How does Flying Work?

New Player Help and Guides
I'm interested in the flying mechanics here, but a little unsure of how much control I'll have over my mount.

Is it similar to FFXIV where you have complete control over your mount and where it flies and the altitude?
The controls for flying are effectively identical to the controls for underwater swimming. Typically you don't even think about controlling altitude separately because you just point and go.

From a story point of view players could actually be considered to have too much control when flying, especially to skip or game encounters. This is why the modern design of expansions doesn't allow using flying until after the player has experienced a critical amount of the expansion storyline.
basically works like how swimming in this game works. buy a mount that can fly, buy the flying licenses needed ( READ THEM CAREFULLY ) i say this because some people think when they first buy flying that they bought the correct license but really when you first start you need to buy 2 different licenses. 1 that lets you actually fly and the other i believe just lets you fly in the zone.

other then that it's really no brainer. there isn't very much licenses to purchase maybe like 5-6 fairly cheap except the last 2. just get rep with your factions major city so if your horde you get exalted rep with orgrimmar if your alli then exalted with stormwind. it lowers the cost and rep is easy to farm.

some mounts cannot fly at all and some are water mounts only just allowing you to basically swim faster by riding them. they dont necessarily need to have wings to fly either many flying mounts dont have wings at all. it stats what they can do as well i believe like it will say increases "ground movement speed by 240%" or something like that. dont even pay attention to the percentage they all move the same depending on your flying skill which is increased by just purchasing the flying licenses. the only ones that do matter is the water mounts but then again i think those ones are just the same as well. the ONLY class that has increased mount speed is paladins which is a skill.
There's actually been an update to flight training in 7.3.5. You no longer need to purchase licenses for WotLK/Cata/MoP zones, they're included in training. Draenor and Legion Pathfinding still require achievements to fly though.

04/12/2018 01:12 PMPosted by Lethadox
basically works like how swimming in this game works. buy a mount that can fly, buy the flying licenses needed ( READ THEM CAREFULLY ) i say this because some people think when they first buy flying that they bought the correct license but really when you first start you need to buy 2 different licenses. 1 that lets you actually fly and the other i believe just lets you fly in the zone.

[/quote]
The short answer to your question is yes. Flying works exactly the same as in FFXIV unless you're using a flight path to get from place to place.

The longer answer is that flying in WoW is both simpler to obtain and more comprehensive in scope than flying in FFXIV. Where in FFXIV you have to attune to various points and complete certain quests to be able to fly in each zone, for WoW you simply need to purchase the riding training from riding/flight trainers (found in the capitol cities) or complete the appropriate Pathfinder achievement (for WoD, Legion, and likely BfA once it comes out). Additionally, once you know how to fly, you can fly in ANY zone aside from specifically no-fly zones which are typically isolated from the rest of the world. Vanilla zones (Kalimdor, Eastern Kingdoms) are not excluded the way the ARR zones are in FFXIV.
04/13/2018 05:31 AMPosted by Valkeres
The short answer to your question is yes. Flying works exactly the same as in FFXIV unless you're using a flight path to get from place to place.

The longer answer is that flying in WoW is both simpler to obtain and more comprehensive in scope than flying in FFXIV. Where in FFXIV you have to attune to various points and complete certain quests to be able to fly in each zone, for WoW you simply need to purchase the riding training from riding/flight trainers (found in the capitol cities) or complete the appropriate Pathfinder achievement (for WoD, Legion, and likely BfA once it comes out). Additionally, once you know how to fly, you can fly in ANY zone aside from specifically no-fly zones which are typically isolated from the rest of the world. Vanilla zones (Kalimdor, Eastern Kingdoms) are not excluded the way the ARR zones are in FFXIV.

Wow, that's awesome. Thank you.
Pretty sure you still can't fly in the Blood Elf and Draeni 1-20 zones but haven't been in them on flying characters for a long time.
04/13/2018 02:58 PMPosted by Nok
Pretty sure you still can't fly in the Blood Elf and Draeni 1-20 zones but haven't been in them on flying characters for a long time.

Yup, there's a few zones you can't fly in as well as those. Most of those are related to some other content such as Firelands quest zone, Isle of Giants, Isle of Thunder, Antorus, Timeless Isle.