Why is Silvermoon...

General Discussion
04/15/2018 08:26 PMPosted by Cafénoir
Why is Stormwind City called Stormwind? There's nothing stormy about it.

I'm sure it rains there sometimes. Being near the sea has to have a quite a few storms.
Yeah Stormwind does have the most unusual name when you think about the other human nations

Lordaeron, Gilneas, Kul Tiras, Dalaran, Stromgarde, Alterac... STORM WIND

Or you got Iron Forge, Shadow Forge.... Grim Batol?...

Also you never hear any thunder or see any lightning over Thunder Bluff

And what kind of name is Darnassus? Darn Asses?
04/15/2018 07:06 PMPosted by Regg
I would imagine because at the time in game releases when High Elves were a part of the Alliance, the lore for the race hadn't been more fully fleshed out, in particular the dichotomy between High Elves and Night Elves. As such, names for things were based more on popular Elven conceptual lore of the day as borrowed from other mediums and franchises rather than as the more fleshed-out culture and lore we have now.

High Elves drew parallels with Elf races from Dungeons and Dragons and such, and over time they were adapted into something uniquely Blizzard's own.

But, since it's hard to rename a city at that point, they just stuck with it. Or at least, that's what I figure anyway.
This probably is exactly the reason why.

But from a retcon perspective, the name was a tribute to their old elven heritage the Highborne once knew previously as Night elves. They struck out anew and abandoned Moon worship, in favor of the Sun after Dath'remar Sunstrider created the Sunwell (so named in honor of him). But moon worship never ceased to be a part of their heritage in the past either.

It's not quite as odd as it seems on its face given their history.
The in canon reason is because during the original founding of Silvermoon, the then still Highborne still had worship to Elune, even some still having druids at this time. The city was thus named after Elune, Silvermoon. However, the Highborne begin to change into High Elves, and thus they had a cultural shift to "sun" worship you might say. There is a few examples of this old connection to the Nightborne in lore, few examples:

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Caer_Darrow#Ancient_History

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Silvermoon_City

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Lament_of_the_Highborne

High Elves, and now blood elves, still used terms such as Highborne to describe themselves, or the naming conventions of their earlier time before Elune worship was abandoned. Its pretty neat.
The name is more related to their origins I would think... Afterall the High Elves were decendants of the Highborne Night Elves who were banished from Kalimdor... when they founded Silvermoon they were still Highborne Night Elves, as such worship of Elune was still prevelant in their culture. The current Blood Elf population is the result of the Sunwell's power altering the children of the Highborne... Thus the name Sin'dorai "Blood of the Highborne".

So... Silvermoon was founded by Night Elves... that's why it has a moon themed name.
04/15/2018 07:01 PMPosted by Blobbs
I think it should be called Kevin.

*Bob.
04/16/2018 10:42 AMPosted by Nutts
the High Elves were decendants of the Highborne Night Elves who were banished from Kalimdor
Not just descendants, in many cases ex-HIghborne themselves.
It is not an unusual name, it has to do with their Highborne heritage and worshiping Elune.

High Elves/Blood Elves/Void Elves used to be upper class Night Elves before the founding of Silvermoon.

Their creation of the Sunwell is what changed them to look the way they do.
The name is more related to their origins I would think... Afterall the High Elves were decendants of the Highborne Night Elves who were banished from Kalimdor... when they founded Silvermoon they were still Highborne Night Elves, as such worship of Elune was still prevelant in their culture. The current Blood Elf population is the result of the Sunwell's power altering the children of the Highborne... Thus the name Sin'dorai "Blood of the Highborne".

So... Silvermoon was founded by Night Elves... that's why it has a moon themed name.
Yes and no, current Night Elves are not direct descendants of the original Highborne Night Elves that founded the city.

The city will always belong to the High Elves/Blood Elves/Void Elves and will be their original birth place that they created for themselves.

Yeah but it doesn't look like a penguin?
04/16/2018 11:22 AMPosted by Ythisens

Can you tell us if Mag'har Orcs are from "Alternate Draenor" or from "Outlands", please?
04/16/2018 11:25 AMPosted by Urmog

Can you tell us if Mag'har Orcs are from Alternate Draenor or from Outlands, please?
alternate draenor

I, for one, support the rise of the Kingdom of Penguin!
04/16/2018 11:25 AMPosted by Withpuppys
...Can you tell us if Mag'har Orcs are from Alternate Draenor or from Outlands, please?
alternate draenor
Source?
Well they were gonna name it Goldmoon, but they were afraid the Alliance would show up and start having sex all over it.
04/16/2018 11:32 AMPosted by Kaijia
Well they were gonna name it Goldmoon, but they were afraid the Alliance would show up and start having sex all over it.

Hey, nothing wrong with gold.
04/16/2018 11:35 AMPosted by Roderiick
04/16/2018 11:32 AMPosted by Kaijia

Hey, nothing wrong with gold.

Tell that to Goldshire.
Silvermoon was founded and named while the elves there still considered themselves Highborne, and it was an homage to the night elven heritage and Elune.

Back in WC2 when they were introduced, it was presumably just because elves (as the only type of elves at the time) had carte blanche over themes regarding the sun, moon, and stars, as is often the case in fantasy. Any celestial body was fair game.
It's a play on sailormoon.

All the dainty, hyper feminine, elves running around.
Heck the females model darn near looks pulled straight from sailormoon.

All they need is the super short skirts and a hairstyle with crazy long ponytails and it'd be a lawsuit waiting to happen,lol.
04/15/2018 07:13 PMPosted by Nakothi
04/15/2018 07:04 PMPosted by Skytotem
Bloodsun city would've been a fitting name.

But nowadays I figure it'll get conquered by nelfs and void elves, while Belfs conquer Bloodmyst and remake Azuremyst like Eversong

I'll be really mad if this happens. Not to mention it's a disaster waiting to happen with the void elves going anywhere near the Sunwell.

It's not, they've already said that Draenei and Belf starter zones will be left alone. What the lore implications are of that, I don't know, but I'd imagine that the Draenei at least are just going to chill on the Vindicaar.