Perpetual misogyny

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next
Their male characters aren't really any better, to be honest.

Everything in Warcraft, from the art style to the character portrayals, is exaggerated and distorted for dramatic or comical effect.

While I understand the point you're trying to make, the female characters are no different than the other characters in this writing.
03/28/2018 08:17 AMPosted by Vexera
Blizz, why is it that you routinely mess with female major lore characters? Why can't you write a nuanced female character for once who doesn't "go mad", die or have her city vandalised, desecrated and destroyed?

It's called character development. You may not like it, but others do. Hell, Jaina got a lot more interesting because of her city being destroyed and she decided enough was enough.

Or one who is made out to be incompetent or sit on the side lines (like Tyrande always waiting for Malfurion to make decisions for her, like she doesn't even have half a brain)?

I'm sorry, but I think you missed a couple of times where Tyrande made decisions for herself? Like releasing Illidan from his prison (even after Malfurion forbid it). Or even condemning Malfurion to his fate when Xavius kidnapped him to go defend the temple of her goddess?

Just a few examples, but Tyrande is far from sitting on the sidelines.

Or female characters who have their victories taken from them and sabotaged by stupid scripts (i.e. Maiev and Illidan in Black Temple when he tells her she is nothing without him and she just parrots "you're right. I'm nothing".

Again, that is character development. It was the starting point of Maiev's own descent, to the point of attempting to kill Malfurion, and fighting her own brother.

First it was Jaina, now it's Sylvanas.

We've known Sylvanas' allegiances since Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne. Attempting to kill Arthas (when he assumed they were still under the Lich King's control), killing Garithos after telling him they were going to ally together to kill the dreadlords.

Do you even have any female writers (or employees for that matter) in your company?

I would assume they do, I don't know all the staff that works there, just the big names since Blizz started. However, Christie Golden, an author who has wrote for Blizzard since the 90's has been on staff since last year, and she's also writing the new book that will involve Sylvanas.

Shadow ban me and my posts all you want. But if you'd like to attract and keep a stable female demographic to your game, you might want to not continue the way you're going.

If you're going to be shadowbanned (which I don't know if Blizz's forums has the ability to do so), it should be for the gross negligence on your understanding of lore, not for pointing out supposed misogyny.
I rather like the the female characters when they do some crazy actions. If you want a female character that currently does nothing and is pure and holy, just go see Anduin.
03/28/2018 08:27 AMPosted by Vinragos
The current Senior Writer and story developer is now Christie Golden who has written many excellent World of Warcraft novels such as "Arthas".

I didn't finish reading that because it just simply fell to wayside. But what I did read was quite good.

Seems OPs request can be summed up as: we want better written characters.

There's a few good ones, but we have a lot of characters that come out meh or feel wasted. And I'm talking all genders.
In blizzard’s defense, they write everyone badly.
03/28/2018 08:27 AMPosted by Vinragos
The current Senior Writer and story developer is now Christie Golden who has written many excellent World of Warcraft novels such as "Arthas".

I've actually read her novel Tides of War and it was very good and poignant. I'm not sure how much of an executive say she's had in the story writing until now but I still feel that the current writing trajectory, especially when it comes to female characters, is due for a major overhaul.

We either keep getting scraps or nothing. It's hard to relate to or even feel good about female characters when they are constantly used as a plot device or a scapegoat (or "go mad and hysterical").

There isn't one single female character I'm able to relate to or be allowed to feel good about because none of them are portrayed positively. They always have their cities in ruin and become angry and vengeful.

Varian had a good send off. He was romantized as a larger than life character. Thrall is practically green baby Jesus. Illidan was given a redemption arc... AFTER WE KILLED HIM AS A RAID BOSS. Khadgar is baby Jesus version 2. The list goes on.

And yet female characters are all horribly written and you either end up feeling sorry for them because they're so weak or you hate them because they've "gone mad".

Either that or they're irrelevant arm candy like Tyrande. This is year 2018. This is not a new game, nor is what I'm proposing a new idea.

I know Blizzard can do better than that. I know Blizzard can and do occasionally listen. They don't have to put female characters at the forefront of the game.

I acknowledge that the majority of the target audience is male and will probably not like or relate to a game aimed at a female demographic, but can you just, like... throw us a bone every now and then?
There’s Liadrin. And Thalyssra. Both are level headed and ones a racial leader, the other is the face of their race (Liadrin)
Blizz, why is it that you routinely mess with female major lore characters? Why can't you write a nuanced female character for once who doesn't "go mad", die or have her city vandalised, desecrated and destroyed?

Or one who is made out to be incompetent or sit on the side lines (like Tyrande always waiting for Malfurion to make decisions for her, like she doesn't even have half a brain)?

Or female characters who have their victories taken from them and sabotaged by stupid scripts (i.e. Maiev and Illidan in Black Temple when he tells her she is nothing without him and she just parrots "you're right. I'm nothing".

First it was Jaina, now it's Sylvanas.

Do you even have any female writers (or employees for that matter) in your company?

Shadow ban me and my posts all you want. But if you'd like to attract and keep a stable female demographic to your game, you might want to not continue the way you're going.

Thanks.

You forgot Sylvanas whose victory in Stormheim was literally snatched away by Greymain who popped in from thin air and then vanished as we all sat there with our mouths open.
03/28/2018 08:38 AMPosted by Sinkasumi
Seems OPs request can be summed up as: we want better written characters.

I agree, it's just the turning everything into "XXX HATES WOMEN" is frustrating.
03/28/2018 08:21 AMPosted by Kaijia
Their target audience should be everyone. And since about 30% of the playerbase is female, they should certainly look to keep them. Lady money is as good and man-money :P

It is for everyone, women have tons of Eye Candy to look at. You got Illidan's bear 6 pack that's just bursting out of his purple body, you got lil sensitive Manduin, you got a barrel chested werewolf with a sick moustache, you got huge taurens with their comforting voices, you got straight back silver fox Saurfang, basically every male elf that doesn't have old face. And don't forget the peak of male performance OCULETH!

03/28/2018 08:42 AMPosted by Inariel
There’s Liadrin. And Thalyssra. Both are level headed and ones a racial leader, the other is the face of their race (Liadrin)

I really like these two and hope they get more push for Summerslam. It'd also be nice if they included Arthas' sister for future Alliance content especially with the Alliance retaking Lordearon. Shandris Feathermoon should get push as well with all the stuff happening to the Night Elves.
03/28/2018 08:19 AMPosted by Normercy
Do you have one of those hats from that march.. I love those!
That was kinda funny.
Blizzard just writes everyone terribly tbh.
Yeah, raise the sign "Fem Garrosh FTW!" or maybe "Fem Gul'dan FTW!!!" Rock on girls!
03/28/2018 08:49 AMPosted by Mandude
Blizzard just writes everyone terribly tbh.

"I'm not bad, I'm just written that way."
-Sylvanas Windrunner after burning down some trees.
I knew Rose McGowan played WoW, I didnt know she posted here! Loved you in "Charmed" !
You just made the argument that women shouldn't be allowed to go through conflict. Isn't that...kind of misogynist in itself?
03/28/2018 09:00 AMPosted by Azivalla
You just made the argument that women shouldn't be allowed to go through conflict. Isn't that...kind of misogynist in itself?

no man, oh sorry ""person""" allowing women to go through hardships and develop like a human being, and reacting to trauma as well as discovering dark secrets about yourself and having to confront them is sexist because it's showing bad things happening to women

women are supposed to be potrayed as wonder women overcoming every single obstacle flawlessly and laughing in the face of danger as they do everything because it's the right thing to do as everyone expresses how much they appreciate/love/adore them and the only REAL problem they have to face is which boy/girl in the love triangle they want to choose.

though i think they should change the name of the female characters, lets change it to Mary.