What's the plan for Epic Battlegrounds?

Battle for Azeroth Warmode and PvP
04/29/2018 10:27 PMPosted by Park
I am not expecting a 3day AVS to ever come back even if I enjoyed leaving waking up the next day and feeling like some pvp and the same match was slogging out.

I don't think we'll ever see long matches like that again (except maybe on Classic). On current though, especially now they are in their separate queue, we really should have them last longer. An hour sounds very reasonable.

(And also more worthy of the name 'Epic' - a large battleground with no player conflict that is over in 15 minutes is not epic)
/dance & cry's in joy Winter Grasp is a possibility!
The only time AV takes longer than any other battleground is if there is a large group on one team that decides to play defense which doesnt usually happen.

I hope something is done to change AV back to how it used to be, where guards hit harder and it actually takes a group to do most things. Also tripling the reinforcement count would allow teams to actually try to reorganize and push out of a losing position instead of just saying screw it and fighting on the bridge for 30 minutes because they are already behind by 200 reinforcements. Even better would be to just get rid of reinforcements, but people are probably not ready for the return of a possibly multi-day long battleground.
05/08/2018 09:19 AMPosted by Arezu
I hope something is done to change AV back to how it used to be, where guards hit harder and it actually takes a group to do most things.

Pre-patch AVs are the best. Basically when all the NPCs are tuned for 10 levels higher. Pre-patch BfA you will see guards and bosses tuned to 120 so we will have the nice, long AVs.
05/08/2018 10:46 AMPosted by Jugajr
Pre-patch BfA you will see guards and bosses tuned to 120 so we will have the nice, long AVs.
I hope this will be as good as legion-prepatch:
https://www.imagebanana.com/s/1080/SGZiqdGC.html
04/30/2018 11:27 AMPosted by Bynir
Another concern:

If Epic Battlegrounds do not have a good reward to encourage sign ups and are not adjusted to last longer, we risk sitting in queue for longer than games last. That sucks from a game play perspective. I personally would be very unhappy to have a game last 12 minutes after being in queue for 20.

We'll be changing the rewards for Epic Battlegrounds to be better than normal battlegrounds. There is also going to be a weekly quest for Conquest to do a Epic Battleground.
05/08/2018 09:19 AMPosted by Arezu
I hope something is done to change AV back to how it used to be, where guards hit harder and it actually takes a group to do most things.

Pre-patch AVs are the best. Basically when all the NPCs are tuned for 10 levels higher. Pre-patch BfA you will see guards and bosses tuned to 120 so we will have the nice, long AVs.

We just placed scaling tech on the creatures in Alterac Valley so that their difficulty scales with your character power. This should cause the creatures to retain their difficulty throughout the expansion cycle. Let us know how this feels!
06/07/2018 07:19 PMPosted by Phalanx

We just placed scaling tech on the creatures in Alterac Valley so that their difficulty scales with your character power. This should cause the creatures to retain their difficulty throughout the expansion cycle. Let us know how this feels!

I think it would nice to see the scaling tech at least set at a point where taking out the boss NPCs isn't easy enough that groups zerg to do that, because that actually makes AV more fun, in my opinion. If it's a zerg game, you abandon all of the mechanics of the battleground. If you're separating it into a separate queue, now's the BEST time to try to get it back to being a long game of attrition.
What about summoning those extra bosses. Or whatever they where considered back then.? Get rid of win from x amount of kills. Bring back the long long AV!! Did I need to put a # in there?... Next time I'll read the hole thread before I open mouth. I agree with the others postings.
Can we have the starting point for Horde and Alliance randomized in AV? The terrain and choke points are an imbalanced design that favours one faction over the other.

I don't think its realistic to expect a major map edit after so many years, but an alternative fix would just be allowing Horde to start in the Stormpike base, and Alliance in the Frostwolf base 50% of the time. Just reverse the NPCs and make up some lore about taking over the enemy's camp. It would play out similar to how SotA had random starting points (attacker/defender). I could even see this affecting strategy based on where your team starts, which is kind of interesting.

I don't know how else to "balance" a map like AV without fundamentally changing it.
04/24/2018 09:00 PMPosted by Phalanx
Our thoughts are that queuing for a large battleground like Alterac Valley or Isle of Conquest is opting-in for a different experience than all the other battlegrounds, in the sense of the larger 40 vs 40 scale and the longer duration time. That's the main motivator for moving them to a separate queue.

While we have no immediate plans to change the gameplay of AV or IoC, its not out of the realm of possibility. Certainly with them being in their own queue gives us the opportunity to tweak them separately. We also would like to re-introduce other larger scale maps from the past into the playlist over time.

I'm definitely hoping big battlegrounds get complete overhauls into WvW zones like guildwars. That would be amazing to have. Other battlegrounds should just get the HD upgrade I guess just to make them feel recent in our times.
While it might feel more PVEish than PVP, I think there's a distinct place in the game for large scale maps, and I'm not just saying that because of the popularity of Battle Royales lately, but rather as somebody who would spend hours at a time in old school AV, grinding up to Marshal.

I know a lot of the discussion focuses on AV (since its not as blacklisted), but I think IOC could use a serious look in terms of building balance. I can't say for sure what's OP or too weak though, but I do know I can kill glaive throwers in a couple of GCDs, and defense cannons dont see to do a whole lot to players, and not much to vehicles unless they stand in the fire. I used to do some honorable kill farms to finish out my Bloodthirsty title in MoP, but the graveyards received that protection aura in WoD as a result of our groups. Don't think a whole lot has changed besides that. When I go into IOC I mostly play defense and can stop the workshop and docks vehicles in their tracks. Tends to ensure victory.

I'm not sure what you could to spice up Tol Barad/WG honestly, since they just felt like more of a necessity to unlock dailies/raid instance, and a stacking buff was needed to even things out. I just think it'd be cool to see 2 new epic battlegrounds released in 8.2 or about halfway through the expac.
[/quote]We just placed scaling tech on the creatures in Alterac Valley so that their difficulty scales with your character power. This should cause the creatures to retain their difficulty throughout the expansion cycle. Let us know how this feels![/quote]

I've been waiting for this for so long.... :heart_eyes:
Is this just for Beta-Server or could we test on Legion servers? Will Alterac open up on Beta-Servers now(if enough players will que)?

Because it sounds good and i will test it asap.
04/24/2018 09:00 PMPosted by Phalanx
While we have no immediate plans to change the gameplay of AV or IoC, its not out of the realm of possibility. Certainly with them being in their own queue gives us the opportunity to tweak them separately. We also would like to re-introduce other larger scale maps from the past into the playlist over time.

I think moving these to a separate queue is a great idea. I also think that you should actually rework AV as it fits perfectly with the BFA theme. Here is my idea.

1. Make it a pure resource race instead of a kill the boss scenario. Make it a large scale AB basically. The more points you hold on the map the more resource you consume or gather to a certain number say 2000.
2. Increase the number of player from 40 to 60. The map is large and to win you are going to need to have small teams defending and small capture teams. There should not be an issue with lag as you are not going to be fighting 60v60.
3. Allow people to queue as a group of 10
4. Set a time limit for 30-60mins and allow people to come and go. Maker sure we can report people who are playing rock-paper-scissors over in the corner and not participating. If the one team loses a player and there is not another one in the queue spawn an AI NPC to fight. If a real player joins the AI NPC is removed.
5. After the 30-60mins or once all the resources are gathered or depleted the winning team can kill the opposing teams AV captain. This gives them bonus honor or conquest and say a mount drop. (Incentive for people to participate) I would make it an Alliance themed Frost Wolf for the Alliance and a Horde themed Ram for the horde

Normally I'm against that kind of scaling for max level content, but it actually makese sense in AV, especially since gear shouldn't matter much in a BG. I'll have to test it out.
Love these types of bg's. Where are my afk boyz at?
06/07/2018 07:17 PMPosted by Phalanx
We'll be changing the rewards for Epic Battlegrounds to be better than normal battlegrounds. There is also going to be a weekly quest for Conquest to do a Epic Battleground.

Will Blizzard be taking additional measures to stop players who circumvent game restrictions to bring their full premade raids on voice chat into AV/IOC?

Because they're going to love this change. Fast/easy wins against pugs, plus better rewards than normal bgs.

Premade raids have plenty of experience gaming the queue system. Their members sync queues and verify their queue pops over voice chat so they all join the same bg and then roflstomp the other team. If necessary, they'll even send a scout into the bg first to see if there are enough empty spots on the team to accommodate their entire premade raid.
You also going to fix AV so it's not horrifically tilted towards the Alliance? Like how we have to kill all of their archers to claim a tower but they only have to kill the one in front of the door? Or how they can just march into our town and keep and Horde has to cross the major choke point of the road to Stormpike GY and the bridge into DB?

Maybe move the Horde cave back to where it was?
We just placed scaling tech on the creatures in Alterac Valley

Could you maybe clarify by creatures do you mean guards/bosses, or literally the creatures of AV like the rams etc. :P