Alliance High Elves as a Playable Race

General Discussion
Prev 1 23 24 25 26 Next
04/25/2018 01:57 PMPosted by Vitaminsee
04/25/2018 01:52 PMPosted by Talendrion
At the end of the day, it just has always been a bummer that only humans in WoW seem to have different ethnicities. It's really a shame when the concept of diversity is considered, yet still fails to encompass beyond the obvious option.

Although I'm optimistic, with WoD and now the Mag'har as playable race, Blizz has given orcs a lot more of customization options in terms of skin tone. And even NB who literally have 3 skin tones if you put the three side by side you can see how different they actually are, they make for a pretty wide spectrum if we fill the in betweens.

i really love the darker one with the stark white top knot hair. beautiful. and the male is so iconic looking.

High contrast is really such an easy and powerfull way to make a character recognizable, it's the SHABLAM factor of it all, That's why VE are kinda meh in terms of options; you can only get contrast with the pale skins (which are 4 with a different undertone) and a dark hair. But this is besides the point of me wishing VE had lighter hairstyles and darker skin tones.
04/25/2018 02:09 PMPosted by Seger
04/25/2018 02:06 PMPosted by Wyspers
Just leaving this here because Alliance Spellbreakers.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w73/Dulafen/Spellbreaker02.jpg

I would love to play a spellbreaker, they have strong defense aganist magic

careful there. defense against the dark arts, perhaps, but defense against all schools of magic will earn them the op racials rep and people will flood to alliance for endgame, thus ruining the game for both sides .
Especially since, let's be honest, Quel'dorei de-volved from a race of elves with literally purple skin.
Especially since, let's be honest, Quel'dorei de-volved from a race of elves with literally dark purple skin.

fixed that for ya. hehe
04/25/2018 01:00 PMPosted by Galkurion
Post why you want High Elves, How you want them to look, Who you want to lead them, Where they should be based in, and how you'd like to see them added!

So I've answered this, but I'm going to do it again just so I have it out there and may use it throughout more threads.

My reasoning for High Elves has a lot to do with my own Native American Heritage and the tribe that I am a part of. While Tauren represent Native Americans very well, I feel High Elves represent my specific tribe, so in a way I kind of feel connected to High Elves. My tribe was once part of a larger tribe that splintered off due to different points of view and ideas. Now neither one is really bad per say and I can't largely speak for the tribe that I splintered from because I only grew up in the tribe as it is now. However, the way my people speak they thought how there original tribe was handling things and the direction they were going was wrong and didn't want any part of it. To disassociate with their main tribe they splintered off and started anew.

To try and understand in simple ways, the tribe we left holds constant grudges and is always finding ways to fight with ( sorry for word usage )the white man over every thing. My tribe specifically wanted to find a way for both of us to coexist and work together. As it was told to me it took years for this to happen and in the end things workout between two different races.

So for me I see High Elves as a tribe. They were once Night Elves that splintered from them and we all know the story got distorted looks, and size changed over the years and boom we have High Elves. Now we know that their homeland was devastated by Arthas and the Scourge and the remainder of High Elves there became Blood Elves to honor their fallen kin. Which here is another "tribe" splintering from another. The High Elves that chose to stay as High Elves and continue to work with the Alliance speaks loudly to me as despite the bigotry and despite a lot of choices made, the High Elves desired to mend those wounds and settle there differences. They still believed in the idea of what the Alliance stood for over all. The major thing that I love most about them is that they show up, help out the alliance, and return to their respective "post" and asking for nothing in return not even a thank you. They do it out of gratitude and quite frankly represent selflessness. For me they are the hero of the story. The gratitude and all that remind me of stories my grandfather told me of aiding ( again sorry for word usage ) the white man through food, illnesses, and in times of battle. The way the story is told is they'd show up, help, leave, and not expect anything in return and in most cases never did.

Now I know that stories can be over exaggerated and they can be told from different points of view but the way I see High Elves, is how I see my tribe and yes we get called traitors for following our own path.

As for looks there was something that was posted earlier in the thread I can't find the link, but the work the person did looked great, I thought it was great way to make them unique and different from what the blood elf model looks.

Vitaminsee has shared the person's work a few times so maybe she can help me out there ;)...but it's very well done and I'd definitely use the model.

I do want to state that for me though it's not about the model, the skin or eye color. To me it's a lot of their story and I'd like to actually have a character of that story and go through the experience as a High Elf and see how it ends for them when it's all over with.

Leadership: This is a bit tricky for me because there's so much potential for story arcs and there's so much you could do with plots and plot twist. I think that if both Windrunner sisters shared an equal leadership role it would really help bring all the High Elves together because seeing both of them would show unity and a lot of elves hold the Windrunners in high regard...With that said, I could see Arator seeing his parents bring in people to help the war effort and he wanting to do something to show them he's all grown up and can help/lead too. So he could really be the driving force behind motivating the Windrunners....

As to where they should be based in, the lodge in the Hinterlands could be ideal and they could expand on that area. The could also spread themselves across EK and in and around Alliance Territories that would help show that they are bolstering alliance soldiers. I really think they could help areas that are dead like Westfall and bring some life to those areas.

Finally I would like to see them added in a way that kinda gives both Alleria and Vereesa that Sylvanas is beyond saving. Vereesa's angle would be to bring her down due to what she does to the Night Elves homes so she unifies the SC with the Alliance, and then Alleria I kinda feel she may hold somewhat of a grudge towards Lor'themar not hearing her out and calls on more High Elves to join the Alliance. I feel Alleria might do it to to sort of reach out towards the Blood Elves and kinda show them they're on the wrong side.

Sorry for length. Just some basic ideas. As I said for me it's got a lot to do with feeling connected to the race and the state the High Elves are in. The showing up, helping the alliance, and then returning to their "post" without wanting anything in return is my definition of a hero. I'm sure someone will rip this apart but it's where I stand and I won't waiver on this at all.

I am all aboard the High Elf Train!
High Elf Tyrande skin from HoTS (Blizzard's design):

https://bit.ly/2Fi41sa
04/25/2018 02:08 PMPosted by Talendrion
<span class="truncated">...</span> They don't have a unique model for everyone, and since when do the beings in one race in WoW vary that drastically from each other? I'm going to stick with my opinion. The Human and Elven genetics would end up making them look like the Half Elf in the artwork.

Humans in real life come in VASTLY different shape and sizes and colors, contrasts that would put even WoW races and sexual dimorphisim to shame. Yet in WoW, there is one shape, unless you are an NPC, or Kul'tiran.

As I said, WoW's customization doesn't encompass every possibility -boy, it really does the bare minimum compared to other games- and it's really naive to think people in WoW only can look like their models.

If you don't believe that a half, or quarter or 1/8 elf could "pass" as a High Elf because of how genetics work, that's up to you. There are people who think the earth is flat, so yeah.
That is how WoW is... This is World of Warcraft, not real life. Look at all the Art or anything else to do with Wow... All Humans look pretty much the same, all Dwarves, all Gnomes, it's just how WoW is. It would be weird to think that Half Elves are the only people that this fact wouldn't apply to. If Blizzard actually came out and said that Half Elves can look identical to High Elves and still have some that look like their own unique race, I would be super happy with all those options linked, they all look great
ravndryn

this? talendrion's models! based on night elf male+human with belf face
https://image.ibb.co/mCTr3c/HE_Male_Skintones.png
04/25/2018 02:13 PMPosted by Mardrigala
Especially since, let's be honest, Quel'dorei de-volved from a race of elves with literally purple skin.

*high pitched screech of agreement* I've thought this for years! Wouldn't a night elf with a darker skin gotten darker as a High Elf?? Does melanin exist in WoW? How would it affect a nocturnal race? Would melanogenesis have caused some NE skin tones to darken upon continued exposure to diurnal life?

??? There are so many possibilities!
04/25/2018 02:20 PMPosted by Talendrion
04/25/2018 02:13 PMPosted by Mardrigala

*high pitched screech of agreement* I've thought this for years! Wouldn't a night elf with a darker skin gotten darker as a High Elf?? Does melanin exist in WoW? How would it affect a nocturnal race? Would melanogenesis have caused some NE skin tones to darken upon continued exposure to diurnal life?

supposedly its the leylines in eastern kingdoms that causes their skin to lighten.
04/25/2018 01:39 PMPosted by Ývaine
So. I've stated this all before, but what the heck, I'll do it again.

I think the model updates to the Blood Elf is a sign that a future Allied race is coming that is going to use that base model. Blizzard didn't just fix the duck face after all these years for no reason after all.

I am biased, but I think that allied race in question is going to be High Elf on the Alliance. I do think blizzard is sincere when they said "play what you want" and I think they will live up to that with High Elves.

I think said High Elves will be Silver Covenant and build on Silver Covenant lore and theme.

I think these High Elves will have tattoos and unique animations (Human animations at the very least).

I also think we will will be told on Thursday that High Elves are in the works. Something along the lines of, "Yes, Alliance will get access to High Elves as an allied race in BFA - no we have nothing to share yet because we are still working on their models."

Obviously I'm not a psychic and I could be wrong. But right now, if i was to place a bet, this is what i would predict.

------

My reason WHY I think this are detailed in the numerous great threads this community has put together. In the current wow climate, there is no reason to deny playable Silver Covenant Elves.

That would be nifty if so.

I like your end quote as well.

Also posting for support.

Noticed a few people with native american heritage posting how their heritage connects them to some of the ideas for high elves. Pretty nifty stuff to learn and a very personal connection to the concept for playable Silver Covenant High Elves.

Humans in real life come in VASTLY different shape and sizes and colors, contrasts that would put even WoW races and sexual dimorphisim to shame. Yet in WoW, there is one shape, unless you are an NPC, or Kul'tiran.

As I said, WoW's customization doesn't encompass every possibility -boy, it really does the bare minimum compared to other games- and it's really naive to think people in WoW only can look like their models.

If you don't believe that a half, or quarter or 1/8 elf could "pass" as a High Elf because of how genetics work, that's up to you. There are people who think the earth is flat, so yeah.
That is how WoW is... This is World of Warcraft, not real life. Look at all the Art or anything else to do with Wow... All Humans look pretty much the same, all Dwarves, all Gnomes, it's just how WoW is. It would be weird to think that Half Elves are the only people that this fact wouldn't apply to. If Blizzard actually came out and said that Half Elves can look identical to High Elves and still have some that look like their own unique race, I would be super happy with all those options linked, they all look great

I mean let's be honest, Cinematic Anduin doesn't even look like cinematic Varian.

And one thing that is VERY important. "Half Elves" aren't a "race" of their own. They are literally people with both genomes. How they would express given that both races have different origins, it's a crapshoot! to believe there's one "likely and definable" expression of that hybridization is supper weird.

You say that the concept of a High Elf "passing" Half Elf couldn't exist, and I can't really agree with that notion because genetics are more complex than "you look half like your father and half like your mother"
04/25/2018 02:21 PMPosted by Vitaminsee
04/25/2018 02:20 PMPosted by Talendrion

supposedly its the leylines in eastern kingdoms that causes their skin to lighten.

What

Wait, why would they? there are ley lines in all of the planet lol.

Most sources imply it was gradual change caused by the change of the lifestyle/separation from Nordrassil, but the Ghostlands trilogy the change was instantaneous caused by the creation of the Sunwell itself.
04/25/2018 02:27 PMPosted by Talendrion
You say that the concept of a High Elf "passing" Half Elf couldn't exist, and I can't really agree with that notion because genetics are more complex than "you look half like your father and half like your mother"

[/quote]

for half elf , for high elf.......... all alliance
People like fantasy because they can find themselves in the story.

"The Light seeks one path and shuns all others as lies. The Shadow seeks every possible path and sees them all as truth."

This quote alone makes up for any problems with void elves to me. I see my Life in this statement.

In my opinion, if darker skin options help people feel more connected with their characters, they need to be added enmasse. A slight line of text can fill in any lore gaps.
Once again reminding everyone that you don't need to convince others of your ideas and just go in circles! Both opinions are shared for Blizzard to see, that's what's important :)

04/25/2018 02:31 PMPosted by Ývaine
In my opinion, if darker skin options help people more connect with their characters, they need to be added enmasse. A slight line of text can fill in any lore gaps.

My personal thoughts on the matter as well.
04/25/2018 02:32 PMPosted by Wiccan
Once again reminding everyone that you don't need to convince others of your ideas and just go in circles! Both opinions are shared for Blizzard to see, that's what's important :)

04/25/2018 02:31 PMPosted by Ývaine
In my opinion, if darker skin options help people more connect with their characters, they need to be added enmasse. A slight line of text can fill in any lore gaps.

My personal thoughts on the matter as well.

Make the friendliest and then best argument that you can come up with.
People like fantasy because they can find themselves in the story.

The Light seeks one path and shuns all others as lies. The Shadow seeks every possible path and sees them all as truth."

This alone makes up for any problems with void elves to me. I see my Life in this statement.

There's a lot of fantasy as a genre that is based on antiquated ideals; WoW, even as a new property in terms of longevity, still was created based into those tropes that harken back to Tolkien.

All of the races that have human like coloration are defaulted to Caucasian or light skin tones (human, gnomes, dwarves and elves) and only humans have the option to have a darker skin tone. Blizz understood that not every human should be white when they developed WoW -before that, there was nothing to suggest darker skinned human existed- so good for them! but still, they failed to see the other 3 races that were operating under the same antiquated tropes.

Just like they did on 2004 with WoW adding human diversity with just the simple idea of being able to choose a darker skinned human, it could happen for the other human colore races. And I hope so it does one day.
04/25/2018 02:27 PMPosted by Talendrion
... That is how WoW is... This is World of Warcraft, not real life. Look at all the Art or anything else to do with Wow... All Humans look pretty much the same, all Dwarves, all Gnomes, it's just how WoW is. It would be weird to think that Half Elves are the only people that this fact wouldn't apply to. If Blizzard actually came out and said that Half Elves can look identical to High Elves and still have some that look like their own unique race, I would be super happy with all those options linked, they all look great

I mean let's be honest, Cinematic Anduin doesn't even look like cinematic Varian.

And one thing that is VERY important. "Half Elves" aren't a "race" of their own. They are literally people with both genomes. How they would express given that both races have different origins, it's a crapshoot! to believe there's one "likely and definable" expression of that hybridization is supper weird.

Not to mention that we currently have three characters in game that have been identified as "Half Elves" (or at least taking that form). Arator clearly resembles a High Elf while Alodi and Kalec's models are much more human looking.

Yeah, there's arguably not a proper "half-elf" model in the game yet, but the game itself seems to suggest that there's genetic range of what the offspring of a human and elf would look like.

I will continue to maintain that there's no reason half-elves in WoW can't effectively "pass" for High Elves as a thing. If we absolutely have to "justify" the existence of darker skin tones (which is an utterly absurd requirement, but w/e), leaning into Elisande's accusation of the High Elves mingling with "lesser races" and "diluting" their bloodline and saying the introduction of some human genes/blood/whatever into the race (however minute, like its been said earlier "mixing" with humans doesn't need to mean a 50/50 split) seems fine to me.
04/25/2018 02:19 PMPosted by Vitaminsee
https://image.ibb.co/mCTr3c/HE_Male_Skintones.png

Yes that thanks. I love you for the vitaminsee you give me when I need it. :)