Been a healer for Many Expacs

General Discussion
So I have healed as a Resto Druid, then this Expac a resto shaman, and let me start by saying I love healing. I feel useful and a crucial part of the team. I will say however, from being an officer in a guild I often times am like man this guy is awesome he is following mechanics and pumping out major dps. I have DPS'd offspec and have healed enough to know the fights.

This time around, I'm debating using my mage as a main or boosting a warlock. I really like playing alone outside of raiding, and as a healer I always feel weak out in the world. I usually only play one class an expansion except for professions and such.

My question is, will I have an easy time finding a guild as a Rdps. I have always searched for guilds as a healer. Also how do you dps mains out there feel useful in the raids, as opposed to a healer.
I think I know how you feel. I usually solo queue BGs and run healer to improve my odds. When I run a dps I sometimes feel I'm making more of a contribution through killing. I always go back to healing, though, I think it's what I am. I think it's just a feeling that if we focus our play too much in one direction it's enjoyable to play the other, even if the first is your primary enjoyment.
Well as a dps you're literally following a rotation in raid rather than reacting to events, for the most part. So if you're not used to having your fingers constantly working it could take some getting used to. Once you do get used to it I think dps'ing is actually easier for that same reason.

04/15/2018 04:27 PMPosted by Bigboyheals
will I have an easy time finding a guild as a Rdps.
Yes, there are always more melee than ranged dps, so finding a guild or raid group to let you in is, in general, easier.

how do you dps mains out there feel useful in the raids, as opposed to a healer.
As long as enemies are up, your job as a dps doesn't end. Using something like Skada or Recount to track your dps output is a great way to see how you're stacking up to the other dps in your group, as well as acting as a motivator to do more. The job is usually pretty easy; no one's life is directly dependent on me in most situations. So it's up to you to learn as best as you can how your abilities work together and nail down your rotation. Also, I'm not going to assume you are a clicker but if you are you'll want to start use keybinds if you ever want to compete with the other dps. It's impossible to go through your rotation fast enough if you are clicking spells.

Anyways that's about it.
*Named Bigboyheals*

*No longer wants to heal*

My immersion is ruined,
I went from being a tank to primarily DPSing.

I like the idea of feeling I can sway the success of a group. In prior expansions, a good tank or a healer was the way to go for that. Seems like tanking and healing is the easier of the trinity now and really doesn't take a lot to be successful.

DPS on the other hand can really let you stand out. One solid DPS can make or break a group, especially in pugs.
My question is, will I have an easy time finding a guild as a Rdps.
depends on the guild. I usually find that healers aree more in demand than anything else, especially competent ones. My main is a Tauren Shaman. I leveled him in Legion as a healer, I only switched to RDPS due to that my guild has plenty of healers that raid.
You have a druid. Boomkin is awesome. Shaman are wet paper bags no wonder you feel beat up out there.

Dont stop healing, us healers are the very backbone of this game....or something cool like that, dps are many, good healers not so much.

Good luck whatever you decide.
The main issue I have is leveling and world quests. I always want to be the best I can but I hate collecting different pieces of gear.

Im debating holy pally because I know I can dps in holy spec. However is there a better class that has a easier offspec to gear share. I was doing resto/ele. Use to do resto balance but hated balance in legion so I rolled my shaman.

Thanks for the help all... I'm super indecisive
04/15/2018 04:57 PMPosted by Bigboyheals
The main issue I have is leveling and world quests. I always want to be the best I can but I hate collecting different pieces of gear.
elemental and resto sorta share them same gear, you can switch between spec without much of a fuss.
My boomie blows stuff up, half tank half range dps. If not your thing then so be it. I no shaman fan so i get you.

Pally is great option, but go tank not dps. My prot pally solos mythics and does 1-2 mil dps. Its a BLAST to be totally self sufficient and just do what you want without need of others.
When I DPS I feel helpful when I manage to not die to the mechanics, and when me and the other DPS get the boss down before Enrage.

I don't know how it is now, but in early legion I was LOVING Disc priest. I couldn't really heal as Disc so I would heal as holy, but I felt pretty invincible questing as Disc. Not only can you pretty much stay bubbled all the time but you also heal yourself based on the damage you do.

It wasn't very fast though, so most people would probably say if you're going to go Priest quest as Shadow for DPS, and then heal as Holy. (Or Disc I guess, but I've heard Disc is more for PVP). Anyway, I really enjoyed questing as Disc.
I will try my pally out tonight. He is level 95 or something so I will get a rough feel of how they heal. I could transfer my druid back to the server but I stupidly faction changed him so it will be cheaper just to boost with my bfa boost.