What do your pets do when...

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 6 Next
My dog usually will start to poke me with his nose when he wants attention. Usually I will stop playing when he does this and take him for a walk or play with him. He is a two year old Canaan.
04/12/2018 05:06 AMPosted by Iradi
04/12/2018 05:00 AMPosted by Yumi
One of my cats tends to sleep in the other room through the day, but the other is... weirdly enthralled by TVs and computer monitors, she frequently perches on my bed and just watches me play. It's hilarious <,<
LOL makes me think of that video of the cat watching a horror movie.

It all started when my mom had a nature documentary on <,< she saw birds on screen and was instantly enraptured.

But then later she turned to watching Andry Griffith and... apparently that was just as good... then she came in my room and saw me playing WoW and that got her attention too. I have to guess it's the colors and movement? I don't know, it's hilarious to watch and adorable too.
04/12/2018 05:09 AMPosted by Yumi
04/12/2018 05:06 AMPosted by Iradi
...LOL makes me think of that video of the cat watching a horror movie.

It all started when my mom had a nature documentary on <,< she saw birds on screen and was instantly enraptured.

But then later she turned to watching Andry Griffith and... apparently that was just as good... then she came in my room and saw me playing WoW and that got her attention too. I have to guess it's the colors and movement? I don't know, it's hilarious to watch and adorable too.
I think it is.

When I was a child and TV's were pieces of furniture, I remember 2 of our cats loved trying to attack the weatherman's pointer LOL
04/12/2018 05:09 AMPosted by Yumi

Try getting a game on your ipad that has you poke water with fish swimming around. I saw lots of folks do that
I mean, you got a husky, you've gotta walk those brats at least twice a day and give them a ton of enrichment items to keep them busy. It's even worse getting it as a puppy, because you can't rely on a young animal you get to end up with the disposition you want (and huskies in particular are bred NOT to be lazy... lol). You want a lazy dog, adopt an older animal whose personality has already developed.

04/11/2018 02:14 PMPosted by Kirela
There's a theory that dogs don't have the same pack mentality like wolves do due to their breeding and evolution (makes sense to me) so in this theory dogs don't need an alpha anything, but like children they do need an authority figure to teach them things like a parent. However, it's not the same as an "alpha". Sorry this is completely off-topic, but I felt like it is a new way to look at dogs that people should consider.

Edit: the work and need to expend energy is completely spot on though.

Technically, wolves don't do the pack thing either. A natural wolf pack is just mom wolf, dad wolf and their unattached children.

The stuff about alphas came from unnatural "packs" of unrelated animals shoved into (relatively) small areas who were forced to just deal with each other in their personal space.

Pretty much everything about the alpha wolf pack myth came from that one flawed study.
04/12/2018 05:49 AMPosted by Yunti
You want a lazy dog, adopt an older animal whose personality has already developed.

a corgi might be a better fit. Sure they can be energetic but they're small so they can also be lap dogs

or a pug, just have to watch out for breathing issues

actually great danes are a good fit too but they would need a house obviously and not an apartment. They can be sleepy
5 1/2 months is a baby. Our German Shepherd just turned 3 and she's just now starting to settle down. For the first 2 years, I was convinced we made a mistake in getting her while our daughter was still a toddler. Now that they're both a little older and calmer, they love each other.

Nothing wrong with a crate used properly, wolves love their dens! We fed our GSD in her crate a couple of times, to help her understand it's her safe place. Now she always wants to eat in there!

Something you might try is getting some real beef bones from a raw food company. Places like this http://canadaraw.com/ will have tons of awesome chews that keep our dog focused like nothing else. Those beef femur bones will keep her going for two days and then they're a prize to carry around for a week.

Huskies are beautiful, friendly dogs and puppies are all a bit nuts.
04/12/2018 06:06 AMPosted by Amaris
You want a lazy dog, adopt an older animal whose personality has already developed.

a corgi might be a better fit. Sure they can be energetic but they're small so they can also be lap dogs

or a pug, just have to watch out for breathing issues

actually great danes are a good fit too but they would need a house obviously and not an apartment. They can be sleepy
retired greyhound. Their nickname (after age three) is the 45mph couch potato lol
adopt an older animal whose personality has already developed

Not a good idea for anyone with small kids.
I have a spanish water dog. What i do is take him for a walk, then play fetch once he gets somewhat tired(may take a while) i have maybe 30min of wow time. Then repeat.
04/12/2018 06:07 AMPosted by Kalaatia
Nothing wrong with a crate used properly, wolves love their dens! We fed our GSD in her crate a couple of times, to help her understand it's her safe place. Now she always wants to eat in there!

Oooooo i should do that with the cat I'm getting soon. The type of cat is pretty possessive of their owner and I'm worried she'll be sad not seeing her usual owner.

Also german shepards are adorable and I'm saying this as cat fan. I am far too low energy for them though
04/12/2018 06:13 AMPosted by Iradi
retired greyhound. Their nickname (after age three) is the 45mph couch potato lol

aw i forgot about them! they probably really need a home after they retire from racing. Do they often have trouble with that?

those kinda dogs will just shame you into wanting to lose weight with how skinny they are lol
I have some suggestions that were very helpful with our energetic, willful Golden Retriever when we got her as a puppy. They aren't supposed to be willful, but she was, and she was very bitey.

- If you can't watch a dog that needs constant attention, don't crate them. It will work against you and add to their destructive behavior because they truly hate being alone and want to be with you. I leashed my pup to my chair or close to my chair for raid time, wrapped up anything she could chew with something puppy safe (cardboard, paper, etc) and gave her a ton of chew toys, including a kong with peanut butter in it.

- Exercise, exercise, exercise, as others have mentioned! Wear her out before raid time. If you can't take them to a park or take them for a walk, find a "doggy daycare" in your area that is reputable and recommended, and let the puppy go there for a few hours. Not only will they come home drop dead tired, the other dogs will teach your puppy it's bad to use its teeth the way it currently is. Doggy daycare can be expensive, so it really depends on your budget, but a few hours at a time instead of a whole day might be affordable. You could also set up playdates with a friend who has a dog or puppy-friendly dog and just let them play. Having your dog interact with other dogs while still young will teach it a lot of manners that are needed for an adult dog.

- If you can't do any of the above, there is still another option that is better than a crate. Get a playpen for your gaming area and keep it close to you. When it's raid time, put the tired pup in there with a few toys, and again, possibly a kong with a nice snack in it. If your pup is one of the smarter ones, a toy that they have to roll around to get the treats out of will keep them busy for an hour or two, too. Unfortunately my Golden never did figure out that toy, but I feed my cat with it and he will head butt it around for hours and retire to his perch when he's done, having done his "hunting" for the day.

I hope these suggestions help and it's always pretty awesome to see so many people trying to help someone.
My 3 dogs lay scattered around me waiting for the mail to come.
http://rosenrot234.tumblr.com/post/172837250576/got-some-better-pics-of-sandy-it-looks-like

I keep forgetting I have pictures now of the cat I'm getting soon. Their name is Sandy and she's one of those Tortie cats. I have no idea what her breed is, I just know with her fur pattern she can be called a Tortie but that's not a breed.

From what I was told she had a rough owner. Then was dropped off at my Moms boyfriends. He didn't want to send her to a shelter so he took her in. Now she's always around him. But then his son moved in and they had a cat. So now they're in a kind of turf war because they didn't prepare Sandy at all for having another cat around. Soooo we're hoping I can handle her. But he also offered to take her back if it doesn't work out so she's not going to end up homeless.
I used to have a cat who just couldn't handle me being on a flying mount. The wings flapping on the screen were too much for him to handle, he felt like he needed to attack them.

Then he got fatter, and older, and more chill, and learned that the bird on the screen wasn't a tasty treat.
My snake tangles up in my headset sometimes when I have him out and I'm playing... sometimes I have to take the headset off because he just about pulls it off my head with his fat butt lol.

My partners blue tongue looks to peek out and say hello when shes looking for food which is really damn cute.
I should add (after reading other comments) I'm not anti-crate, I just don't think it will work well at this stage for this particular pup, for raid time.

Crates can do wonders, and we did train our Golden and our cat to use one. We always feed in them. Our cat will run to it, open it, and run in when it's feeding time, all on his own. He's very food oriented. Doing this will make it much easier when it's time to leave and you need to keep your puppy contained. When your puppy is done eating, leave it in the crate for longer and longer periods of time until it will happily stay in there for a few hours at a time.

Take your time with this process, too. Maybe for the first week, 15 minutes at a time with a nice juicy bone, then week two, 20 minutes, etc. When it's time to crate her, she won't be anxious or surprised.

Taking your time and doing it gently will also help strengthen the bond between you and your pup. In time, as the dog becomes more accustomed to it, then it would be a good answer for raiding.

If you're in a position where you have to crate your puppy to go to work, it could be feeding in to its destructive behavior because it has many hours sitting with no energy release. Again, I'd recommend a doggy daycare or someone who can sit with your puppy and exercise them if this is any kind of option for you.

I've also heard of treadmills working to drain off a lot of destructive energy, and with some patience, that could work too. There are many videos on YouTube that will guide you on how to do it without harming the dog.
04/11/2018 11:09 AMPosted by Evilkinz
You play WoW?

I got a Siberian Husky puppy December 23rd, and she's about 5 1/2 months old now. She will NOT let me play WoW. She will eat the carpet, the couch, anything she can put her teeth into. Basically, I can only try to sneak on when she's asleep.

How do you keep your dogs(or any pet) busy to play video games?

I miss playing WoW, but I feel way too guilty about putting her in her crate during the day when I'm home
Huskies are working dogs, they need LOTS of activity everyday, or they go screwy from boredom. You need to work them, play/obedience/walks... One thing you might try is running the dog on a treadmill everyday. If he/she gets enough exercise, they'll sleep when you play.
I have a 4 yr old rescue. When she was still a pup it was tough to sit down at a PC without her begging for attention unless she was tired and fed. I live in a city so that means long walks several times a day with stops at places she can play with other dogs. Nothing tires her out more than playing with other dogs.

Once she hit 3 she calmed down, though can still be a nudge when she thinks I'm too absorbed in something.

I also recommend something she can chew on that isn't a toy. I give mine one of those long bones filled with peanut butter. Takes her attention away for a while.

Some of it is adjusting to new routines - her getting use to yours and you getting use to hers - when she needs to play, walk, etc... Puppies are tough, they take a lot of work and can be frustrating as hell sometimes, but I would give up gaming before I gave up my dog.