Does it feel like the community is too toxic?

General Discussion
Just had the tank purposefully leave group in a mythic plus 18 Arcway on last bosss while we were doing the intermission where you run to get back to boss. Caused us to not be able to attack boss at all. This started with the usual tank and dps back and forth of you suck dialogue.

Ya things are toxic. Must be the end of an expansion and people are burned out and bored and which breeds malicious behavior.
Now days, I don't feel as if I can truly interact with the larger wow community because of latent toxicity within the members of the community.

I'm starting to become sad because it feels like its time for a lengthy break or a complete wash, as the game seems to be shrinking year after year. I dunno, I just wish everything didnt feel so... Dee from always sunny-like

First let me say that I am sorry this has been your experience and your perception but you're not alone.

If you want the world to be a better place start by showing it what that means.

Positive, encouraging and fun people are definitely still around we're just not as vocal.
[quote]Positive, encouraging and fun people are definitely still around we're just not as vocal.

Well gee, how are people supposed to know that positive, encouraging, and fun people are around if no one says anything?

Like, I understand the point that you're trying to make about how the community isn't as bad as the poster thinks, but what's the entire point of playing if the "good people" in the community don't talk or actually do anything?

I mean let's think about this critically now.

A community is defined by a group of individuals interacting in a shared space of indeterminate size with common goals, interests, and needs.

If you don't involve yourself and be an active part of the community, then you aren't really part of the community now are you?
I didn't say "silent," I said "not as vocal" my friend. A bit of a minor technicality sure but a pointed one. You can quickly and readily find positive, informative, encouraging posts in nearly every thread on the forums.

While I appreciate the point you're making, you misrepresented the point I was making in order to make your own.

Why don't we both agree to be a more active and positive force on the forums so we can validate both our points?
I feel like the community is representative of the internet as a whole...

And the internet is very toxic.
03/26/2018 12:26 PMPosted by Syllaeus
I didn't say "silent," I said "not as vocal" my friend. A bit of a minor technicality sure but a pointed one. You can quickly and readily find positive, informative, encouraging posts in nearly every thread on the forums.

While I appreciate the point you're making, you misrepresented the point I was making in order to make your own.

Why don't we both agree to be a more active and positive force on the forums so we can validate both our points?

I'm trying man. I am. There are times my short-fuse gets the best of me, but honestly, in my experience, people just do not talk anymore. I'm talking in-game, not the forum. You're right about the forums having positive people in there, I won't argue that. But in-game you know things aren't the same. And while I'll keep trying to be a positive force on the forums, we need the positivity even more-so in-game.
I think it's less to do with the playerbase being more toxic and more to do with an increase in players with thin skin.
It really depends what we are defining as "the community". In game I rarely-to-never have any experiences I would call particularly negative. Have I had some? Sure. Will I have some in the future? I am sure I will. Overall though, I would say probably 95% of my interactions with other players have been, at the very worst, completely neutral.

The forums though.... oh the forums.... that is a whole different topic. It stands to reason though, people (a lot of the time at least) come here to complain. When you want to complain, it is probably because something has put you in a bad mood. When something has put you in a bad mood then you are more likely to be snappish with other people.
03/26/2018 12:28 PMPosted by Gorronor
I'm trying man. I am. There are times my short-fuse gets the best of me, but honestly, in my experience, people just do not talk anymore. I'm talking in-game, not the forum. You're right about the forums having positive people in there, I won't argue that. But in-game you know things aren't the same. And while I'll keep trying to be a positive force on the forums, we need the positivity even more-so in-game.

You know what? You're right and I apologize for not making that distinction.

You can add me to your friends list and start a convo any time you need some positivity.
Yes the community is horribly toxic. But this is the world in general. it's toxic anywhere you go. Too bad it's aloud in a game you go to get away from it. I've even found myself getting irate and I'm not like that irl at all.
03/26/2018 10:00 AMPosted by Señor
Now days, I don't feel as if I can truly interact with the larger wow community because of latent toxicity within the members of the community.

Was ist diese Gemeinschaft, von der du sprichst?
Sometimes yes and sometimes no.
Just to interject some hopeful info...within the last week I ran two dungeons for the world quest gear that was offered. In both cases, I asked the group if we could kill the quest boss, and, to a player, each was super nice and happy to help.
A few bad eggs doesn't make the "community" toxic.

Most players simply aren't interested in saying a word and want to get w/e they are doing finished.

Play some MOBAs if you want to see what real toxicity looks like.
If it makes you feel any better, just about every internet gaming 'community' is like this nowadays.

Actually, now that I've typed it out, I suppose it wouldn't make you feel better at all...

Sorry about that.
03/26/2018 12:29 PMPosted by Teria
I think it's less to do with the playerbase being more toxic and more to do with an increase in players with thin skin.

Not intended as an argument at all because you may absolutely be right, but I think this is sort of the crux of what gets me, personally. I never expected to need thick skin to play a video game--I use my thick skin all day and play a video game to look at pretty art and jump around and make heart eyes at folks' awesome transmog lol

And to that point, I've been playing for nine years and I never used to need to "brace" quite so much for in game interactions. It feels like used to be easier to just bop around and coexist in this game universe with other people. There is a perceived sharpness to everything these days that is somewhat new. Perhaps it's just the player base growing up and feeling less relaxed and less enamored with the game?

Who knows!
Well yes and no OP, like if I say something in trade like trying to sell mines or ore, I know there is a high chance that some random dude is going to start trolling me, I even once made a statement on an alt in LFG asking if any tanks/healers were available for low level dungeons, and then everyone went nuts off their rocker thinking I was asking for a carry, but I clarified I meant level 15-60 tanks aka my level at the time, but verbal mudslinging got completely out of hand in LFG, as one person attacked me for asking for a 'carry' while others were defending me. The result is that friends on my btag quietly whispered me asking what I'd started now, see this is why people think I'm the troll as they think that I deliberately went out of my way to get people arguing with each other, but it wasn't actually my intention at the time to start a war in the LFG channel.

My only concern at the time was getting a faster queue. Though I do admit, it was hard not to laugh at how ridiculous things are getting in society, when you have this situation where there are so many fault-lines of belief and morals that divide people, even the most innocent statement you can make is going to get people arguing and fighting. Unless people wake up to the fact that I have no power over them whatsoever, and it's their own fault-lines that are dividing each other, I will always be seen as a troll. The sad thing is, that while I admit its sometimes fun to watch because of how ridiculous it is, it's gotten to the stage now where its become a serious social issue I think. People just need to respect each other's opinions and way of playing the game and way of living their life and doing things, agree to disagree, and the world will be a better place.
03/26/2018 10:09 AMPosted by Unwitty

I say we shoud introduce Real ID to the game for one day and see how much !@#$ they talk.

This would be brilliant! SO right on target here. I say bring it. Put a new clause in the TOS. I ain't a'skeerd:)
03/26/2018 04:11 PMPosted by Brænnuð
03/26/2018 10:09 AMPosted by Unwitty

I say we shoud introduce Real ID to the game for one day and see how much !@#$ they talk.

This would be brilliant! SO right on target here. I say bring it. Put a new clause in the TOS. I ain't a'skeerd:)

They tried that in Wrath, they copped fierce backlash over that. They've already tried it recently by trying to connect wow to people's Facebook page, but with the amount of personal data that gets hacked off Facebook these days to the point where Zuckerberg is coming out apologizing, well I smelled a rat there, so didn't even dream of connecting my wow to Facebook in anyway, I like my privacy on wow and the internet in general. Facebook I have under strict lockdown.
Pugs are the worst. Twice this weekend I've seen someone ask a simple question in a pug raid only to get jumped on by the ego-tripping man-child leading the raid. I saw two fresh heroic Antorus groups literally blow up and disband before even starting because man-children couldn't control themselves in raid chat and got pissy with each other over nothing.

I think the community is at an all time low. Hey, welcome to our pug raid, let me immediately threaten you with a kick. We wiped due to mechanics... oh my God kick the low DPS even though that wasn't the issue and we have people skyrocketing the charts and doing far more than they're supposed to to balance that out anyway. What, you kicked me? Let me pull the boss in rage. This group's not working and I have assist, so let me invite absolutely everybody in queue before leaving.

It's really bad, and this is somebody that pug raids heroic Antorus 2 or 3 times a week across different characters.