Alliance High Elves as a Playable Race

General Discussion
Prev 1 24 25 26 Next
04/25/2018 02:45 PMPosted by Tabasa
I will continue to maintain that there's no reason half-elves in WoW can't effectively "pass" for High Elves as a thing.

For Half-Elves - I would rather that added later as a sub-race to the various allied and main races for both factions.

Right now - all the races we're recruiting are 'allied races' - they are their own unique faction of sorts that are joining the Alliance or the Horde. They are not 'sub-races' - they are not a small population variety that lives within / part of another population. In a way, a sub-race is like a further customization of one of the main race selections.

In the future, if they were to add sub-races, I think Half-Elves would be one of the first to be added. They'd make more sense as that.
04/25/2018 02:21 PMPosted by Vitaminsee
04/25/2018 02:20 PMPosted by Talendrion

*high pitched screech of agreement* I've thought this for years! Wouldn't a night elf with a darker skin gotten darker as a High Elf?? Does melanin exist in WoW? How would it affect a nocturnal race? Would melanogenesis have caused some NE skin tones to darken upon continued exposure to diurnal life?

??? There are so many possibilities!

supposedly its the leylines in eastern kingdoms that causes their skin to lighten.

I thought the idea was that high elf skin lightened because they switched from a nocturnal, moon-venerating lifestyle to a sun-focused diurnal lifestyle...which doesn't make sense....since someone who only comes out at night is going to be paler than someone constantly exposed to sunlight >_>; With night elves you can excuse the dark skin since they evolved from dark trolls. But leylines are literally just streams of pure arcane energy...it doesn't make sense that they make purple skin turn peachy.
04/25/2018 02:52 PMPosted by Daromir
I will continue to maintain that there's no reason half-elves in WoW can't effectively "pass" for High Elves as a thing.

For Half-Elves - I would rather that added later as a sub-race to the various allied and main races for both factions.

Right now - all the races we're recruiting are 'allied races' - they are their own unique faction of sorts that are joining the Alliance or the Horde. They are not 'sub-races' - they are not a small population variety that lives within / part of another population. In a way, a sub-race is like a further customization of one of the main race selections.

In the future, if they were to add sub-races, I think Half-Elves would be one of the first to be added. They'd make more sense as that.

Please take the full context of my post as well as what I was responding to into consideration outside of one isolated line of it. I'm arguing for the inclusion of more skin tones, not for getting Half Elves instead of High Elves.
04/25/2018 12:06 PMPosted by Adregore
I'm ALL YOU PEOPLE ARE SO WORRIED ABOUT PLAYER CHARACTER AVATARS YET GCD, CLASS CHANGES, SPECLOCKED ARTIFACT APPEARANCES, AND THE GREATEST CRIME OF ALL, SURAMAR AND GILNEAS ARE NOT PLAYABLE CITIES. SHAME ON ALL OF YOU.

:)))

You say that as though i haven't posted a ton of feedback in the beta forums which has been completely ignored.
04/25/2018 02:54 PMPosted by Mardrigala
04/25/2018 02:21 PMPosted by Vitaminsee

supposedly its the leylines in eastern kingdoms that causes their skin to lighten.

I thought the idea was that high elf skin lightened because they switched from a nocturnal, moon-venerating lifestyle to a sun-focused diurnal lifestyle...which doesn't make sense....since someone who only comes out at night is going to be paler than someone constantly exposed to sunlight >_>; With night elves you can excuse the dark skin since they evolved from dark trolls. But leylines are literally just streams of pure arcane energy...it doesn't make sense that they make purple skin turn peachy.

blizz science? :D it's their fantasy. they get to do whatever they want. i mean look at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWOQ97H1CEg
04/25/2018 03:27 PMPosted by Fallynn
Yeah the Ren'dorei have been brought up many times too, but I'll also give my idea of this as well.

Let's look at Azeroth as compared to the real world. The real world has 7 Billion people. Let's say Blood Elves, previously, had made up about 10% percent of that world population--then, 90% were wiped out. 1% of 7 billion is seventy million. Now then, let's assume there's only 1% left of THAT population that would be San'layn, or Ren'dorei. That's 700,000 potential San'layn with those numbers. Still a HUGE amount of elves, and I'm using pretty low percentages.

Let's be generous and assume that maybe 100,000 per server that would roll a San'layn above other races. Chances of all of them being on at the same time are very low, but let's assume that they are in fact all on at the same time. That'd be the 'maximum' allotted, which is a huge number when looking at people who play together or dip out.
--------------------------

Now, let's use different numbers. Let's assume the entire population of Azeroth is only about 7 MILLION. 1% of 7 million is 70,000--That would be the amount, in this scenario, that would remain after the scourge blasted SMC. Now, let's assume 1% of THAT population were turned into San'layn. Now we're down to 700 total in number. This is working with extremely small numbers now, and yet it still works. There won't ever be 700 San'layn exclusively roleplaying in one area--there is sharding, and that's insane. Not to mention, in a game like this where it's assumed the played characters make up a small portion of Azeroth's population, I think it's safe to say that playable San'layn, along with a few NPCs, are reasonable. And again, that number is extremely low because I reduced it to 7 MILLION. Yet, it still works. Look at the Ren'dorei.

----
We neither know the population of Azeroth nor the exact number each race does make up. But if you plug in numbers assumed, they're still large and completely doable for playable races, even those that are extremely small in number.

^ I used this in my thread, however feel free to use it and modify numbers if you need to make a point for High Elves here. ^^
the NO high elves thread is getting shredded
Hoping this gets an extension.
04/25/2018 02:52 PMPosted by Ravndryn
04/25/2018 02:19 PMPosted by Vitaminsee
https://image.ibb.co/mCTr3c/HE_Male_Skintones.png

Yes that thanks. I love you for the vitaminsee you give me when I need it. :)

vitamins and minerals are good fer yer hoofs. :D
I would absolutely love to see High Elves as a playable race on Alliance! From the moment I read Tides of Darkness, Day of the Dragon and Beyond the Dark Portal, I was fascinated with the High Elven Windrunner sisters.
I have always wanted to be able to join the Silver Covenant as a High Elf, ever since the Argent Tournament was added in Wrath. I absolutely adore the Battered Hilt quest line. I was pleasantly surprised by the continuation of the High Elven/Silver Covenant story on the Isle of Thunder. You see, High Elves have always been in the Alliance since that token army was sent by Anasterian to help the humans during the Second War, and this would be a major point of pride in the backstory of the High Elf I would create! Playable High Elves for the Alliance is something I have been very passionate about for a long time now.
04/25/2018 04:30 PMPosted by Riordan

Drede said it best there:

04/25/2018 04:30 PMPosted by Drede
Seems the "vocal Minority" awakened the Silent Majority. ;)

The World of Warcraft community can only tolerate those hateful people for so long.
04/25/2018 04:30 PMPosted by Riordan

How so?
04/25/2018 04:35 PMPosted by Wiccan

The World of Warcraft community can only tolerate those hateful people for so long.

I wish that was the case. The good news is, Blizzard knows how to see through the teenage angst. Even when it is methodically cataloged and repeated.

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/2331373-In-remembrance-of-the-Wall-of-No

The bath of toxicity that discussion had was only matched by the hilarity of watching such arrogance get byatch slapped by a company they were pretending they ran.
04/25/2018 02:52 PMPosted by Daromir

I think we are referring with these discussions more about the possibility of "human blood" in the Dalaran's High Elves gene pool rather than the possibility of Half Elves as an allied race itself. There's some intersection in there to be sure, but they are two different issues when it comes down to it.

Like, the notion of a "Half-Elf" that could have at a point on Dalaran's history have "passed" as a High Elf, then having offspring with a High Elf, thus introducing human heritage to the Dalarani High Elf gene pool, and how likely situations like this could have happened in a city like Dalaran where both races coexisted for centuries.

Half Elves by themselves is more about them uniting and creating their own cultural identity that stands by itself aside Human and High Elven culture, though there's also the idea of "High Elves" in the alliance -Specially the Silver Covenant-integrating any Half Elven offspring within themselves given they are allegedly a dying race thus in need of a way to propagate their culture, ideals and values -in a way, much like Sylvanas own need to preserve the forsaken as a group-

We have always have even some humans faction tagged as part of the Silver Covenant, which raises questions of why would they be part of an eminently High Elven group. Do they only work there? Or do they have some relation to a High Elf and thusly choose to be part of that group? or could they possibly be Half Elves that take on their human side? Which makes me think, would Vereesa's children be part of the Silver Covenant? Are they being raised like elves? if they are being raised within the SC, would they have any sort of Half Elven identity or they would just see themselves as Silver Covenant?

There's a lot of potential story choices just in these small questions, and personally, with all the notions that High Elves are just blood elves but only on the alliance, if they became an integrated society that openly recruited Half Elves would certainly be a paradigm shift and make them truly unique in relation to any other race.
oh boy. i expect panda dude to be here soon. :D surprised he's not already. haha
don't say i didn't warn ya.
When people take your banter as a serious offense ;(
04/25/2018 04:52 PMPosted by Ariannas
When people take your banter as a serious offense ;(

Take it from me. They make you think that you're messing around on the same page then slap you with reports out of nowhere.
04/25/2018 04:50 PMPosted by Vitaminsee
oh boy. i expect panda dude to be here soon. :D surprised he's not already. haha
don't say i didn't warn ya.

Oh lol, if three posts in a row talk about it, does it work like a bloody mary summoning?

It's such a weird argument to keep having tho. You can disagree just cause, but to keep going on these rabbit holes of genetics don't matter in WoW beacuse ?? it's just super weird.
lol genetics in a game where trolls are eevees.
04/25/2018 05:08 PMPosted by Mythlos
lol genetics in a game where trolls are eevees.

I KNOW! Everything about all the Troll groups and the Elf groups IS about evolution, which is genetics!!!

We have regular evolution, we have magically afflicted evolution, and how all of that affects how they look and change!?!?!?