[RP Resource] Alchemy and Herb Guide

World’s End Tavern: Role-play and Fan Fiction
Hey, World's End Tavern! So, since October 2017, I've been working on a project that documents the herbs and reagents of Azeroth, in great detail, from an in-universe perspective. I think it's finally in a state where I can release it. So far, it contains all the major herbs from every expansion, common reagents, and some of the rarer quest herbs. Since the guide is far too long to put on the forums, I've put it on a tumblr blog.

It can be found here:
http://herbalcompendium.tumblr.com/

I tried to look at where each plant is found, their physical appearance, the lore of the lands they grow, and what they are used for alchemically. They're arranged in several categories, such as region, properties, expansion, and environment so that it's easier for RPers to incorporate them into their RP.

Here's a sample entry, for Peacebloom:

Peacebloom

Colloquial names:
Chamomila, Sundaisy, Traveler’s Friend, Little Love

Physical Description: Peacebloom is a very common medicinal herb found across Azeroth, but most abundantly in Kalimdor, thriving against all odds in diverse soil and climate. This tendency, along with the herb’s properties, has earned it the name “Traveler’s Friend”. It can be found in the shades of Tirisfal, the verdant woodland of Teldrassil, the redrock of Durotar, and the lush forests of Elwynn most commonly. It is also said to grace the sunny plains of Mulgore and the golden groves of Eversong, as well as many others. Truly, a hearty little creature. Peacebloom, as the name suggests, is a symbol of peace and serenity, used in iconography and ritual as a plea for tranquil times, or as a thanks for the ones that have come to pass. It is a small but beautiful flower, with heart-shaped, lobed yellow-green leaves and slender, graceful silver petals. The center of the flower is a small pinprick of bright yellow loose pollen, sometimes collected as a pigment and applied to the eyes or cheeks by humans. I’ve often observed the children of Elwynn weaving the blooms and stems into flower crowns for one another, and have seen the crowns dried and hung from the walls of houses or hearths, kept forever as a memento of childhood and companionship. I have also seen it woven into the cribs of newborn babies, as its very smell and presence has a calming effect and odor. Its cohabitation affinity and hardiness are so great that the bloom can even be found growing on the bodies of creatures such as the Timberlings of Teldrassil, elementals that root themselves to the ground and feed off nutrients in the soil. The presence of Peacebloom among these creatures suggests that the Timberlings, and similar creatures, restore themselves directly from the Peacebloom growing on their bodies, or that the specific makeup of their bodies allows for this symbiosis.

Described usage:
Peacebloom is a common marketplace herb and is used to create more common alchemical potions such as weaker healing potions, a thin version of Troll’s Blood elixir, and potions of minor rejuvenation. A simple milling of Peacebloom flower in water with Silverleaf leaves, Earthroot leaves, or Mageroyal blooms will produce the aforementioned effects, respectively. These potions are also popular with instructors, given to students of alchemy due to the ease of acquiring ingredients and in performing, as well as to ease their anxiety. It is also used aromatically and as an ingredient to some teas. Flowers are draped in great bunches across the market stalls of Stormwind, usually taken to those in need of something tranquil and soft-smelling. As with potions, Peacebloom steeped and ingested through tea also lends restorative aid. Its smell is described as clean and herbal when boiled in water, and its taste very delicious, neither being too sweet nor too bitter. Its taste was described to me as “how clean sheets feel after a warm bath”. I’ve yet to meet a person that cannot be somewhat disarmed, even fleetingly, by the sight or smell of this bloom.

I want to give a HUGE thank you to my guild, Hollowlight Ventures, the community of Moon Guard for the support and love they've shown me throughout this project. I'd also like to thank Cannibal on WrA for making an INCREDIBLE list of plants and letting me use it!(https://wow.gamepedia.com/User:Cannibeans/Plants). If you haven't seen it, you should.

I'm going to continue updating the guide, but I hope y'all find it a good resource! I've had a ton of fun writing it. Please let me know what yall think!
This is an immensely impressive, well-written and expertly compiled guide. Any sort of alchemist or nature-loving RPer definitely needs to check this out.
Alchemist here, and I have this bookmarked. You are my greatest friend ever, thank you for all the hard work and effort that must have been put into making this ever possible!
04/29/2018 09:00 PMPosted by Cannibal
This is an immensely impressive, well-written and expertly compiled guide. Any sort of alchemist or nature-loving RPer definitely needs to check this out.

thank you so much, cannibal. youre an awesome RPer and a great member of the community. I appreciate your work and support a lot.
This is fantastic. You deserve a very big two thumbs up my good person.
wow, guys, the responses to this have been amazing!! I’ve added a tag for “tea” because several people mentioned they used teas in their herbal RP. I’ve gotten a few requests for things, so expect to see some new plants here soon (:

three quick things (answers to questions I've gotten asked recently):
- it goes without saying you're welcome to share the link to the guide / forum post wherever! I wrote the guide for it to be used.

- If you’d like your character to know of the guide ICly, the most likely thing they would know is it is a book by a woman named Greaves, said to live in the forests of Duskwood.

- the best way to support the guide is to basically do what everyone's been doing already. commenting on the forum post, requesting herbs, voicing their interest, and being generally extremely wonderful. :>
hey guys, thank you so much for all your continuing support for this project! your compliments, support, and requests mean the world to me.

I've added five new herbs in two new entries, most of them poisonous. people have requested more poisons and kaldorei herbs, so I'll likely be working on the latter next. I've also added a "parasitic" tag in the properties section, a "caves" tag in the climate section, and some sub-regions for Kalimdor, the Eastern Kingdoms, and other places in the regions section (such as Khaz Modan, Lordaeron, Central Kalimdor, Argus, etc). I'll continue checking this thread, and updating it when I post new things!
hey all!

as a quick update, my guild will be selling a TRP3 version of the herb guide at this year's tournament of ages!

after TOA, expect some updates to the tumblr! cant wait to write about those BfA herbs.
as an update! at long last, I've finished all the major herbs from BFA. the guide is updated, I hope y'all enjoy what I've written! the herbs this expansion were really beautiful and had fascinating lore; I hope I did them justice.

your continued support is so very meaningful - thank you guys so very much for all the love you've shown for this project. I'll likely be writing about some of the minor BFA herbs here soon. :)