Why is Silvermoon...

General Discussion
...called Silvermoon? There's almost nothing silver over there! And blood elves theme their stuff after the sun and fire!

I think we should call it "Goldensun"!
I think it should be called Kevin.
Call it "Stuck in bc content LOL"
Bloodsun city would've been a fitting name.

But nowadays I figure it'll get conquered by nelfs and void elves, while Belfs conquer Bloodmyst and remake Azuremyst like Eversong
I would imagine because at the time in game releases when High Elves were a part of the Alliance, the lore for the race hadn't been more fully fleshed out, in particular the dichotomy between High Elves and Night Elves. As such, names for things were based more on popular Elven conceptual lore of the day as borrowed from other mediums and franchises rather than as the more fleshed-out culture and lore we have now.

High Elves drew parallels with Elf races from Dungeons and Dragons and such, and over time they were adapted into something uniquely Blizzard's own.

But, since it's hard to rename a city at that point, they just stuck with it. Or at least, that's what I figure anyway.
Why is Washinton called Washinton? That place looks unwashed.
if they used

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

their SQL server would likely crash
There's a city named Silverymoon in D&D Forgotten Realms. Blizz probably liked the name
I don't know.

Silvermoon has been called Silvermoon since Warcraft 2 though.
04/15/2018 07:04 PMPosted by Skytotem

But nowadays I figure it'll get conquered by nelfs and void elves, while Belfs conquer Bloodmyst and remake Azuremyst like Eversong

I'll be really mad if this happens. Not to mention it's a disaster waiting to happen with the void elves going anywhere near the Sunwell.
04/15/2018 07:13 PMPosted by Nakothi
04/15/2018 07:04 PMPosted by Skytotem

I'll be really mad if this happens. Not to mention it's a disaster waiting to happen with the void elves going anywhere near the Sunwell.

I shudder at the thought. Void Elves corrupting Sunwell and using it as a conduit to summon Void Lords. Uhh
04/15/2018 07:16 PMPosted by Lovebreaker
04/15/2018 07:13 PMPosted by Nakothi

I shudder at the thought. Void Elves corrupting Sunwell and using it as a conduit to summon Void Lords. Uhh

You just said what the next expansion is about.
~Blizzard, probably
When you're an addict all the colours look the same. :P
Sorry for not having an exact source, but I seem to remember that when the High Elves populated Quel'thalas and began to build their city, they decided to name it 'Silvermoon' as a reminder of their ancient heritage, their heritage being that of the Kaldorei who worship Elune, the moon Goddess.

The High Elves evolved from the Highborne, the upper caste of the Kaldorei Empire. Despite being fairly isolated from the rest of the population, they still worshiped Elune. This only changed after they arrived in Quel'thalas, when they turned away from worshiping the moon in favour of the sun, but again, they decided to name their capital 'Silvermoon' as a reminder of that heritage.
They thought Goldmoon was a little too gaudy when they were naming it.
the silverpine forest isn't silver either ... or is it -_o?
It was formerly known as "The Convocation of Silvermoon", and it was before they actually had any clue that they'd be expanding the lore beyond a couple RTS games.
Why is Stormwind City called Stormwind? There's nothing stormy about it.
04/15/2018 08:26 PMPosted by Cafénoir

Because the Horde “stormed” it. Get it?!
04/15/2018 08:26 PMPosted by Cafénoir

To me it’s a silly compound word like “sunlight”. You could just say “sun.”

This plant needs sunlight.

This plant needs sun.

Not sure I can think of an example of a storm without wind. Other than the eye of a hurricane.