Please don't destroy Sylvanas

General Discussion
1 2 3 8 Next
Blizzard please... we need a redemption arc, not another Garrosh... Stop killing Horde leaders and making them into villains.
I'm sorry but she is already pretty much a villain and I'm not sure redemption would even work.

Cookie?
they really take the pruning schtick all the way to the bank, no?
No redemption for Sylvanas. She's unapologetically evil; embrace it.
Blizzard, please do destroy Sylvanas. I'm a sucker for a redemption arc, but not in her case. I'll even propose a method for her destruction: let her -- let the Ranger General she once was -- for one moment realize exactly how evil her actions have been, let it all sink in. Be sure to be at a safe distance from the consequences.
(I recommend reading the classic Henry Kuttner short story "By These Presents".)
It’s problematic either way for me. I want her replaced yes. It’s tiring seeing the horde leaders paint the entire faction as evil loons. The issue is, if they make her go pure crazy againast all, we’ll litteraly have a lazy rehash of Garosh. She’s already close enough as is. And the opposite end, if she gets a redemption arc I doubt many would accept that unless they somehow write it as one of the best arcs yet. She’s just to crazy and has done far to many unforgivable things too just turn around and suddenly be good because she does one or two good things in BfA.
03/28/2018 08:33 AMPosted by Grumbles
I'm sorry but she is already pretty much a villain and I'm not sure redemption would even work.

Cookie?

Illidan anyone? How's that cookie?
03/28/2018 08:56 AMPosted by Vexera

Cookie?

Illidan's actions were to fight against the legion. Sylvanas's are purely to avoid herself dying and she will sacrifice every living creature on Azeroth to make that happen. One of these is noble if misguided the other is straight up evil.
Maybe she can't come around to the good guy camp at this point, but Blizz could always give her a half-redemptive turn, to keep her a good character.
One thing that I find endears me to bad guys is when they find a line that they won't cross, or even just show some regret or self-doubt as they're doing their evil things.

She can be as evil as she is, but if we're clearly shown that she at least HAS a conscience, even if it doesn't kick in often, or govern her actions, it could give her character depth and make people like her again.

For example, when (SPOILERS) she burns Teldrassil, maybe we could be shown, in a cutscene, just a brief moment of self-doubt when she sees the horrors she has brought to the night elves. Not a big deal, or turning point in the story, but just a little change of expression. Just a momentary "What the heck am I doing," moment, before she steels herself and just goes right back to the job.
That could plant a seed for a slow redemptive arc. She reaches the limit of her capacity for cruelty, and later on, as she's doing the same old evil Sylvanas stuff, she could start hesitating a little.

It doesn't have to be a huge thing, but as long as we see her "human" side for a moment, it could remind us that even though she's gone beyond the deep end, there's still a person in there trying to accomplish something, and maybe she's beginning to realize that she's changed into something she never really wanted to be.

Or she could be reduced to a simplistic Disney villain. That's easier to write.
Edited because Xathra beat me to it.

Sylvanas becoming Warchief was really Blizzard not looking at long term (and it's hardly long term) consequences. Vol'jin should have stayed Warchief and it would have made more sense for the Alliance to finally attack Undercity first, but they always gotta be the good guys.
03/28/2018 08:56 AMPosted by Vexera

Cookie?

Because Illidans Legion arc was so well done. Your cookie has roaches in it.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Because Illidans Legion arc was so well done. Your cookie has roaches in it.

I didn't see anyone mention how well it was done, just that there was one and there was. Illidan was first villain, then anti hero and then hero.
Apparently that's only reserved for previous or current alliance.
Redemption Arc's that is. Which is odd, seeing how alliance players spew how alliance are never evil/villain to start with. /headscratch
Too late, I'm afraid.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20762306357#post-14

I can only suspect Blizzard are hell bent on making every other Horde leader look inept and unlikable as possible. The whole thing comes off like a poorly disguised New Coke style ploy to make Thrall look decent again. Until then, enjoy being part of Team War Crimes, I guess.
03/28/2018 08:59 AMPosted by Redway
Maybe she can't come around to the good guy camp at this point, but Blizz could always give her a half-redemptive turn, to keep her a good character.
One thing that I find endears me to bad guys is when they find a line that they won't cross, or even just show some regret or self-doubt as they're doing their evil things.

She can be as evil as she is, but if we're clearly shown that she at least HAS a conscience, even if it doesn't kick in often, or govern her actions, it could give her character depth and make people like her again.

well the problem is her writing is already breaking tons of prior lore. there has to be a pretty good reason for it but none of the reasons i can think of make sense. you've read the latest i take it? well consider her actions and then watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpklIrmfxWA

just....../shakes head, dumbfounded
I would like her redeemed. I would be curious though, to see the reaction of the player base if hypothetically, she was actually being controlled by some one/thing else... Again. Maybe Bolvar.

Or maybe if it turns out she has some information on the up coming threat, and has to do so much (evil), to prevent things from getting worse. If that were the trope case, then I bet we'd only find out she is in it for the greater good, as she takes her last breath or something.

I would be pretty upset if they just killed off the queen of zombies. I just don't want her gone, but I don't want any cheesy or stupid way of dealing with her to arise, either. Just so many different ways her story can go.

Hard to imagine what is going to actually happen to her. So many different topics on GD demanding she be dealt with in a variety of ways. I wish Blizz good luck in dealing with this whole issue, they're gonna need it. (Luck and good writing)
If Sylvanas is killed the horde will have officially lost every single interesting or meaningful character.
03/28/2018 09:11 AMPosted by Shadowfist
I would like her redeemed. I would be curious though, to see the reaction of the player base if hypothetically, she was actually being controlled by some one/thing else... Again. Maybe Bolvar.

Or maybe if it turns out she has some information on the up coming threat, and has to do so much (evil), to prevent things from getting worse. If that were the trope case, then I bet we'd only find out she is in it for the greater good, as she takes her last breath or something.

I would be pretty upset if they just killed off the queen of zombies. I just don't want her gone, but I don't want any cheesy or stupid way of dealing with her to arise, either. Just so many different ways her story can go.

Hard to imagine what is going to actually happen to her. So many different topics on GD demanding she be dealt with in a variety of ways. I wish Blizz good luck in dealing with this whole issue, they're gonna need it. (Luck and good writing)

i dont think the level of evil we're talking about her commiting to justify some future evil, is gonna cut the mustard. that's like saying: bad guy has to gas 6 million people so one of them doesn't become a tyrant in 20 years. this ain't minority report.
We don't need a redemption story every expansion.
If we end up killing her I want horde to kill Tyrande and Anduin.
03/28/2018 09:23 AMPosted by Anthropology
If we end up killing her I want horde to kill Tyrande and Anduin.

No. If Sylvanas falls, she better take every alliance leader with her.