Alliance High Elves as a Playable Race

General Discussion
Prev 1 20 21 22 26 Next
04/25/2018 12:16 PMPosted by Mardrigala
Honestly, I think the main issue with the concept of allied races is that the Horde just flat-out has more options that either should have been part of their faction to begin with, or at least are believable, lore-wise, for them to join up with them.

For example, typing up a list of existing/confirmed current and upcoming races for the Horde, there were more choices that could seamlessly be added to them (without major story hand-waving being involved) than for the Alliance.

Horde realistic potential allied races:

Blightcaller Forsaken A lot of people don't like the exposed bones on the original undead, and this would give the Horde a version of the human model.

Stonemaul Ogres (should have been there from the beginning, and since they have the large-framed Kul Tiran models now, tweaking them into ogres would be easy and would finally give a female model for ogres)

San'layn/Darkfallen (the last realistic elf option. You could argue that simple undead high elves makes more sense, since the original Forsaken DID consist of both undead humans and high elves, but their models are basically just blood elves with red eyes, so going with San'layn instead would give them more customization options and distinct feel (and would have heritage armor built-in with the blood prince/queen get-up).

Forest trolls (Along with Drakkari ice trolls, Forest trolls are considerably more bulky than the jungle trolls and would be distinctive from the Darkspear and Zandalari)

Mok'nathal (Rexxar as racial leader, enough said).

Vulpera (to give Horde a *cute* race using the goblin rig)

Less likely but still possible to hand-wave in:

Leper Gnomes (already exist in Silvermoon City (under the tailoring shop) and in Undercity).

Manari Eredar ('Unemployed' former members of the Legion, see that the Alliance contains their 'traitorous' cousins and enter into an alliance of convenience with the Horde, much like the Forsaken and blood elves originally did. Would give the Horde access to the Draenei model).

Naga (with Azshara being a main antagonist in BfA (and probably killed no less), and with Sethrak having a two-legged model. It would be an easy hand-wave to say that a faction of naga break free and that their old-god corruption is lessened to the extent that they can assume a two-legged form (they could still assume full naga form in water, but this would solve the mount and armor issues and they already have male and female models). The presence of blood elves and actual Highborne make them joining the Horde far more believable.

But for the Alliance? Really High elves were THE most believable allied race and it's beyond stupid that we got pulled out of nowhere 'void' elves instead.

High elves (Have always been here and should have been our first allied race)

Wildhammer dwarves Ditto, should have always been there and should have come before Dark Irons since Dark Irons have a history of being antagonistic, not the Wildhammers.

Furbolg (would be a variant on the pandaren model and furbolg have traditionally been night elf allies)

Sethrak (if Vulpera DO go Horde)

Frostborn dwarves (ARE our allies already)

Uncorrupted Arakkoa? (This is a stretch, but if Horde could go to AU Draenor and recruit the Mag'har, we could do the same and convince the Arakkoa)

I would add Taunka to the Horde's list of ready-made Allied Race options, they literally were recruited into the Horde already, just need to be made playable. Also Jinyu for Alliance and Hozen for Horde respectively for the same reasons. Also there's a really good argument that Furbolg and Arakkoa are in the "neutral race" pool (Furbolg have similar ties to the Tauren).

But overall I think this is a really valid point, the pool of easy Alliance Allied Races just doesn't go that deep, particularly if we start taking stuff off the table.

At a certain point Alliance is just out of their traditional allies to include and you start having to either come up with box-checking options for the sake of it that would barely see play (I don't doubt that someone out there wants to play a mechagnome or Frostborn Dwarf, but I can't imagine they'll generate a ton of excitement), come up with options we've never heard of before for the sake of filling a quota, or start dipping into the neutral race pool... in which case we have the Nightborne (or arguably High Elf) scenario all over again because people on both sides are going to want Ethereals or Arakkoa to go to their faction (we already see this argument play out every time someone brings up Vrykul as an Alliance wish list AR).
Honestly, I think the main issue with the concept of allied races is that the Horde just flat-out has more options that either should have been part of their faction to begin with, or at least are believable, lore-wise, for them to join up with them.

For example, typing up a list of existing/confirmed current and upcoming races for the Horde, there were more choices that could seamlessly be added to them (without major story hand-waving being involved) than for the Alliance.

Horde realistic potential allied races:

Blightcaller Forsaken A lot of people don't like the exposed bones on the original undead, and this would give the Horde a version of the human model.

Stonemaul Ogres (should have been there from the beginning, and since they have the large-framed Kul Tiran models now, tweaking them into ogres would be easy and would finally give a female model for ogres)

San'layn/Darkfallen (the last realistic elf option. You could argue that simple undead high elves makes more sense, since the original Forsaken DID consist of both undead humans and high elves, but their models are basically just blood elves with red eyes, so going with San'layn instead would give them more customization options and distinct feel (and would have heritage armor built-in with the blood prince/queen get-up).

Forest trolls (Along with Drakkari ice trolls, Forest trolls are considerably more bulky than the jungle trolls and would be distinctive from the Darkspear and Zandalari)

Mok'nathal (Rexxar as racial leader, enough said).

Vulpera (to give Horde a *cute* race using the goblin rig)

Less likely but still possible to hand-wave in:

Leper Gnomes (already exist in Silvermoon City (under the tailoring shop) and in Undercity).

Manari Eredar ('Unemployed' former members of the Legion, see that the Alliance contains their 'traitorous' cousins and enter into an alliance of convenience with the Horde, much like the Forsaken and blood elves originally did. Would give the Horde access to the Draenei model).

Naga (with Azshara being a main antagonist in BfA (and probably killed no less), and with Sethrak having a two-legged model. It would be an easy hand-wave to say that a faction of naga break free and that their old-god corruption is lessened to the extent that they can assume a two-legged form (they could still assume full naga form in water, but this would solve the mount and armor issues and they already have male and female models). The presence of blood elves and actual Highborne make them joining the Horde far more believable.

But for the Alliance? Really High elves were THE most believable allied race and it's beyond stupid that we got pulled out of nowhere 'void' elves instead.

High elves (Have always been here and should have been our first allied race)

Wildhammer dwarves Ditto, should have always been there and should have come before Dark Irons since Dark Irons have a history of being antagonistic, not the Wildhammers.

Furbolg (would be a variant on the pandaren model and furbolg have traditionally been night elf allies)

Sethrak (if Vulpera DO go Horde)

Frostborn dwarves (ARE our allies already)

Uncorrupted Arakkoa? (This is a stretch, but if Horde could go to AU Draenor and recruit the Mag'har, we could do the same and convince the Arakkoa)
Very good post!

Broken, Vrykul and Jinyu could probably be added to the Alliance list. They all have their issues, though (Broken have no female model and Lightforged may have taken their "spot", Vrykul may be too tall and we are getting Kul TIran which may have also taken their "spot", Jinyu also have no female model, and I'm not sure how popular they are anyway).

The Horde definitely seem to have more options. I just hope Blizzard deals out some "fan favorites" instead of giving us new races >.< Sethrak are definitely unique and I know some people like the idea, but please don't give us a bunch of random new races... :/
04/25/2018 11:55 AMPosted by Altharien
04/25/2018 11:10 AMPosted by Grøm
Mythios, I just want to say that you're doing great work here in keeping the dream alive.

For all those who don't want High Elves in the game...

...don't play one.

based orc right here

Seriously, though. I don't understand why people are getting so upset over someone else's desire to play a particular race.

I mean... I don't think Void Elves should be a thing... but some people like them, so whatever.

I just won't play one.
04/25/2018 12:06 PMPosted by Adregore
I'm ALL YOU PEOPLE ARE SO WORRIED ABOUT PLAYER CHARACTER AVATARS YET GCD, CLASS CHANGES, SPECLOCKED ARTIFACT APPEARANCES, AND THE GREATEST CRIME OF ALL, SURAMAR AND GILNEAS ARE NOT PLAYABLE CITIES. SHAME ON ALL OF YOU.

:)))

Playable high elves are the only thing that matters.
04/25/2018 12:41 PMPosted by Serpent
blue eyes so speeecal

Blue eyes for team blue.

We alliance have special eyes.
I vote no to high elves, if only just to see your tears when you never get them.
04/25/2018 12:41 PMPosted by Gornems
I vote no to high elves, if only just to see your tears when you never get them.

Ow.

I just cut myself on your edge.

You should really come with your own warning label.
04/25/2018 12:41 PMPosted by Garrondorf
blue eyes so speeecal

Blue eyes for team blue.

What about brown eyes? :(

they'll prob get em and it will be funny because it literally will make no difference in the characteristics the alliance want due to tmogs and gear. it will be just more indistinguishable elves running around that are skinnier and look more like supermodels which really, is the counterpart to the fat humans they are getting that they were so outraged by. there is no depth here and people sprouting lore are reaching to further push the case of more mediocre elves.

Horde have more options then Carter's use to have pills. ( not sure if they're in business anymore...)) There's an idea that occurred to me that is a possibility and would even give more incentive to being a horde, though I'm afraid of stating spoilers...but with some of the content I've seen there's an idea that would drive the horde into a frenzy to want and could even be possible.

I don't care about the favoritism I don't even know if it really exist or not. All I do know is that there's a heck of a lot of stuff that the horde has wanted and is getting. I pat you all on the back and say congrats and I admit I'll be playing a few of them. I really want a frostwolf orc..looks like I can have one now.

However, and I really don't want to make this about being fair or sound like I'm whining about it, because I really am not. I'm merely stating a fact. There's not one Allied Race on the Alliance side that anyone has asked for accept for Dark Iron Dwarves...and from what I've been hearing over the few servers I've been on, more people would prefer WH Dwarves over Dark Iron.

Now I get that blizzard can't please every single player, that's impossible. However, they can listen to what alliance players are asking for and give them the few races that they have been asking for, after that go all out I don't care.

Someone mentioned it earlier and I highly agree with what they said...They mentioned that they should have really finished out the actual races that are part of the Alliance and part of the Horde then start to add in the ... I'll call them the odd ones...High Elves and Wildhammer Dwarves have been vital and really should have come first. Lightforged is fine in that they had a story arc and were vital to Argus. Void Elves should have come later with a lot more hype...

People complain that there's "too many elves" it's a fantasy game I'd like to see more Elves, Trolls, Orcs, dwarves, and other gnomes ( mecha-gnome ). I want more variety and more to chose from. You know what it might actually be something to where I stop seeing the another player that looks exactly like I do. There's not a limited amount of slots. Not in one conversation have they said there's only going to be 6 for each...they can add allied races from now until WoW ends. The limitations on this number of slot thing came from the player base.

<span class="truncated">...</span>

Blue eyes for team blue.

I have green eyes clearly I'm a blood elf :D

[quote]watch out we got a badass over here

/giggles behind her hand

oh my. that's...it's like..beautiful

You will be a lot more disappointed than us. We aren't children, we can face reality.
blue eyes so speeecal

Blue eyes for team blue.

my brand!

You sound like a really healthy person. Hope you're enjoying your Wednesday as much as I am. It's a warm beautiful day outside.
04/25/2018 12:54 PMPosted by Withpuppys

Blue eyes for team blue.

my brand!

I was thinking the same thing :)

Also, yet another reminder not to engage with trolls. After everything we've gone through do you really want to lower yourself right before the potential finishline tomorrow?

Post why you want High Elves, How you want them to look, Who you want to lead them, Where they should be based in, and how you'd like to see them added!