How to game with a new baby?

General Discussion
Prev 1 10 11 12 16 Next
04/24/2018 11:43 AMPosted by Indiscreto
04/24/2018 11:40 AMPosted by Lavazza
I got 3 lil'dudes (10, 8, 6).

The only time I played when I was at home with them was when they were sleeping.

Pretty soon I might get them to start playing...Maybe have them do my farming?

Side note you must be Italian or really like that coffee with that name! It's my mother's favorite.

lol

Not Italian, but I do love me some quality Lavazza beans (in fact it's all I use).

I have a DeLonghi Super-Auto espresso/latte machine...I drank tons of latte while watching my boys (work 3rd shift every weekend, and stay at home dad during the week).

Many other beans such as Starbucks are too oily, and they tend to clog the grinder so the dry roasted Lavazza work well, and they taste great!
Rank ordered from most important to least.
Wife (if momma ain't happy, then nobody is happy. She carried that baby and brought into the world. Take care of her.)

Baby
Job (If you don't work, momma and baby don't eat.)
RL family
RL friends
.WoW (somewhere down around 37th or 38th)

Plan WoW around your life, not your life around WoW. You won't regret it. The next 18 to 20 years of your life will go by faster than you can ever imagine. Take lots of time with your wife and kid(s).
You have a one week old child and you are worried about how you can squeeze in more WoW hours. Good job on your priorities in life.
You don't for a few years it's pretty simple.
04/24/2018 11:40 AMPosted by Lavazza
I got 3 lil'dudes (10, 8, 6).

The only time I played when I was at home with them was when they were sleeping.

Pretty soon I might get them to start playing...Maybe have them do my farming?
The 6 yr old is perfect for fishing! My son got my druid's fishing to max around that age LOL
04/24/2018 11:49 AMPosted by Draical
You have a one week old child and you are worried about how you can squeeze in more WoW hours. Good job on your priorities in life.

Squeeze in more wow hours? Did you even read the post? I'm as casual as can be BEFORE the baby arrived, I played 2-3 hours at most.

I was looking for advice how I can keep casually playing while managing dad duties.
I used to play Eve Online one-handed while holding my son. You can kind of do it in Eve. In WoW, doesn't really work. I'd just suggest don't do things like raids where you might hold people up if you have to tend to the baby. But I suggest that for anyone that has other stuff going on, not just people with babies.
04/24/2018 11:45 AMPosted by Dalean
My personal experience, as “the Dad”

Get a front side chest sling/carrier. And don’t do these two things:

Don’t eat cookies or chips- the crumbs on their head make them twitch and move to get them off.

Don’t drink a cold drink- the condensation that will inevitably drip off will really piss em off.

But aside from that - when your significant other comes to bust you for gaming and not doing enough - just tell em to be quiet, the baby is sleeping and so should she/he.

This lad dads.

This thread is pretty relevant to me. I just recently found out I was going to be a father about a month ago, and thus far I’ve had to make major compromises to the direction I thought my life would go in. Just had to drop a few classes so I could start working full time and still stay healthy.

I haven’t been “hardcore” in years but heh with this revelation I’m probably gonna be perma benched as a raider.
Yeah...kiss any serious wow time goodbye. Unless you want to be a dirt bag dad and the baby momma leaves you.

I only play for 2 hours at night after both my kids are asleep, and that's if I'm not tired.

Get used to it because if you raid a few nights a week, you'll be lucky to get ONE.

Brace up and man up. It gets a tad easier but once they hit toddler age, do not ignore them for your gaming. They remember, and they know who the caring non-ignoring parent is.

And I haven't even gotten to your SO yet.

Like others have said. Your gaming life is on life support from now on. Unless you have a console.
04/24/2018 11:48 AMPosted by Skarbrough
Rank ordered from most important to least.

That's highly dependent on the person. Generally yes family, jobs, friends 'in real life' come first. But it's not always cut and dry for everyone. Once you have a kid it definitely should be your priority first to take care of it though.
04/24/2018 05:17 AMPosted by Sinfel
Don't.

People stoping the raid dead with "gotta feed the baby" and stuff like that are annoying af.
This is why I wish downvotes still existed.

Have some respect and understanding for new life, mkay?
wow will always be here, your baby will not be a baby very long. Savor every moment....

and lvl fishing during those 1 am feedings.
04/24/2018 05:13 AMPosted by Indiscreto
Curious if you guys have any tips on how to play when you just had a baby?

She's only 1 week old but she requires a lot of attention. I work all day and when I come home I take over for my girlfriend so she can rest. I did just buy a laptop so that way I can try and play while she sleeps but not sure if that will work either.

Does it get easier the older she gets?
Take a break from the game at least give your child some attention.
All of this negativity is ridiculous. Replace the word gaming with hobby and suddenly it's a reasonable ask.

I to have a kid on the way and am figuring out how I will balance a busy work schedule, time with my new family, commuting and yes, gaming.

It in no way makes the OP a bad person for asking this question, I think it shows he's responsible. Of course we know our gaming time will diminish, heck, possibly disappear but it's normal for any parent to at least attempt to have a hobby as a parent. OP, kudo's for asking a difficult question, happy to see you got a few positive replies..

Congrats BTW!
04/24/2018 12:27 PMPosted by Respeck
All of this negativity is ridiculous. Replace the word gaming with hobby and suddenly it's a reasonable ask.

I to have a kid on the way and am figuring out how I will balance a busy work schedule, time with my new family, commuting and yes, gaming.

It in no way makes the OP a bad person for asking this question, I think it shows he's responsible. Of course we know our gaming time will diminish, heck, possibly disappear but it's normal for any parent to at least attempt to have a hobby as a parent. OP, kudo's for asking a difficult question, happy to see you got a few positive replies..

Congrats BTW!

Thanks man, I appreciate the support! Good luck with your little bundle on the way.
OP sorry you got steamrolled by all the do-gooders and the "OMG video games and baby...how could you?!!!"

Parents need to relax too, thankfully babies sleep a ton and that's when you get your game on my friend.

Oh and gratz on the little one OP, when your baby is old enough a fisher price keyboard and mouse will help with your dailies, if your baby can hold a bottle then that's your sign, hand baby the keyboard and mouse and let the little one have some food only AFTER completing your wow chores!

It's all in the training.
04/24/2018 11:52 AMPosted by Indiscreto
I was looking for advice how I can keep casually playing while managing dad duties.

Its not hard, babies sleep a lot, at least mine did. If you play casually then it shouldn't matter when you can log on to play some wow, there will be time when she's sleeping, that's you and mommy rest time or gaming if you choose.
Trust me, wow will most likely be pushed further and further to the back burner with your little angel's arrival. Enjoy your baby girl at this time, it will NEVER come back, I wish so bad I could turn back time for mine, she's gorgeous but I do miss the days when she was learning to crawl and then walk, now she wants to get her drivers license and get a car, time goes too fast.
04/24/2018 11:53 AMPosted by Felnawks
04/24/2018 11:45 AMPosted by Dalean
My personal experience, as “the Dad”

Get a front side chest sling/carrier. And don’t do these two things:

Don’t eat cookies or chips- the crumbs on their head make them twitch and move to get them off.

Don’t drink a cold drink- the condensation that will inevitably drip off will really piss em off.

But aside from that - when your significant other comes to bust you for gaming and not doing enough - just tell em to be quiet, the baby is sleeping and so should she/he.

This lad dads.

This thread is pretty relevant to me. I just recently found out I was going to be a father about a month ago, and thus far I’ve had to make major compromises to the direction I thought my life would go in. Just had to drop a few classes so I could start working full time and still stay healthy.

I haven’t been “hardcore” in years but heh with this revelation I’m probably gonna be perma benched as a raider.

Speaking as a geriatric nurse, you really don't want your kids to look back and think "Why should I get Dad the epic quality Depends and not the quest blues from Dollar Tree?".
This is why I don't have kids.

That sounds like a thing that gets in the way.

But I'd have it next to you while you game, I suppose. Then touch it and such when it was awake. Then I'd talk about what was going on when it was awake, "Oh yes, I'm a murder hobo and those creatures have to die. Yes, this is what Daddy does with his life."

It doesn't really matter, as long as you are not neglecting it. I'm amazed how much better puppies are even.
Tried to do it in MoP with twins. Arranged it with my wife to have a few hours once a week to raid, but life happened and we just couldn't do it. At least not with our sanity intact. No tears shed, just life. You can still play (I did) but be prepared to get up at a moment's notice.