so long match that involved greater pvp instead of running past each other to the boss would be much more enjoyable.
I think at first these won't be very popular with longer que times and probably similar reward to normal BGs but a mild rework to AV and Ashran and the addition of several of the old WPvP zones as epic BGs could eventually make this bracket more active than the random BG circuit.

AV(with stronger guards and more resources perhaps)
IOC
SS vs TM
Told Barad
Wintergrasp
Ashran reworked

That all sounds like a grand old time if you ask me, give me that que over one with Temple of Kotmogu and Deepwind Gorge all day.
Another concern:

If Epic Battlegrounds do not have a good reward to encourage sign ups and are not adjusted to last longer, we risk sitting in queue for longer than games last. That sucks from a game play perspective. I personally would be very unhappy to have a game last 12 minutes after being in queue for 20.