Nightborne Racial Does Nothing...

General Discussion
For about 2/3 of the specs that they can be. Whereas most races get a universally applicable stat like crit or haste or perhaps a cooldown that provides some sort of throughput, nightborne get 1% increased magic damage and an active ability that does next to nothing in raids and is frequently redundant with passive effects in PVP.

Can tanks, physical DPS and non-discipline healers please get a different effect from the nightborne racial?
Not true. It affects our racial AoE!

/eye roll
nah, leave it like it is. id like to see more class bias towards racials TBH. undead should have mage and rogue traits and dwarves should have tank and shaman traits, etc.

racials have been a pretty big letdown for me ever since they removed the priest / race based spells TBH.
04/03/2018 03:25 AMPosted by Foxglove
nah, leave it like it is. id like to see more class bias towards racials TBH. undead should have mage and rogue traits and dwarves should have tank and shaman traits, etc.

racials have been a pretty big letdown for me ever since they removed the priest / race based spells TBH.
Could do this, or....

We could just stick with the theme of stat racial being useful for all classes, since doing so would have no bearing on you anyway.
Nightborne and Lightforged really need new racials.
I wish lightforged had an interesting racial like that.
Easiest idea is to change it to passive damage increase across the board, but I wouldn't mind thinking more outside of the box on it as well.

Maybe take from one of the abilities that final boss of Court of Stars had, like a chance to proc an extra physical attack while auto-attacking and just scale it up to however much damage other racials give?
04/03/2018 03:28 AMPosted by Merzuul

What could be more interesting than targeting your enemy for orbital bombardment. Or even better, exploding when you die.
04/03/2018 03:27 AMPosted by Reallyhappy
Nightborne and Lightforged really need new racials.
I wouldn't even mind an adaptation of the existing racial sort of like how arcane torrent does different things for different classes. Say for physical-oriented specs, it causes 1% of physical damage to be duplicated as arcane and for healers their spells cost 2% less mana to cast or something in that vein.

The lightforged racial is kinda iffy, but it would probably be a bit better if it healed allies as well and maybe had a slightly shorter CD. Anything too big on one hit is a little dangerous in terms of CD stacking abuse.
Arcane pulse is really underwhelming. My NB is a mage, so it's like ... What's the point of an AoE slow when all my frost spells do that on hit?
04/03/2018 03:41 AMPosted by Midlight
Arcane pulse is really underwhelming. My NB is a mage, so it's like ... What's the point of an AoE slow when all my frost spells do that on hit?
I actually have no idea what they were thinking with it. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't even impact balance if they gave it a 10-20 second cooldown. Its damage is minuscule, it has a very short range and the slow effect is something that half the classes in the game can do passively.
04/03/2018 03:25 AMPosted by Foxglove

Oh wow, I had actually forgotten that was a thing! The other day I was lamenting the loss of mana burn for PvP, but that was an even cooler priest trait!
04/03/2018 03:36 AMPosted by Tulek

What could be more interesting than targeting your enemy for orbital bombardment. Or even better, exploding when you die.

Having one that's useful? The explosion is subpar (Does almost no damage and just as little healing) and the bombardment is noting to write home about due to no CC built in it. At least the nightborne pulse slows. Which, sure half the classes do, but having another slow on rotation is useful.
Should let us choose a "racial" from a list during character creation.

Shadowmeld for my troll druid please! :)
Well it could be worse, your racial could be getting back to your body faster after you die :) I would still like to meet the jack !@# that thought that one up...
04/03/2018 04:40 AMPosted by Bril
Well it could be worse, your racial could be getting back to your body faster after you die :) I would still like to meet the jack !@# that thought that one up...

Same guy who thought that Touch of Elune was a good idea.

Dev 1: "What if we gave Nelves a racial that swaps on time of day?"
Dev 2: "GENIUS! What does it do?"
Dev 1: "Swap between an extremely useful stat to a niche stat and vise versa forcing competitive night elf raiders to only raid during the night."
Dev 3: "But... wouldn't that just force more people to not play Night Elf comp--" *Dev 3 is kicked out.*
Dev 1: "DO IT! Promotion!"
At least the nightborne pulse slows.
. Which BTW you have to be in melee range to use. Its rather cumbersome for casters.

I like our racials.
04/03/2018 04:54 AMPosted by Colóssus
At least the nightborne pulse slows.
. Which BTW you have to be in melee range to use. Its rather cumbersome for casters.

Still more useful than the lightforged racials because of the built in slow. Melee range or not. A 12 second 50% slow AoE is a 12 second 50% AoE, which is only 3 seconds shorter than the mage slow ability and more than one target.

Compared to lightforged which has a 3 second delay before about 760k damage at max level... which is good for world content, but useless in PvP and end game PvP where 760k is but a flesh wound. And the explosion barely deals 470k and heals the same amount and you need to DIE for it to work. Neither have any built in CC.
Its awesome for mythic Garothi. It has plenty of creative uses just need to think about it. Its not meant to be a "move faster forward" cooldown. You also get no spell pushback and a 5% all damage buff. VE racials are fine.