Why all the High Elf hate?

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 20 Next
Out of curiosity, what is it about high elves that appeals to you? Specifically, over blood elves. I find 'because lore' to be a pretty lame reason personally, since that doesn't affect your gameplay at all. Is it the blue elves? Is it being a light skinned elf on the Alliance? Is it nostalgia for Wacraft games? I just don't get it. *shrug*

I think the idea of them being "pure" is what appeals to people. They haven't been corrupted by the fel or the void or even the light. There is something appealing about having a blank canvas so to speak.

It isn't enough to make me swap to alliance, but yeah I think this is why so many people are asking for them.
TBH the pro high elf crowd probably love the spam. It keeps the topic heated in the forums. I mean why else would they post in said spam threads outside of their own main thread that the mods so graciously extended just for them.
I have no strong oppinion either way. It would be a bit odd seeing as the Allience already have Void Elves, who are very similer. I also see many players who are tired of all the elf races being added. While it would be weird to see the Allience with void elves AND high elves, I can’t say I’d mind. But they’d have to add a new allied race to the horde when they did it. They’ve never given one side a race while excluding the other.
High Elves or Quel'dorei are not the same race, as the Blood Elves or Sin'dorei have via sucking the mana from stuff have changed on a genetic level and are no more the same race than the Night Elves or Kaldorei and the Nightborne or Shal'dorei are at this point as the Nightborne drew power from the nightwell and changed on a genetic level as well. So sorry all those who keep saying that High Elves & Blood Elves are the same You are Wrong
Why all the High Elf hate?

Because of the constant demand, which leads me to my own question:

Why all the High Elf love? I simply don't get it.
03/27/2018 02:11 AMPosted by Marquís
TBH the pro high elf crowd probably love the spam. It keeps the topic heated in the forums. I mean why else would they post in said spam threads outside of their own main thread that the mods so graciously extended just for them.

Not as much as the anti High Elf crowd loves the spam, since you guys keep making the spam threads. It's hilarious how you guys make the threads... and then complain when people post to them to refute your nonsense, and blame them for the existence of those threads. Here's a thought: don't make the threads, and they won't be bumped.

Simple, right?
03/27/2018 02:12 AMPosted by Sarumhann
High Elves or Quel'dorei are not the same race, as the Blood Elves or Sin'dorei have via sucking the mana from stuff have changed on a genetic level and are no more the same race than the Night Elves or Kaldorei and the Nightborne or Shal'dorei are at this point as the Nightborne drew power from the nightwell and changed on a genetic level as well. So sorry all those who keep saying that High Elves & Blood Elves are the same You are Wrong

Where in the game does it say they aren't the same race? Just because their eye color changed because they dabbled in fel magic doesn't mean they all suddenly turned into a difference race. In fact, many blood elf players have been asking for access to blue eyes since they have their Sunwell back - but it appears they will be getting gold eye options instead (presumably from the holy magic in the Sunwell due to M'uru). They are still high elves - they were simply renamed blood elves by Kael'thas.

Your comparison to the Nightborne doesn't hold up because the Nightborne were isolated and drew from a different mana source for ten thousand years. It took them a very, very long time to change.

Also, by the way all high elves consider the Sunwell sacred and partake in pilgrimage to the Sunwell. One of the first things Vereesa Windrunner did when she returned to Azeroth was visit the Sunwell for example.
But here, just to illustrate my point, here are all the High Elf threads from the past 25 pages or so. Let me categorize them by who made them.

PRO HIGH ELF THREADS
1. "Alliance High Elves as a Playable Race"

ANTI HIGH ELF THREADS
1. "Idea to hush High Elf topics"
2. "High Elves replaced"
3. "why do y'all want high elves so bad"
4. "Horde got High Elves!!!!!"
5. "High Elves and you"
6. "Blood Elves Are High Elves"
7. "Blizz Will Announce High Elves In 9 Days!"
8. "A High Elf walks into a bar in Stormwind...."

NEUTRAL HIGH ELF THREADS
1. "Why all the High Elf hate?" (Neutral, but only exists because of the Anti High Elf threads)

And that's without taking into account all the fake "continuation" threads made by an Anti High Elf poster who kept spamming those fake continuation threads to the forum over and over again, trying to get people to think it's the continuation of the Pro High Elf thread, only to trick people into reading his Anti High Elf spiel. That also doesn't take into account all the threads with titles that don't include High Elf or High Elves in the title, but which are about the Blood Elves new golden eyes and the hope that that'll put an end to all the talk about High Elves on the Alliance.

So we quite literally have a minimum of 8-out-of-10 High Elf threads made not by Pro High Elf posters, but Anti High Elf posters, 1-out-of-10 is a response to those 8 threads (This thread is asking why you lot hate the idea, not why we support the idea), and only one thread is made by Pro High Elf posters.

So let me reiterate my suggestion: if you want to see the end of High Elf spam on the forums, then stop spamming the forums yourselves. Particularly since those threads aren't about genuine discussion, or providing suggestions to Blizzard for a new Allied Race (Something which Blizzard explicitly asked the player base to do), but to spam the forums and insult other posters.
03/27/2018 01:05 AMPosted by Kinkeedefias
I don't have hate against High Elves. It's the people who keep asking for them, when they're already ingame in the form of Blood Elves (and I guess void elves).

Well if we are going to play that game, then why ask for Mag'har? They are already in game, after all the regular orcs are just Mag'har with green skin, they are the same race don't you know?

Therefore there is no difference.
03/27/2018 01:00 AMPosted by Voodooladx
I don't really get why anyone is against alliance receiving high elves as a playable race

I shouldn't have to say this but I know I'm going to get bombed with "WELL THAT'S JUST YOUR OPINION" (obviously) "YOU DON'T SPEAK FOR EVERYONE" (obviously) so I'm going to say it: this is just my opinion...

I don't really hate high elves, I just don't see the point. They would be belves with blue eyes which is incredibly boring like pandas. I'm not against pandas, I just think they should have been an Alliance race. No distinction (or very, very few) between two faction races was a mistake.

Also, velves look amazing. I love their skin tones and their void hair. I know their lore is weak/stupid but I kind of gloss over that because my Hunter makes me so happy.

Btw, what I do hate is the high elf spam threads. This is probably the last one I'm responding to because from now on I'm just going to report them for spam.
I'm all for the alliance receiving high elves, which they did when they got void elves. I'm for their having additional customization, but I'm not for their getting a copy of blood elves. That's the issue, blood elves are high elves and they're a member of the horde. It's like campaigning for orcs to be added to alliance in that sense.
How to make a "muh high elves thread" and irritate everybody around you.

Step order is suggested but not required.

Step one: Play the victim.

Step two: Insert lengthy lore justification.

Step three: Build upon lore justification with argument about how muh immersion depends on your invented character backstory.

Step four: Presume to speak for a nebulous large segment of the playerbase.

Step five: Cry about muh immersion some more (optional).

Step six: Poison the well whenever anybody disagrees with you.

Step seven:

Step eight: Profit.
03/27/2018 02:37 AMPosted by Kushiela
I'm all for the alliance receiving high elves, which they did when they got void elves. I'm for their having additional customization, but I'm not for their getting a copy of blood elves. That's the issue, blood elves are high elves and they're a member of the horde. It's like campaigning for orcs to be added to alliance in that sense.

1. Orcs aren't members of the Alliance. High Elves are. Quest on the Alliance side and you'll see them constantly.

2. There are plenty of valid reasons to justify altering the High Elf model, in the same way that Dark Iron Dwarves are receiving much more detail and differentiation from standard Dwarves, and in the same way that the Nightborne model was altered so that it wouldn't be a direct copy of the Night Elf model, which many Pro High Elf players are in support of (I.E. Making them bulkier and more muscular to represent a harder, more militaristic lifestyle as opposed to the luxurious lifestyle of the Blood Elves).

Other suggestions include different hair styles, body paint/tattoos, and having a different stance (Which is a big deal. Let's be honest: put a Void Elf in full armor and you'll be hard pressed to tell them apart from a Blood Elf. A High Elf which was more muscular and had a different stance, though, would be a lot easier to tell apart).

Point is, no one is advocating taking the Blood Elf model as-is save for the eye color and porting it over exactly the same. And that's before even getting into the fact that the racials and class options would likely also be very different.

03/27/2018 02:41 AMPosted by Solidusblarg
How to make a "muh high elves thread" and irritate everybody around you.

Step order is suggested but not required.

Step one: Play the victim.

Nothing says "playing the victim" quite like being responsible for 90% of the High Elf threads on the forum... and then complaining about High Elf spam.
03/27/2018 02:37 AMPosted by Kushiela

1. Horde aren't members of the Alliance. High Elves are. Quest on the Alliance side and you'll see them constantly.

2. There are plenty of valid reasons to justify altering the High Elf model, in the same way that Dark Iron Dwarves are receiving much more detail and differentiation from standard Dwarves, and in the same way that the Nightborne model was altered so that it wouldn't be a direct copy of the Night Elf model, which many Pro High Elf players are in support of (I.E. Making them bulkier and more muscular to represent a harder, more militaristic lifestyle as opposed to the luxurious lifestyle of the Blood Elves). Other suggestions have different hair styles, body paint/tattoos, and having a different stance (Which is a big deal. Let's be honest: put a Void Elf in full armor and you'll be hard pressed to tell them apart from a Blood Elf. A High Elf which was more muscular and had a different stance, though, would be a lot easier to tell apart). Point is, no one is advocating taking the Blood Elf model as-is save for the eye color and porting it over exactly the same. And that's before even getting into the fact that the racials and class options would likely also be very different.

I have 4 alliance characters at 110. I think a lot of people are advocating a split in the race with the same appearance options. As I said in my OP, I'm all for additional customization I just don't want a copy of BElves. We can nit pick specifics, but it seems we're in fundamental agreement.
03/27/2018 02:33 AMPosted by Tovi
I don't really hate high elves, I just don't see the point. They would be belves with blue eyes

100% true, but if a bunch of other ppl want it and are gonna pay $15 a month if given them why fight it?

Also, velves look amazing. I love their skin tones and their void hair. I know their lore is weak/stupid but I kind of gloss over that because my Hunter makes me so happy.

Also true Some ppl like void elves, I don't see how they are mutually exclusive.

Btw, what I do hate is the high elf spam threads. This is probably the last one I'm responding to because from now on I'm just going to report them for spam.

I don't really get why people get so bothered by this. Any controversial topic is gonna have tons of threads, if you can't be bothered to give a crap either way just don't click on them. You are fighting a losing battle here imo, the more you report the more triggered you will get when you see them pop up on a daily basis.
03/27/2018 02:49 AMPosted by Gimmelots
I have 4 alliance characters at 110. I think a lot of people are advocating a split in the race with the same appearance options. As I said in my OP, I'm all for additional customization I just don't want a copy of BElves. We can nit pick specifics, but it seems we're in fundamental agreement.

Check out the (one) Pro High Elf thread. I think you'll find that most people there agree with that, and don't want a straight up copy of the Blood Elf model. Many have offered countless suggestions on how to better differentiate High Elves from Blood Elves, so that it's easy to tell the two apart (A different stance would certainly go a long way towards telling them apart. Short of walking right up to my Void Elf Warlock and looking at the tiny patch of skin which is visible, or mousing over him to see if he comes up red, a Horde player would have no idea at a glance if my Warlock was a Blood Elf or a Void Elf), and some have even provided art to illustrate what they mean. It's all pretty creative. But to sum it up:

- More muscular model, in the same way that the Nightborne is a frailer version of the Night Elf, to represent that they've become a culture less reliant on scholarly learning and the arcane, and more reliant on martial pursuits, wilderness survival, militarism, etc.
- Different hair (A wilder, more Celtic style, for example) and facial hair options, including full beards, to represent the influence of other races around them. Void Elves have more facial hair than Blood Elves, and they were Horde only a few weeks ago, so imagine High Elves who've spent more time amongst Humans and Dwarves?
- Body paint/tattoos, similar to what we've seen with Alleria and High Elves from Warcraft 2.
- A different stance, again, similar to how Nightborne got a different stance from Night Elves to further tell them apart. Really, that's all it'd take to be able to tell them apart. If you had High Elves with a different stance, and then put a High Elf, Blood Elf, and Void Elf in full armor next to each other, you'd be able to instantly tell which one was the High Elf from the stance, while you'd have a harder time telling the Void Elf from the Blood Elf.

And then, of course, they'd have different racial abilities, to once again account for the fact that they're not as reliant on arcane use as Blood Elves (Some of them have even forsworn the use of arcane magic entirely), and that they're not mana vampires. Class choices would be different, as well, as they certainly wouldn't have access to Demon Hunters, and due to their aversion to Fel, might swear off Warlocks, as well.

To sum up, there's no reason to believe that High Elves would have to be exact replicas of Blood Elves. Blizzard could make plenty of changes to the model to reflect the differences in culture, belief, and lifestyle between the two, while still staying true to the High Elf race.
100% true, but if a bunch of other ppl want it and are gonna pay $15 a month if given them why fight it?

They OP asked a question. I answered it. That's not "fighting it." Also:

I shouldn't have to say this but I know I'm going to get bombed with "WELL THAT'S JUST YOUR OPINION" (obviously) "YOU DON'T SPEAK FOR EVERYONE" (obviously) so I'm going to say it: this is just my opinion...

Also true Some ppl like void elves, I don't see how they are mutually exclusive.

I don't really hate high elves, I just don't see the point. They would be belves with blue eyes which is incredibly boring like pandas. I'm not against pandas, I just think they should have been an Alliance race. No distinction (or very, very few) between two faction races was a mistake.

03/27/2018 03:06 AMPosted by Voodooladx
he more you report the more triggered you will get when you see them pop up on a daily basis.

I'm 38-years old so I don't get "triggered" but I do get tired of seeing the same 5 or 6 threads on the first page of GD. I'm not fighting a losing battle because Blizzard is on my side. They will delete the threads if they're paying attention:

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20749397405
Search
The search function at the top of the World of Warcraft community site is extremely effective and robust. Before you create a new forum topic, please be use it to search for similar topics, blog posts, or web pages that may contain the answer for which you are looking. Making a new thread on an existing subject can result in your thread being deleted or, if you continue to re-post the same content, the loss of your forum privileges for spamming.
Yet another thread where people can't tell the difference between the Quel'dorei race and the Alliance High Elf factions that have been a major part of the Alliance experience.

Not to mention completely missing the point of Allied Races taking existing races (in this case Quel'dorei) and expanding on it.

Did people say that we can't get Nightborne because we already had playable Kal'dorei?
03/27/2018 03:07 AMPosted by Azrael

To sum up, there's no reason to believe that High Elves would have to be exact replicas of Blood Elves. Blizzard could make plenty of changes to the model to reflect the differences in culture, belief, and lifestyle between the two, while still staying true to the High Elf race.

Same reason why Wildhammer Dwarves aren't off the table, as they are canonically taller, stronger, and have customization options currently unavailable to the Bronzebeards.