Perpetual misogyny

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
Hey folks, we're going to go ahead and lock this thread. It's turning negative and being pulled into a discussion not relating to WoW. - Forums Mod

Blizz, why is it that you routinely mess with female major lore characters? Why can't you write a
nuanced female character for once who doesn't "go mad", die or have her city vandalised, desecrated and destroyed?

Or one who is made out to be incompetent or sit on the side lines (like Tyrande always waiting for Malfurion to make decisions for her, like she doesn't even have half a brain)?

Or female characters who have their victories taken from them and sabotaged by stupid scripts (i.e. Maiev and Illidan in Black Temple when he tells her she is nothing without him and she just parrots "you're right. I'm nothing".

First it was Jaina, now it's Sylvanas.

Do you even have any female writers (or employees for that matter) in your company?

Shadow ban me and my posts all you want. But if you'd like to attract and keep a stable female demographic to your game, you might want to not continue the way you're going.

Thanks.
I wasn't aware their target audience was females.
03/28/2018 08:17 AMPosted by Vexera
Shadow ban me and my posts all you want. But if you'd like to attract and keep a stable female demographic to your game, you might want to not continue the way you're going.

Female here. Don't speak for me.
03/28/2018 08:21 AMPosted by Kaijia
03/28/2018 08:20 AMPosted by Zaroff
I wasn't aware their target audience was females.

Their target audience should be everyone. And since about 30% of the playerbase is female, they should certainly look to keep them. Lady money is as good and man-money :P

True, but the problem is blizzard doesn't listen to anyone. If they won't listen to people about things that should be simple not to screw up, like classes, they won't ever be able to get something like this down.
there's always the capacity to reboot stuff, just like what they do over at DC comics
I'm a lady. I agree the female characters in this game are mostly handled poorly.

But to be fair the male ones are mostly handled poorly, too.

A female writer, Christie Golden, who has been working on Warcraft novels off and on since 1998 and has a great grasp on the characters, is now officially on Blizz staff as a senior writer for Battle for Azeroth. Hopefully she can help right this ship.
Eh, I don't think either sex is safe in this game from all that.
Obvious troll topic, but what exactly are you looking for in a female character?
The current Senior Writer and story developer is now Christie Golden who has written many excellent World of Warcraft novels such as "Arthas".
03/28/2018 08:17 AMPosted by Vexera
Blizz, why is it that you routinely mess with female major lore characters? Why can't you write a nuanced female character for once who doesn't "go mad", die or have her city vandalised, desecrated and destroyed?

So coddle the women, don't make them experience bad things, make them super powerful and absolutely not one bit relatable or investing?

Your idea of misogyny is pretty stupid when you also overlook other female characters who arn't major leaders who still have their impact. People love Sky Admiral Rogers, Princess Tess Greymane, Kelsey Steelspark, Lillian Voss, and many other females that are better than major leaders.

Women are not spared of experiencing problems like any leader. Mekketorque lost his home along with his entire populace from Gnomeregan for a brief time. Genn Greymane lost his entire kingdom to the undead, Thrall, Baine, Vol'jin, and Lor'themar all experienced losing their homes to other threats too.

Curb your misogyny.
Excising misogyny is always the priority. Forget about improving the story as a whole (it sorely needs it) and forget about making new expansion features that actually matter (RIP vehicles, scenarios and soon-to-be warfronts). Sexism and something that offends one person's incredibly delicate and arbitrary sensibilities is clearly what must be addressed first, and yes, they speak for ALL females. Do not disobey the sisterhood!
(puts out a little tray of cookies that are equally empowering and tasty!)
You ever attend a literature class? A story is not much of a story without conflict. You can't keep these female characters safe from them, and it'd be stupid to.

Tyrande had to choose between her husband and her duty in Val'sharah. She chose her duty first. Good stuff.

Jaina always believed in peace, preventing Wrynn from continuing his war against the Forsaken beneath Lordaeron even as butchered humans hung from hooks overhead. Time and again the Horde had abused her trust, and her character has changed to reflect that. She's what you would call a dynamic (i.e. interesting) character. We don't have many of those.

Sylvanas is a tragic character, but unless there is conflict, whether self-inflicted or happened upon her, she would remain static and uninteresting. Her potential is worth nothing if she's to sit in the sidelines and her schemes are not allowed into fruition.