Alliance High Elves as a Playable Race

General Discussion
Prev 1 16 17 18 26 Next
<span class="truncated">...</span>

I just watched the recruitment quest again since it had been a while, and I'm not sure I'd call her attitude there "single minded determination", though it is pretty clear she wants Silvermoon back with the Alliance. But the extent of the dialogue in that particular quest is her coming to Lor'themar with Anduin's request and Lor'themar cutting her off mid sentence with his rejection of it before they snark back and forth at each other. There aren't any further declarative statements about her wanting to "take back" the city outside of that in the scenario.

I do feel like I remember there being a more direct quote of Alleria stating her intentions to have her homeland back as an eventuality and not a possibility, but I don't remember where that actually is in the game now that I'm thinking about it, so it's possible this wound up getting Mandela Effected over the course of these threads.

*chuckles* I like your use of "Mandela Effected" even though it's a copout to admitting you may have remembered the scenario incorrectly.

I'm not trying to pretend that I didn't. That's exactly what the term means, haha.
04/25/2018 10:30 AMPosted by Altharien
04/25/2018 10:28 AMPosted by Serpent
oooo gawdddddd

more posts about BLOODELVES WITH BLUE EYES

this is NOT world of elfcraft

WHY do we need MORE elves!!!!!!

we have so many elves

void elves
nightbourne
blood elves
night elves

now you want high elves too?

why can't we have 4 different undead then too?

or 6 different kinds of taurens, maybe 13 different humans and while we are at it, 7 different kind of gnomes. gnomes with red eyes, gnomes with silver eyes, i think we also need a gnome with a birthmark

rolling eyes

omggaaahd

why does every xpac have to be about ORCS?

We have had orcs in Cata, Orcs in MoP, orcs in WoD

and now Mag'har orcs?

rolling eyes

i dont care for orcs either but we don't exactly have 4 different orcs to choose from and no one is whining about more orcs.

and rly, not many people care about expansion storylines when it comes to it. if there was an elf story line i wouldnt care, just stop putting in more elves in place of something that could actually be interesting. what is so interesting about the blood elf model with blue eyes? it's boring, it's repetitive, it's overdone and ... yawn
If high elves can speak Thalassian, then there would be a LOT of trash talking and insulting in the game. That and the world pvp changes would cause chaos on Azeroth.
04/25/2018 10:34 AMPosted by Serpent
i dont care for orcs either but we don't exactly have 4 different orcs to choose from and no one is whining about more orcs.

If Night/High Elf variants are being grouped together, even if they hardly look anything alike, then Orc and Troll variants can also be grouped together, huh?

Trolls are just skinnier orcs with bigger tusks after all.

*files nails*

04/25/2018 10:34 AMPosted by Althenar
If high elves can speak Thalassian, then there would be a LOT of trash talking and insulting in the game. That and the world pvp changes would cause chaos on Azeroth.

Eh, not really. Void Elves speak Thalassian, and I've never heard of such incidents...

We can PVP in a video game without actually turning hostile hehe
04/25/2018 10:27 AMPosted by Withpuppys
correction, he said blood elves and void elves were different flavors. and something being a different flavor does not make it the same thing, chocolate ice cream is not the same as vanilla

This is something that one of those two won't understand. I'm sure you know who I'm referring to. In fact they may argue that they are the same because they are ice cream. Ice cream is actually a great way to put it and now I want some...This situation has been explained in numerous ways for people to understand. We've used various outside comparisons to explain the how this all works and nothing got through. I think it's like over there head by now to understand. My best advice is of the two you replied to. 1 isn't here to discuss or offer ways to make this work. They are here to argue, derail, and try to start something to make a lot of us look bad so he can prove a false point.

But back to the ice cream...looks like I'm going to have to get some now.
I remember back in Burning Crusade when Blood Elves were announced for the Horde. I was disappointed that the Alliance got a retconned Draenei race while the elves joined the Horde - especially after WarCraft II and the whole "Burn Quel'thalas and desecrate their runestones" thing - but I was still excited.

I've always enjoyed the WarCraft Elves, but the Frozen Throne's Blood Elf campaign was really something else and I looked forward to continuing the story.

Then Burning Crusade dropped...and Silvermoon was filled with demonic fel crystals. Citizenry were being detailed by guards. Maigisters were mind controlling dissidents. We were torturing a Naaru and siphoning off the Light, rather then use it as a source of faith.

The Blood Elves of the Horde weren't the Blood Elves I'd remembered. More then that, when Kael'thas was revealed to be a pawn of Kil'jaeden, I was furious. Kael was one of the best characters in the Frozen Throne and he's relegated to be a screaming madman rather than the racial leader of a iconic race of the franchise.

My excited gave way to apathy. Before Burning Crusade launched, I was telling all my friends that when Blood Elves became available, I was going to roll one of every kind, fill my roster with elves. I was that big a fan.

Goldwing here only exists because I faction changed my Human Hunter in a move I now actually regret, so once the cooldown is done he'll be gone again. I'm only posting on him to prove a point.

BC came and went, and then Wrath of the Lich King released with a unexpected twist...the Alliance's sponsors in Dalaran were the Silver Covenant. The High Elves. They were light on characterization, but when the Argent Tournament came about, I ground out exalted and the tokens necessary to buy the Quel'dorei Steed, even if no Alliance Race looked right on it. But I stayed with the Alliance because the High Elves of the Silver Covenant continued to play a role. The High Elves were still relevant. The Blood Elves got their redemption story, but little in the way of forward story momentum. I know lore wise, the Fel Crystals dotting Silvermoon are gone, but they still don't show much in the way of veneration for the Light even with the Sunwell's restoration, and nothing's been done to address the Totalitarian regime left in Kael'thas' place. You'd have thought with the revelation that Kael'thas was working with the Legion his hand picked regent would have been quickly ousted...but then again the Horde's leadership is a wonky thing. The goblins of the Bilgewater Cartel are still bound to the leadership of the Goblin who enslaved them all.

The point to this ramble is this. I want to play as a Elf. Not as a Almost Ethereal Elf or as the Totalitarian Blood Elves, or the "We lost our racial identity when WoW launched" Night Elves. I want to play as a child of the forest, masters of both the wood and the arcane.

I want to be a High Elf. More then that, I want to be an ALLIANCE High Elf. While I enjoy the story of the Nightborne, the Blood Elves of the Horde remain sullied to me.
I love the fact that the very 1st question in the Q&A is about high elves (although a neutral question at best). And with the most upvotes.

But I find it funny because in almost every page of that thread there's a high elf question, but all asking the basics if/how/when.

Yet apparently no antagonizing questions (at least that I could catch) from the anti people.
04/25/2018 10:36 AMPosted by Wiccan

If Night/High Elf variants are being grouped together, even if they hardly look anything alike, then Orc and Troll variants can also be grouped together, huh?

Trolls are just skinnier orcs with bigger tusks after all.

*files nails*

04/25/2018 10:34 AMPosted by Althenar

Eh, not really. Void Elves speak Thalassian, and I've never heard of such incidents...

We can PVP in a video game without actually turning hostile hehe

dont care for trolls either but they look substantially different from orcs. high elves are literally, blood elves with blue eyes. like... wth? at least void elves look interesting. i can't believe the squabble over this from the alliance side. you're all just salty youre getting fat humans
04/25/2018 10:38 AMPosted by Ravndryn
This is something that one of those two won't understand. I'm sure you know who I'm referring to. In fact they may argue that they are the same because they are ice cream. Ice cream is actually a great way to put it and now I want some...This situation has been explained in numerous ways for people to understand. We've used various outside comparisons to explain the how this all works and nothing got through. I think it's like over there head by now to understand. My best advice is of the two you replied to. 1 isn't here to discuss or offer ways to make this work. They are here to argue, derail, and try to start something to make a lot of us look bad so he can prove a false point.

You know what he meant, you just need to look at the context.

"What about High Elves?"

"Blood Elves are pretty much High Elves"

That's a pretty straight response saying that High Elves are already playable in the form of Blood Elves. But some want to understand, some does not.
I also smirk a little at the 'you just want to play a blue-eyed blood elf' accusation. Actually I WANT to play a black-haired high elf with non-glowing green eyes and warpaint.
@Goldwing

Very fair points!

Though my biggest dissapointment with Blood Elves were at the end of BC when their main dramaturgical plot got solved! They got the sunwell back, no more mana addicts that siphoned light off a Naaru or people that lived in the constant shadow of becoming Wretched.

I mean, okay I get that story can move on, but it's up to Blizzard to decide the direction. And they went with the most boring way possible.
04/25/2018 10:43 AMPosted by Mardrigala
I also smirk a little at the 'you just want to play a blue-eyed blood elf' accusation. Actually I WANT to play a black-haired high elf with non-glowing green eyes and warpaint.

OK so now you just don't want belf characteristics but you want that and more. Stop stealing races. High Elves are Horde4ever. Those elves in the Alliance could rename themselves to Human Elves or something.
04/25/2018 10:46 AMPosted by PlayerSYTCMM
OK so now you just don't want belf characteristics but you want that and more.
kinda like what horde got with nightborne. they got the night elf characteristics and more.

High Elves are Horde4ever.
except they aren't. high elves have been staunch supporters of the alliance throughout wow and have often represented the alliance in numerous conflicts, like wrath, the purge of dalaran, the thunderking and the insurrection just to name a few.
04/25/2018 10:41 AMPosted by PlayerSYTCMM
04/25/2018 10:38 AMPosted by Ravndryn

"What about High Elves?"

That's a pretty straight response saying that High Elves are already playable in the form of Blood Elves. But some want to understand, some does not.

Blood Elves are High Elves. Period. We know that.

But "High Elves" are ALSO High Elves. These are on the alliance as NPCs.

People fail to get that while Ion was referring to species, we here are referring to a political group.

That would be roughly the same (hypothetical situation) of pre 7.3.5, Horde asking for Nightborne before they were implemented and I come there saying "Night Elves are pretty much Nightborne".
04/25/2018 10:48 AMPosted by Withpuppys
OK so now you just don't want belf characteristics but you want that and more.
kinda like what horde got with nightborne

High Elves are Horde4ever.
except they aren't. high elves have been staunch supporters of the alliance throughout wow and have often represented the alliance in numerous conflicts, like wrath, the purge of dalaran, the thunderking and the insurrection just to name a few.

Eh, best not to try and have a discussion with this guy. There's a reason his name is what it is, and he's using the same tired circular arguments that have already been debunked numerous times. He's not here for a discussion.

No, because they're giving you all the clans in one tab instead of making you wait individually for Blackrock, Frostwolf, Shattered Hand, Bleeding Hollow, Warsong, and Shadowmoon. And even letting them all be Priests to accommodate this even though it doesn't make any sense.
04/25/2018 10:50 AMPosted by Lumineus
. And even letting them all be Priests to accommodate this even though it doesn't make any sense.

If the tea is correct and we snatch those Mag'har from a future AU Draenor (compared to the playable AU draenor timeline), then there is time for development and a proper explanation of this class. Possibly for Shadowmoon.
04/25/2018 10:40 AMPosted by Serpent
you're all just salty youre getting fat humans

Are you joking? Have you seen the Kul'Tiras Druid forms? Eldrich Horror Wicker Beasts are awesome!

04/25/2018 10:41 AMPosted by PlayerSYTCMM

"What about High Elves?"

As I pointed out, some of us who wanted to play Blood Elves got turned off hard by their story and personality shift. I don't like where the Blood Elves went, and subsequent expansions revealed that those who became Blood Elves - namely High Elves - were still active and sufficiently numbered enough to merit multiple military outfits and excursions to different parts of the world.

Allied Races mean just that - races of people who are allied with a specific faction. The High Elves meet every criteria for that. It's nonsense to not give the Alliance the option for them, honestly.
bad idea